Menu

Posted by Catherine Kallon

What do you do when you’ve already done the big gown thing at Cannes Film Festival?

You go bigger. Naturally.

Deepika Padukone was not about to fade into the background on Friday night for the ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’  premiere.

Despite some of her fans telling me I had no integrity for disliking her Dundas gown out of the many looks I have featured, I will still continue to critique her the way I would anyone else.

When JLo wore her Giambattista Valli Haute Couture gown to her ‘Second Act’ New York movie premiere, we ALL agreed that her gown needed a stage as big as Cannes to do it justice.

Well, Deepika proved it, because even she struggle to manoeuvre her
Giambattista Valli Spring 2018 Haute Couture green tulle tiered gown on this red carpet.

Do I love it?

I love it from the front on when her legs are visible, because when you don’t see her legs, she’s appears swallowed by the gown, and much shorter than she is.

I’m intrigued to see how this would’ve looked sleeveless, but I do love how the turban brought a traditional element to her look.

Stuart Weitzman Cashew Gloss Nudist sandals provided the finishing touch.

Embed from Getty Images
Giambattista Valli Spring 2018 Haute Couture

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , ,

Amber Heard In Elie Saab - 'Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Amber Heard In Elie Saab – ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Bella Hadid In Roberto Cavalli Archive - ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Bella Hadid In Roberto Cavalli Archive – ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

56 Responses to Deepika Padukone In Giambattista Valli Haute Couture – ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Guest May 21, 2019 at 7:24 am #

To be Frank I am not a fashionista but a deepika fan so I instantly liked the dress or rather I tend to look for the good in anything she wears. But yes you are right in all your points…..and please dont feel offended with the way her fans disagree with you…its just that as fans we tend to be very over enthusiastic,over protective and over hyped. Thank you so very much for all the coverage and we look forward to more honest red carpet reviews from you of deepika. Have a nice day and keep doing the good things you always do.

2. Jess Mara May 20, 2019 at 3:57 am #

I dont get it!

She seems swamped by all the fabric and while i love the turban i dont think it was right for this gown.

3. Guest May 19, 2019 at 11:14 pm #

This is bad bcuz she is not a stylish person in general so she’s trying way too hard and it comes off as attention seeking and ridiculous. It’s a shame bcuz she’s very beautiful and has a perfect body.

4. Guest May 19, 2019 at 5:38 pm #

Dear writer or contributor of RCFA,i got it that you didn’t like her two dresses in Cannes but please being a professional writer,fans off course will defend their favourite,but for you to share it in a article that supposed to be about fashion was so embarassing and unprofessional,if you truly was not effected by what her fans said,so why you have to bring it on your article

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 19, 2019 at 8:40 pm #

People need to know that it is not OK. I don’t like lot of looks, but I never get personally attacked.

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 9:58 am #

Critics always become some job that actually very biased..you can be so subjective,if you want to critics someone so you also have to dealt with the response,so why so bothered about her fans response??

5. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:16 am #

I just wanted to thank you on all the wonderful coverage you gave on Deepika this cannes film festival. You did a great job and i hope you don’t take to heart what those fans said. Some of us are just a bit enthusiastic about her lol. Keep up the good work though!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 19, 2019 at 8:40 pm #

6. Guest May 19, 2019 at 4:21 am #

Love her, she looks fabulous, rich, ready to be Rolls Royced to a gala. If anyone can pull this style and color it is her, a classy rumbera. Adore the rose tourban!

7. Guest May 18, 2019 at 8:23 pm #

This message was deleted.

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 6:57 pm #

“I miss the days when RCFA used to be free of personal attacks and comments.”

Than STOP attacking Catherine.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 19, 2019 at 8:42 pm #

It’s Catherine, and honey. I got a lot of abuse. I have deleted them all. I will assume you sent the comment as you know so much about it.

Enjoy your Sunday.

8. Guest May 18, 2019 at 4:31 pm #

that’s a headband and not a turban

9. Sharon M May 18, 2019 at 1:27 pm #

Wow…not in a good way. This is terrible.

