Menu

May 8, 2019

Models @ 2019 Met Gala

Posted by Rachel Watkins
Models @ 2019 Met Gala

It’s safe to say the models definitely had their moment at the 2019 Met Gala on Monday (May 6) in New York City, where they came, they strutted, and they sizzled in various states of dress — and undress, as it were. Here’s a look at all the glamazon vibes.

Kendall Jenner: This supremely sultry Atelier Versace sheer gown with beaded and feathered embellishment is precisely the flame emoji personified in real life.

Sara Sampaio: For her first-ever Met Gala, Sara was full of charm in this August Getty Atelier Spring 2019 sculpted dress over a tulle skirt, styled with Lorraine Schwartz jewels. It sort of had the sweetness of a ballerina in a music box and a pretty cake topper — with a couture edge.

Cara Delevingne: The model channeled her inner Rainbow Brite in this Dior Haute Couture Spring 2019 tulle, semi-sheer jumpsuit paired with gold platform heels. The headpiece by artist Machine Dazzle featured a whole array of randomness like fried eggs, bananas, chatter mouths, and eyes.

Gisele Bündchen: Of course, the supermodel was stunning in this rose-gold Dior Haute Couture plisse gown paired with sustainable jewelry brand, Âme. She just looked like she was at a totally different event from her model friends.

Gigi Hadid: All sequined up, Gigi walked the pink carpet with designer Michael Kors, who referenced Cher and Liberace as inspiration. But, she also was giving us major ice-princess vibes right down to her icicle lashes.

Bella Hadid: With a pixie cut and provocative cutouts, Bella rocked a bejeweled Moschino gown whilst posing with designer Jeremy Scott who was the ultimate gem buddy.

Lily Aldridge: The model was easily one of the best of the night wearing a Richard Quinn gown.  I was instantly drawn to the mix of feminine florals, to the dominatrix-style VC bodice, with an extra dose of glam via the tulle train.  Bulgari jewels completed her look.

Lily-Rose Depp:  The model was true to form in Chanel, wearing a look from the Spring 1992 Haute Couture collection with Chanel Fine Jewelry.

Sofia Sanchez de Betak: This tiered, ombre Mango frock was the beautiful hue of the best sunset — and she had the citrus-y accessories to match with a tangerine clutch and Le Vian and Anabela Chan jewels.

Naomi Campbell: Pretty-in-pink took on new meaning with the supermodel’s custom Valentino Haute Couture chiffon gown and feathered cape — all topped off with lace leggings and lots of dazzling jewels.

Jourdan Dunn: She was positively blooming in this Zac Posen creation that was ever-so-fascinating with its 3-D effect that included 21 plastic rose petals. Of course, it’s all coming up rosy — until you have to sit down

Joan Smalls: Joan was giving us some serious tribal vibes in this Atelier Prabal Gurung embellished, midriff-flaunting gown with René Caovilla cage sandals, all the bangles, and a fluttery headpiece.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: There will be no question that Rosie didn’t look sublime in this ballet-pink Oscar de la Renta feathery confection. I do like the delicate nature of it all, even if it’s light on the camp theme.

Emily Ratajkowski: The ‘naked’ dress of the night, Emily’s Dundas design left little to the imagination — save for the flight of fancy in the winged appendages at her ears. The whole shimmering ensemble was said to be inspired by Cher.

Ashley Graham: Rocking head-to-toe Gucci x Dapper Dan — and a whole lot of hair jewels in addition to Hueb earrings — she was the logo queen and left not an inch un-accessorised right down to the very end of her long pony and crystallized fingertips.

Adut Akech: This floral Valentino Spring 2019 Haute Couture gown erupted with a bouquet of tulle at the bodice.

Karlie Kloss: Compared to Ashley’s Dapper Dan outing, this custom Dapper Dan mini with pouf sleeves came in rather tame.

Candice Swanepoel: It was only blue skies ahead for Candice in this slit-to-there Atelier Prabal Gurung crystallized gown with clouds of taffeta floating behind her. She used her ponytail hair as a headpiece of sorts, with infinity-shaped strands also laced across her forehead.

Credit: Getty

2019 Met Gala Menswear

2019 Met Gala Menswear

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex Unveils Her Newborn In Wales Bonner

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex Unveils Her Newborn In Wales Bonner

22 Responses to Models @ 2019 Met Gala

1. Guest May 9, 2019 at 2:42 pm #

The bottom petals on Jourdan’s dress can actually be removed. She took them off to sit down lolol

2. Guest May 8, 2019 at 7:57 pm #

Rosie and Adut are looking gorgeous and are BDOTW-worthy, but I don’t get camp at all. I also like Naomi and Cara. My favourite is Kendall, she looks amazing and on theme.

3. Guest May 8, 2019 at 4:28 pm #

Cara Delevingne and Emily Ratajkowski are wonderfully on theme.

4. Guest May 8, 2019 at 3:45 pm #

Kendall looks sublime. I wish that J-Lo had gone for something like this. It’s their glamorous comfort zone but still on theme.

I really like Emily’s wings. They’re cute.

