Menu

16.10.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Karen Gee – Admiralty House

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Karen Gee - Admiralty House

While the news broke that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are expecting their first child, the couple were already in Australia for the start of their 16-day tour, with their first engagement at the Admiralty House in Sydney.

When Meghan wore that Givenchy coat to Princess Eugenie’s wedding many people guessed that she was pregnant, so the news wasn’t such a huge surprise.

Sticking to a familiar simple silhouette we’ve seen her wear before, Meghan wore a dress from Karen Gee – an Australian designer – which was appropriately called the ‘Blessed dress,’ which she styled with her favourite Stuart Weitzman ‘Legend’ pumps.

As this was a special day, the couple wanted Princess Diana to be part of it, so Meghan wore Princess Diana’s Heirloom butterfly earrings and bracelet.

I guess bump watch starts now, and it will be interesting to see how her style evolves – as this is a fashion website – during the course of her pregnancy.

Later during the day, Meghan added classic trench coat from Martin Grant, from the Resort 2019 collection.

Prince Harry was dressed in BOSS.

Credit: Karen Gee & Getty

Olivia Cooke In Prada - 'Life Itself' London Film Festival Premiere

Olivia Cooke In Prada – ‘Life Itself’ London Film Festival Premiere

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Brandon Maxwell - Admiralty House Reception

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Brandon Maxwell – Admiralty House Reception

53 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Karen Gee – Admiralty House

1. Paula October 18, 2018 at 5:01 am #

Ironically this is a very “Kate” look – not the colour or silhouette, but the fact that it is classic, well-tailored, flattering and appropriate for the occasion. No-one who went to see her should feel let down or confused, and no-one in the future will groan at it as embarrassingly dated – which is what we want from the Royals.

2. LaLa October 16, 2018 at 4:49 pm #

The accessories-as is her routine-were more must-see than the dress to me.

3. delphine October 16, 2018 at 3:52 pm #

Her style is boring AF.

• brat October 16, 2018 at 6:24 pm #

it really is. but the trench coat did make the outfit once she put in on. I live for a classic trench.

4. AnnaP October 16, 2018 at 12:45 pm #

Wow, the Duchess of Sussex looks glowing and serene. I’m so happy for them and what a stylish outfit to wear on the day of the announcement. She looks sensational in white with her beautiful hair. I adore that she is wearing Princess Diana’s jewellery – it really suits her.

I am really looking forward to all the looks on this tour. Duchess Meghan is the most stylish member of the royal family by a country mile!

• Caitlin October 17, 2018 at 4:59 am #

I don’t mean to come across as rude but I’m beginning to think you are a bot, AnnaP.

• brat October 17, 2018 at 4:38 pm #

She sure sounds like one, Meghan keep transcending to higher levels of perfection with every appearance. One day soon, she’ll sprout wings and fly to the heavens.

I picture her like a Stan, in a room surrounded by magazine cutouts of the Duchess.

• Caitlin October 19, 2018 at 1:32 am #

LOL exactly, the hyperbole surrounding MM’s style is amusing but quite baffling

• Kathy October 18, 2018 at 9:35 pm #

LOL

5. Lee Ann October 16, 2018 at 10:40 am #

I like the silhouette and the bracelet is a nice touch and the shoes agood colour . It’s a bit plain – I do wish that they could wear more interesting jewellry on the dress Be it a necklace or brooch -but it suits her colouring .

6. meme October 16, 2018 at 10:30 am #

She looks lovely and elegant. Classic silhouette.

7. CreoleLady October 16, 2018 at 7:22 am #

Local designer, “blessed” dress, Diana’s dainty butterfly earrings, subtly standing out amidst the dark suits, recalling bridal bliss while looking sleek/modern, and stunning against a backdrop featuring the white Sydney Opera House. That is master class level imagery right there. Well done.

• justme October 16, 2018 at 9:00 am #

Yes. Meghan seems extremely PR savvy and I mean that as a compliment. She knows exactly the image she wants to portray and how to do so.

• CreoleLady October 16, 2018 at 12:12 pm #

FC, thank you for adding pictures. I had not seen the pic of Meghan and Harry coming down the stairs. Positively living for that trench, sleeves pushed up, with the pumps. Crisp and fresh.

