Menu

January 6, 2020

2020 Golden Globe Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Jodie Comer in Mary Katrantzou - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Firstly, thank you for all your comments on our 2020 Golden Globe coverage the last 24 hours.  It’s such a great feeling when your efforts are supported, even if you don’t agree with the what is has been said. The support has given me a warm and fuzzy feeling, and an extra injection of excitement about the rest of awards season.

Here is a roundup of the rest of the attendees from the 2020 Golden Globe Awards on Sunday (January 5) in LA.

Jodie Comer:  The ‘Killing Eve’ was one of the many standout in this Mary Katrantzou emerald green A-line gown with puff sleeves.   I can’t say I love the design of the dress per say, but between the colour, the yellow feathery Jimmy Choo ‘Celeste’ clutch, her hot pink Nicholas Kirkwood sandals, and her Tiffany & Co jewels, she managed to see the whole look to me.

Jane Levy Steven Khalil  - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Jane Levy: The  ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ actress cut a classic Hollywood figure wearing a strapless Steven Khalil gown soft pink with red detailing that continued to her Tyler Ellis clutch and her beauty look. Some might feel that the red was a little played out here, but I love the drama of it all.  A look I’m unlikely to forget.

Sofia Vergara In Dolce & Gabbana - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Sofia Vergara:   The actress, who was presenting on the night, was back to her preferred silhouette wearing a burgundy strapless gown by Dolce & Gabbana with smoked topaz embellishment for details.  What I like about this is that it’s not in Princess Jasmine aqua hue.  The colour prevents this from feeling too brazen. Can’t stay I’m a fan of the clutch bag. The embellishments look inexpensive.  Lorraine Schwartz topped off the look.

Natasha Lyonne in Moschino - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Natasha Lyonne:  I have a question.  What does Natasha have against her neck?   Nearly every red carpet look of hers seems to make her look like  she doesn’t have one.  In theory I do love this custom Moschino dress, but I think the bow would’ve worked better had it been located more towards the back, like Nicole Kidman’s iconic Balenciaga dress, which we’re referencing for the time at this event. David Webb jewels, Jimmy Choo ‘Anouk’ pumps and a fan clutch completed her look.

Gillian Anderson in Safiyaa - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Gillian Anderson: ‘Sex Education’ actress opted for a white column Safiyaa gown with a twisted bow neckline detail and one-shoulder to add interest.  A Valextra clutch and Tiffany & Co. jewels completed her look.

Tiffany Haddish in Galia Lahav 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Tiffany Haddish: The comedian chose a pink full-length Spring 2020 gown designed by Galia Lahav, which was a surprisingly quiet look for the actress, who tends gravitate towards statement pieces during awards season. Pomellato jewels completed her look.

Rose Leslie in Ellie Saab 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Rose Leslie:  I was excited to see Elie Saab back on the red carpet, but as you know I’m not a fan of under layers that stop midway on sheer dresses.  So as  gorgeous as this green embellished dress is on Rose, that small element dampens the look.

Isla Fisher  in Monique Lhuillier 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Isla Fisher: This was another case of gorgeous dress that was just a tad too long.  The colour of this Monique Lhuillier Fall 2020 sangria off-the-shoulder column gown with draped bodice and (on-trend) puff sleeves is breath-taking.

winnie Harlow in Laquan Smith - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Winnie Harlow:  The model walked the red carpet wearing a shimmering black camisole dress designed by Laquan Smith that featured an alluring thigh-high slit. Christian Louboutin ‘Glennalta’ sandals completed her look.

Busy Phillips in Monique Lhuillier 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Busy Philipps:  Sparkling in a Monique Lhuillier Fall 2020 merlot micro sequins ruched slip dress, she was one of the many on the night who opted to match her dress to her clutch.  This one hails from the Tyler Ellis signature collection.

Michelle Pfeiffer golden globes

Michelle Pfeiffer:  The actress wore a chose a sleek Brunello Cucinelli sparkling knit top, tulle skirt with sequin detail for the event, which was typically simple and elegant.

Kate McKinnon in Prabal Gurung 2020 golden globe awards

Kate McKinnon:  The comedian attended event wearing a Prabal Gurung Pre-Fall 2020 black trouser suit that featured glitter embroidery. She completed the ensemble with black pointy-toe heels and statement earrings.

