Menu

February 13, 2019

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Gucci – 100 Women In Finance Gala Dinner

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Gucci - 100 Women In Finance Gala Dinner

After making an appearance at the BAFTAs, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge was at the 100 Women In Finance gala dinner in aid of ‘Mentally Healthy Schools’ on Wednesday (February 13) in London, England.

Many gave her top marks for her last appearance and quite a few said it was one of her personal bests so this follow-up had a lot of expectation.

She wore a flowing Gucci gown which did not lack for femininity or sophistication.

The style maintained an elegant finish and never became girlish thanks to the muted tones and sleek construction on the bodice.

Her Prada clutch and Kiki McDonough earrings played up the subdued pink tones without it becoming too matchy.

What say you?

Credit: Getty

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features VOGUE Fashion & Film BAFTA Party

VOGUE Fashion & Film BAFTA Party

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Ashley Madekwe In Markarian - Premiere Of Netflix's 'The Umbrella Academy'

Ashley Madekwe In Markarian – Premiere Of Netflix’s ‘The Umbrella Academy’

35 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Gucci – 100 Women In Finance Gala Dinner

1. kane February 16, 2019 at 7:35 pm #

Does the job. And I mean that in a 100% nice way.

2. mirna February 15, 2019 at 9:35 am #

She needs to up her shoe game, in what world do the oscar de la renta glitter shoes fit with this dress??

3. Amy February 15, 2019 at 9:33 am #

She looks nice. I love the skirt and the velvet touch. However the bandage-like part on the bust is not very flattering. Anyway, she looks fine

4. Draylo February 14, 2019 at 6:41 pm #

Yay not Alexander McQueen!!! (not that I don’t love their dresses). This is lovely 🙂
    I respectfully disagree with those saying this is boring – only because I believe that there are certain restrictions and guidelines royals need to adhere to from a conservative standpoint, so I don’t think you can expect that kind of crazier fashion statement from Kate vs. Cate.

5. AnnieOh February 14, 2019 at 4:47 pm #

It took me a moment, but after looking through the other photos I actually like this. It is romantic and feminine and has nice movement. It is a little safe and boring (for Gucci)– but that’s her MO.

6. Tina K February 14, 2019 at 2:14 pm #

Now that’s what you call the Markle effect. First that one shoulder dress at the BAFTA’s and now this. Feels like Kate wants to up the ante now. But I don’t suppose she can have many good moments because her style is inherently boring and matronly. Meghan keeps it simple and boring decidedly. Kate will always be so no matter how hard she tries. And again having a fashion house make a dress just for their name, this clearly has nothing of the Gucci design aesthetic.

• Caitlin February 14, 2019 at 10:02 pm #

Must you turn this into a make-believe contest between the two women?

• AnnieOh February 15, 2019 at 12:18 am #

• Nat123 February 15, 2019 at 10:37 pm #

• Allison February 19, 2019 at 10:09 pm #

Why can’t Catherine be seen as doing something of her own free will, rather than it being because she wants to “up the ante”.

7. Cris February 14, 2019 at 10:52 am #

Weird dress…
    I think my problem with it is that both colours look washed out. Like a dress you’ve kept in the closet for 20 years and decided to wear it again.
    The pink panels around the bust area are not flattering.

8. Lee Ann February 14, 2019 at 10:11 am #

The colour is nice . Why oh why do people say this woman is well dressed ??? She isn’t . The hair is wrong the make up needs updating . The purse is too safe and don’t get me started on the dark pink net boulder holder. If she wants to wear a popular designer this is not the way to do so .

• elie February 14, 2019 at 5:48 pm #

I agree it’s not a good look at all. The bodice and the hair are not great. She has done way better than that

9. Iva February 14, 2019 at 8:47 am #

I kinda like the dress.
    But I hate the hair here.

• Fee February 14, 2019 at 9:36 am #

+ And make-up

10. Ann February 14, 2019 at 6:57 am #

Weird tailoring, I’m not sold on the top part of the dress. Not the BDOTW contender…

11. TeaAtTwo February 14, 2019 at 6:44 am #

Not another royal ditching British. I think it’s nice but not BDOTW contender.

12. moonbeam February 14, 2019 at 5:42 am #

I guess she’s not joining the Gucci boycott…

13. Dhppy February 14, 2019 at 3:59 am #

It looks like a bandeau was stretched over a leotard.
    Very odd. If she had ditched the lighter pink portion above the darker (bandeau) at the top, the gown would look much better. As it is, it reads background dancer in a dance company’s version of a wedding.

14. CC February 14, 2019 at 2:11 am #

You gotta hand it to Katie – always able to find the blandest looks from the most exciting designers.

• Camilla February 14, 2019 at 7:59 am #

Totally. If this had a tiger or a snake creeping down it in punchy embroidery or embellishment it would be so wonderful. I am just impressed to have never seen a more boring colour combination come out of Gucci, and that bandage-like top hugging her chest is such a flattening (not flattering!) way, MAN it’s drab. Something about it makes me think of Mary and Kitty Bennett from the BBC pride and prejudice serial always getting the worst pick of the dresses…

• Lee Ann February 14, 2019 at 12:39 pm #

Well said

15. Nat123 February 14, 2019 at 1:34 am #

I don’t mind the colors, but this dress gives me bridesmaid vibes.

• Sanya February 14, 2019 at 6:45 am #

I agree. This is such an ordinary look, there is nothing special about it. She looks like a bridesmaid and the dress is dated.

16. Susannah February 14, 2019 at 12:53 am #

I love Kate’s accessories, especially the shoes and she looks lovely as always but I really don’t like the bodice of the dress. The rose color looks like a bathing suit top that’s too tight and restricting around her chest.

17. brat February 14, 2019 at 12:26 am #

Catherine, she wore a bespoke tweed suit to the Royal Foundation’s “Mental Health Education” conference today. I much prefer that look to this. Can you post it please?

18. JHH February 14, 2019 at 12:25 am #

Waistband down, this is lovely. Belt up, it is a no from me. I find the little sliver of light pink fabric above the belt very annoying and the top portion of the dress is very unflattering. The earrings, though, are great.

• Vizual Ninja February 14, 2019 at 3:02 am #

+1 that pink stripe over the bust is so random. I like that it seems she’s going for more modern silhouettes when it comes to her formal wear.

19. meme February 14, 2019 at 12:23 am #

This is wonderful on her. I love it. Romantic and feminine and super pretty.

• Fiona-Brasil February 14, 2019 at 8:55 am #

+ 1

• Caroline February 14, 2019 at 12:04 pm #

20. Jess February 14, 2019 at 12:13 am #

She looks gorgeous and the colour is divine on her. I’ve always thought she looks good in styles that are “flowing” like this as it is a nice departure from her usual structured/tailored looks. The shoulders are particularly elegant.

Matching the purse to the belt was a nice touch and not too over done.

21. brat February 14, 2019 at 12:10 am #

While I can always count on an impeccable fit from Kate, I dislike this dress. I don’t like the two-tone, and unlike her gorgeous white McQueen at the BAFTA’s, I don’t feel this pale gown does her coloring any favors.

22. quimby February 14, 2019 at 12:02 am #

This is so good! I love the velvet accents.

• Jas February 14, 2019 at 4:58 am #