Menu

January 20, 2020

2020 SAG Awards Red Carpet Roundup

2020 SAG Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Here is a roundup of what I feel was a slightly underwhelming night at the 2020 SAG Awards on Sunday (January 19) in LA, compared to the Golden Globe Awards which gave us many dramatic moments.

Kristen Gutoskie:  ‘ The Handmaid’s Tale’ gave us one of the few princess moment in  Jenny Packham Pre-Fall 2020.  I adore the colour and the embellished details, but I’m a little unsure about the bow. Hearts On Fire & Mémoire jewelry, plus Stuart Weitzman sandals completed her look.

Helena Bonham Carter:  Love of dislike Helena’s style, the one thing for certain is that she will always keep things interesting.  The British actress, who took home the award, was decked out in a Self-Portrait check sequin dress from the Fall 2019 collection. Were the accessories OTT? Yes.  But subtlety has never been in Helena’s vocabulary.

Storm Reid:  Much like Sarah Hyland, the actress kept things young, fun, and short wearing a beautiful Giambattista Valli  Fall 2019 Haute Couture frock.   I love how the fraying of the skirt gives the look of layered feathers, and the effortless styling which included white Christian Louboutin ‘Optichoc’ pumps.

Amanda Brugel:  My breath was taken away by the actress in this stunning Sebastian Gunawan gown.  From glorious colour, the draped sleeves and complementary styling with the Marzook ‘Pill’ clutch, I would say this was one of the best on the night.

America Ferrera:  The actress had a little announcement to make wearing simple Paule Ka velvet dress.  The biggest surprise here is the lack of colour, yet America looks as beautiful as ever.

Margaret Qualley:  The young actress was a presenter on the night is known for her girlie, girl style, so some might find it hard to buy into this Chanel Pre-Fall 2020 suiting option.  The gold Chanel brooch and slick cut keeps me interested.

Nina Kiri:  ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ actress presented one of my favourite looks on the night wearing a Georges Chakra Fall 2019 Couture silver sleeveless dress.  Some might be put off by the sheer bodice, but I love the beaded tweed skirt and tulle hem, and the complementary Christian Louboutin Twistissima Strass silver mesh pumps with crystal embellishment.  Sheer done right for me.

Camila Mendes:  The design of the Ralph & Russo dress is beautiful, but I keep going back and forth between “something’s missing,” to “it needed nothing else.”  Thoughts? Swarovski jewels completed her look. Catherine Zeta Jones:  I have nothing but disappointment for CZJ and this Julien Macdonald dress.   The dress feels very dated for me.  She can do so much better.

Glenn Close: The actress was looking regal in this rich navy blue in Oscar de la Renta Spring 2020 dress.

Patricia Arquette:  I have no words for this as I’m in utter shock.

Priah Ferguson: If this Red Valentino Resort 2020 yellow dress styled with a magenta sash, Mulberry ‘Micro Seaton’ bag and Malone Souliers ‘Penelope’ pumps doesn’t banish your Monday blues, I don’t know what will. Atelier Swarovski Fine Jewelry By Paige Novick Collection completed her look.

Nathalie Emmanuel: I am very surprised by Nathalie’s choice in this Miu Miu gown.  It’s just wayyyy too much fabric with a bow.

Emily Hampshire:  Sticking to J. Mendel – because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it – the actress was a vision in mauve tulle.   Harry Kotlar studs and a pretty pink Tyler Ellis ‘Perry’ clutch completed her look.

Yvonne Strahovski:  I couldn’t get on board with the restrictiveness of this Khyeli Spring 2020 dress.

Logan Browning: The actress mixed ethereal – her Jason Wu gown. With an edge – courtesy of her nose stud, to present herself on the red carpet at the ambassador of the event.

Sadie Sink: The ‘Stranger Things’ actress was looking all grown up, but not too mature in her embellished Gucci gown.

Maya Hawke: As much as love this Giambattista Valli Spring 2019 Haute Couture bustier and trouser combo, Maya failed to sell it to me. Swarovski jewels completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Alexis Bledel In Temperley London - 2020 SAG Awards

Alexis Bledel In Temperley London – 2020 SAG Awards

2020 SAG Awards Menswear

2020 SAG Awards Menswear

28 Responses to 2020 SAG Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. Guest January 25, 2020 at 4:38 pm #

This bow for cleavage trend… hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2. Sharon M January 21, 2020 at 12:57 pm #

Loved a few…Nina, Glenn…but I agree with you about Patricia. From wearing dresses that almost expose her breasts to this horrid suit? Does she have a stylist, or is this her own poor taste?

3. Guest January 21, 2020 at 7:37 am #

My thoughts on a few of these looks:
    Best dressed in this bunch were Margaret and Sadie. While I’m not a big fan of pants on ladies on the RC, I was drawn to Margaret’s Chanel. It had a certain hipness to it, while the allover glitteriness glammed it up for the red carpet. Loved the hair and makeup.
    Helena – While I’m not a fan of her look, I admire her quirkiness and how she brings it to the RC. Those glittery shades are so her, I can forgive her for them.
    Nina – I thought the tweed and tulle clashed with each other and with the see-through bodice.
    Camila – I feel that the something missing was perhaps more color in the face. The sleeves and low v seem to draw the eyes down. A colorful lip along with those drop earrings would’ve helped bring the attention back up imho.
    Patricia – Yikes! My vote for worst dressed of the night
    :-O
    Logan – Beautiful color on her skin and overall beautiful dress, except for the extra underarm ruffles. A bit much, esp given all those ruffles on the skirt.

4. Guest January 21, 2020 at 7:04 am #

Just wanted to say thank you Catherine for your amazing coverage yet again!
    It will never cease to amaze me how you manage to get through so many looks and yet provide great coverage for each of them. I even get tired just following along with all the posts!

