09.11.12 Interview

Meeting Up With The Kardashians

I was invited to interview the Kardashian sisters (two of the three as Khloe was on X Factor hosting duties), who launched their Kardashian Kollection for Dorothy Perkins yesterday.

Why did I go? Kuriosity of Kourse.

I thought it would be a great opportunity to meet the girls, see what they are all about, and dispel the rumours and preconceived ideas as I went in with a very open mind and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The interview, which I shared with Simon from The Very Simon G and Ella from Coco’s Tea Party, was very much like friends sitting around talking fashion – much like the discussions we have every day on this blog.

They were very relaxed, and surprisingly knowledgeable about the Kardashian Kollection line, which proved that they are doing more than just putting their name to something.

On why they chose Dorothy Perkins to launch their Kardashian Kollection:

Kim: The price point works for our fan base. It’s very successful in the US (Sears) and when we wanted to evolve we said what brand was respected, what brand represented us, who would really take our designs and make this a worldwide brand and that was Dorothy Perkins… we’re launching today in Malaysia, Singapore and later in the month in Israel and all these other countries… like 15 countries, so we met with Sir Philip Green and we just thought that Dorothy Perkins was the perfect location for us.

On their role for the Kardashian Kollection:

Kourtney: We are the designers…. we are such perfectionists.

Kim: I would say we are creative directors too, cause I have a big hand in… we all kinda have different roles: I love working on the ad campaigns; Kourtney loves finding the fabrics and the prints.

Kourtney: We are so detailed that every little thing… sometimes I wish I could like, someone else can do that, but we are such perfectionists. It’s so fun to be hands on. We take such pride in our line and we want it to be representative of us in the right way and we want to wear every piece and be so proud of it and we couldn’t not be involved in every step. You can tell when someone slaps their name on something. We are involved from the inspiration right through and it’s so much fun.

On Scott bringing out his own menswear line:

Together: He totally should.

Kourtney: He has met with a couple of people.

Kim: The two of them together (Rob and Scott) would be good.

On the Kardashian Kollection:

Kim: To me it’s sexy business wear. You can wear a lot of pieces to the office and then transition them into going out at night and having drinks.

On sorting out creative differences:

Kourtney: We have a two against one thing. Two sisters have to agree on it. Khloe had a design meeting on her own. We had to review all her notes.

Kim: Everything Khloe liked Kourtney and I didn’t like, so we had to out rule her.

On their favourite pieces in the Kollection:

Kim: I’m really excited about this one sequin dress which I’m wearing to the party tonight. It’s long sleeved and backless. It’s fun. I don’t do backless that often. When I do it is special and fun.

Kourtney: I love the tops because… I’m not… I mean, I do like wearing dresses but I love wearing outfits more as you can bring more style to the look. So I love wearing shorts and tights with some of the tops or a pair of pants with the top. You can do so much more with them.

On Kourtney’s style evolving since becoming a mother: When I’m in mummy mode, I love wearing flats. You can be chic and stylish in that mode too, but I’m all about comfort and what’s practical and when I am doing work stuff with my sisters it is fun to put on heels and dress up.

Kim on wearing flats: NEVER. I prefer heels as you walk so differently and you feel so confident so that’s why I wear them all the time.

On their perception of UK women’s style:

Kim: British women are so stylish. Just really effortless. Sometimes I think in the States we spend too much time putting it all together but I love seeing women that just look so cool. There is definitely a cool factor here.

On British Style Icons:

Kim: Kate Moss

Kim on Favourite Her British Designers: I love Stella… I love McQueen… I love their houses and everything that they stand for fashion-wise.

The girls later hosted a party with Sir Philip Green at Aqua in London, where Kim did wear that backless sequin dress with an illusion back and gold strappy sandals.

Kourtney stuck to her having-fun-with-separates rule, wearing a dotted, sheer black blouse with dotted tights, a black skirt and black lace-up pumps.

You can shop the Kardashian Kollection now at Dorothy Perkins US and Dorothy Perkins UK.

