Menu

May 5, 2015

Beyonce Knowles In Givenchy Couture – 2015 Met Gala

Beyonce In Givenchy Couture - 2015 Met Gala

Beyonce Knowles may have arrived fashionably late to the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ 2015 Met Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on Monday (May 4), but there was no missing the entertainer as she took to the red carpet.

She left little to the imagination in her custom Givenchy Couture gown. The nude trend has certainly had a moment at the gala, with the likes of Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashian each showing off their naked ambition.

But leave it to Queen Bey to take it to the next level, putting her toned assets on full display in this transparent number with strategically placed, candy-coloured gemstones, all topped off with a power ponytail and perky pink lip.

It’s hard to argue with such a statement when she’s flaunting the look like there’s no tomorrow. But sometimes enough is enough with the overexposure.

Sheer genius, or are you now completely fatigued by the see-through—especially given that she’s already had a Givenchy sheer moment at the 2012 Met Gala?

Credit: Getty

Miley Cyrus In Alexander Wang - 2015 Met Gala

Miley Cyrus In Alexander Wang – 2015 Met Gala

Fan Bingbing In Christopher Bu - 2015 Met Gala

Fan Bingbing In Christopher Bu – 2015 Met Gala

286 Responses to Beyonce Knowles In Givenchy Couture – 2015 Met Gala

1. scarlett May 5, 2015 at 11:51 am #

Tacky, tacky, tacky. What a joke. She’s Beyonce, most designers would bend over backwards to dress her for this event and yet she goes for this. She’s a beautiful woman who could have dressed on theme, in a classy way. But no she went the desperate for attention route. Horrific

2. Eri May 5, 2015 at 11:01 am #

she should be ashamed that Kim K looks more sophisticated.

3. Trina May 5, 2015 at 10:45 am #

The worst dressed celebrities of the decade list just go anotherentry!!

This is beyond tacky, cheap and she’s degrading herself by wearing this. She could look so beautiful and she wore a finely meshed fishnet with rhinestones on it.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 10:58 am #

Exactly. She is always perpetuating the idea that black women are overtly sexual animals unable to refrain themselves. Abhorrent, really.

• CreoleLady May 5, 2015 at 1:15 pm #

You, who just called Beyonce a “creature”, dare make this remark. Jaime Alexander, Gwyneth Paltrow, Miley Cyrus and many more have walked the red carpet tastelessly showing the goods and I don’t see you saying that this perpetuates anything about white women. The ugliness you have just spouted and attributed to her is almost as shocking as the non-dress she is wearing. Your remarks on this thread are moving beyond an understandable dislike of a look (I don’t like it either) to hyperbolic slurs that say more about you than the person you are commenting on.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Ask me how much I care about your opinion on me. Less than nothing.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

And 2nd : a real “lady” needs more than a name in the making. I think we are done.

• justme May 5, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

Thank you. There’s no denying that her outfit is ridiculous.
          But Marcel is clearly using Beyoncé to spout his/her racist views.
          The jump from commenting a sheer dress on one black woman to calling black women “sexual animals” says it all.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

Oh , you again. I didn’t call them animals ! I am a woman and have black ancestors as well. I was referring to the way some people see them when they portray themselves in such overtly sexy way. But I am wasting my time if I expect you to understand my words.

• justme May 5, 2015 at 4:55 pm #

Do I know you? Anyway, the fact that you believe your ancestry makes your comments okay is hilarious. What in the “my neighbour is black so I can’t be racist” logic hell?
              But yes, don’t waste your time. We see right through you and you allegedly don’t care so have a nice day.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

Im extremely glad we don’t know each other. And the less I know about you , the better.

• Georgia May 5, 2015 at 5:47 pm #

Ooh, Marcel, you mad? Your comments don’t even follow FC’s rules for decorum for this site. She must have been too busy posting to notice your inappropriateness on what it always otherwise a pretty respectful site. #Team justme & CreoleLady from a fellow Creole lady in Nola–Beyonce has let down her “people!”

• Patricia May 5, 2015 at 6:15 pm #

Don’t worry about this. Every week a few people show up calling “racist” to every single person who don’t like a black woman’s outfit or hair/makeup.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 6:47 pm #

@ Patricia : Thank YOU VERY MUCH, I call them the self appointed guardians of political correctness . They only see through one obtuse angle and want to impose their views on everybody.

