Menu

August 31, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Lady Gaga Wore Five Looks For The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Lady Gaga Silver Area Dress 2020 VMAs

Even if you feel that Lady Gaga’s style is a little over-the-top, I personally want to thank Gaga for being Gaga on the occasion of the 2020 MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday (August 30) in New York City.

Yes, I’m going to bring up the 2019 Awards season – again, where the singer-actress was unrecognisable.

Granted, she was never going to wear any of the looks that she wore last night to the Golden Globes or the SAG Awards, but it would’ve been highly entertaining if she did.

Starting off with her red carpet look – which is the tamest of them all – the singer channeled her inner VMA Moon man wearing an Area Fall 2020 silver dress styled with Muscarella astronaut-style helmet.  This look also saw the return of her famed black platform boots by Pleasers.

I’m sure there’s a “does my bum look big in this?” joke to be had here.

Area Fall 2020
Lady Gaga  Iris van Herpen Haute Couture 2020 VMAs

Keeping the same Pleasers boots from the red carpet, Gaga took things up several gears wearing an Iris van Herpen Haute Couture multi-coloured which she wore to collect her award.

Does anyone else think this should’ve been a red carpet look?

I would’ve loved to have seen this without all the paraphernalia in the way.

Lady Gaga Christopher John Rogers 2020 VMAs

Lady Gaga has a knack of mixing the sublime with the ridiculous.

That was the case when she paired her gorgeous voluminous Christopher John Rogers Fall 2020 green ball gown and Lance V Moore face mask, which looked it was sprouting octopus tentacles.

Lady Gaga Christopher John Rogers 2020 VMAs
 Christopher John Rogers Fall 2020
Lady Gaga Valentino Haute Couture 2020 VMAs

Channeling her inner Victoria’s Secret rogue Angel, I think this Valentino Fall 2020 Haute Couture sequined bodysuit and white feather coat was my favourite look of this bunch, for its mix of glamour with high drama.

Lady Gaga Valentino Haute Couture 2020 VMAs
Valentino Fall 2020 Haute Couture
Lady Gaga  Candice Cuoco silver coat 2020 VMAs

The fifth and final look continued the space-age theme.

Keeping the same Valentino Haute Couture bodysuit, the look went intergalactic thanks to the Candice Cuoco silver coat.

Manuel Albarran’s bra and choker added a warrior princess vibe, with a silver mask from Maisonmet rounding out her look.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Miley Cyrus Wore Mugler To The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Miley Cyrus Wore Mugler To The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Keke Palmer Hosts The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Keke Palmer Hosts The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

15 Responses to Lady Gaga Wore Five Looks For The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

1. phee September 15, 2020 at 9:13 am #

Its wacky but very gaga and vmas. I like various elements of these but its a lot.
    I love the green dress the most. Its huge and I would of loved to have seen this on a red carpet somewhere.
    the hair and shoes are hideous.

2. Catarina_M September 2, 2020 at 3:19 pm #

All looks are great, but the Christopher John Rogers wins it for me. I love, love, love her makeup on the RC, she looks stunning.

I’m chosing to ignore those hideous platforms shoes, bothe black and white. They’re awfull.

3. Miss H September 1, 2020 at 3:04 pm #

I can’t explain why but seeing Gaga being Gaga has boosted my mood. Maybe in a weird way it’s a bit of normality?! I love the green gown – and I’m glad she is sending a message on mask wearing. Her speech was great!

4. Los_NGLS September 1, 2020 at 2:58 pm #

Gaga is the only person that matches my love of Beyonce :-), and perhaps exceeds it, because I know Gaga’s discography better, lol.

I loved all of these, with the Valentino Couture being a favorite but only marginally so. I think she went “soft” on the red carpet because she knew how hard she was going to go during the show, and I’m assuming there was very few press there.

I really loved every look almost equally, with the Valentino Couture just slightly above the others. Was VERY excited to see the Christopher John Rogers dress as I was recently ruminating with a fashion industry friend on what designer (of color) Kamala Harris would choose for her inauguration ball dress if (fingers crossed for strong WHEN!) Biden wins the US election, and Christopher John Rodgers definitely came up… and that would be an ABSOLUTE DREAM!

5. Viral Vora September 1, 2020 at 10:42 am #

I wish the IVH dress mask was paired with CJR – it would have been peak gaga – the color would work better

and I for one love the red carpet look the way it is presented – it also gives us a great look at her hair and make up which looks so good “pared down”

took me a few minutes to figure out what was happening with the Valentino look – i wasnt sure if it was her holding her arms up or she was wearing some winged contraption!

all the looks are a home run!

6. Fee September 1, 2020 at 6:50 am #

Gaga at her best, although to nitpick I wish the Van Herpen and CJR looks were paired with less jarring masks.

7. clippy August 31, 2020 at 11:34 pm #

I love all of the garments individually but those hideous shoes ruin it for me, ESPECIALLY that gorgeous iris van herpen haute couture that deserved to stand on its own.

8. James August 31, 2020 at 8:52 pm #

I feel as if Lady Gaga is stuck fashionwise . For me, she is dressed the same way she was dressed the first time she appeared on the RC. And that is my issue with her. I am bored of her over the top fashion and I actually enjoyed her toned down version from the 2019 Awards tours. Someone who goes over the top while remaining fresh and modern: CELINE DION. Even when I cringe or don’t like one of her looks, she always looks like she just got the newest outfits of a fashion catalogue. There lies the difference between someone who is fashion forward and plain try-hardness imho!

• P&P September 1, 2020 at 11:13 am #

Same. Despite all her extravagant outfits, she just comes across as boring and try-hard for me.

• Jess September 4, 2020 at 11:59 pm #

I’m so with you! It’s like her latest music videos….they’re like watching something that used to be cool, years after it’s cool. In fact I was surprised seeing her take home so much at the awards….there’s so many incredible new artists but VMA always wheels out the same group. Anyway….fashion!!! The red carpet look is killer, the makeup and dress felt modern and new…black shoes, vom!!! The green dress is a work of art!

9. TeaAtTwo August 31, 2020 at 7:18 pm #

Enjoying all these looks; some fun and exuberance is needed. I hope IVH gets red carpet rerun, without the platform boots. The Valentino Couture was made for a big stage or music video. Gaga could and should have infused more pop Gaga with her film awards season run.

10. John August 31, 2020 at 6:19 pm #

She did THAT omg!

11. dolan August 31, 2020 at 6:12 pm #

Agree with you on the red carpet look should be the IVH dress instead of Area. The Valentino feather look is the only look that doesnt have dress/mask clash. Other looks feels like the masks are afterthoughts. I wish the green rogers look can be better with a mask in the same fabrics and pulled up hair. The green look is glam neck down and the opposite neck up. And IVH made some great mask before, i wonder why the bubble gum pink one instead. since it’s couture, you can just ask IVH make a mask lol.

12. JHH August 31, 2020 at 6:00 pm #

I love every one of these looks, especially including the masks. Thank you, Lady Gaga for bringing it.

• Ruth August 31, 2020 at 7:23 pm #

The redcarpet look was weak nut apart from that everything was FIRE.

She looks great in that green gown