Menu

November 7, 2019

2020 Met Gala Theme & Celebrity Co-Chairs

The 2020 Met Gala will be held on May 4, and will be the 150th anniversary of it was confirmed that the co-chairs for this year would include its preeminent host Anna Wintour, Hamilton’s Lin-Manuel Miranda, Louis Vuitton’s Artistic Director Nicolas Ghesquiere, Vuitton brand ambassador Emma Stone as well as Meryl Streep – who will be attending the gala for the very first time.

The official title of theme is: “About Time: Fashion and Duration.”

The New York Times is describing the theme as “inspired in part by the novels of Virginia Woolf and the theories of the early-20th-century French philosopher Henri Bergson, whose admittedly somewhat obscure but also important musings on time posited it as a constantly mutating stream rather than a series of discrete moments.”

The show is set to open on May 7.

Are you excited about theme, and or the co-chairs?

Helen Mirren Is Radiant In Yellow For 'The Good Liar' New York Premiere

Helen Mirren Is Radiant In Yellow For ‘The Good Liar’ New York Premiere

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge Was A Royal In Royal Blue For The Launch Of The National Emergencies Trust

19 Responses to 2020 Met Gala Theme & Celebrity Co-Chairs

1. MissHebble November 11, 2019 at 3:20 pm #

YASSSSS LMM!!

2. Kat November 8, 2019 at 9:42 am #

I feel like these Ghesquiere/Balenciaga looks could work w the theme:

• Kat November 8, 2019 at 9:43 am #

3. Kat November 8, 2019 at 9:24 am #

With a ‘time/duration’ theme, I hope people raid the couture archives. I love vintage fashion
    I must admit I’m not a fan of LV, Meryl’s style, or Emma’s style (since she signed her LV contract).
    Emma was one of my fave’s (pre-LV) with her magnificent run in 2014/15: the pink & red Thakoon, the yellow Versace, the Dior tuxedo gown, the citrus Elie Saab …

4. Draylo November 8, 2019 at 1:49 am #

It’s vintage’s time to shine babyyyyyy

5. Guest November 8, 2019 at 1:25 am #

Oh, who thought up that theme, some jejune English Lit major? *eye roll* And heaven forbid, a red carpet full of fugly LV looks. Ugh.

• Guest November 8, 2019 at 1:32 am #

I confess, I overlooked the Bergson reference, hmmm, maybe not so eye-roll inducing as I first thought. Will be interesting to see how that theme translates…..

6. Jess Mara November 8, 2019 at 12:59 am #

Not sure about LV being the host as we are going to get some terrible gowns now but at least Emma seems to to get the good stuff from them most of the time.

7. Guest November 7, 2019 at 7:27 pm #

I am excited only because Lin-Manuel Miranda is co-host and I love him and his work but I don’t see how that will translate to the red carpet. I know that realistically I should have zero expectation for greatness from the LV looks but I must live in hope not despair. I hope the attendees and designers really delve into Henri Bergson. There is much in his work that could be amazing inspiration. It could be much more interesting in a thoughtful way than the Camp theme.

8. Phee phee November 7, 2019 at 6:35 pm #

o god. not LV. whomp whomp whomp

my excitement level dropped I must say. Hope the night isn’t inundated with ugly LV looks.
    I will have to do some research on this theme and Bergson. Not as exciting sounding as the Camp theme.
    Wonder how people are going to work this theme? curious

9. Guest November 7, 2019 at 5:45 pm #

How much did LVMH pay for Nicholas and Emma to be co-hosts? My excitement levels aren’t high tbh. I hope neither Saint Laurent, Dolce and Gabbana, new Celine or Dior are next

10. Catarina_M November 7, 2019 at 5:16 pm #

I pray that we will not be presented with some awful Ghesquiere’s LV gowns…

11. Los_NGLS November 7, 2019 at 5:00 pm #

OMG!!!!

Not crazy about Emma, but THE CUSTOM gowns that Nicolas is going to design!!!! (and I do secretly hope they look more old Balenciaga than Vuitton)

And Meryl Streep!!! I would DIE if she came as Miranda Priestly, DDDIIIEEE!

Also Lin Manuel is one of the nicest and most talented human beings on the planet, and an omega level tweeter, and we do not deserve him… so I might be crying for more than couture that night.

Dear future husband (whom I have yet to meet),
    If ever there was a Met Gala that I would have been perfect at it would’ve been Camp, followed by Savage Beauty, followed by Anglomania… BUT this is a close 4th, and please buy us tickets!

• Guest November 7, 2019 at 5:19 pm #

And Meryl Streep!!! I would DIE if she came as Miranda Priestly, DDDIIIEEE!

That would have been perfect for the camp theme!

• Los_NGLS November 7, 2019 at 6:17 pm #

very true!

• Jess Mara November 8, 2019 at 1:01 am #

Just imagine if she did the coat scene when unveiling her look!! Jaws on the floor all around

• Los_NGLS November 8, 2019 at 4:38 pm #

OMG, there is so much possibility for this most momentous occasion! LOL

12. Guest November 7, 2019 at 4:55 pm #

I have to say this is going to be interesting!!! I know it’s not the popular opinion, but I can’t wait to see the LV creations and if/how they go with the time theme. YAY!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards November 7, 2019 at 5:23 pm #

I’m very excited too. I know LV isn’t loved by the majority, but I’m excited to see what custom pieces the brand will come up with for this event when the whole fashion world will be watching