Amy Poehler 2020 golden globes

Amy Poehler:  The actress is very hit and miss on the red carpet, but in this Sergio Hudson forest green sequinned dress which featured a wide waist belt and gold buckle, she presented a beautiful red carpet look.

Rachel Weisz tom ford 2020 golden globe awards

Rachel Weisz: The British actress opted for a timeless look with a strapless black gown that featured a white accent at the neckline from Tom Ford, which  she styled with Harry Winston jewels.

Margaret Qualley chanel 2020 golden globe awards

Margaret Qualley: The ‘Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’ star presented her usual no fuss style wearing a simple black strapless Chanel which featured a single white camelia brooch from the Paris-31 rue Cambon Métiers d’Art 2019 collection.

Anna Paquin dior 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Anna Paquin:  This multi-coloured floral midi gown designed by Dior, was perfectly in tune with Anna’s dark and mysterious red carpet M.O.  Christian Louboutin ‘Glennalta’ sandals, and Anita Ko jewelry completed her look.

Toni Collette erdem 2020 golden globe awards

Toni Collette:  The Australian actress fell for the charms of Erdem, whose floral frock from the Spring 2020 collection, continue to bring me so much joy on the red carpet.

Glenn Close 2020 golden globes

Glenn Close:  This velvet gown that featured a tuxedo style bodice was lush in both colour, style and fabrication.

Credit: Getty

, ,

Beyoncé Knowles In Custom Schiaparelli Haute Couture - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Beyoncé Knowles In Custom Schiaparelli Haute Couture – 2020 Golden Globe Awards

2020 Golden Globe Awards Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

2020 Golden Globe Awards Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

49 Responses to 2020 Golden Globe Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. Guest January 7, 2020 at 10:40 pm #

You deserve that fuzzy feeling, you’re incredible Catherine. I have been following the blog religiously for more years than I can count!! Literally wake up every day, make a coffee and jump on. Thanks you three!!

2. Guest January 7, 2020 at 10:24 pm #

Jodie: the only thing I would have changed is to match the shoes to the lipstick in a slightly more muted colour.

Jane: just how lovely is this. Nothing that redefines the wheel, but just so nice.

3. Guest January 7, 2020 at 6:30 pm #

Passing hard on these except, Glenn, Margaret, Kate, Michelle, Busy, and Winnie. I love Kate’s entire look and same for Winnie. Toni’s dress and Amy’s belt are just bad.

4. Guest January 7, 2020 at 3:32 pm #

This was the worst red carpet in decades, maybe since the late eighties.

5. Los_NGLS January 7, 2020 at 2:58 pm #

Love the idea of that green Mary Katrantzou on on Jodie, but the front hem is poorly done, and I kinda wish she’d had a big jewelry moment like it was presented on the runway.

That Safiyaa gown on Gillian Anderson is divine, obsessed with the half sculptural capelet situation.

Totally agree with what Catherine said about Rose Leslie’s Elie Saab, and I think this is one occasion where a bit of lining would’ve been an improvement.

I want to love Margaret’s Chanel, but I’m stuck between a boring rock hard simple place.

Glenn Close oozes class and sophistication!

6. Guest January 7, 2020 at 2:55 pm #

Thank you to all the girls from RCFA for a great coverage.
    I’m looking forward to critic’s roundup.

Out of these:

• I liked the color-combo, boldness and the styling on Jodie (not sure about the dress itself).
    • Don’t know who is Jane Levy, but I liked her look very much.
    • I also liked Rachel Weiss. Yes, it’s black and it’s simple but still very elegant and sophisticated (Jen A should try this sometimes).
  7. Guest January 7, 2020 at 1:49 pm #

I adooooooooooore Jodie’s look ! Can’t believe you’re not a huge fan Catherine…

8. Sharon M January 7, 2020 at 12:30 pm #

Love Jane Levy’s look, but I would like it better without the red clutch. Busy Phillips…I like her a lot, but that hair! It always looks dirty and/or wet…she doesn’t have good hair, but she does nothing to improve it. Love Amy Poehler, and Glenn Close chose well…she looked really pretty. Margaret Qualley looked simple and beautiful.