• MEME May 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm #

Patricia that comment went way beyond the dislike of a dress, hair and makeup into a full on negative stereotype about a whole particular group of women, and that is the issue. I didn’t hear anything said like that about white women when Anja Rubik wore that infamous dress to the MET Gala a few years ago.

• justme May 5, 2015 at 9:21 pm #

Please, spare me the anti-political correctness bs.

Many people, myself included, have managed to express their strong dislike for Beyoncé’s outfit without mentioning her race.

If you want to take it there, at least, have the guts to own it.

• meme May 5, 2015 at 9:11 pm #

sometimes it’s best just to ignore the stupid ones.

• Genevieve May 6, 2015 at 9:04 am #

the ones like yourself ?

• Genevieve May 5, 2015 at 7:45 pm #

I agree with you Marcel.

• MsGolightly May 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm #

I don’t see how you could come to that conclusion based on her wearing a dress. Nevermind the fact that you completely disregard the zillions of events she attends, completely covered and clothed.

Shame on you.

4. Jas May 5, 2015 at 10:44 am #

I love Beyoncé but I feel like she wears the same dress every time, with more or less embellishment (material, in this case). This is unfortunately one of the worst I’ve seen on her. And her hair is the worst!

5. M May 5, 2015 at 10:39 am #

Hate it. The dress looks tacky and the Ariana Grande pony tail is not working. I don’t get how she manages to look this bad with access to every great thing the fashion world has to offer.

6. Jimmy May 5, 2015 at 10:15 am #

This was such a disappointment on just about every level.

7. Amy May 5, 2015 at 10:05 am #

you know you messed up when Kim K is better dressed than you. I love Bey but how is this different from her givenchy purple gown? This is a step back, her dress last year was flawless. This one is terrible. Even Kim did the sheer trend better, that’s pretty sad.
    The hair isn’t working and she looks tired. Sure she has a great body but this look is a miss

8. Regina May 5, 2015 at 9:56 am #

I thought the theme was China, not Vegas? Tacky and desperate, really. Look at the second picture. You can almost hear her thoughts: “You love me, right?? You adore me, yes?? Still? Please look at me! Love me, love me!!”

9. Blosss May 5, 2015 at 9:54 am #

This is tacky :/ what a shame.

10. Max May 5, 2015 at 9:40 am #

When you look like that it’s hard to look bad. Her body is amazing, I’m here for it. But the ponytail is meh.

11. charlotte May 5, 2015 at 9:39 am #

My eyes pains so much when I saw queen bey dressed in such ridicule.Words have failed me when it comes to describing how disappointed I was.
    bee deserves so much better!
    And one more thing, Since this year’s theme is “China”. Vogue China’s editor in chief Angelica cheung has invited an array of stunning A-list Chinese celebrities including Fan Bingbing , Li Bingbing,Zhao wei and Zhou xun,etc. But I didn’t see any post about them on this website.Not to mention the models who were completely ignored.
    How ironic?
    Where is Catherine???I need her right now!!

12. Marcel May 5, 2015 at 9:33 am #

Emperor’s concubine dressed up for carnival. I guess that was her idea.

• charlotte May 5, 2015 at 10:02 am #

honey,let’s face it. Even the concubine’s maid would’t be caught dead in this.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 10:54 am #

I had no words, really. I despise this “creature” in its wholeness( person + persona ).

13. fashionmint May 5, 2015 at 9:26 am #

can some one please tell me how is it anyways related to the theme ?

14. E May 5, 2015 at 9:13 am #

I’m just so over this dress style she seems to love, she looks tacky and cheap to say the least. I’m never one to favor Kim K, but even she looked better than Beyonce. This is just a sorry excuse for her to show all of her body to the world, nevermind that she decided to overlook the theme and wear whatever showed the most skin.

15. Fiona-Brasil May 5, 2015 at 9:10 am #

Just nay from H2T!That goes for the other 2 in similar style ( or lack of it! ) : KK and JL…

16. kane May 5, 2015 at 8:47 am #

I’m just not into her style or star persona.

17. jayt May 5, 2015 at 8:41 am #

I don’t care about what people think but I do think she owns it. Not everybody wants to look SOOO perfecttt, SOOO put together and make sure that everything JUST RIGHTT .. I think Beyonce just wanna fun with what she was wearing. To be honest, I’m really glad that she’s wearing this, it shows that this 33 years old queen still got the flavor. And hey, with she’s wearing this we can have something interesting to talk about.