Credit: Kourtesy of Dorothy Perkins and Getty

Christina Aguilera In Marchesa - "Burlesque" Madrid Premiere

Christina Aguilera In Marchesa – “Burlesque” Madrid Premiere

Nikki Reed Talks About Her Mattlin Era Jewelry Line & Her Plan For The Upcoming Twilight Premieres

51 Responses to Meeting Up With The Kardashians

1. Lee Ann November 9, 2012 at 11:50 #

Did April Folls come early this year?

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 11:52 #

lol :D

• CreoleLady November 9, 2012 at 13:08 #

LMAO. I thought I was on the wrong blog for a minute. There have been strongly negative comments about KK from both blogger and commenters. On the other hand, I did notice Kardashian ads on this site which made me wonder. Guess we’ll be seeing more of ‘the girls”.

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 13:18 #

The ads are automated. I don’t have any control over that.

I was invited by the Arcadia Group one of the biggest British retailers for an opportunity to interview the girls. Only a fool would’ve turned it down. I’m not embarrassed about it otherwise I wouldn’t have posted it.

• CreoleLady November 9, 2012 at 15:31 #

Of course, a girl would be a fool to turn down opportunities to further her career. Congratulations on your interview.

• Beta November 12, 2012 at 08:23 #

great comment :D

2. jones19 November 9, 2012 at 11:58 #

Yay I’m glad you’ve had a change of heart. I have a soft spot for the Kardashians. Kourtney’s style is my favorite out of the three but Khloe has the best personality :D

3. haroula November 9, 2012 at 12:54 #

i will agree with jones 19 kourtney has the style and khloe the personality for sure ,did u like the line? can you tell us ur review on it?

4. robbie November 9, 2012 at 13:07 #

“We are the designers…. we are such perfectionists.” haha oh honey after seeing the collection i wouldnt be to proud to brag about “designing” such a tacky kollection.

• Nripsuta November 9, 2012 at 15:17 #

• Beta November 12, 2012 at 08:24 #

yes, I rolled my eyes at that too

5. vicky November 9, 2012 at 13:23 #

“we are the designers” LOL, it shows (tacky)…

6. mm November 9, 2012 at 13:23 #

I like them and have met them before, to me Khloe didnt let that pretty go to her head, for sure best personality.

Kim look is cute,sexy, love the shoes; lately all that leather she has been wearing looks ill fitted.

I guess the thing with this family is you like them but you find youself always complaining about their behaviour. LOL

FC your look fab who are you wearing?

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 14:33 #

thanks you…AllSaint leather jacket, vintage sweater and Topshop skirt

• StylistLiz November 10, 2012 at 18:40 #

I’m sure from all the comments in past to ban the K’s mainly Kim has given you “k”uriosity! I viewed all their collections from Bebe to Qvc to Sears and now DP. Not thrilled at all. Mainly they or their designers design knock-off versions but in a tacky way. What’s with all the animal print in very line? How about the ad campaigns?

Please tell us your opinions on the collection. Also how is the material and fabric choices? Were you able to view the collection hands on? Also it would be okay to have a post once in while only because they have upgraded to finer high end designers.
        Thanks and congrats again on your interview! Hope you have more and successful interviews and features! (Cross fingers for awesome designer interviews!!)

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2012 at 23:23 #

There were pieces in the room, but we weren’t taken us through collection.

The clothes aren’t my personal taste, but I’m not Dorothy Perkins target audience. I will have to go in store to have a proper look.

Kourtney was wearing a blouse from the collection and it looked cute enough.

7. Christine November 9, 2012 at 13:33 #

Glad you went in with an Open Mind. I am still not a fan of their fashion style.

Guess we will see more of the sisters on here now :)

8. Ade November 9, 2012 at 13:37 #

Good job on the interview FC, I can’t wait for you interview other fictional designers like Jacobi Mugatu from Zoolander and Jaq and Gus from cinderella :)

9. EmmaWoodhouse November 9, 2012 at 13:53 #

I’m not a fan of them by any stretch but the fact that you kept an open mind and could enjoy the experience shows a real maturity and professionalism on your part. Glad that you had a good time.

