Menu

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Brandon Maxwell – Admiralty House Reception

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Brandon Maxwell - Admiralty House Reception

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex changed for a reception hosted by the Governor-General at Sydney’s Admiralty House, following a day of busy activity which included a trip to Taronga Zoo and watching a rehearsal of Spirit 2018 by the Bangarra Dance Theatre on Wednesday (October 16).

Opting to honour Princess Diana once again wearing her delicate butterfly earrings and a gold bangle, the Duchess changed into a khaki green dress from Brandon Maxwell’s Spring 2019 collection.

Informed by a chic fifties-inspired silhouette, this pleated shirt dress redefines chic day dressing.

Brandon Maxwell is known for his love of bold colours, just look at any of his collections following the mostly black Fall 2016 collection, but I wasn’t surprised that this look was toned down in this green hue.

Dior pumps completed her look.

If you are wondering, why this sudden upturn in stylish options during this tour which is barely 24 hours old, that because her best friend and stylist Jessica Mulroney has joined the couple on this tour, as it has been reported that the Duchess will be making approximately three outfit changes a day.

Brandon Maxwell Shirt Dress

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Karen Gee - Admiralty House

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Karen Gee – Admiralty House

Jennifer Lopez In Maticevski - ELLE's 25th Annual Women In Hollywood Celebration

Jennifer Lopez In Maticevski – ELLE’s 25th Annual Women In Hollywood Celebration

30 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Brandon Maxwell – Admiralty House Reception

1. Phee October 16, 2018 at 11:09 pm #

snoozy as usual.
    The dress is great on the runway though…

2. Stephanie Jones October 16, 2018 at 5:43 pm #

definitely needed to be taken up a few inches…the length is not flattering.

• brat October 16, 2018 at 6:26 pm #

maybe that’s what seemed overwhelming to me. I really like it on the model, and I love the army green.

3. LaLa October 16, 2018 at 4:47 pm #

Much more interesting than what I initially thought. I can’t wait to see what Jessica puts her in next.

4. Susannah October 16, 2018 at 3:14 pm #

I think she looks pretty and comfortable which is what I think you’d want on a grueling tour when you’re pregnant.

5. brat October 16, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

I actually love the color but there’s something overwhelming about the dress on her frame, the model doesn’t have that problem.

• JHH October 16, 2018 at 6:14 pm #

6. J October 16, 2018 at 2:32 pm #

She should have worn it in red. That army green color is ghastly.

7. meme October 16, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

She looks lovely H2T

8. Eva October 16, 2018 at 2:09 pm #

It’s a cute shirtdress; nothing groundbreaking, but she obviously look beautiful! I will say though, beauty-wise, I think the bronzer and heavy eye makeup is a bit too much for a daytime event.

9. olga October 16, 2018 at 1:37 pm #

I’ve seen other photos and I don’t like the back of the dress nor the fit in the upper bust.

10. SilentVisitor October 16, 2018 at 1:23 pm #

oh….I wish she had worn the red version but I understand why she didn’t

Her face is almost perfect; the woman is stunning!

• brat October 16, 2018 at 6:27 pm #

yup, that face is her best feature.

11. Hannah October 16, 2018 at 1:09 pm #

Oh, how I wish she wore this dress in red or at least kept the belt.

But nonetheless she looks very good.

12. VG October 16, 2018 at 12:50 pm #

It’s a nice dress but I too wish she had worn it in the red. And kept the belt and sandals as per the runway. But I understand why she didn’t.
    I also hope we see her in more local designers. I think she would look divine in Alex Perry or Maticesvski or Zimmermann. Fingers crossed they make an appearance!

• Catherine Kallon October 16, 2018 at 9:28 pm #

co-sign on Alex Perry, Maticesvski and especially Zimmermann.

13. Eni October 16, 2018 at 12:29 pm #

I love this look!

14. TeaAtTwo October 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm #

I’m curious about the acquisition of the ss19 dress, if royal aren’t allowed freebies then did she get a request special made from designer after seeing it online before the collection has gone onsale or even a trunk show? It’s not a criticism btw.
    I prefer the red and would prefer a British or Australian designer.

• olga October 16, 2018 at 12:39 pm #

Why do you think she never wears British designers? Is it a deliberate choice or just a coincidence?

• Susannah October 16, 2018 at 3:12 pm #

Jumping in if that’s Ok but I think she uses Jessica Mulrooney as her stylist a lot and she may favor Canadian and American designers rather than British. Meghan should probably get a British stylist just to highlight more British fashion as I believe that’s something she’s supposed to do as a member of the BRF.

• Willa October 16, 2018 at 5:44 pm #

Is this rule just for Meghan because Princess Eugenie didn’t wear a British Designer for her wedding did she? I don’t think it’s actually protocol.

• TeaAtTwo October 16, 2018 at 8:39 pm #

Peter Pilotto is British based at least the Zac Posen was at the private event. All senior royal should be seen supporting British industry. If Catherine were wearing foreign based labels as often as Meghan has I would be critical too, I wasn’t a fan when she wore Dolce to Wimbledon. It’s not a rule but it’s really good form that the labels or designers should have a British connection when on public duties unless abroad or meeting foreign dignitaries then their connection should be considered.

• Catherine Kallon October 16, 2018 at 9:34 pm #

The Duchess would’ve paid for it, because as you say, they are not allowed to accept gifts.

It may have been a sample that she purchased or perhaps she opted for the dress to be created in green for her especially

Even though these collections were only shown last month, most are complete months in advance.

Designers are probably already looking ahead to Spring 2020

• TeaAtTwo October 17, 2018 at 8:03 am #

Thanks for the information.

15. CreoleLady October 16, 2018 at 12:02 pm #

Nice fit and finish plus easy to get in and out of cars without discomfort or flashing anyone. She is after all early in a pregnancy, who knows if she suffers from morning sickness or anything else. Although I am wistfully looking at the red.

At least it is not a coat dress.

16. NZ October 16, 2018 at 12:00 pm #

She should’ve gone with the red.

17. Fiona-Brasil October 16, 2018 at 11:34 am #

I prefer the red but nevertheless I love this look!

18. Ann-Marie October 16, 2018 at 11:30 am #

It’s albsolutely nothing special. Simple shirt dress and nude pumps. Next!

• Maddie October 16, 2018 at 1:47 pm #

19. justme October 16, 2018 at 11:22 am #

I’m torn because she definitely would have killed the red option but it might have been over the top for an afternoon reception.

Her makeup skills are on point btw.