Menu

October 28, 2019 Runway To Red Carpet

2019 Governors Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Here is a look at the other ladies who graced the red carpet for the 2019 Governors Awards hosted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood on Sunday (October 27), on what turned out to be a festival of fashion.

Constance Wu:  The ‘Hustler’ star joined her co-stars Jennifer Lopez and Keke Palmer at this event wearing a Miu Miu pink sablè satin gown with crystal embellishment.  I love the colour and the fabric, but I’m on the fence with regards to the peplum detail. Anita Ko jewelry and a Jimmy Choo ‘Celeste’ clutch completed her look.

Renée Elise Goldsberry:  The ‘Altered Carbon’ always makes bold statements on the red carpet.  And she made one hell of a dramatic entrance in this Carolina Herrera Resort 2020 floral gown styled with Chopard jewels.  This was easily one of the best on the night.

Carolina Herrera Resort 2020

Olivia Wilde: The actress wore a festive red sequin dress from the Fall 2019 Ralph Lauren Collection which she styled with Amwaj diamond waterfall earrings and a Tyler Ellis clutch.

America Ferrera: Also dazzling on the red carpet was America Ferrera, who wore a Sachin and Babi sequin dress defined by its contrast bold shoulders and drape from the hip, which she styled with Fernando Jorge jewelry and a Jimmy Choo ‘Ciggy’ clutch.

Florence Pugh: Keeping things fun and youthful, Florence donned a Valentino Spring 2019 Haute Couture mini which may translate as too many ruffles for some.

Ralph Lauren Collection Fall 2019
Sachin and Babi Resort 2020
Valentino Spring 2019 Haute Couture

Kaitlyn Dever: The ruffles were less cutting edge, and more delicate on Kaitlyn’s Alberta Ferretti Resort 2020 peach dress, which was perfectly suited to her style.

Laura Dern:  This black Brandon Maxwell Spring 2020 black crepe and velvet dress was oozing with sophistication. Nikos Koulis jewels completed her look.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw:  I like the colour and embellishments of this Erdem Resort 2020 dress, but I was hoping for something a lot more grand from Gugu. Jimmy Choo ‘Minny’ sandals completed her look.

Alberta Ferretti Resort 2020
Brandon Maxwell Spring 2020
Erdem Resort 2020

Thomasin Mckenzie:  The young ‘JoJo Rabbit’ star has had a busy few weeks on the red carpet, ending at the 2019 Governors Awards.  This Rodarte Spring 2020 blush jacquard strapless gown with metallic gold details worked perfectly for her skin tone.

Kate Mara: The actress showed support for her sister by wearing a black lace dress from her Hiraeth Fall 2019 collection.  I think I would’ve like this better has the length of the lace been the same as the skirt underneath.

Idina Menzel: The actress joined a trio of ladies who opted for shimmering sequins.  This Paule Ka gown got an extra boost thanks to the oversize bow detail on the shoulder. A Jimmy Choo ‘Venus’ clutch and Sutra jewelry accessorized her look.

Rodarte Spring 2020
Hiraeth Fall 2019

Geena Davis: The actress was honored with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award wearing an award-worthy Romona Keveža gown.

Awkwafina: The actress rounds out this coverage wearing a  J. Mendel gown. Jennifer Meyer jewels completed her look.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Renée Zellweger In Erdem - 2019 Governors Awards

Renée Zellweger In Erdem – 2019 Governors Awards

Selena Gomez' Teal Velvet Sies Marjan Suit For The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show

Selena Gomez’ Teal Velvet Sies Marjan Suit For The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show

35 Responses to 2019 Governors Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. Sharon M October 29, 2019 at 11:58 am #

Renee is a showstopper! That purple ruffled affair on Florence is awful. Laura looks good but I hate the hair…she has worn it that way before. Kate Mara is wearing a really ugly dress…just no all around! Geena looks wonderful!

• Sharon M October 29, 2019 at 12:04 pm #

And thank goodness Gugu left those gloves off!

2. Guest October 29, 2019 at 11:53 am #

I’m sorry I got caught on how amazing America Ferrera looks. Beautiful styling.

3. MissHebble October 29, 2019 at 9:49 am #

Renee has my heart here.

4. Phee phee October 29, 2019 at 5:00 am #

Renee is gorgeous in the yellow. Im not a huge fan of the fit. the fit is wayyyy better on the model.

5. Isabela October 29, 2019 at 1:32 am #

Olivia Wilde looks so amazing!

6. Jess Mara October 29, 2019 at 12:35 am #

Renee is best dressed out of this bunch – the colour on her gorgeous skin is just divine!!
    Olivia comes in second and the rest are not really memorable.

7. Guest October 28, 2019 at 10:04 pm #

I love the color of Constance’s dress, but wish it had no peplum. Also, Kaitlyn’s dress is so blah on her, much better on the runway. Love all the fashion that turned up at this event!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:32 pm #

yes, a simpler design would’ve been better. that fabric sells itself.

8. alvarospain October 28, 2019 at 9:30 pm #

Olivia

9. KseniaBradner October 28, 2019 at 7:11 pm #

Thomasin is divine in that Rodarte! I was wondering who was going to wear that and she did the gown justice.