9. Guest January 7, 2020 at 11:24 am #

Glenn Close and Gillian Anderson are the best here, in my opinion.

10. MissCoco January 7, 2020 at 11:09 am #

My favs here are Isla, Gillian and Busy. In general is a good round, none of them going too over the top or fashion forward but a lot of different styles, colours and silouettes.

11. Catarina_M January 7, 2020 at 9:12 am #

Thank YOU, Catherine. Awards Season isn’t the same without your coverage.
    Jodie was one of my favourites. I love everything about that look.
    Isla’s dress has an amazing colour, pity about the lenght.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 7, 2020 at 1:44 pm #

thanks Catarina x

12. Noor January 7, 2020 at 5:31 am #

From waist up Rose is beautiful and Amy’s gorgeous dress had ruined by a giant belt. That’s all I have to say.

13. Guest January 7, 2020 at 4:55 am #

jane, toni, amy look amazing. everyone else boring

14. Guest January 7, 2020 at 4:15 am #

BORING The house!
    Globes red carpet used to be easy glamour, there are people trying too hard to standout.

No best dressed for me but the closest was Nicole Kidman if only we didn’t see this design already…it’s a yawn even from versace.

Jlo’s forehead contour = messy
    Scarlett = almost perfect
    Renee = appropriate
    Margo Robbie = bland

15. Kat January 7, 2020 at 4:01 am #

We love you Catherine, and we see and appreciate all the hard work!

My fave here is Gillian, followed by Busy and Tiffany.

Some good looks this GG’s, but overall, I’m a little overwhelmed. Seemed to be more fit issues than normal. Don’t think there are any BDOTY contenders from me. Hope people step it up for the Oscars, instead of going too safe

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 7, 2020 at 1:45 pm #

Thanks Kat. Appreciate the support x

16. Guest January 7, 2020 at 1:25 am #

I enjoyed most of these looks. Tiffany’s might be one of her best ever!

17. Guest January 7, 2020 at 12:15 am #

Watching the awards season wouldn’t be the same without the RCFA window open. Thank you for providing us the red carpet commentary and content!

Been part of RCFA team since the beginning!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 7, 2020 at 1:43 pm #

Thanks for your support. So glad I came back x

18. juiho January 7, 2020 at 12:10 am #

Jodie Comer…..That’s exactly how I would like Villanelle to dress when she comes to assassinate me……. Sublime!

• juiho January 7, 2020 at 11:42 am #

Can we also wax lyrics about her makeup? It’s pretty flawless

19. Guest January 6, 2020 at 11:33 pm #

Oh Catherine! You are the “K” in my book (The English Patient quote)

Your work is impressive and full of passion. Keep that strong work ethic , girl 🙂

Queen Blanchett LOOKED abso.fu.lu INCREDIBLE! Reigna!

20. Phee phee January 6, 2020 at 11:12 pm #

Theres some good looks here….
    Jane Levy looks romantic. very pretty and well put together.
    I love Glenn Close’ look. That lush color and fabric looks fabulous against her hair.
    Margaret, simple elegant.
    Amy Poehler looks amazing. Personal best. I can imagine how awesome that glittering green looked in person.
    Tiffany actually did a lovely job and Gillian, as usual, looks refined and gorgeous.
    I adore Jodie but I hate her look. The dress is ugly and way too wide. And the styling is just too all over the place. No coherence.

• Phee phee January 6, 2020 at 11:14 pm #

Yes, thanks as always, for covering these amazing events, Catherine. I cant imagine how much time and effort and money you must put into this site….
      Im glad the commenters came out and critiqued!! the more the merrier 🙂

21. SarahS95 January 6, 2020 at 10:52 pm #

Incredible work Catherine – Loved reading all of your thoughts!! Looking forward to your event roundup with your ‘awards’ if you’ll be doing one they always bring me joy and make me laugh!!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 7, 2020 at 1:43 pm #

Thank you. I already have two that have been making me LOL

22. Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:33 pm #

Glenn Close, that luscious deep blue velvet against her silver locks, just stunning. Love how the vee neck, shoulder line and empire-waisted buttons provide shapely structure to this flowing look.

23. Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:12 pm #

I don’t mind the shorter lining on Rose’s gown as keeping some of the sheer retains lightness in the dress. Anna dress is nice but for a different event, like afterparty or luncheon.
    Kate’s suit and Gillian’s dress are both kinda nice. I like Toni’s dress but I might have liked it more in colour other than black.

24. Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:10 pm #

I just realized you didn’t feature Sandra Bullock. She didn’t walk the carpet, but there are good backstage photos of her out there. She looked great in custom Oscar de la Renta.

25. Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:03 pm #

I have been underwhelmed by this event but Jane Levy touched my heart. She is my favourite. Something romantic yet not cheesy. I adore her look head to toe! 💗🤩

26. Guest January 6, 2020 at 9:53 pm #

Thank you FC! I rush to this site whenever a red carpet starts.

27. Guest January 6, 2020 at 9:30 pm #

I miss the fashion forward side of Margaret Qualley’s style. I think back to the amazing custom Prabal Gurung she wore to the Met Gala a couple of years ago or the Delpozo gown she wore at the Toronto Film Festival some year. But somehow since she is an Emmy nominated actress, she keeps showing up in bland black Chanel dresses. Meh. :/

Also really underwhelmed by Michelle Pfeiffer. I mean, she’s Michelle Pfeiffer, so she looks great in anything. But she’s working with one of the best stylists out there and this… just feels like such a low effort and generally her looks lately have been a tad underwhelming.

Jodie looks interesting and striking at least, although the gown is a tad too shapeless to work for me. But I like the styling and love the color.

28. Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:43 pm #

Jane looks amazing. The gown is just OK but her styling, makeup and hairstyle elevates it to another level.

Dear Fashion Critic, thank you again for you incredible work. Best fashion website by far

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 7, 2020 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks Xan. Always a lot of fun. x

29. Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:36 pm #

Thank you FC! Amazing work

30. KseniaBradner January 6, 2020 at 7:19 pm #

Jodie’s gown is not a crowd pleaser but she styled it well. I’m not crazy about it but I applaud her for not wearing a column gown. Jodie’s style is kind of conservative, the opposite of her character Villianelle, but this gown is not conservative. For that alone and the gorgeous color, I am pleased.

Jane Levy’s look is lovely and made an impression.

Sofia’s tacky cheap gown is the worst of that brand and her most self-reductive look ever. It’s just lazy.

Natasha can do better.

31. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:59 pm #

Love Jane and Gillian’s looks.

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:55 pm #

Tiffany looks good too.

32. StJosephCross January 6, 2020 at 6:32 pm #

Thank you for the coverage!
    Jodi’s a tough silhouette to pull off, but I think she just did! Love the color and accessories too.

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 8:33 pm #

+1. Hair & makeup so good!

33. MissHebble January 6, 2020 at 6:31 pm #

I love Jane’s look – it is everything I love about old Hollywood but the print keeps it feeling a bit more modern. I like the colour contrasts of Jodie’s outfit but the fit of the dress is strange. I don’t like the way it flares from the bust downwards.

• MissHebble January 6, 2020 at 6:34 pm #

Also, thank you as always for the fantastic coverage Catherine. Second to none ❤

34. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:29 pm #

Jodie Comer’s look from this angle is a lot more flattering and looks a lot better than in the other shots I’ve seen where this dress screams third trimester maternity wear. I love the emerald green and the bright colour accessories.
    I adore Jane Levy’s look even if it’s nothing new.

35. CharlotteLG January 6, 2020 at 6:29 pm #

Jodie Comer make up is amazing!
    Too bad for such an ugly dress.
    This was really a bad year for the Golden Globes.

36. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:09 pm #

Thank you for your hard work Catherine! You are the real star of the award season

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 8:58 pm #

Absolutely, thank you Catherine x

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 7, 2020 at 1:42 pm #

thank you. this is very much appreciated.

Rachel and Emily also deserve praise for getting these posts up so quickly.

Best FCx CKx

37. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:08 pm #

Jodie was one of my favorites. Her bold approach was wild but balanced. There’s a lot going on, for sure, but it doesn’t feel overwhelming to me.