Menu

09.05.18

Models @ 2018 Met Gala

Naturally, the models were out in force for the 2018 Met Gala on Monday (May 7) in New York City. Here’s what these ‘heavenly bodies’ had on.

Ashley Graham: Channeling a bronzed goddess moment, the model donned an Atelier Prabal Gurung sequin-encrusted gown that introduced a dramatic, Met-ready sensibility with the long, satin-edged cape. The leg jut was put to work, with Taski jewels and Giuseppe Zanotti sandals completing the look.

Bella Hadid: I’m sure many will be raising their hands in praise that Bella opted for something a bit more covered than her naked bodysuit from last year’s Met Gala. This custom Chrome Hearts x Gareth Pugh design riffed on sinner and saint with the dark glamour of the latex corset and sculptural, villainous cape and fingerless gloves. This would have been all bad-girl were it not for the cross necklace and cross-embroidered veil that trailed behind her.

Cindy Crawford: The supermodel shut down the carpet in one fell swoop with this red matte chain-mail Atelier Versace gown. I wasn’t surprised to learn that this was custom-made for the supermodel, as it fit her impeccably. It also alluded to her iconic Versace Academy Award moment in 1991 with then-boyfriend Richard Gere at age 25—and, at 52, she is just as ravishing. Sure, there wasn’t much to do with the theme here aside from the crimson hue, but when you look this good, who cares.

Jamie Bochert: Like the other Saint Laurent looks we saw last night, this one followed the LBD form that was at best forgettable on such a night as this.

Adwoa Aboah: Perhaps Adwoa was subtly offering her own interpretation of the Garden of Eden in this green-patterned Marc Jacobs dress and buzz cut to match? Or, offering a stylistic interpretation of the green-with-envy vice? John Hardy jewels finished off the look.

Jasmine Sanders: I was floored by the opulent, show-stopping quality of this gown, which was one of several from H&M that we saw at the Met Gala this year. The undulating waves of gold lamé were indeed celestial with a certain hypnotic quality. I love that she also wore real red roses woven throughout her long braid.

Karlie Kloss: Wearing a precision-fit, custom Brandon Maxwell gown, Karlie very much stayed true to her minimalist style. It was sleek—yet safe—so I’m glad she added a bit more drama with her white rose hairpiece.

Gigi Hadid: Whereas her sister Bella walked on the dark side, Gigi offered a more heavenly offering in this scintillating Atelier Versace gown decorated with a feathered effect—angel wings, naturally. She accessorised with Christian Louboutin ‘Jonatina’ sandals and Lorraine Schwartz jewels.

Kendall Jenner: Looking every bit like a modern angel, as was the goal, the model impressed in an off-the-shoulder ruched top styled with sheer gloves and matching trousers, designed by her friend Off-White creative director Virgil Abloh. The ‘long train’ pants were meant to symbolize angelic clouds, but I was simply swept up in the striking yet delicate purity of the look.

Doutzen Kroes: This Sies Marjan moment was what happens when tie-dye and ombre meet at Confession…

Kate Upton: The satiny fabric of this Zac Posen gown didn’t really do it any favours in fit or execution. But I do like the radiance of the multi-hued gemstone headpiece, as that attempted to save the dress.

Ming Xi: This bubblegum-pink Atelier Prabal Gurung confection was another Barbie dream and a Met-worthy extravaganza, but even with the pearl earrings, I couldn’t find much of the theme here.

Lily Aldridge: Put rosary beads on a sweeping, lemon-chiffon Ralph Lauren Collection gown, and voila, it’s an ode to Catholicism.

Jourdan Dunn: This Diane von Furstenberg ‘Queen of Sheba’ cape gown was made all the more dramatic with the embellished neckpiece and Jourdan’s braided ’do.

Stella Maxwell: There would be no guessing which Met Gala she was dressing for, as this Moschino gown quite literally depicted Renaissance-influenced painterly images of the Virgin Mary.

Gisele Bundchen: What I most appreciate about the supermodel’s gold Versace gown was that the custom design was made of 100-percent sustainable silk-satin. A pair of Versace sandals completed the softly thematic look that could have easily translated on any red carpet.

Imaan Hammam: I know this cocoon-like Zac Posen monastic robe design may not be everyone’s cup of tea. But, I was thoroughly intrigued by the massive cape and all its mysteries. Plus, I like the whiff of Chopard jewels and the blood-red lip to top it off.