Gugu’s style is so hit and miss, geez.

I love that Florence and her stylist Rebecca Corbin Murray took a risk- I never thought we’d see this purple Valentino Couture off the runway. Florence pulls it off and if you follow her on Instagram, you would know she definitely has the personality to pull off difficult fashion. Love Florence.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:33 pm #

“Gugu’s style is so hit and miss, geez” Agreed. Not sure why

10. WhiteLady October 28, 2019 at 6:55 pm #

Renée wins this one by a landslide for me. What I wouldn’t give to have that dress in my closet! (Thinking of it’s somehow similar to my wedding dress)
    Olivia gets an honourable mention.
    It’s actually quite a good red carpet! except one “meh” (Constance) and two disasters (Kate and Florence), they all look good!

11. Guest October 28, 2019 at 6:49 pm #

Plus, that Kate Mara dress is a disgraeth.

12. Guest October 28, 2019 at 6:47 pm #

Laura Dern is giving me old school ‘Nicole Kidman back in the day’ vibes. Which I like. But she should call it what it is 😀

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:33 pm #

Nice….I like this comment and I see what you are saying.

13. Guest October 28, 2019 at 5:41 pm #

Hey, just wanted to point out that Geena Davis was there to receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award 🙂

Great work!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks a lot.

I will update the post

14. Guest October 28, 2019 at 5:22 pm #

Renée is that gorgeous Herrera dress has to be a BDOTW contender. She looks stunning.

15. Guest October 28, 2019 at 5:14 pm #

Renée, Olivia, Gugu.

In that order.

16. Los_NGLS October 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm #

Renee Elise Goldsberry is an easy win for me of this crowd, wearing another unmistakably Carolina Herrera dress.

Olivia Wilde is a close 2nd (though I feel like I’ve seen her in version of this dress before).

Thomasin and Geena, who both look so lovely, tie for third!

I’m sad about that Valentino, I loved that dress on the runway. It deserved someone who could really serve it in all its glory.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:31 pm #

It’s still one of my favourite collections

• Los_NGLS October 29, 2019 at 2:29 pm #

That Valentino collection was an absolute DREAM! Of the 50 some odd looks, there was MAYBE 2 or 3 I wasn’t absolutely mad about. And I know Yves Saint Laurent had a pretty diverse cast of models back in the days of the ‘supers’ (& before) but that has to be the most Black models to ever walk a single couture show! I may or may not have cried (more than usual, I’ve been known to cry during couture shows, lol).

17. Guest October 28, 2019 at 5:07 pm #

Constance’s dress is way too long and her smug sneer is really off-putting.

18. Paola102 October 28, 2019 at 4:58 pm #

Colourful red carpet. Nice to see.
    Constance’s dress is too long.
    I looove Renée’s dress. The colour, the fabric, the finish. Really well done.
    I thought Gugu’s dress was a Vampire’s wife at first sight. We’ve seen it enought on the rc. No need for other designers to get on the trend as well!
    I like the gloves on the model for Thomasin’s dress. Gives it a more vintagey feel. Without it, smtg is missing.
    I love Geena’s dress. The bra ruins it for me however. Even though it’s nude, it has a design that is very visible.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:34 pm #

Yes, very nice to see. Glad the gloom is over.

19. Guest October 28, 2019 at 4:51 pm #

Renee, Renee, Renee. Handle yo bid’ness, girl!
    I see you, too, America!!!

20. Guest October 28, 2019 at 4:13 pm #

Did no-one in the Miu Miu team think that Constance might be several inches shorter than the mannequin or fit model when they were making the dress? It’s such a messy ending to the dress.
    Renee looks Amazing, Herrera deserves a designer of the year award come December.
    Florence and Kaitlyn are other looks that I’m admiring here.
    Gugu gets looks good but wanted more award.
    Olivia and Laura are in the nice category.
    Awkwafina needs a new stylist but I guess her style could be totally different to her public persona.

• Jess Mara October 29, 2019 at 12:37 am #

I agree about Constance – it is such a shame that it is soooo long!

• Guest October 29, 2019 at 12:51 am #

I don’t know how stylists don’t include clients measurements when liaising with designer/ fashion houses or tailors who can do simple alterations

• Jess Mara October 29, 2019 at 1:05 am #

It’s crazy right!!! Fashion and red carpet dressing is such a big business too that I dont understand when they get things like size/tailoring so wrong at big events.

21. Guest October 28, 2019 at 3:25 pm #

That yellow Carolina Herrera gown just sings against Renee’s skin tone. She looks gorgeous.

My other favorite look in this bunch is Olivia Wilde’s burgundy Ralph Lauren. Really sexy and perfectly styled.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:30 pm #

Those are my faves from this bunch too

22. CharlotteLG October 28, 2019 at 3:25 pm #

As good as Renée Elise Goldsberry looks, she does not seem to attend the same event as others, a bit out of place.
    Geena Davis and Olivia Wilde look good, even if I think we saw her in this dress more than once.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 28, 2019 at 10:31 pm #

I can see what you are saying. Renée’s does have a slightly less formal vibe, but still beautiful