Menu

November 26, 2019

Menswear Weekend Roundup

Here is a look at the gents, mostly from the 2019 American Music Awards, who took to the red carpet this weekend.

Patrick Schwarzenegger:  You may recognize this colourful Sies Marjan suit, as Billy Porter recently wore the same look earlier this month.  I think Patrick opted for the wrong footwear here.  It feels too chunky for this slick, refined suit. The bunching of thr trousers are a testament to that.

Lil Nas X:  There was no missing the entertainer in this custom green suit by CFDA Fashion Fund winner Christopher John Rogers. I love the ’80s cut of the suit, for some reason the first person who came to mind when I saw this suit was Michael Jackson.  This suit also wouldn’t look out of place at the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards.

Chadwick Boseman: The ’21 Bridges’ star and Atelier Versace have had a beautiful relationship together, and it grew stronger at this event as the actor don a beautifully detail black leather jacket embroidered with Swarovski details and gold studs. There was more shimmer to be had via his gold chainmail t-shirt and lame denim jeans.  This is such a cool look. It couldn’t be more perfect for this event.

Jharrel Jerome:  The Emmy Award winner opted for a monochrome off-white head-to-toe Louis Vuitton look which had a distinct sporty, urban vibe, which I would get dirty about 30 seconds after putting this on.

Ben Platt:  As you know I have been crushing on Ben’s style, especially after watching his brilliant performance on ‘The Politician’  The actor and black suits are rarely a thing.  Ben isn’t afraid to mix colour, texture and print.  All of which are present in this Coach 1941 Spring 2020 green leather moto-jacket and red plaid trouser combo.

Shawn Mendes: At first I thought the singer had gone shirtless in this Paul Smith, suit, but the contrasting teal colour is actually just an open shirt. Did he need to button up?

Diplo:  I know a lot you dislike logos, so I don’t think Diplo’s MCM suit will get much love.

Douglas Booth:  The actor joined a host of ladies at the 2019 Evening Standard Theatre Awards looking very dapper wearing a classic black Prada tux. Douglas is known for his very suave look.  Would you like to see him mix things up on the red carpet from time to time, or should he stick with what he knows works best?

Dan Levy:  It’s very rare I say this about a guy on the red carpet, but I’m loving this Valentino Fall 2019 look from the ankles up. Those sneakers are a big no.

Credit: Getty

, , ,

Ciara's Multiple Wardrobe Changes For The 2019 American Music Awards

Ciara’s Multiple Wardrobe Changes For The 2019 American Music Awards

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2019 Evening Standard Theatre Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2019 Evening Standard Theatre Awards?

15 Responses to Menswear Weekend Roundup

1. KseniaBradner November 28, 2019 at 3:25 am #

Diplo, Chainsmokers, Steve Aoki, Calvin Harris, Ansel Elgort…all douchebags. Diplo is my favorite of the DJ Douches just because he is occasionally charming on Instagram. But this look is just pure comic douche.

I care about anything Dan Levy says, wears and does, so I am eating up this look. He has very good taste even if I’m not crazy about his shoes. I need to know Dan’s opinion on Robert Pattinson’s style.

Douglas Booth always puts his best foot on the red carpet but people barely notice. I love Jharrel’s relaxed but chic, luxe look.

2. Guest November 26, 2019 at 3:09 pm #

Patrick makes me think of McDonalds. Douglas wins for me.

3. _Hannah_ November 26, 2019 at 12:57 pm #

Lil Nas X’s look is so fun. I hate it but I love it in the same time.
    Chadwick, Dan (coat is amazing, but I don’t want to see those shoes again), Ben and Jharrel – their looks are also interesting and cool.

4. Guest November 26, 2019 at 10:57 am #

Ben’s my best dressed here.
    Jharrel looks sporty chic.
    Lil nas looks garish but that’s pretty much part of course for music awards. Have a similar view on Diplo’s costume.
    Why are they black shoes to wear with that Marjan look??, they don’t go.
    I don’t mind Dan’s sneakers but they look odd in combination with the very smart coat. Douglas’ jacket looks like it could fit better.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards November 26, 2019 at 2:52 pm #

“Why are they black shoes to wear with that Marjan look??, they don’t go.” They really don’t.

• Guest November 26, 2019 at 3:00 pm #

picking* – oops, I was so aghast that I forgot to proofread before hitting the Post button ?

5. Guest November 26, 2019 at 10:17 am #

I like Ben and Shawn here. Chadwick looks good, too.

6. Catarina_M November 26, 2019 at 9:42 am #

Shawn is a pinky ring away from looking a mobster. Please button up and do something with that hair.
    I wish I could keep my white clothes as immaculate as Jharrel does here.
    Diplo looks so ridiculous.

7. Guest November 26, 2019 at 8:58 am #

Lil Nas X, what fun! Love the boldness, the colors, even though the green is positively eye-searing.

Chadwick x Versace, a beautiful collab. Love the shimmer, he looks fab.

As for the rest, at least I am not bored. Shawn’s beauty keeps that louche down-to-there look from being completely and unnattractively lounge lizard to me. Dated and aging, button up. Platt, green leather jacket and red checked pants should be a “no” but somehow I don’t hate, love the fit. Levy’s sneaks, on the other hand, are a firm no, agreed, as are the high water pants.

8. JasLinds November 26, 2019 at 5:11 am #

I wouldn’t save anyone from this roundup.

9. Guest November 26, 2019 at 5:10 am #

Lil Nas X pops instantly. Normally I wouldn’t even like the look, but it’s bold and he’s working it, and it works for the event. And Ben Platt is looking sharp – a nice clean look.

10. Phee phee November 26, 2019 at 4:56 am #

Lil Nas X. I adore his look. Yes, its 80s but he is making it look awesome and fun….only for this event though! I wouldn’t want to see it anywhere else.

Chadwick looks cool. Shawns colors are amazing together but he needed to button the shirt up.
    Douglas looks perfect but for another event entirely.
    I must be in a strange mood bc im really really loving Diplos look…its very Don Johnson.

• Guest November 26, 2019 at 3:10 pm #

Douglas wasn’t at the AMAs.

• Phee phee November 26, 2019 at 3:14 pm #

O crap! You are so right!!
      I thought the whole list was from same event….
      Well in that case, he looks perfect to me….at the RIGHT event!
      Thanks

11. Guest November 26, 2019 at 4:08 am #

I love Lil Nas X. If you’re going to go rockstar do it full on. Also the green is so obnoxious in a good way ?