Winnie Harlow: We saw a few wedding gowns, but Winnie’s Tommy Hilfiger one by far took the cake with the extravagant headpiece a glorious work of art. The bigger the headpiece, the closer to heaven, clearly.

Emily Ratajowski: Sizzling in a liquid-gold Marc Jacobs gown styled with Messika jewellery, Emily flaunted her own bod with the seductive slit and the scoop back.

Joan Smalls: The golden-goddess aesthetic was clearly a popular one, with Joan accessorizing her Tommy Hilfiger gown with an extra-tall halo effect.

Taylor Hill: We had Jourdan in Diane von Furstenberg’s ‘Queen of Sheba’ gown, and Taylor rocked the designer’s ‘Cardinal Sin’ dress that toyed with elements of sin and saintliness in the cross rosary beads, vampy makeup, and dramatic black and red palette.

Fei Fei Sun: The model looked lovely enough in her solemn black lace dress by Tory Burch, but it was forgettable at best.

Kylie Jenner: We saw the wing motif in multiple forms, but Kylie took to wearing hers underneath her eyes for a rather, eh, progressive addition to this black hourglass Alexander Wang gown styled with additional Chopard jewels.

Irina Shayk: While it certainly checked the box on the theme with the golden embellishment and the feathery, angelic skirt, this Atelier Versace plunge gown seemed a bit familiar for the model, as it’s a seductive silhouette we’ve seen so many times before.

Bradley Cooper: The actor’s solution to the night’s theme was to keep it classic in a black Tom Ford tux.

Lili Reinhart: Here we have yet another H&M design, this one clearly inspired by medieval style mixed with the modern, diaphanous shimmer of the billowy sleeves and skirt.

Hailey Baldwin: I have to say I was impressed by the restrained elegance—by Hailey’s standards—of this Tommy Hilfiger slit-to-there chiffon gown. It was a sweeter moment for her, complete with the white flower crown atop her pink locks.

Credit: Getty

‘Everybody Knows’ Cannes Film Festival Screening Red Carpet Roundup

‘Everybody Knows’ Cannes Film Festival Screening Red Carpet Roundup

2018 Met Gala Menswear Roundup

2018 Met Gala Menswear Roundup

25 Responses to Models @ 2018 Met Gala

1. Maya S. May 10, 2018 at 6:54 pm #

I liked many of these. I think the models came through.
    Gigi looks so heavenly. I like Kendall’s approach to the theme. I don’t understand the hate for Bella. She looks breathtaking and had a very original approach to the theme. At this point, I think people just hate her. I like Taylor’s outfit. Doesn’t look that customey to me. In fact, less costume like that Rihanna’s for example. Jasmine looks great and I do agree that Hailey’s outfit was truly surprising in a good way.

2. clippy May 10, 2018 at 3:39 am #

bella is a poor man’s version of solange’s look

3. Lara May 9, 2018 at 12:40 pm #

Immaan’s outfit was apparently a gown and cloak… see it in motion:

4. Lara May 9, 2018 at 12:37 pm #

Imaan Hammam was spectacular. That face! And that was a tricky outfit to wear… She more than pulled it off, she elevated it. I actually find that outfit to one of the most memorable takes on the theme. The majority of the others are just okay, but nothing too special. If Taylor Hill had removed the rosary and matching earrings, I could have like her presentation.

5. May May 9, 2018 at 11:38 am #

I must be in the minority of actually loving Bella’s look. She kept to the theme and her personality. She was one of my best dressed (along with Zendaya and Amber Heard)

6. Original Meme May 9, 2018 at 10:43 am #

Kylie’s a model now?

• Catherine Kallon May 9, 2018 at 12:35 pm #

I added her here as I hadn’t given her her own post and need to close this and move onto cannes thanks

7. Maria F. May 9, 2018 at 9:37 am #

Bella’s was too overworked for me, but Gigi looked glorious in her stained glass dress.

I did not like Taylor’s dress at all, as another poster said, it looked like a costume and was way too literal.

I am sure that one could have designed a better dress for Gisele from the sustainable silk.

8. Christine May 9, 2018 at 8:35 am #

Bella, Jasmine and Taylor Hill look good

9. Trinny May 9, 2018 at 5:34 am #

Winnie and Jasmine look absolutely spectacular here.

