Menu

19.11.18

2018 Governors Awards

2018 Governors Awards

The 2018 Governors Awards on Sunday (November 18) in Hollywood, California were a star-studded affair. Lovely ladies joined Rosamund Pike and Lupita Nyong’o.

Emily Blunt: The ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ actress glimmered in a custom Dundas top and skirt with Jimmy Choo shoes and David Yurman jewels. Despite the plethora of crop tops we have seen, this sharp-shouldered style held my attention thanks to the luxurious mix of metallics.

Gemma Chan: The flowing shape of the ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ star’s Stella McCartney ensemble was accented with the pleated shoulder detail. The finishing touches and wrinkles bring it down slightly.

Amy Adams: She lightened up in a whimsical Schiaparelli gown. The refined silhouette balances the girlish pink tones and heart detail. A crushed velvet Tyler Ellis clutch brought in more feminine charm.

Kathryn Hahn: The skirt of the ‘Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation’ actress’s Rosie Assoulin Fall 2018 ensemble was the show-stopping piece. The black roll neck provided relief and it was a nice change of pace to see separates.

Regina King: The dramatic full skirt of her Jenny Packham ensemble was juxtaposed with the risqué top. This was an interesting departure for her.

2018 Governors Awards

Chloe Grace Moretz: The beauty was in the details of her custom Louis Vuitton ensemble which was inspired by the Resort 2019 collection. The layering and folds add dimension, but could read as sloppy to some.

Hilary Swank: The actress radiated in gold Armani Privé Fall 2018. I was pleased she removed the wrap and accessorized with a Tyler Ellis clutch.

Michelle Yeoh: The Malaysian actress was in soft blue like her costar Gemma. This Elie Saab Pre-Fall 2018 gown showcased her figure and imparted a whimsical romance.

2018 Governors Awards

Rashida Jones: This Reem Acra Resort 2019 gown oozed sophistication in the lookbook, but it hasn’t fully translated here. The Irene Neuwirth jewels and Giuseppe Zanotti heels play off the sparkly bow but the scarf and a new pose would have increased the appeal.

Maggie Gyllenhaal I foresee this Attico Spring 2019 gown being a hard sell with the graphic embellishment and draped waist bringing a distinctly retro mood.

Rachel Weisz: The new mum showcased her cleavage in a Brock Collection gown. It frames the bust, but the fit elsewhere seems off given the wrinkles.

2018 Governors Awards

Elsie Fisher: She was suited and booted in Thom Browne. Whether intentional or not, the tailoring takes a backseat to the accessories.

Amandla Stenberg: Her Celine Spring 2019 dress with Roger Vivier ‘Manhattan Maharani’ sandals was a playful, age-appropriate choice but is veering towards prom territory.

Ava DuVernay: The ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ director doesn’t shy away from colour and this custom Prada look presented an unexpected mix of refreshing shades.

2018 Governors Awards

Danai Gurira: The ‘Black Panther’ star turned heads in a flower-adorned Vivienne Westwood gown. The swirling gold fabric would have already made a strong statement but the appliqués dial up the drama further.

Zoe Kazan: I wanted to like this Valentino Spring 2019 gown for its pleated sleeves and pretty pastel colour, but it hasn’t translated onto the red carpet as well as I would have liked. It’s washed out and the Nicholas Kirkwood shoes and beauty look aren’t bringing it back to life.

Saoirse Ronan: Hitting a similar ethereal, minimalist note, the ‘Mary Queen of Scots’ actress was outfitted in Calvin Klein Resort 2019. The look captured the brand’s restraint and her otherworldly allure.

Elizabeth Debicki: I was expecting refinement from the ‘Widows’ actress, but I wasn’t expecting this dramatic beauty look. It played into the dark mood of her billowing Giambattista Valli Fall 2018 Haute Couture number.

Lucy Boynton: The ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ actress’s Rodarte Fall 2018 dress got the proportions of the flirty ruffles right. Roger Vivier pumps finished off the textured ensemble.

Thomasin McKenzie: The New Zealand actress stepped out in a detailed Schiaparelli Spring 2018 Haute Couture dress which felt appropriate for someone of her 18 years but also showcased a developed sense of style.

Kesha: The singer stayed true to her free-spirited aesthetic with this iridescent gown. The feather detail encircling her added more whimsy. The slit helped temper everything that was going on.

Felicity Jones: The ‘On The Basis Of Sex’ star kept things simple in a Miu Miu gown with asymmetrical neckline. The clean silhouette was a breath of fresh of air.

Constance Wu: Also in Miu Miu, the ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ actress took a more fantastical direction. The ornamentation helps counteract the pale gown, but it would have been more flattering in a richer hue.

Laura Dern: When she opts for texture, the actress doesn’t hold back. This Rodarte Spring 2019 gown was brimming with details from the twisted neckline to the micro-ruffled skirt. Her styling presented a very elegant finish.

Marina de Tavira: It was nice to see a Simone Rocha Spring 2019 ensemble at the event. The Mexican beauty brought out the bewitching charm from the complicated runway version.

Credit: Getty

2018 Evening Standard Theatre Awards

2018 Evening Standard Theatre Awards

2018 Golden Horse Film Awards

2018 Golden Horse Film Awards

27 Responses to 2018 Governors Awards

1. Sanya November 20, 2018 at 9:57 pm #

I really hope this was a bad photo moment for Elisabeth Debicki here. Don’t misunderstand me, but she looks extremely thin on this picture.

