Menu

April 22, 2020 Best Of

Zendaya’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

Zendaya in Moschino – ‘The Greatest Showman’ Sydney Premiere

This has taken me two days, because narrowing down my top ten looks from Zendaya Coleman is not easy feat.

I almost gave up entirely, because I haven’t worked this hard my university exams, but it would be a crime not to pay homage to one of the most inspirational women to grace the red carpet, who – at the tender age of 23 – already has more hits on the red carpet than some people twice her age.

She is a fashion force to be reckoned with.

I remember back in 2017, some people claimed her style to be overcooked.

Do you still share that same sentiment?

1. Zendaya in Moschino – ‘The Greatest Showman’ Sydney Premiere

Once again I couldn’t figure out an order, so the only place to start was with her most iconic look in my eyes, her butterfly dress from Moschino.

I’ve said many times that I feel that this was her coming of age look.

A butterfly has always been a major symbol of transition.  Some will say that her official transition came at the 2019 Met Gala, but others will point to this moment.

Zendaya in Atelier Versace - 2018 Met Gala

2. Zendaya in Atelier Versace – 2018 Met Gala

Everyone knows Zendaya is a queen, and it looks like she took that descriptor literally by embracing the evening’s theme, ‘Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,’ donning the armor of one of Catholicism’s most famed icons: Saint Joan of Arc.

Her custom metallic Atelier Versace gown features an armored neck-and-shoulder piece, sparkling chainmail, a spiked belt, and a modest train.

Zendaya also adopted a cropped wig in the style of The Maid of Orléans’ famous bob.

Zendaya Coleman In Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda Couture – 2017 Met Gala

3. Zendaya Coleman In Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda Couture – 2017 Met Gala

Third look in and I’m still on the Met Gala path.  That’s because this by this point Zendaya was somewhat of a veteran at this event.  Not in terms of age, but in terms of living up to the theme and the moment.

Some might argue that on this occasion her Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda ball gown covered in a tropical parrot print with vivid shades of tangerine, lemon yellow, and blue strayed from the avant-garde Comme des Garçons theme, it enlivened the red carpet with a fanciful glamour, yet the afro hair seemed to pay homage to Rei Kawakubo at the very least.

Zendaya Coleman In Vera Wang – 2019 Emmy Awards

4. Zendaya in Vera Wang – 2019 Emmy Awards

Right around the time when Disney were shopping for their latest princess ‘Ariel’ for the film adaptation of ‘The Little Mermaid,’ Zendaya seemed to be placing her hat in the ring for the part of the lead actress with her newly dyed tresses and bustier gown by Vera Wang.

The Emmys are a jammed packed red carpet filled with both TV and movie star actresses, so it is kinda hard to stand out.

Zendaya had no such issues.

Zendaya in Tom Ford – 2020 Critics’ Choice Awards

5. Zendaya in Tom Ford – 2020 Critics’ Choice Awards

There were mixed reviews about this Tom Ford look, mostly because some felt the skirt felt too basic for the bustier, yet this still remains an iconic look for me.

6. Zendaya in Mônot – 2019 GQ Men Of The Year Awards

I think this was one of Zendaya’s best looks of 2019.  Simple elegance at it very finest from Mônot.   I hope she continues to spotlight more up-and-coming designers in the future.

7. Zendaya in Carolina Herrera – The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Zendaya’s BEST look of 2019 was this tangy Carolina Herrera Resort 2020 dress.  It could’ve come off too contrived with the headband, and oversized pearl earrings, but it only added to the overall charm.

8. Zendaya In Armani Prive – ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ LA Premiere

Zendaya had more than on promo tour for Spider-Man, and several looks, but this black and red Armani Prive look was by far her best in my eyes.

9. Zendaya in Alexandre Vauthier  -‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ London Photocall

There are not many of us who can picture this Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2019 suit in its entirely working on anyone else without looking costumey.

That’s the magic and brilliance of Zendaya.

