Menu

February 10, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

2020 Oscars Red Carpet Roundup

2020 Oscars Red Carpet Roundup

Before I get a chance to start the full Vanity Fair Oscar Party coverage – there are a LOT of looks to go through – and read all your comments, here’s a final sweep of the 2020 Oscars which took place on Sunday (February 9) in LA.

Lily Aldridge:  The model wore Ralph Lauren Spring 2013, beautifully draped gown.  Simple elegance is very much her red carpet M.O., so I’m glad she kept the red corsage, as it enable her to go bold with the lip colour.  Lily was of course styled with Bvglari jewels.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus:  There was many great looks, but Julia in Vera Wang made me gasp.  That colour, the fit.  She looked so sleek and sexy.  I would say was a personal best for Julia.

Salma Hayek Pinault:  As you know I’m always Team Salma.  I do adore this custom Gucci white one shoulder gown with draping on the bodice and sleeve.  It was so very flattering, but the hair and accessories felt a little cheesy to me.  With the crystal strap and earrings, I don’t feel she needed the hair accessory and cuff. Less should’ve been more.

Ralph Lauren Spring 2013

Julia Butters:  The 10-year-old ‘Once Upon a Time In Hollywood’ actress is a future fashionista in the making, as she sent a sketch of what she wanted to wear to the Oscars to Christian Siriano, and he happily obliged by creating this pink tulle gown. I think back to my 10 year old shelf, and I know that I would’ve done the absolutely most with a 10 foot long train and so many sequins that I would be barely able to walk in the dress.  The look was styled with Christian Louboutin ‘Nosy Flat’ silver glitter and PVC point toe flats, Lark & Berry jewelry and a pretty pink embellished clutch bag.

Chrissy Metz:  Christian Siriano also created a stunning red, beautiful draped gown for the gorgeous Chrissy Metz.

Olivia Colman:  Following her Stella McCartney Vanity Fair Oscar Party dress from last year, I’m surprised that ‘The Crown’ actress even considered allowing Stella to have a second chance, but credit where credit is due, this dress – and it reoccurring waist enhancing panels – were an improvement from last year.  I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it either.  The actress brought Conscious Luxury to the red carpet wearing bespoke Atelier Swarovski Fine Jewelry made with Swarovski created diamonds and emeralds. A Jimmy Choo clutch and newly blonde pixie cut completed her look.

Margaret Qualley: In Chanel Fall 2019 Haute Couture. Styled with Chanel Fine Jewelry.

Chanel Fall 2019 Haute Couture

Idina Menzel: Am I the only one wishing that Idina had opted for the lighter pink version of this J. Mendel Spring 2020 gown?

Maya Rudolph:  This orange sequin Valentino dress from the Spring 2020 collection is beautiful.  But I wish Maya had made it feel less like a shiny sack. With the dress and sandals, I get what she was going for – laid-back, I just threw this on elegance – but it didn’t work for me.  Lorraine Schwartz emerald and diamond jewels completed her look.

Rebel Wilson:  The actress was glowing in Jason Wu styled with Pomellato jewelry.

Molly Sims:  While I’m not the biggest fan of the pointy shoulders, this Zuhair Murad Spring 2020 Couture was still a beautiful creation.  I love the floor sweeping overskirt and thigh-high ‘shenti’ style slit. Christian Louboutin ‘Galativi Strass’ nude suede and mesh pump with crystal detail completed her look.

Zuhair Murad Spring 2020 Couture

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Tracee Ellis Ross In Zuhair Murad Couture - 2020 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Tracee Ellis Ross In Zuhair Murad Couture – 2020 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Saint Laurent @ The 2020 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Saint Laurent @ The 2020 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

36 Responses to 2020 Oscars Red Carpet Roundup

1. Guest February 17, 2020 at 1:06 pm #

I like Margaret’s gown but I prefer it on the model. Maya’s choice of gown is beautiful but I’m picturing someone such as Tilda Swinton or Iman wearing it and me breaking my jaw when it drops which didn’t happen seeing it on Maya.