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 14:33 #

• Shiva November 9, 2012 at 20:45 #

• kath November 10, 2012 at 04:53 #

I completely agree

• kiwi November 10, 2012 at 09:46 #

10. mik November 9, 2012 at 14:13 #

I actually really like this. I’m not a Kardashian fan at all (genuinely hate their public persona), but that doesn’t mean I think they are bad individual people.

I really admire you for this. Everyone should be given a chance, weather you like them or not.
    And, I think you did a really good job, If you had labeled ‘kim” or ‘kourtney’ as any other random person I would of come away liking the people.

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 14:33 #

Thank you….I’m glad you totally get it

11. Lisa November 9, 2012 at 14:42 #

I also thought you made the right decision to interview them. I dont think VB was highly thought of as a designer when she started, so its good to keep an open mind.

12. Paige Nicola November 9, 2012 at 14:47 #

I think it’s wonderful you interviewed the Kardashians. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about fashion. It seems like these girl’s are involved in the design process and that’s more than a lot of other “celebrity designers” can say.

13. Odette November 9, 2012 at 15:04 #

Even though I am sure in person they are like everyone’s girlfriend and are fun to go clubbing with or grab a bite to eat, the way they present themselves is grotesque and contributes to female objectification.

They are still tacky and lack class at the end of the day. It doesn’t really matter if they are pleasant enough in person; the way they present themselves has made them larger than life.

I met Paris Hilton when I was 15 in LA- she was at the same restaurant. She was nice. But she is still Paris Hilton. Do you get what I mean?

• Linda November 9, 2012 at 16:28 #

Yes, I do, and well said.

• Laura November 9, 2012 at 17:02 #

Totally agree. They represent everything i would never want my daughters or nieces to be and sooner they disappear the better.

• MEME November 9, 2012 at 21:05 #

I totally agree.

• Ruth November 9, 2012 at 21:49 #

I liked FC’s interview. If the “Klan” could represent themselves like that instead of the usual vapid media attention goers, they’d have more respect.

I also think the whole “K” thing is tacky.

• Kaylie November 9, 2012 at 23:36 #

Agreed.

• micheline November 11, 2012 at 17:02 #

Well said. They are vulgar, and their bid to ‘design’ clothes smacks of cheap opportunism. This is like if Katie Price, Pamela Anderson, or Shauna Sand decided to design clothes. Even considering the Kardashians as legitimate designers cheapens what real designers do. Please, please no more Kardashians on this site…

14. Elaine November 9, 2012 at 15:07 #

This was interesting and came as such a surprise considering previous posts but I must say I admire your openness and professionalism.
    I’m curious to know whether you thought they were genuine? Did you like any pieces of the collection? Are they as stunning in real life?!

• Francois Bresmal November 9, 2012 at 17:50 #

Exactly what I wanted to aaaaask :D Can’t wait to have your answer FC!

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 18:03 #

they are pretty in real life.

I can spot a phoney from a mile off and I found them to be very genuine and real. Like I said I was pleasantly surprised.

The camera makes them appear bigger than they are because they are quite petite. Kourtney is tiny as you can see in the picture with me standing next to her.

15. AJ November 9, 2012 at 17:35 #

SO glad you went and interviewed them! I’m a huge fan of theirs and yours so I’m so excited! Hopefully we’ll be seeing more of them on this website!

16. Joy November 9, 2012 at 17:38 #

FC, good for you for doing the interview. Whether we like it or not they are here to stay. You wouldn’t be you if you didn’t approach the opportunity with an open mind and the professionalism you bring to your blog everyday. That’s why we ALL love following your blog. :)

I don’t think their line can ever be taken seriously. No matter what they do or say. As much as the Kardashians wish they could put themselves in the same class as VB it is NEVER going to happen.