One think that I don’t like about this, it’s a freakin dejavu for a Givenchy gown.
    I’m also not a fan of her hair color, I understand that it looks good when her hair goes down but it turn out to be kinda scary as her hair goes high ponytail. Maybe it’s the photo quality.

• LoreleiLee May 5, 2015 at 8:43 am #

Totally agree, she looks sensational, fun and her body is outrageous. I think it’s great! So nice to see her wearing something so playful and shocking. Perfectly fits with the costume vibe of the MET gala.

• kane May 5, 2015 at 10:36 am #

“Still got the flavour”? I just turned 31 and I feel my style is still evolving (certainly on a different financial scale) and my biggest fun of fashion is still ahead of me. I’m just glad that I am out of the woods in terms of role models and am not made to look up to the likes of Miley Cyrus or indeed Beyoncé.

• Marcel May 5, 2015 at 11:02 am #

The only “flavour” that can be associated is one of BILE.

• Georgia May 5, 2015 at 5:40 pm #

Wow, you are really giving her the benefit of the doubt. Do you really think that Beyonce, of all celebrities, doesn’t want to look perfect, a woman who keeps a vault of every picture taken of her, every video, everything? And the camera didn’t create that abysmal hair color; a bottle did. Perfect body, yes. Playful? No, boo.

18. Sanya May 5, 2015 at 8:34 am #

I don’t like it. It is so dated, it is a huge deja vu. We’ve seen her in these type of dresses so many times. Both Kim and JLo looked much better last night.

19. Charlotte May 5, 2015 at 8:32 am #

This il ridiculous from head to toe !
    And not even sexy neither flaterring, only tacky and cheap. I can’t believe this is Givenchy !

20. Valissa May 5, 2015 at 8:13 am #

Wow so many things went through my head when I saw this!

1. You are Beyoncé! You can wear jeans and a T-shirt and still steal the show…why the desperation?

2. How the hell did this atrocity get made in the house of Givenchy?! It is so cheap and tacky and an insult to the brand!

3. Kim, J.Lo and Beyoncé all need to be stopped. It’s beyond embarrassing at this stage.

• Jhh36 May 5, 2015 at 8:18 am #

• AB May 5, 2015 at 9:41 am #

• Victoria May 5, 2015 at 12:29 pm #

• Anais May 5, 2015 at 2:29 pm #

• Amanda May 5, 2015 at 10:23 pm #

• Mel May 5, 2015 at 11:20 pm #

• Zineb May 6, 2015 at 12:08 pm #

+ 7

21. Cait May 5, 2015 at 8:01 am #

I’m another Bey lover who just cannot abide. This is terrible! How does this remotely fit the theme? It’s just…awful. It looks like she rolled around in glitter after dipping herself in crazy glue.

22. Noah May 5, 2015 at 8:01 am #

What’s wrong with everyone? Do they get inspiration from Kim Kardashian?
    Jeez…sick of this style

23. Annel May 5, 2015 at 7:59 am #

No! Just no. That is so ugly! She’s so beautiful, but why does she always look like a disaster on the red carpet???

24. jhh36 May 5, 2015 at 7:52 am #

I love Queen but this just awful. Too much sheer. Too much bedazzling. Not event appropriate in any way. She needs a major makeover. Who is her stylist? Although I have that question for a lot of the stars tonight.

25. CJ May 5, 2015 at 7:46 am #

My jaw dropped when I first saw this, but not in a good way. I think she wanted the effect to be the same as Rihanna’s ‘naked’ dress but she just TRIES TOO HARD. You can feel it oozing from her ponytail down to her shoes. She could’ve done so much better. At least JLo’s dress was somewhat related to the theme.

26. molly May 5, 2015 at 7:42 am #

Oh. Hell. No.

27. Milla B. May 5, 2015 at 7:41 am #

I can’t believe she managed looks worse than Kim K. You let us down this night Bey.

28. CJ May 5, 2015 at 7:39 am #

This is truly terrible, over exposed in every imaginable way. I blame her husband 1st, then the designer.

29. Caterina May 5, 2015 at 7:31 am #

Wannabe Rihanna?!?!?!