2. Guest February 12, 2020 at 10:35 pm #

Olivia Colman’s look is so interesting, I really like it.
    Margaret Qualley looks fantastic imo.

3. Red Carpet Fashion Awards February 12, 2020 at 10:34 pm #

Thank you. I am just going back over the comments now. Very much appreciated.

4. Guest February 12, 2020 at 4:16 pm #

Nothing to write home about per se, but this must be one of the most flattering looks I’ve seen Salma in. She should stick with whoever suggested this for her.

5. WhiteLady February 11, 2020 at 1:53 pm #

Lily looks stunning, one of the best of the night for me together with Janelle Monae, Brie Larson and Geena Davies.

6. MissCoco February 11, 2020 at 11:12 am #

Julia, Rebel, Chrissy, and Margaret are the best! Specially Rebel. Love it.

7. Noor February 11, 2020 at 8:26 am #

So the worst dressed Oscar had ended up like this. I love the kid. it’s a pretty pink.

8. Guest February 11, 2020 at 3:51 am #

Julia Louis-Dreyfus – my fav of this bunch. (I’m a sucker for this silhouette). My only wish is that it was in a brighter color. The dark blue is a tad boring for me.
    Lily Aldridge – my second favorite.
    Rebel Wilson – best fitting gown.
    Salma Hayek – I’m in total agreement with you. The dress was beautiful enough as is without all the extra bling.
    Olivia Colman – While I really liked her makeup and haircut, I hate the dress. The cutouts on the sleeves and all that fabric makes it look messy and ill-fitting.
    Maya Rudolph – Again, I’m in agreement with you. Maybe what she needed was more a more flattering undergarment?
    Molly Sims – too much fabric made for a messy look. Maybe it’s the way she’s standing/posing because I do like how the skirt looks on the runway model. Like you, I’m not a fan of the pointy shoulders.

9. Guest February 11, 2020 at 2:12 am #

Rebel for BDOTW, she is a knockout!

10. Guest February 10, 2020 at 10:43 pm #

None of these impress me much. Rebel’s dress though fits perfectly on her and she looks the best she’s ever looked.

11. Kat February 10, 2020 at 9:18 pm #

Fair call re Kenzo!

12. Kat February 10, 2020 at 9:16 pm #

Lily, Julia Butters, Chrissy and Rebel for me.
    Lily looks like a vision. Julia B looks is living her best life. And personal bests from Chrissy and Rebel.

13. Guest February 10, 2020 at 8:53 pm #

I am so angry at Christian Siriano for dressing Chrissy Metz in this dress 🙁 He could do much better. She is still stunning but yeah I expected more from him.

As for my fave of this lot is JLD who always oozes class and wears the best creations..

14. Los_NGLS February 10, 2020 at 7:24 pm #

Very proud of Rebel and whomever is styling her, her past few outings have been lovely.

15. Guest February 10, 2020 at 6:46 pm #

I think Julia looks good but she always does. I wish she had done something different – that she rarely does.

16. _Hannah_ February 10, 2020 at 6:34 pm #

I think Rebel looks stunning – this gown is so glamorous and flattering.
    Julia L-D and Lily – also great looks.
    And again I am so happy that Christian Siriano is a go to designer for both big and small, grown-ups and kids etc. He’s so smart and talented.

17. Guest February 10, 2020 at 6:23 pm #

She was lovely. The sparkly top looked very Karl’s Chanel.

18. JohnM219 February 10, 2020 at 5:06 pm #

Rebel, Chrissy, and Lily look gorgeous.

I get what Maya was going for, but a few more tweaks (though I’m not sure what) could have helped massively.

Molly looks silly.

19. Guest February 10, 2020 at 4:42 pm #

I just wanted a say a massive thank you again Catherine for your amazing coverage throughout the whole of awards season.
    It has been brilliant as always!
    I hope it was as fun for you as it was for all of us who joined the ride.