• AnnaP October 16, 2018 at 12:46 pm #

Oh yes, CreoleLady, I forgot to mention that gorgeous trench coat. I want it all!

• SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 1:29 pm #

• SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 1:28 pm #

I 100% agree; she appears super confident; great to see!

The message behind the dress as well as the picture is indeed a master class in communication

The dress while classy and appropriate is kind of boring; The shoes make sense when you see her with the coat.

• wednesday October 16, 2018 at 10:33 pm #

seems to me like she’s wearing the earrings upside-down

8. Caitlin October 16, 2018 at 5:41 am #

I think she looks great but I personally don’t like Karen Gee, for the sole reason that her designs are a blatant rip-off of Victoria Beckham of a few years back.

• CreoleLady October 16, 2018 at 7:33 am #

Well, some might say that Victoria Beckham’s early offerings were a blatant rip off of mentor Roland Mouret’s designs in her early days. Let’s call it even.

• justme October 16, 2018 at 8:50 am #

mte

• SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 1:37 pm #

You are on fire today; I 100% agree with you there about VB and RM especially at the beginning of her fashion career

• Caitlin October 17, 2018 at 1:27 am #

lol ok, so they’re a rip-off of Roland Mouret. Still doesn’t excuse it. Look at her website, she only offers like 10x dresses. Pretty lazy to rest your entire design career on the work of another far better int’l designer imo

• Lee Ann October 18, 2018 at 10:33 am #

I am not aware of who she is but many emerging designers can’t afford to make many dresses . I don’t think this is a blatant rip off of VB cough Mouret because it’s a fairly standard shift dress that every designer does. I have a beautiful white boule from Dior that could be its twin . I don’t think Raf Simon’s ripped of VB – I doubt she even registers on his. Designer radar

• Caitlin October 19, 2018 at 1:35 am #

Lee Ann that’s fair, but every single one of the limited dresses Karen Gee offers is a twin to VB or Mouret. Every single one… There are so many far more talented and original Australian designers MM could’ve supported. But there, I won’t get into the politics of that as I know people feel very strongly about it

9. moonbeam October 16, 2018 at 3:50 am #

Everything about this look is plain. There’s barely any fashion here. I guess that’s her style MO.

• brat October 16, 2018 at 4:55 am #

It’s nice but basic. I’m still waiting for a post on Princess Eugenie’s custom Zac Posen reception gown which, oddly, has not been covered here. Her wedding dress was nowhere half as special, and that got a post.

• Elizabeth October 16, 2018 at 6:07 am #

+1 I want to see it!!!!

• brat October 16, 2018 at 7:42 am #

Just Google it, or go to Zac Posen’s social media.

• Mark October 16, 2018 at 11:15 am #

Yaaaaaaaaaaaas please make this happen

• Ann-Marie October 16, 2018 at 11:28 am #

Couldn’t agree more. It’s just a plain white dress and nude pumps. If Duchess Kate wore such ensemble everyone would be eating her alive. Quite double standards…

• olga October 16, 2018 at 11:53 am #

• SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 1:42 pm #

That’s incorrect…… the level of criticism directed at MM is more than the one directed at KM. I don’t think there is anyone ( except maybe Melania Trump ) scrutinized as she is right now

I guess people have higher expectations from MM given her past career; while I don’t think many expect much from KM but KM can surprise people sometimes with her choices……

• Ann-Marie October 16, 2018 at 2:07 pm #

Maybe Duchess Meghan’s fashion choices are being criticised because she gives plenty of reasons for this criticism. For example the constant spending, everytime she steps out of the palace doors she’s wearing brand new designer outfit. Would it kill her to repeat at least something? A coat? A purse? No, it wouldn’t.
          Her job in not to be a “fashion icon”, she is not invited to events to “slay”, “rock” or whatever.

• meme October 16, 2018 at 2:31 pm #

I don’t get the criticism of MM at all. Give her some time and maybe she will repeat a bag or outfit. Jeesh, she’s been married half a second.

• SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 2:58 pm #

And she does repeat; I just went back a couple of pages on this website to see her repeat; she just does not repeat like KM does which means re-wearing not only the dress but styling it exactly the same or getting a new dress in the exact color…… I guess it is much easier to do it that way …. lol

Anyway; it is really a shame to see such comments.

