Menu

February 6, 2019

Front Row @ Rodarte Fall 2019

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Front Row @ Rodarte Fall 2019

The Rodarte Fall 2019 show at the Huntington Library in Pasadena, California on Tuesday (February 5) was a delight of ruffles, lace and sheer details.

Rowan Blanchard: ‘The Girl Meets World’ actress showed off her developed sense of style in a Spring 2019 dress with APM Monaco jewels and Nicholas Kirkwood ‘Mira Pearl’ sandals. It oozed princess romance, but not in the typical manner.

Brie Larson: The ‘Captain Marvel’ actress was all wrapped up in a frothy Spring 2019 dress. The silk tie echoes the daintier bows on the neckline for a charming finish.

Tracee Ellis Ross: Never one to miss the chance to fully commit to a look, the actress was working her Spring 2019 outfit with all its lacy ruffles. The coordinating shoes were less jarring than the runway version.

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Front Row @ Rodarte Fall 2019

Dakota Fanning: She switched gears by channeling a bewitching mood in inky Spring 2019. It’s the finishing touches that really help bring the ensemble to life and show her innate sense of the brand.

Alana Haim: Also projecting a darker sentiment, the Haim band member showed some skin in a ruffled Spring 2018 piece. The unlined finish adds some major rocking spirit and sexiness to the frills. It’s a difficult look to pull off, but she did.

Danielle Haim: Alana’s sister went for a less directional look in a Spring 2018 dress. That’s not to say that the style was less striking. It was brimming with off-kilter sweetness.

Este Haim: Always known for projecting a coordinating (but not necessarily matching) look, the musician donned her best sheer black Spring 2018 dress which was at once witchy and sultry. I’m curious to see how the square-toed boots will be received with her and Danielle’s looks.

Lucy Boynton: The ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ actress struck a pose in a dramatic Fall 2018 dress with Chloe Gosselin shoes. Her lack of jewellery allowed the encrusted bodice and pouf sleeves to remain the focus.

Elsie Fisher: Boots and cool tailoring are becoming something of a signature for the young star and this Spring 2018 ensemble played right into it. The structure and clean lines were a nice break among all the frills.

Mackenzie Foy: ‘The Nutcracker and the Four Realms’ actress looked enchanting in Spring 2018. Blending the crop top with the skirt from the runway is a subtle change that makes a difference. The low shoes were a fresh take and suited someone of her 18 years.

Shailene Woodley: A Rodarte supporter, she wore a layered Fall 2018 dress with ease. The fusion of classic fabrics and the red pumps is effortless. There’s a timeless quality about it.

Maddie Ziegler: The dancer had a fairy tale moment in Fall 2017. Like Shailene’s look, there is a classic feel to the style. It’s still interesting with the dynamic lace and it carries the right amount of sweetness.

Stephan James: Representing the stylish men, the ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ actor was pure rock ‘n’ roll in a Spring 2017 fringed leather jacket with Giuseppe Zanotti shoes.

Marisa Tomei: The addition of the inky blazer completely changed the mood of her Spring 2018 tiered dress. It didn’t feel disconnected thanks to the black polka dots and heels.

Melanie Liburd: The ‘This Is Us’ actress made her Fall 2018 dress her own with her Giuseppe Zanotti shoes and finishing touches. The red in the lookbook gave it a wicked magical edge and removing it brought the delicateness back.

Credit: Getty

Melanie Thierry In Christian Dior & Chloe - 24th Lumieres De La Presse Internationale & 14th Globe De Cristal Ceremony

Melanie Thierry In Christian Dior & Chloe – 24th Lumieres De La Presse Internationale & 14th Globe De Cristal Ceremony

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Claire Foy In Christian Dior - 34th Santa Barbara International Film Festival

Claire Foy In Christian Dior – 34th Santa Barbara International Film Festival

50 Responses to Front Row @ Rodarte Fall 2019

1. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

2. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I am always in awe of Tracee and how she works the red carpet! Love her.

Dakota, Shailene (my favourite – who knew), Stephan and Melanie are also selling me their looks.

What really strikes me though is that these looks come from three years worth of collections, but feel like they could have been on the same runway. I appreciate designers have a signature, but all together it’s a bit much sameness for three years worth of creativity.

3. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I can’t pick a favourite!

4. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Tracee Ellis Ross looks great in her purple ruffles. Such a fan of the complete look.

5. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Love Lucy, Shailene and Maddie.

6. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Goodness Dakota, best dressed of the week contender for me. Total love. She is perfect in this.

7. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Rodarte only works for a certain type of girl and most of the ones here aren’t it. Shailene looks great though.

8. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Rowan Blanchard – “It oozed princess romance, but not in the typical manner.”

Yes, because I can see HER UNDERWEAR. I am yet to see Kate or Meghan’s.

9. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Shailene and Dakota are stunning!

10. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I like ruffled dresses but I can’t stand Rodarte’s treacly, unimaginative aesthetic. Enough!

11. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

So polka dots are back then, and with a vengeance called ruffles? Destroying looks since 2019.

12. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Couldn’t agree more.

13. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I burst into laughter seeing that first row. The word schmata came to mind.

Shailene and Marisa look good. The rest is a joke.

14. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Such bewitching blooms. All the women look amazing and what I like the most is that none of these outfits feels forced. Stephan looks nice too.

15. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Completely agree. Rowan looks stunning, Dakota’s dress is really special. I hope we’ll still get to see these dresses on a bigger stage.

16. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I used to think that I hated Rodarte but I find myself really enjoying the majority of these looks. I don’t think I have ever seen Shailene look better and I am all in with Dakota’s look. I don’t love sheer but Rowan looks so beautiful (like a fairy princess in the Spring) that I end up loving her look. Even the Haim sisters who I usually find pretty bad are working it here (except for the boots). Interesting to see a new permutation on Marisa of what I think of Kirsten Dunst’s killer 2017 Rodarte look from the Venice Film Festival. That dress is amazing. It worked on Kirsten. A slightly different version worked for Mandy Moore’s wedding dress and now this shorter version works on Marissa. The only looks that fall completely flat for me are Maddie’ (dress looks cheap) and Elsie’s.

17. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

This look like a costumey party!

18. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I’m not sure if it’s because they are all side by side, but that top row is too much, looks like they all popped out of a fairy floss machine, saccharine is an understatement. I really love fourth row, esp Shailene, and of course Stephan.

19. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

I don’t need to see more ruffles for the rest of 2019.

20. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

They all look fabulous, with one exception perhaps! I would like to add to this gallery the singer Maggie Rogers, one of my favourite looks: https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/front-row-celebrities-at-new-york-fashion-week-fall-2019#3

21. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Apart from Shailene’s dress and maybe Dakota’s and Lucy’s dresses on other people, I hate all the outfits. A lot of editing was needed. Love the candy hues of the top row though.

22. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Shailene’s is the only one that stands out. Rodarte has become so f-ing one-note.

23. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Rowan is 17 so the sheer skirt is too much for me.

Dakota is the best dressed, I’m in shock.

Stephan is living his best fashionista life and I like it lol.

24. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

LOVE Brie, Shailene (!), Rowan, Dakota and Stephan.
    Overall, I really enjoy this bunch of looks!

25. Guest April 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm #

Love Marisa’s ensemble.

26. kane February 10, 2019 at 6:30 pm #

27. miuccia February 7, 2019 at 1:16 pm #

28. Fiona-Brasil February 7, 2019 at 12:28 pm #

Shailene and Dakota are stunning!

29. Camilla February 7, 2019 at 8:05 am #

Rowan Blanchard – “It oozed princess romance, but not in the typical manner.”

Yes, because I can see HER UNDERWEAR. I am yet to see Kate or Meghan’s.

30. Kathy February 7, 2019 at 4:25 am #

31. cs February 7, 2019 at 3:57 am #

32. Caroline February 7, 2019 at 1:14 am #

Love Lucy, Shailene and Maddie.

33. Keshia Richmond February 7, 2019 at 12:48 am #

34. Caitlin February 6, 2019 at 10:35 pm #

I can’t pick a favourite!

35. Kimma February 6, 2019 at 9:11 pm #

I am always in awe of Tracee and how she works the red carpet! Love her.

• aa February 7, 2019 at 8:04 am #

36. Nadine February 6, 2019 at 9:03 pm #

Love Marisa’s ensemble.

37. Chris February 6, 2019 at 7:45 pm #

LOVE Brie, Shailene (!), Rowan, Dakota and Stephan.
    Overall, I really enjoy this bunch of looks!

38. justme February 6, 2019 at 7:15 pm #

Rowan is 17 so the sheer skirt is too much for me.

Dakota is the best dressed, I’m in shock.

Stephan is living his best fashionista life and I like it lol.

39. Ksenia Bradner February 6, 2019 at 6:22 pm #

40. TeaAtTwo February 6, 2019 at 5:58 pm #

41. Claire February 6, 2019 at 5:34 pm #

42. Weiss February 6, 2019 at 5:11 pm #

I don’t need to see more ruffles for the rest of 2019.

43. Vizual Ninja February 6, 2019 at 4:27 pm #

44. Charlotte February 6, 2019 at 4:07 pm #

This look like a costumey party!

45. JHH February 6, 2019 at 3:52 pm #

• Laura February 6, 2019 at 5:44 pm #

46. Tina K February 6, 2019 at 3:43 pm #

47. meme February 6, 2019 at 3:39 pm #

I burst into laughter seeing that first row. The word schmata came to mind.

Shailene and Marisa look good. The rest is a joke.

• CKMade February 6, 2019 at 3:50 pm #