I hope you have a lovely, long, well-deserved break 🙂

20. Guest February 10, 2020 at 4:37 pm #

“she sent a sketch of what she wanted to wear to the Oscars to Christian Siriano,”

It’s not everything a client asks u oblige. As a good designer ,u should know how to please a client and still make something nice and appropriate

Julia butters gown is too messy and too mature, shes a 10 year old kid.

21. Guest February 10, 2020 at 4:34 pm #

I know you guys dont like plus size women (not including lizzo’s grammy looks on the best dressed list) but rebel Wilson looks amazing and deserves to be on the beat dressed list.

Rebel wilson and Olivia colman are the only good looks on the list.

22. Guest February 10, 2020 at 4:19 pm #

In addition, I liked Adam Driver’s wife, Joanne Tucker, in ODLR (?), Hildur Guðnadóttir in Chanel, Christine Lahti in Romona Keveža, …

23. Guest February 10, 2020 at 3:39 pm #

Julia Louis-Dreyfus & Rebel Wilson are my personal favs of this bunch. Hollywood glamour shining through.

24. Phee phee February 10, 2020 at 3:13 pm #

Lily looks wonderful. Love the red touches. My fave of the bunch. She’s always so elegant.
    Most did a pretty good job though.
    Rebel looks great in her gold dress. Not liking the hairstyle but its a win overall for her.
    Julia, Chrissy, Margaret also look lovely.

Salma went ott with the accessories….cheesy sadly.
    Olivias just doesn’t make sense to me.
    Mollys is very dated.

25. Catarina_M February 10, 2020 at 3:08 pm #

Rebel is oozing old Hollywood glamour, I love it.

26. Originalmeme February 10, 2020 at 3:04 pm #

Lily looks stunning…she’s always chic and elegant. I like Margaret Qualley’s Chanel too. Salma is overwrought as usual and Maya is wearing a fancy potato sack. Rebel looks lovely also. That frou frou pink dress on Julia Butters looks like a costume.

27. Guest February 10, 2020 at 2:08 pm #

The key with pointy shoulders is NOT to pose hands on waist or anything else that further exaggerates the look. Rebel looks beautiful.
    Maya’s looks came alive on stage
    Lily Aldrige, beautiful but basic. She sounded a bit vapid in her red carpet celeb interviews.
    Idina’s looked better on TV. In photos it reads dated.
    Olivia… better in person but still not great. Love her hair though.
    Julia… too much. And the clutch needed to be down-sized for her age/stature. But I understand it had to be able to fit the turkey sandwich… lol!

28. Guest February 10, 2020 at 2:02 pm #

Julia looks great in blue. And Rebel Wilson looks beautful – very well chosen gown for her that flatters her shape, she looks glamorous and impeccable.

29. Guest February 10, 2020 at 1:56 pm #

Lily is one of my picks. Elegant, well styled, simple but not boring.
    The rest—meh. Nice but no standouts.

30. KseniaBradner February 10, 2020 at 1:51 pm #

Maya Rudolph and Rebel Wilson are the best. Everyone else is forgettable.

Molly Sims’ Zuhair Murad is why A-Listers and people with style don’t really wear his tacky clothes.

31. Inga🌹 February 10, 2020 at 1:44 pm #

Seconding to feature Hildur Guðnadóttir! Lily and Chrissy are standing out to me. Salma is so overcooked good lord.

32. Inga🌹 February 10, 2020 at 1:44 pm #

Yes please feature Hildur!

33. Guest February 10, 2020 at 1:33 pm #

Lily A looks stunning.

Please feature Oscar winner Hildur Guðnadóttir! She looked magnificent last night.

34. Guest February 10, 2020 at 1:27 pm #

Do love Olivia’s intriguing dress, love love love Julia Butters’ adorable story, and can’t help but notice how remarkably close Lily Aldridge looks to a bottle of Flower by Kenzo perfume.

35. Guest February 10, 2020 at 1:26 pm #

LOVE the simple elegance of some of these looks:
    Lily A, Julia D, Margaret Q, …

36. sueno February 10, 2020 at 1:10 pm #

Julia looks great, the fit, back detail, the colour, everything is on point. I’m little underwhelmed with Lily’s dress, it’s just meh.