BTW, that has to be the WORST photchop I’ve ever seen. The second picture of Khloe gave me good laugh and then the last picture was just cartoon like.

The interview was a fun read though!

• Fashion Critic November 9, 2012 at 18:06 #

thanks Joy. that was very kind of you to say. I really appreciate it.

• sara November 9, 2012 at 18:31 #

I agree that they will never be in the same class as VB, but I also think they know that. They know who their target audience is, and it is not Jennifer Lopez, Kristen Stewart or other huge, highly photographed celebs. They target their fans, the young women demographic who feel like a million bucks wearing their 35$ blouses bought at Sears. At the end of the day they are VERY smart business women which no one can argue with and their empire, although nowhere near as prestigious or applauded among fashionistas, may be neck and neck in profits with VB’s.

• MEME November 9, 2012 at 21:26 #

I believe their mom is the real brains behind the “empire”, they would be lost without her. That debit card scandal just proved that they aren’t good business women and that they will sign their names to anything. A real business woman would research before they sign anything. I think they are overrated.

17. Amy November 9, 2012 at 17:54 #

I really think the Kardashian are nice people. I can’t stand Kim but every person who’s met her or her sisters (celeb or non celeb) always say They are nice and friendly. That doesn’t change the fact they are ridiculous. What they do, and their public image have taken over who they really are.
    About the line Dailymail showed the whole thing. There are some cute pieces (black and lace) but as usual there are also some tacky leopard

18. sara November 9, 2012 at 18:20 #

I’m glad you went into it with an open mind. Like some of the other people here, I don’t like their public personas but Ive heard through mutual friends that they are actually really normal in real life. I’m glad you got to see that and can verify that as I trust your opinion and don’t think you would say that you walked away with a positive experience if you didn’t.

Aside from that, I hope you will be featuring them on your blog every now and then since no matter what- whether you like them as people or not or their style or not – they do have access to some amazing pieces and designers. I like pre-penelope Kourtney’s style better and Im interested to see/hear your with-kanye kim reviews as her style has changed dramatically. Kim has also worn many of the dresses/pieces you have featured on other celebs and Ive done my own comparisons and “who wore it better”‘s so maybe now I can see that here SOMETIMES :)

Also, maybe you can give us your two cents on their line?

19. GGG November 9, 2012 at 20:48 #

Kudos for snagging an interview with two celebrites! I believe Kourtney is the only fashionable one of the bunch and the only one I hope to ever see on this blog. Khloe seems lovely. Kim… Well, it’s just best that I don’t say anything so I don’t have anything nice to say. :)

20. MEME November 9, 2012 at 21:28 #

I agree with Odette’s comment. I could care less about the Kardashian’s or their line, I find them incredibly cheap and vulgar. That’s the way they present themselves hence why they get all of the negative attention they get. If they presented themselves as respectable, classy women, then people would be more inclined to take them seriously.

21. pipsqueak November 10, 2012 at 03:09 #

This interview secured your place in American pop culture, close to hosting Saturday Night Live.

22. joseph November 10, 2012 at 06:14 #

So does this mean now FC, that you will post them now on. On a strict fashion and style basis. Lets leave the past and their outrageous showings aside. . pls !?!? just want to separate both and enjoy seeing good and sometimes not so good posts of theirs wrt to the clothes.

23. Lily November 10, 2012 at 09:20 #

I expected more intresting look from Kim.

24. Jess2 November 11, 2012 at 11:41 #

Oh wow they are much shorter than I thought, I’m the same height as you FC and thought Kim was a little closer to our height.
    Glad it was an enjoyable experience for you FC and this interview just proves again how professional and dedicated you are :) you look absolutely fabulous by the way!

I don’t really have an opinion on the sisters and have no real preference with regards to the frequency at which the sisters a featured on this blog but I really do wish people would stop complaining about it!

Have to say that the third image made me laugh out loud due to the photoshopping. A little bit OTT in my opinion.

• Fashion Critic November 11, 2012 at 13:45 #

thanks Jess2.

I think most celebs are shorter than we expect.