10. Alina May 9, 2018 at 5:25 am #

Jasmine and Imaan look gorgeous. The rest are forgettable.

11. Iva May 9, 2018 at 5:21 am #

I really liked Andreea Diaconu in Michael Kors (not shown here).

Gisele always looks the same, no matter what’s the theme. She should’ve stayed at home.

I like Imaan here. Strong look that she manages to pull off.

HM gown on Jasmine Sanders is surprisingly interesting and Moschino on Stella Maxwell isn’t bad as well (it goes with the theme).

Ming Xi – perfect look for Cannes.

Karlie and Kendall (and Fei Fei) – ok looks, but not for the event.

Irina’s dress reminds me too much of that worn by Blake Lively (last year?).

All others look completely hideous.

12. Tenacious May 9, 2018 at 4:59 am #

Most of these are just okay or I don’t like at all. There are some very pretty looks in the bunch but they do not fit the theme nor do they wow me.

Jasmine Sanders and Imaan Hammam are my favorites though. They have impeccable styling.

13. Mimi May 9, 2018 at 4:42 am #

Loved Gigi in the stained glass dress! I heard on E! news coverage from a reporter that was at Lily Aldridge’s fitting That the dress was meant to be the color of the Vatican’s flag.

Bella’s dress looked better without the cape.

Overall, Stella, Gigi and Jasmine were my faves of the models.

• Eni May 9, 2018 at 6:22 am #

14. moonbeam May 9, 2018 at 4:23 am #

Kylie Jenner isn’t a model lol

• JHH May 9, 2018 at 4:34 am #

• Camilla May 9, 2018 at 8:53 am #

Nor Lili, she’s an actress, right?

There are cooler photos of Doutzen Kroes’s outfit, which just looked fun to wear at any event.

15. charlotte May 9, 2018 at 4:09 am #

No to all of them.
    no one really pushed the boundaries and most of them just played safe, the results are utterly boring

16. brat May 9, 2018 at 3:46 am #

Jasmine stands head and shoulders above the rest, her hair was glorious. Imaan was also one of the best dressed of the night. Go to her or Zac Posen’s social media to watch her remove that massive robe/cape for an elegant black gown underneath. On theme and slaying unlike the Rihanna train wreck. I like Kendall a lot too.

17. Caroline May 9, 2018 at 3:26 am #

Ashley: Should’ve saved this for another occasion
    Bella: What was the attempt?
    Cindy, Jamie and Adwoah: Didn’t even try
    Jasmine: Best of the models
    Karlie: Dear just stop attending all around and save us the effort
    Gigi: One of my favorites of the models
    Kendall: Classy and elegant but not for this occasion
    Doutzen: Why would she wear that mess?
    Kate: A failed attempt
    Ming Xi: Completely random
    Lily: I expected more. Mediocre look from her and RL.
    Jourdan: Slaying it
    Stella: She tried and it worked
    Gisele: One of the worst of the night
    Imaan: Spectacular
    Winnie: Didn’t get the memo
    Emily: A cheap mess
    Joan: Boring and lazy
    Taylor: That looks like a rented costume for a Halloween party
    Fei Fei: Why bother in even attending?
    Kylie: Someone mixed up her invitation and she showed up to the wrong party
    Irina: Tacky yet I’m weak for her so I loved it
    Lili and Hailey: Mess.

• Elle May 9, 2018 at 8:20 am #

+1 on almost every single one of your comments!

Gigi, Jasmine, and Imaan looked sensational and are my top picks.

The rest are a mix of “meh” and “why?!”… Your Irina is my Cindy – nothing new, but with a killer bod like that, I cannot help but love it!

18. EmmaWoodhouse May 9, 2018 at 2:51 am #

Imaan and Gigi’s take on stained glass stand out here. Jasmine’s hair was beautiful.

19. JHH May 9, 2018 at 2:39 am #

Gigi and Bela look great here and I can see the theme in both. Cindy Crawford looks amazing (as does Karlie) but I knock points off for not making even a token attempt (see Bee’s clutch as an example) to be on theme. Kylie looks ridiculous. Strangely, I find myself bored by the others, especially the “leg.”

20. Riya May 9, 2018 at 2:30 am #

Winnie’s look was the best but Jasmine’s hair was absolutely amazing. It was the highlight of the night for me.