10. MissHebble May 18, 2019 at 12:45 pm #

I love the turban and I think the colour compliments the gown well, but there is just toooo much tulle going on for my liking. I know it is Cannes but I would have kept the turban and gone for a more streamlined gown.

11. Guest May 18, 2019 at 12:04 pm #

OMG

12. Guest May 18, 2019 at 11:04 am #

I am in love with her I just saw her photos and She is just amazing met gala is zac posen games right She couldn’t wear this I mean
    and Why throw shade at fans when you also want to be clicked
    I mean this isnt your first post right

13. Charlotte2019 May 18, 2019 at 9:49 am #

Her fans seriously need to grow up and stop being so immature,we are judging solely the fashion and hold no ill intend towards the wearer.
    if you can’t take any criticism how are you gonna progress?

14. Guest May 18, 2019 at 9:39 am #

Kangana’s look is better than this ..

15. Vizual Ninja May 18, 2019 at 9:15 am #

She’s trying too hard at this point, when she doesn’t have to.

16. Guest May 18, 2019 at 8:37 am #

Hasn’t she done a similar look with Ashi Studio just last year. It was similarly pointed out on how it was more suited for met Gala than Cannes. She did the same thing this time as well. Her fans and country seem to love it so there’s that.

17. Guest May 18, 2019 at 8:21 am #

Hadn’t we seen a fuscia version of this concept on her last year? Sorry. not into this

18. Madwoman May 18, 2019 at 7:29 am #

love the turban. hate the rest. it’s too campy for a glam event like Cannes.

19. Guest May 18, 2019 at 7:00 am #

No, no, no, no, just no. No to everything!
    It’s like a green Big Bird costume….

20. CharlotteLG May 18, 2019 at 5:34 am #

The bow and the turban are too much IMO, the dress was enough by itself.
    It’s perfect for Cannes.

PS : it’s Douleur et gloire in french

21. Guest May 18, 2019 at 5:12 am #

don’t like it.. big doesnt mean better.
    and even tho i love giambattista, tulle is overdone

22. Guest May 18, 2019 at 4:42 am #

This would have been so much better suited to the Met that I almost can’t believe she didn’t wear it there. Here, I I wish she had at least taken the sleeves off.

23. Guest May 18, 2019 at 3:43 am #

Straight up disaster. All of it. The turban, the makeup, the tulle that makes her look like a chicken. This is a desperate “look at me” dress.

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 8:39 am #

+1 totally agree with the desperate part.

24. Charlotte2019 May 18, 2019 at 3:24 am #

GOD AWFUL.

Yesterday I commented on her being try-hard,well I guess she just topped that one.
    This is the ultimate try hard.
    that turban had no place near this gown,what was her thinking?

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 9:53 am #

Hello,this is Cannes off course everyone will try the best of them to show how can they pull a dress in theae big red carpet,you sound like a truly haters instead of a fashion critic,judging someone character based on their appearance on red carpet really so cheap

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 11:39 am #

but she looks soo bad that it’s actually funny

• Charlotte2019 May 20, 2019 at 11:59 am #

GURL….really?
      “Judging someone’s character based on their appearance”??When did I do that?
      Both of my “Try hard”comments were made solely in regard to Deepika’s red carpet looks, nothing against her as a person.
      Sure You can show off your beauty on the red carpet of Cannes,but when the results are so bad, you better believe people are gonna talk about it.
      Save your name-calling somewhere else and maybe learn some proper grammer next time you come for someone.

25. Guest May 18, 2019 at 2:15 am #

Am I the only one who loves this? So many models turn up year after year in the same elegant boring dresses. Deepika actually goes for drama and manages to give us show stopping looks. I love the head gear and the makeup is nice. And it’s a beautiful colour. Quite a look on the red carpet!

26. Guest May 18, 2019 at 12:15 am #

As big and obviously attention seeking, even louder because of the color. I don’t find it ugly. I prefer this to yesterday look, maybe it because it feels that is trying to do something different at least. I have to agree with Catherine, this would have look a lot nicer without the sleeves. Love the turban.

