Menu

February 2, 2020

Catherine Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – 2020 BAFTAs

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - 2020 BAFTAs

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attended the 2020 BAFTAs on Sunday (February 2) in London with Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

If you’re having a case of déjà vu, you are exactly right. Yes, you have seen this dress before — although it has been close to eight years ago.

For the evening, Catherine looked back to her own archives and found this Alexander McQueen sweetheart gown, embroidered with gold Malaysian hibiscus flowers.

Many of you weren’t so keen on the dress years ago, so has the test of time changed your opinion at all?

I do like her updo and necklace, which updated the look.

I didn’t even mind the metallic Jimmy Choo ‘Romy’ pumps on this occasion, when I would normally be requesting a sandal.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , ,

Scarlett Johansson In Atelier Versace - 2020 BAFTAs

Scarlett Johansson In Atelier Versace – 2020 BAFTAs

Margot Robbie In Chanel Haute Couture - 2020 BAFTAs

Margot Robbie In Chanel Haute Couture – 2020 BAFTAs

24 Responses to Catherine Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – 2020 BAFTAs

1. Noor February 5, 2020 at 4:52 am #

Not a fan of dress. I’m wowed by her recycling the dress after such a long period. It should be appreciated.

2. Guest February 4, 2020 at 11:40 pm #

OMG… No one has mentioned how amazing she looks in this dress after EIGHT years!!! And three pregnancies during that time!!! Forget the styling… The fact she can still fit into the dress is the stand out point, and to improve on the look…!?! Incredible!!!!

3. Guest February 3, 2020 at 4:54 pm #

One of Kate’s best ever looks, this rerun is divine.

4. Guest February 3, 2020 at 10:48 am #

As we stand in the middle of the ‘conscious consumption’ debate, and fashion is listed as one of the highest contributors to the eco-crisis, and landfills, I am glad that someone as visible and impactful as her has demonstrated that its cool to recycle – even at such a huge event.
    I think the alterations to the sleeve make this outing of this McQueen number so much better than its first.

5. Catarina_M February 3, 2020 at 10:03 am #

I don’t like the styling much and she could have chosen to recycle a better dress than this one, but nonetheless she looks good.

6. Guest February 3, 2020 at 8:09 am #

Its the jewellery which makes all the difference. Last time she wore it, it was so drab.This time she brought some life to it; I can call her beautiful. I’m in minority here but i really like this dress, the print especially. Maybe it would have looked much better on someone else.

7. Guest February 3, 2020 at 7:46 am #

While I didn’t see the original look on her, I do like this dress. I love her hair, but not the shoes.

8. Guest February 3, 2020 at 5:40 am #

I like the dress. My first thought was -oh looks like an Indian inspired dress (maybe because of the gold thread work) But the styling throws the look off. I don’t think the necklace & earrings go with the outfit and the makeup seems to have aged her a lot.

9. Mady1908 February 3, 2020 at 5:39 am #

Still not a huge fan, however I admit that the dress is quite lovely, and I like the necklace.

10. Guest February 3, 2020 at 1:40 am #

Agreed! It’s clear she (or the crown?) owns everything she wears, and there were plenty of repeatables to choose from.

11. Guest February 3, 2020 at 1:33 am #

Agreed. It’s extremely matronly. Why go for bespoke MCQUEEN when you can get the same look for a fraction of the price from an at home fashion catalog? She also has much nicer dresses to rewear…

12. Guest February 2, 2020 at 11:10 pm #

Odd person out here. I liked the dress the first time, and I like it now. I like the up-do, and even though the Van Cleef jewels should go with this, there is something off. Someone else mentioned the color, maybe that’s it. But I really do like the dress and feel that she wears it well.

13. Guest February 2, 2020 at 10:19 pm #

Yes, there was a re-cycle/ vintage request. As most actresses borrow a dress anyway they’re more privileged than nominees in more technical categories as they didn’t have to really change their normal plans. But I appreciate she very obviously did a rewear of a dress well documented dress, even if it’s not my favorite. It wasn’t a dress we’ve only seen the collar on, so still “new to us”

14. Guest February 2, 2020 at 9:43 pm #

Nope, still a mehhh dress from a designer who has a world of dark glamorous beauty within her head and fingertips, and wastes it designing custom things like this. 🥱🥱

15. Guest February 2, 2020 at 9:18 pm #

This dress is not my favourite, but at least she followed the “dress code”, even if it seems not many people did!
    She has worn a lot of beautiful gowns over the years, I’m surprised she chose this one

16. Guest February 2, 2020 at 9:05 pm #

The dress is still ugly and the styling is even worse. Horrid look.

17. Guest February 2, 2020 at 9:01 pm #

One of my least favorite dresses of hers but I do love the styling much more and the gorgeous VCAA jewelry.

18. Guest February 2, 2020 at 9:00 pm #

This dress is just as bad as it was 8 years ago but kudos to the Duchess for repeating. Either there is a whole new readership of this blog or the old readers have changed. Life goes on.

19. Guest February 2, 2020 at 8:45 pm #

Yeah – I also want to see that dress in full.

But I’m afraid that it’s too similar to the one she wore to BAFTAs last year so she didn’t choose it as her recycled outfit this year.

20. Guest February 2, 2020 at 8:31 pm #

I had wished that she wear the pink dress that she wore to Prince Charles’ 70th birthday celebrations that we only got to see a peek of. I prefer the updo here but the going sans necklace last time. The dress is nice but feels very West London boutique circa mid 00s.

21. Phee phee February 2, 2020 at 8:21 pm #

Its a nice dress. I like it. Is she the only one that recycled n went on theme requested?
    I like the hair a lot. Not so sure the necklace and earrings were the right color for this dress. Although they are lovely on their own.
    She looks good as usual though.

22. Guest February 2, 2020 at 8:13 pm #

I wished she had blown us away with something spectacular (like that red Needle and Thread dress that she wore not too long ago).

But then again, I’m happy she followed the dress code request and recycled a look.

23. Guest February 2, 2020 at 8:05 pm #

As there was a ‘request’ to rewear something for BAFTAs, I knew that Kate will follow that and recycle sometning.
    Though I really wanted to see her in something new…

24. CharlotteLG February 2, 2020 at 8:04 pm #

The dress is really flattering on her but I don’t really like the print.
    And the combo updo/necklace/earrings is a bit much, not really modern.