5. Guest May 8, 2019 at 3:21 pm #

I find it strange that Karlie posted two whole videos of her preparing for and planning the met look.I mean I don’t get what’s designer about a very simple gold mini,let alone camp.She is the worst dressed

6. Guest May 8, 2019 at 1:51 pm #

Kendall Jenner looks spectacular. Ashley Graham looks terrible, for me a WDOTY candidate

7. Guest May 8, 2019 at 1:22 pm #

Giselle, Karlie and and Gwyneth should all compete for worst-dressed. Don’t cite pretend inspirations for a theme you just didn’t follow.

8. Guest May 8, 2019 at 12:19 pm #

Gisele why?
    She has the confidence and attitude to pull of any bold and showstopping look and then she comes with this boring gown.
    Same for Karlie

9. NZ May 8, 2019 at 9:41 am #

Kendall, Cara and Gigi really stood out to me. They really embraced the theme and looked absolutely terrific.

Also I really love Rosie out of this roundup even though she’s not really on theme.

10. Guest May 8, 2019 at 8:24 am #

Gigi, Cara and Kendall ? plus Josephine Skriver not shown here. Gisele and Rosie would look amazing at Cannes/Venice but it feels so safe for this night. Adut looks great but on the safer category too.
    I love Naomi’s look though I kind of want her in Julianne’s green gown.
    I would buy that Mango dress in a minute.
    Ashley and Karlie *Yawn and Yawn*

11. Charlotte2019 May 8, 2019 at 6:04 am #

kendall brought the fierceness to the pink carpet, and Jourdan’s plastic petals dress is so creative and she looked stunning in it

12. Guest May 8, 2019 at 5:31 am #

FC, did you see the meme comparing Kylie and Kendall to the evil stepsisters in Ella Enchanted? Had me laughing out loud! https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/07/08/13179310-7000015-Similar_schemes_Other_fans_noticed_similarities_in_Kendall_and_K-a-35_1557213407303.jpg

13. Guest May 8, 2019 at 4:56 am #

I wish you posted Josephine Skriver and Lilly Aldrige.
    At least they took some risk.

Out of these I like Jourdan’s dress and appreaciate Gigi’s look.
    Adut is cute and even Kendall looks interesting.

Sara is too petite for this dress which should have been saved for a different event.

Rosie looks pretty but always the same (see my previous post).

I give credis to Cara for trying something different.

Don’t like Naomi, Bella, Emily, Ashley, Candice, … the worst being Karlie.

• Guest May 8, 2019 at 6:44 am #

Also, kudos to Gisele for never following the theme but at least this time it wasn’t her regular body-huging dress.

Not that I like this dress (her boobs look weird).

14. Guest May 8, 2019 at 4:47 am #

Rosie at the last four Mets…

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 8, 2019 at 9:17 pm #

Hmmm

15. Guest May 8, 2019 at 3:33 am #

Kendall is orange is total fire – she is campy and amazing! I am so loving Cara in the stripes – one of my fave of the night for living the theme! Jourdan’s dress is crazy good and I think very campy. I find Joan’s belly button enhancing feather dress hole thing just weird and I am so tired of Emily’s desperate thirstiness. Candice, more of a theme adherence than Rosie but both just so utterly beautiful. Both of the Hadid sisters did a good job with the theme and they look great. Karlie Kloss is a head scratching disappointment – like thats the best you can do? And Naomi – well she will always be a queen no matter what she wears.

16. Guest May 8, 2019 at 3:23 am #

Kendall is one of my favorites of the night. On theme and looking like PB from her. Also love Cara and Gigi here.

17. Vizual Ninja May 8, 2019 at 3:02 am #

Sara’ dress is so lovely to me, I wish she had saved it for another carpet. Jourdan’ dress is so unique, an impeccable design, but I wish she amped it up on the styling. Ugh, Rosie is such a glam barbie who never really participates in theme but she always looks so stunning, it’s hard to stay mad. Kudos to Cara & Gigi for having fun, and sticking to the theme.

18. Guest May 8, 2019 at 2:58 am #

Oh, that dress on Jourdan is pretty and fascinating, indeed. She and Kendall my faves here. Also wish Rosie had done a bit more, but such a beauty nevertheless.

19. Phee phee May 8, 2019 at 2:56 am #

ok. Kendall looks sublime. Im in love with her orange feathery look.
    Of the women this is by far my fave. It stands out. Its got the camp factor but could work in Cannes too.
    Camp enough I think but still has aesthetic beauty to it. Its coherent and not a mess of ideas.
    I LOVE this! (and I never thought I would say this about any of these girls)

Caras was fun. and totally rocked hers.

Gisele and Karli totally bombed.

Rosie and Jourdan look outstanding but not on theme.

I can even appreciate the Hadid girls for trying. Dang.

20. OGCaroline May 8, 2019 at 2:45 am #

Kendall: WOW girl.
    Cara: YES. Expected more looks like hers last night.
    The Hadids: Surprisingly I’m loving both.
    Naomi: She really stood out this time.
    Jourdan: Don’t know about camp but that dress is a beautiful creation. Wish it was floor-length.
    Emily: When your thirsty and usually tacky style finds its night to shine and it really does.
    Those are my favs here.
    Sad about Rosie’s let down. Gisele is just embarrassing at this point.