Menu

Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

It’s time to catch up with the menswear circuit, as this past weekend brought with it a slew of handsome fellows on the red carpet.

Richard Madden: At the Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2018 on Sunday (November 18) in London, Richard was ever-so-dapper in a head-to-toe Salvatore Ferragamo look that was striking in its sophistication.

Timothée Chalamet: Continuing to show us his sharp eye for style, the young actor riffed on the classic black suit at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ 2018 Governors Awards in Hollywood on Sunday (November 18). This Haider Ackermann Spring 2019 look offered such cool visual appeal in the jacket’s stained-glass, swirling pattern and shaping.

Eddie Redmayne: Speaking of cool-kids, Eddie will forever be one, especially with looks like this sporty Gucci ensemble at the ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ photocall in Madrid, Spain on Friday (November 16). Who knew a bee-emblazoned bomber could look so breezy.

Chadwick Boseman: Chadwick needed little else besides this Versace Spring 2019 python statement coat to make this look fashionably wild at the 2018 Governors Awards.

Idris Elba: Also at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards, Idris donned a custom Giorgio Armani Made to Measure three-piece suit that could have possibly looked a teensy bit more polished for being made for him.

Eddie Redmayne
: The day before the ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ photocall, Eddie was at the film’s premiere in another Gucci ensemble — and this blue plaid look was right in line with the slim-fitting, patterned suits he wears so well.

Rami Malek: Also at the 2018 Governors Awards, Rami wore a Givenchy ensemble. I love how the dotted dress shirt added a moment of subtle yet striking difference to the standard black suiting.

Andrew Garfield: For the Evening Standard Theatre Awards, the actor took an expected formal approach in this Tom Ford tux that was as classic and elegant as ever.

Michael B. Jordan: With an Ermenegildo Zegna Couture suit, he stood out from the mix in this sleek white dinner jacket at the 2018 Governors Awards.

Joel Edgerton: This petrol-blue Paul Smith tux definitely would not be missed at the 2018 Governors Awards. But, with a strong colour like this, the tailoring has to be impeccable — and it just wasn’t quite there.

Armie Hammer: Rounding out the list of men at the 2018 Governors Awards, Armie brought a bit of texture to his Ermenegildo Zegna Couture look with the embossed effect of the jacket. But, it still fell a bit flat for me.

Credit: Getty

Spotify's 2nd Annual Secret Genius Awards

Spotify’s 2nd Annual Secret Genius Awards

2018 Soul Train Awards

2018 Soul Train Awards

18 Responses to Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

1. Onegin November 29, 2018 at 4:10 am #

Another beautiful Haider Ackermann suit on Timothee. It’s a great example of how just a simple print can make a men’s suit look so fresh / unique / elegant.

Other than him of course Chadwick with the statement long coat. A different silhouette at least! The rest are the usual fare – meh!

2. Jas November 21, 2018 at 1:47 am #

Timothee wins again.
    Also loving Eddie’s Gucci suit.

3. Isabela November 21, 2018 at 1:06 am #

I like everyone here.

With Eddie and Timothee as my favorites, of course!

4. Fanny November 20, 2018 at 8:31 pm #

A lot of great looks. Timothee is my favourite.

5. Ksenia November 20, 2018 at 5:54 pm #

Timothee and Eddie in Madrid kick ass.

6. Lara November 20, 2018 at 5:43 pm #

Eddie Redmayne… a casual cool dresser you are not. Stop the pretense. That looks is so contrived it is not funny. His second look is of course in his wheelhouse. I don’t mind stepping outside the box but that Gucci is a joke.

Everyone else… decent showings. I find MBJ is getting boring. He used to be a red carpet fave for me until Chadwick. But here I dislike Chad’s jacket. Lapels not even lying flat properly. Love Joel’s suit colour but not the suit itself. Timothee is ok.

Would have to give the win to Rami. If nothing else, his tailor deserves all the praise.

7. meme November 20, 2018 at 2:27 pm #

I’ll take Idris (YUMMY) and Michael B (even though he has jacket issues). Both are so handsome. Rami looks great.

Chadwick deserves better than that ugly Versace coat.

Joel Edgarton’s suit is poorly tailored, as usual.

Only Eddie Redmayne could pull off that suit.

8. Chris November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm #

Love Timothee’s look once again! That jacket is so cool!
    Rami looks incredibly chic as well.

9. Lucy November 20, 2018 at 12:13 pm #

If u look closely at timothee’s jacket u will realise that the design on the jacket he is wearing are cut outs. It looks like embroidery or a print but they are actually little cut outs.

• Catherine Kallon November 23, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

you’re right… thank you

10. justme November 20, 2018 at 11:47 am #

I don’t always agree with the praise for Timothée’s style but this outfit is flawless. I love the jacket.

Eddie looks like my tacky cousin in his all Gucci everything. He redeems himself with the plaid suit though.

The more I see Rami, the more I enjoy his style.

I want to like Chadwick’s coat out of sheer loyalty lol but no, hard no.

11. joolev November 20, 2018 at 10:22 am #

Timothee’s blazer is really nice and I’m enjoying tartan right now so Eddie’s suit catches one’s eye.

12. TeaAtTwo November 20, 2018 at 9:32 am #

Idris and Richard my picks – I like both of them in those suits (and I just like them – i watched Bodyguard). Chadwick for that coat; his stylist always picks out the boldest long coats for him.

• TeaAtTwo November 20, 2018 at 10:20 am #

I was too busy being thirsty that I had ignored that Idris nice suit should better fitting and fit and cut wise Armie and Andrew’s suit are better in that department.

13. Mel November 20, 2018 at 4:59 am #

Richard Madden looks like an old school Hollywood movie star, I love.

14. JHH November 20, 2018 at 3:05 am #

I like most of these looks. Usually Chadwick looks great but this coat is not working for him. I agree with Adwoa. It makes him look like a gnome. Timothee and Michael look great.

15. Vizual Ninja November 20, 2018 at 2:40 am #

Same hot-steppers showing out again: Chad, Timothy, Eddie and Rami. MBJ gets a special shout-out, just because.

16. Adwoa November 20, 2018 at 2:30 am #

Timothee gets my vote, he looks fashion forward and smart.
    That Versace coat does not suit Chadwick; it’s too long and makes him look 4’3. Has anyone else noticed that his stylist seems to have issues with tailoring?