Zendaya in  Stella Jean – ‘The Greatest Showman’ New York Promo Tour

10. Zendaya in Stella Jean – Live with Kelly & Ryan

This Stella Jean look still gives me chills.

It’s oozing a cool, effortless, modern vibe, mixing prints that don’t belong, yet marry in a way that makes you want to reassess those “fashion rules.”

I realize that I didn’t get much passed 2015, and that Zendaya had many more great moments including her Elie Saab Haute Couture gown from The London Evening Standard Theatre Awards, the Front Row look at Armani Prive, her Vivienne Westwood gown from the 2015 Oscars, her Fausto Puglisi dress from the 2015 Met Gala, her Schiaparelli Haute Couture gown from the InStyle Awards, the Tiffany blue Dice Kayek Couture dress from the Tiffany & Co. Paper Flowers Event And Believe In Dreams Campaign Launch, her dual colour Viktor & Rolf tulle gown from ‘The Greatest Showman’ World Premiere and the Marc Jacobs feather dress from the Áme Jewelry Launch Event – to name a few – but I was determined to get keep this at a max of 10 looks.

Credit: Getty & Backgrid

, , ,

Morgan Stewart's Gauge81 Modena Satin Boat Neck Top

Morgan Stewart’s Gauge81 Modena Satin Boat Neck Top

Rochelle Humes Showcases Her At Home Maternity Style

Rochelle Humes Showcases Her At Home Maternity Style

25 Responses to Zendaya’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

1. Maria April 25, 2020 at 11:04 am #

For many years my most consistent celebrity was Diane Kruger. She was always on point. But the last few years Zendaya has taken over that spot in my heart. There is not one single appearance where she has let me down. All her looks are on point and she oozes confidence which is a major point of her fashion success.

But I think that her team deserves much of the credits here. Not only beacause their choices (outfit, accessories, hair and makeup) are always inspired and consistent, but also beacause she is always so well put together. I cannot recall one bad fabric choice, any instance when her skirt was creased or the outfit ill-fiting. Her appearances are always like an editorial photoshoots come to life, and that takes a lot of work to achieve.

2. phee April 25, 2020 at 7:18 am #

Its hard to believe the style and confidence of someone so young. Love her fashion sense and her ability to make almost anything work and work well.
    I will always adore that butterfly dress! And that pink Tom Ford breastplate is divine…

3. Cat April 25, 2020 at 2:35 am #

Zendaya truly is a phenomenon. Great walk down memory lane. The Tom Ford put me in mind of Diane Kruger in Prabal Gurung circa 2013, which was perhaps my first hit-by-lightning moment on your blog, and which I still love.

4. Los_NGLS April 24, 2020 at 5:09 pm #

This post brought so much joy to my heart <3! She and her stylist Law Roach are just such a brilliant team!

I most definitely agree with the post above (and the times Katharine has mentioned it as well) that her confidence is major part for all her sartorial success, but I would also add that for me part of her magic is her "acting" through the looks. Its almost as if she takes on a character with each look, and lives her night (or at least the moments we get to see) as that character.

I think the Atelier Versace Joan of Arc is my favorite. A very unique choice for that Met Gala theme and an amazing romantic & elegant interpretation of a gritty religious "warrior".

• Los_NGLS April 26, 2020 at 5:13 am #

*Catherine

5. Catarina_M April 23, 2020 at 7:10 pm #

This girl could be dressed in a potatoe sack and still look amazing. Her attitude and poise conquers all.
    I love the Mônot, the Stella Jean…

6. Sharon M April 23, 2020 at 12:14 pm #

She is a force to be reckoned with for sure! My least favorites are the two Spider-Man looks. I also wish she would go for some varied shoes…those pumps are tired…but the rest of her looks are so good I’ll overlook the shoes…for a while.

7. TeaAtTwo April 23, 2020 at 9:36 am #

The Moschino, Carolina Herrera, Tom Ford and the Stella Jean are my favourites here. What happened to Stella Jean? It’s a designer that that I wish was worn more often.