30. Zara May 5, 2015 at 7:31 am #

What the hell was she thinking. This is a new low for Beyonce. Congrats girl.

31. isik5 May 5, 2015 at 7:24 am #

This is beyond tacky. I can’t see any china in that dress :/

32. B May 5, 2015 at 7:19 am #

why you so desperate girl?

• bisbee May 5, 2015 at 2:16 pm #

Exactly! At this stage in her life and career, I don’t understand the desperate need for this type of attention…if she wanted to, she could look so elegant…and that is how she should look for an event like this.

33. Eva May 5, 2015 at 7:11 am #

This is horrible in so many levels. Why the number one female singer of our time is so desperate for attention?! What’s worse than this is what the Met Gala has become. It used to be an event which princess Dianna attended and look at it now! It seriously needs some A-listers movie Stars to bring some class and elegance. Kate Blanchette, Charlize Therone, Angelina Jolie please?! but yet again they are so busy doing good things for this world. Anna Wintour need to shake it up. This event was Horrible regarding fashion.

• B May 5, 2015 at 7:25 am #

Agree! I wish Anna would have a stricter dress code, she’s all about the attention the celebs bring that she lost sight of the event. Remember 4ish years ago when Kim wasn’t allowed to attend because of who she was? Now there’s at least 3 women dressed worse than her!

34. Alex May 5, 2015 at 7:06 am #

Awful

35. MG May 5, 2015 at 6:59 am #

Just no. She never looked good in Givenchy. Also what’s with that aweful hair? the color looks so bad on her.

36. trio May 5, 2015 at 6:58 am #

Let us not forget, Mrs. Carter is nothing if not a showgirl! Even though this is a look (sheer illusion) I’ve seen her wear similarly before, I thought she looked striking. The detail is beautiful and so is she. Her body is the most toned its ever been, and I much preferred this to the feathered Givenchy a few years ago. There are dozens of pictures taken of Beyonce in this dress posing on the Met staircase more flattering than these two, though.

37. Ariya May 5, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Oh dear Bey, you desperately need an intervention. And you should be embarassed of yourself when Kim K, Chrissy Teigen and Miley Cyrus look less tacky than you do.

38. Lola May 5, 2015 at 6:56 am #

This (and Kim K) is a blatant insult to this event. In addition to that this outfit In particular is an embarassment. Did she not read the invititation? Or has she not heard of China…

39. sea May 5, 2015 at 6:54 am #

this is beyond ugly…

40. Phoenix May 5, 2015 at 6:54 am #

Im just shaking my head. This is beyond silly and ugly.
    It looks cheap (looks like a kid bedazzled the dress), tacky, cheesy and I wont even begin on the lack of theme.
    It looks like it wanted to be Rihannas ‘naked’ dress but failed miserably.
    And here I was thinking fashion choices couldnt possibly get worse than it has been tonight…..

41. naama May 5, 2015 at 6:53 am #

trashy.
    it’s unfortunate but that’s what she’s become.

42. Lg May 5, 2015 at 6:53 am #

Out of 3 sheer dresses, this one is the worst! Surprised to see Kim K. doing better than Beyonce in terms of class, grace and overall impact of the look! This one just looks so desperate for attention!

43. aa May 5, 2015 at 6:50 am #

This should be in the WDOTY list for its tackiness.

• Christine May 5, 2015 at 10:39 am #

Exactly. Tacky and so Deja Vu.

• Christine May 5, 2015 at 10:40 am #

Exactly. Tacky and so Deja Vu.

No shame

• chaufforest May 5, 2015 at 11:30 am #

True that…maybe the worst dressed. This dress looks so cheap and then the make up and the hair? everything was just very wrong on many levels…she should take tips from Solange

• elena May 5, 2015 at 1:17 pm #

• Lily May 5, 2015 at 11:03 pm #

Agree. Hot Mess.

44. Jeremy May 5, 2015 at 6:47 am #

“I Dream of Genie: Vegas Showgirl Revival”

45. B May 5, 2015 at 6:46 am #

So tacky & cheap.
    I feel like the Met Gala has lost the special thing it had, everyone just shows up wearing whatever, the more revealing the better.
    We all know these women have great bodies, and they should be proud but it doesn’t have to be on display for every single event.

• Noemi May 5, 2015 at 9:42 am #

I agree the Met Gala lost its glamour, but I think this happens because they keep on inviting the same celebrities who are there to display themselves instead of being interested in art and fashion.