2. Fanny November 20, 2018 at 4:20 pm #

Danai, Emily, Felicity and Gemma are my favourites.

3. The original AB November 20, 2018 at 12:45 pm #

Danai looks amazing, she could make my BDOTY list.

4. Iva November 20, 2018 at 9:52 am #

Dani is the best here.

I also kinda like Felicity while Gemma could have been good but it turned out not so good after all.

Most disappointing is Rachel.

5. Lauren November 20, 2018 at 8:55 am #

Heavy sigh. The dresses these artist chose to wear to be featured for this award ceremony are uninspiring and very unpleasant to look at. If I had to pick a dress that’s the least assaulting to the eyes, it would be Saoirse Ronan in Calvin Klein.

6. CreoleLady November 20, 2018 at 2:37 am #

Danai slays all day. Stunning. Ava, the two toned aqua and green, j’adore.

7. phee November 20, 2018 at 12:56 am #

Emily and Felicity. By far…..

the rest are meh to super bad.
    I cant stand Danais dress. Its an ugly pattern and doesn’t sit well on her body.
    Gemmas dress looks like an 80’s prom dress.
    Regina, I don’t know what she was thinking.
    Amandas puff dress gives her funny proportions and is rather ugly of a dress.

8. Chris November 20, 2018 at 12:41 am #

Emily looks great.
    Amy looks lovely, I like it a lot for her.
    I love Kathryn’s look, a personal best probably.
    I really like Danai’s look as well.
    Laura looks good, much improved from her Emmy’s look.
    Don’t really like or care for the rest.

9. JHH November 19, 2018 at 10:55 pm #

Amandla’s shoes are nice and that is all I got. Excluding music awards, this is the worst red carpet of the year for me.

10. quimby November 19, 2018 at 10:07 pm #

The lighting on this red carpet was inexcusably terrible.

• Catherine Kallon November 20, 2018 at 12:27 am #

I totally agree. Some too light, most too dark

11. Charlotte November 19, 2018 at 8:44 pm #

Gemma Chan looks gorgeous, this color is divine on her.

12. Hannah November 19, 2018 at 7:41 pm #

Emily, Saoirse, Elizabeth – they absolutely rock.
    I also like Lucy’s, Felicity’s and Laura’s looks.
    The rest – I don’t really feel them.

13. justme November 19, 2018 at 7:35 pm #

I only like Danai’s look.

14. Vizual Ninja November 19, 2018 at 6:49 pm #

Amandla looks so cute! I’m kind of surprised with Emily’ look so much so that I’m not sure if I like it. Hate that goth make-up on Elizabeth, doesn’t suit her. I really like Felicity, Danai, Hillary and Kathryn here.

15. Amy November 19, 2018 at 6:46 pm #

Emily came through. She looks great in that number.
    Also love Ava and Danai. Great dresses.
    Felicity could be better but I will take it

16. TeaAtTwo November 19, 2018 at 6:22 pm #

I wish Gemma’s gown had been steamed and a tonal waistband

17. TeaAtTwo November 19, 2018 at 6:21 pm #

Amy, Kathryn, Hilary, Danai, Lucy are my picks here. I do like that Felicity looks more modern and younger again.

18. James November 19, 2018 at 6:19 pm #

I only like Danai and Emily is ok but the rest… GOOD GOD! Horrible ill fitting gowns 🙁

19. Ksenia November 19, 2018 at 6:18 pm #

Disappointed in Constance, Rachel and Felicity. The fabric of Felicity’s gown is a Failure Fabric: it is a fabric that either adds weight or adds blub where there is none. I don’t understand how stylists still don’t know to avoid watery silk, taffeta, sateen and shiny satins in general.

Rachel’s Brock does nothing for her except show of the Mama Boobs.

I want to see Keira Knightley in Zoe’s Valentino gown. It made play better on her skintone and hair.

Kathryn Hahn’s look is great, one of her best.

Emily’s Dundas kicks ass.

Amy Adams continues to dress with personality, god bless Petra Flannery.

I expect better from Gemma Chan. This is looks like off-the-rack Lanvin 2010.

I’m impressed by young Elsie’s style. Maggie never really disappoints me. I love her.

Laura Dern Return To Color Campaign 2018. Well-dressed event, generally.

• angela November 19, 2018 at 6:53 pm #

Spot on, but i think Maggie’s look aged her ans took away from her radience. Also its about time the Academy got rid of those ugly triangles as backdrop. Its been ruining Oscars red carpet pics for years now.

• Catherine Kallon November 20, 2018 at 12:28 am #

I agree about Maggie’s gown. I was deeply disappointed

• AnnieOh November 19, 2018 at 7:34 pm #

I agree 100% with everything said. Kathryn Hahn looked great and so did Emily– they both sold me on styles I’m not usually on board with.

20. Caroline November 19, 2018 at 6:07 pm #

Danai is my favorite here. By far. And Lucy.

• Catherine Kallon November 20, 2018 at 12:28 am #

100%

21. meme November 19, 2018 at 5:56 pm #

Emily, Amy, Danai, Elizabeth and Lucy.

22. meme November 19, 2018 at 5:53 pm #

Love Emily, Amy, Danai, Elizabeth and Lucy.

As usual, Chloe’s stylist hates her, Golden Girl Blanche wants her dress back from Maggie G., Zoe’s Valentino is hideous and Keesha looks silly. The rest are boring or fug. Can’t really see Laura Dern’s dress.