8. Charlotte April 23, 2020 at 7:21 am #

Her Tom Ford is the best IMO, it will be in my BDOTY list for sure.

9. Amanda F April 23, 2020 at 3:18 am #

I love that she is fearless with her fashion choices. So amazing for someone so young. Very rarely does she disappoint. I love your picks but I would swap out the the red/black Armani Prive for the pink Ralph & Russo Couture gown from the Spiderman Homecoming LA Premiere.

10. JR April 23, 2020 at 1:59 am #

The Carolina Herrera and the Stella Jean both still take my breath away.

11. Tiger Nueng April 23, 2020 at 12:27 am #

The butterfly look was most memorable look for me

12. CN April 22, 2020 at 11:23 pm #

She has certainly skyrocketed to the very top of red-carpet standouts in the last couple of years. This lineup looks great. I love the feathery MJ look so much, and I may have tried to find room it if this were my list. Same for that Dice Kayek confection. I personally feel like they show off the spectrum of her style beautifully. I think there’s a lot here that highlight her sexy-sleek side, but the more playful and whimsical stuff, I would loved to show off, too. 🙂

13. Chris April 22, 2020 at 8:45 pm #

Thank you for this post! She’s soo good at selling everything she wears. Definitely one of the most intriguing persons to see on a red carpet.
    100% agree with 1&2(!!), 5-8 & 10. I maybe would have included the Giambattista Valli look she wore to the 2018 Oscars, the Michael Kors look from the 2016 Met Gala and the Dice Kayek in my Top 10 (also a honorable mention to the Rosie Assoulin look she wore to the Diamond Ball a couple years ago).

• Nat39 April 22, 2020 at 9:33 pm #

Yes, Dice Kayek! It was a good one.

14. Martijn April 22, 2020 at 8:32 pm #

I can imagine the struggle trying to make this list! The Moschino dress and the Atelier Versace are my absolute favourites, but this young lady can make anything work. The poise, confidence and class she exudes are so unusual. Hopefully she will bring us many years of stunning looks.

15. TeaAtTwo April 22, 2020 at 7:54 pm #

For my top 10 I would include her David Koma ruffled off the shoulder jumpsuit or the red Alexis Mabille Couture bow gown she wore for Lancome unveiling and women in Hollywood party respectively. I think include her Rosie Assoulin two piece look, it highlighted her fashion fearlessness and how her confidence and elegance makes such ease of tricky outfits and make them look amazing.

16. Nat39 April 22, 2020 at 7:34 pm #

Her #1 butterfly Moschino, hands down, the drama, the intensity, the styling – top level. Plus the fact that it was Moschino (!) it was hard to believe, but it was a WIN.

Off topic, do you mind me asking what kind of university subject/exams, Catherine 🙂 ?

• Catherine Kallon April 22, 2020 at 7:39 pm #

I don’t mind you asking at all.

I majored in Marketing with Human Resource Management as a minor.

Plus I have a PR diploma.

• Nat39 April 22, 2020 at 9:16 pm #

Sounds great! 🙂

• Nat39 April 22, 2020 at 9:20 pm #

..as for Zendaya’s overall style, I never thought of it to be overcooked. But I did think that she’s “all over the place” style-wise, she still is, she doesn’t seem to have her definitive style – she’s just trying different things.

• phee April 25, 2020 at 7:20 am #

awesome Catherine! I always wondered about what you took in uni.

17. P&P April 22, 2020 at 7:29 pm #

Love all the choices. What makes Zendaya such a red carpet icon is her poise. Sometimes I’m not even that much of a fan of the outfit, but she carries herself with confidence, grace and elegance, which elevates every single look.

• Catherine Kallon April 22, 2020 at 7:39 pm #

Yes. Her confidence is the most attractive feature

• Kat April 24, 2020 at 12:55 pm #

+1. So much poise. The Carolina and Dolce are my faves, but they’re all stunning.

Loved this post. Thanks Catherine x