• Fiona - Perth May 5, 2015 at 3:42 pm #

I agree – I always look forward to this event but have found them disappointing in recent years. Naked (literally) self-promotion has become the norm and it is a shame as the art of fashion is lost.

• meme May 5, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

I agree. Same shallow people who are only interested in how many pictures get taken of them and who can outdo the other in terms of trashiness.

• Jessica May 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm #

My thoughts exactly. I look forward to the Met Gala all year and then this shows up? Honestly! Why even wear a dress? I thought Beyonce was better than this!

46. Yeliz May 5, 2015 at 6:46 am #

Oh god, this is so bad. Everything about this look is awful.

47. shontay May 5, 2015 at 6:43 am #

Tacky and terrible. I’m a Beyonce fan and I cannot defend this. So much of what she wears, especially to big events is just tacky. From head to toe this a big no for me. She’s too beautiful for this.

• Zineb May 5, 2015 at 11:54 am #

Agree, I’m also a fan but this comes off as attention seeker. Off theme and inappropriate. This is not fashion. She does look great though but for a photo shoot or a stage performance. Not on a red carpet at the Met Gala with a Chinese theme.

48. Bec May 5, 2015 at 6:42 am #

I’m sorry, but this is absolutely WOEFUL!

Tacky, out-of-date, off-theme and just so wrong for this event – and what is that ponytail?

This is the Met Gala, not the VMA’s 10 years ago. Put it away.

• gabis May 5, 2015 at 12:43 pm #

+100000000000

• Kimma May 5, 2015 at 1:22 pm #

Thank you for summing up exactly how I feel. What IS that ponytail? Ghastly.

49. LoreleiLee May 5, 2015 at 6:42 am #

I think she looks OUTSTANDING!
    Sheer can be modest (altho lol it’s not here) or it can be outrageous and I approve of it either way. It’s not really a ‘trend’ it’s a red carpet staple, I mean Cher was wearing a look like this back in the 70s and even Old Hollywood ladies used to rock risque sheer gowns. I think the real question is whether or not the wearer is pulling it off and here she definitely is.
    The bubblegum/street aesthetic also works too for me. I think it’s playful and refreshing from her since she usually goes for a more mature kind of sexy (on the red carpet anyway) as opposed to being playful.
    Sorry for the small essay lol but I just love this!

• MEME May 5, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

50. Ade May 5, 2015 at 6:41 am #

She looks like an idiot, she has no fashion sense whatsoever, she has worn this style of dress several times one of which was at the met gala. To add insult to injury, kim kardashian also showed up in the same style of dress. This is a fashion event, not one of those moments where she needs to perform her one millionth rendition of single ladies, if you are going to arrive fashionably late, arrive fashionably late. And she had the audacity to put that thirsty weave in a ponytail. Girl, bye

• Bec May 5, 2015 at 6:55 am #

“And she had the audacity to put that thirsty weave in a ponytail. Girl, bye”

I died. haha

• Sanya May 5, 2015 at 8:32 am #

Basically, I agree with everything you said, but I would never call a person “idiot” just because I don’t like their clothes. It’s great to be passionate about fashion, but DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM and we should not offend each other because of the clothes.

• Noemi May 5, 2015 at 9:40 am #

I wouldn’t call her “idiot” but I agree with you about everything. My idea is that she thinks she lives on a stage and dresses according to this.
      I find this tacky from head to toe and I will never understand why so many people love her.

• Loretta October 21, 2015 at 9:19 pm #

+1 THIS!

• meme May 5, 2015 at 3:19 pm #

^THIS

• nat May 5, 2015 at 3:56 pm #

I agree with you but I don`t think she is an idiot. I am tired of those see-through dress and it had nothing about the theme at all. It was just to grab attention.

• dee May 5, 2015 at 4:36 pm #

She looks horrendous!

• Erin May 7, 2015 at 12:03 am #

AGREED! She’s a total try hard.

• LC May 7, 2015 at 8:15 pm #

+! Totally agree! SO TRASHY B!

• Lils May 8, 2015 at 9:17 pm #

I agree. This dress is so ugly, she looks naked and it is tacky. She and her mom try to make us believe that she is humble, but I highly doubt it. Humble people don’t want to hog all attention to themselves.