27. Guest May 17, 2019 at 11:22 pm #

Awful from head to ankles. The only passable thing is the shoes. Cannes is officially making me sad this year.

28. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:58 pm #

Forgive me.. but this looks ridiculous. She looks like a character out of Sesame Street and does in no way do justice to the gown. The turban looks out of place as well. Deepika disappointed sadly this Cannes..

29. HighPriestess May 17, 2019 at 10:57 pm #

………………….

(that’s all I have to say about this mess)

30. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:39 pm #

You have every right to critique the content you post in anyway you wish. The Dundas gown was big for big sake and she’s almost lost in this creation. She just about pulls it off because the colour is stunning on her.

31. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:25 pm #

You don’t have to be offended by the fans coz what really disappointed some was you not even including her in the best dressed of the day for people to choose their favourite since she already is on all major best dressed lists and some people who like your blog were expecting recognition from you as well. But yes I am absolutely in love with this look and you should have seen the way she carried it on the red carpet it was pure magic! I didn’t see any struggle

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 17, 2019 at 10:42 pm #

Hi Mandy, thanks for your comment.

I read every comment, to gauge if the readers would want to vote for the celebrity in the poll.

Shailene Woodley was borderline, as there were mixed comments, but there were no positive comments on Deepika, just like there wasn’t any on Priyanka.

If there were any positive comments on Deepika, I would’ve added her, as the polls are not about me, they are about the readers.

I can pick my favourites at the end.

32. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:04 pm #

These giant tulle gowns dont move me one bit anymore. Before I use to be so excited when I see a big tulle gown but now I’m just bored looking at them.

She looks silly. The colour is ugly.
    That turban is ridiculous also

33. Guest May 17, 2019 at 9:33 pm #

One the one hand, I love a big red carpet moment and it’s kind of fun seeing creations that one wouldn’t expect to see off the runway being worn. On the other hand, comical effect. I agree this would have been perfect for the Met Gala especially with the turban, which I wouldn’t mind seeing again on another occasion.

34. Guest May 17, 2019 at 9:20 pm #

Dear God. Another big tulle gown…

• Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:10 pm #

Both her Cannes looks seem like Met Gala backups

35. OGCaroline May 17, 2019 at 9:13 pm #

This goes straight to my BDOTY list and I know I have a soft spot for Deepika but this took my breath away.

36. Guest May 17, 2019 at 9:13 pm #

I agree FC…this seems more camp …she should have worn this for MET Gala n vice versa…havent liked any of her looks except the blue n white pinstripe suit n orange shoes combo

37. Guest May 17, 2019 at 9:09 pm #

This was unexpected I’ll give her that. I LOVE the first picture, turban and all. But I agree when her legs aren’t showing it’s not as good.

38. Phee phee May 17, 2019 at 9:08 pm #

Oi. she is utterly lost in all that fabric.
    That turban makes zero sense with the dress.
    It almost makes her look like a clown….with the turban, bows and ruffles and frills. wow.
    one of her worst looks.
    As per usual her face is perfection but thats all the good Ive got to say.

• Guest May 18, 2019 at 3:44 am #

The face is never perfection. Some really washed out business is going on here. Embrace the melanin, don’t fight it.

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

Very shame on you,she was always brown,even in this festival you can see her skin,and so sorry because every year she is always included in most beautiful woman in the world by many international media

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 1:15 pm #

She looks pale as a ghost and none of it is flattering. She was very brown at the beginning of her career.

39. Guest May 17, 2019 at 9:07 pm #

not a vibe that suits her or flatters her and the styling is just like a question mark to me. not a good direction for her, it’s way too overdesigned for her, had this been a custom watered-down version of the runway dress keeping either the top or the skirt and pairing it with something sleek it could have worked

• Guest May 17, 2019 at 9:09 pm #

she should keep the turban and wear it with something else, like a suit because she definitely has the face to pull it off

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 1:16 pm #

Strong disagree, she’s works much better with softer hair, the turban makes her face look very harsh

40. Guest May 17, 2019 at 8:57 pm #

A giant pile of tulle – Hell No(!) and the turban looks like a mismatched overkill here.