Justme below is right; at least MM has helped KM get fans….funny but sad

• Ann-Marie October 16, 2018 at 3:14 pm #

And I really can’t understand why Duchess Meghan’s fans can’t handle comments that are not expressions of love.
                What is so shameful about expressing honest opinion? It’s not like I’m insulting anyone.
                Also I’m not cirticising Duchess Meghan as a person. I’m only talking about her fashion choices. And there is a huge difference between those two things – criticising a person and criticising fashion.

• SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 3:32 pm #

You can write whatever you want or have any opinion you wish but I will object to you calling me a fan of anyone…….

I object to anything that I deem incorrect for anyone here; that does not make me a fan of any celebrity or anyone really; so please keep those fan fights

Thanks

• Ann-Marie October 16, 2018 at 3:43 pm #

I couldn’t be much further away from what you’ve just called a “fan fight”.

• justme October 16, 2018 at 6:35 pm #

Meghan repeats her bags, shoes and jewerly all the time. She even wears clothes that she owned before being with Harry.

Like I said, Kate orders a McQueen dress in white, cream and pale yellow and she’s not a big spender? The hypocrisy is marvelous, honestly lol.

• mellie October 17, 2018 at 12:05 am #

Exactly! Moreover, they are given a same budget, so let them spend it as they wish. Kate already has an established “royal appropriate” wardrobe. Let Meghan build hers. Moreover a lot of her clutches are ones that she has past owned before being a Duchess

• justme October 16, 2018 at 1:54 pm #

Lol yeah… right. Let’s not pretend that the arrival of Meghan on the royal scene hasn’t done wonders for Kate’s online “popularity”. She wears the same dress in different colors and people suddenly call her modern.

• brat October 16, 2018 at 3:34 pm #

Kate remains more popular the only place that matters, England. Half of Meghan’s fans are American. For instance, more Brits watched Catherine’s wedding. More Americans tuned in to see Meghan. And yes, the criticism is understandable since she’s always going to be compared to Kate, who wore much more affordable brands in her early years as a Royal and recycled more frequently. In comparison, Meghan is a Spender. But she and her husband have the money, so I guess that’s their personal choice.

• Laura October 16, 2018 at 5:56 pm #

To be fair Meghan worked for years and was a successful actress. I would imagine she doesn’t get a bigger budget than Kate for clothing so how do you know its not her money she’s spending? I feel like she’s criticized no matter what she does she might as well do what she wants.

• brat October 16, 2018 at 6:22 pm #

She’s worth 6 million alone. If she’s spending her money to fund her wardrobe, it’s soon going to be gone. No worries, though, she now has the incredible generational wealth of the BRF to fall back on. Half their money isn’t even in liquid assets.

• Laura October 16, 2018 at 9:47 pm #

I know she can’t be gifted clothes but can she get them on loan? It’s what most celebrities do anyway. I

10. Joseph Bethel October 16, 2018 at 3:41 am #

This is a lovely look and a nice touch wearing a local designer.

• Jessica October 16, 2018 at 5:05 am #

Very simple but yes I like that she is wearing one of our wonderful designers. Shame it wasn’t more interesting though. Love the touch with the earrings.

• Milly October 16, 2018 at 8:46 am #

I’m happy she chose a local designer too, I hope she wears a few more during the tour. The dress is simple but it’s a great fit. This shade is so much more flattering on her than the dark colours she usually wears.

11. Imelda October 16, 2018 at 3:21 am #

SHE IS SO RADIANT!! Love it, the colour looks gorgeous on her and she looked effortless and comfortable. Excited to see what she’ll wear next. The thing about Meghan is, her style isn’t really that predictable, even if sometimes the execution might not be 100%, i still love seeing her grow

12. Jerusa Herrera October 16, 2018 at 3:18 am #

She looks happy, radiant! Congrats to them.

• Vizual Ninja October 16, 2018 at 5:05 am #

13. Fee October 16, 2018 at 3:09 am #

It’s simple but she is glowing. I thought Diana’s butterfly earrings were a lovely touch.