I hope you manage to get some lovely rest to recuperate before the next one! Thank you again 🙂

5. Guest January 20, 2020 at 10:55 pm #

I love Glenn Close, Sadie Sink, Storm Reid and Margaret Qualley out of these. I also think Helena Bonham Carter’s look is really fun, she the one person who can pull it off with that styling.

6. Guest January 20, 2020 at 10:17 pm #

Helena’s look is nuts as usual but all I can say is don’t ever change. Sadie, Glenn, Margaret, and Amanda look great. Patricia’s look leaves me speechless and not i n a good way. The rest are meh.

7. JessHarps January 20, 2020 at 8:46 pm #

A real good selection here, favourites are Glenn, Logan, and Nina.

The night was good overall – the big players disappointed (JLo, Margot, Nicole K), but ScarJo will stick in my mind for a while and the event was quite consistent

8. Guest January 20, 2020 at 7:18 pm #

Kristen, Nina, Emily and Logan from this roundup.

9. natgurl January 20, 2020 at 5:28 pm #

Storm Reid in Giambattista!! Absolutely adore! ?
    Nina Kiri: one of my absolute favs! Magnificent right down to the styling!

10. AnderBoBo January 20, 2020 at 5:05 pm #

Wow, Amanda Brugel is PERFECTION.

11. Guest January 20, 2020 at 5:03 pm #

Wow… Amanda Brugel… perfection!

12. Guest January 20, 2020 at 4:43 pm #

The green gown on Amanda is spectacular, indeed, I even thought it’s Atelier Versace. And Emily Hampshire looking lovely in mauve.

13. Guest January 20, 2020 at 4:24 pm #

Patricia!!!! What the hell is that?!

14. Isabela January 20, 2020 at 4:00 pm #

Amanda looks really stunning, she was definitely one of my favorites. Margaret looks kinda cool, i like it. Sadie, Camila, Logan and Emily look nice, but nothing new or unforgettable. All the others look somewhere between boring and dated.

15. Paola102 January 20, 2020 at 3:49 pm #

A couple of really nice looks:

• Storm: age appropriate cuteness
    • Amanda: beautiful colour, and fit and form
    • Nina, sheer done right, right on Catherine
    • Emily: she looks beautiful in that dress. the design, fit, colour.

The rest go from Meh to WTH did were they thinking!!!

16. Guest January 20, 2020 at 3:38 pm #

Is Patricia late for a Halloween party?

• Originalmeme January 21, 2020 at 10:22 pm #

LOL

17. Originalmeme January 20, 2020 at 3:34 pm #

No to all of this. Qualley looks like she’s wearing Karl’s suit. Catherine ZJ looks embalmed. Illusion netting should be banned.

18. Phee phee January 20, 2020 at 3:16 pm #

Omg I am in LOVE with Amanda Brugels look. Definitely a favourite along with Scarletts look. Divine!
    I love the draping, its just so cool and dramatic. Its def going in my bdoty list. Its so amazing.

the others go from nice to really bad.
    Glen does look regal and its lovely. Helena, Nina, Camila, and Patricia look various shades of awful.
    Margaret Qualley looks quite good. Some personality is showing through.

• Phee phee January 20, 2020 at 3:32 pm #

I am surprised you found the night underwhelming Catherine…. I found it quite delightful. plenty of good looks, interesting looks.

But then again, I actually vowed this year to not be so hard about what to expect. I think I have been expecting celebs to wow me a little too much these past years and then end up too disappointed.
      So imma trying to chill haha
      we will see how that goes come Cannes time 🙂

• ? January 20, 2020 at 3:42 pm #

I think I enjoyed the SAG awards red carpet more than the Golden Globes one, too. But maybe that’s because last night less risks were taken, thus less fails but more safe, maybe underwhelming, looks.

19. Guest January 20, 2020 at 3:06 pm #

Sadie Sink looks lovely. Fresh, youthful, comfortable, and her makeup has a dewy quality that is to die for.

Definitely noting the “grown up, but not too mature” commentary in comparison to Millie Bobby Brown’s bridalwear inspired by Celine Dion look. Whoever styles Sadie should give some pointers to Millie’s team.

20. Guest January 20, 2020 at 2:57 pm #

My favourites are Amanda, America and Margaret. Camilla’s dress is beautiful but it needed a bright red lip and more interesting jewellery.

21. Guest January 20, 2020 at 2:52 pm #

Correct me if Im wrong, but is Yvonne wearing the 183 ct Harry Kotlar necklace worth $25M?

• ? January 20, 2020 at 3:33 pm #

Looks like she does!

22. KseniaBradner January 20, 2020 at 2:20 pm #

Priah is so cute. Love her delightful look and her commitment. Storm Reid’s look is youthful and luxe, unlike Sarah Hyland’s look. Love Storm’s sweet look.

Glenn Close always looks chic and well-presented.

I like Helena’s look, I’m shocked it’s Self-Portrait. It’s Helena Bonham Cartner, enjoy the goth bonkers. I think it’s perfectly executed. She is true to herself, and the silver glitter glasses tie everything together.

The skirt and tulle hem of Nina’s Hobeika is done very well. Waist up is low-rent.

Amanda looks amazing in that green sequinned gown.

23. JR January 20, 2020 at 2:05 pm #

Oh Catherine, no, no, no, no. Everything is bad here. Dated dress, hair that looks greasy and unstyled and, what has she done to her face??

24. Catarina_M January 20, 2020 at 1:54 pm #

Amanda Brugel looks amazing!
    I also like Camila Mendes. It needed bigger earrings, perhaps, but nothing more than that.