Menu

September 8, 2020 Advertising

Cardi B Is The New Face Of Balenciaga

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Cardi B Is The New Face Of Balenciaga

As you know, when it comes to fashion ad campaigns I need it to make sense.

Cate Blanchett for Giorgio Armani SiSofia Vergara and Monica Bellucci for Dolce & Gabbana. Lady Gaga for Versace. Marion Cotillard for Chanel No. 5Keaun Reeves for Saint Laurent.

These all make sense.

I’m still trying to get my head around Rita Ora for Escada, initially Jennifer Lopez for Coach (but she has since been wearing a lot of their products in her day-to-day life) , and who can forget Ariana Grande for Givenchy? Which turned out to be a blink and you missed it campaign.

And now we have Cardi B for Balenciaga.

In her song, ‘I like it,’ she raps ” I like those Balenciagas, the ones that look like socks.”

And that’s kinda were the association ends.

But giving credit where credit is due, she looks beautiful in this image which was shot and styled by Cardi’s team at her Los Angeles home.

Balenciaga Fall 2020

The campaign features the singer wearing a slinky black look from the brand’s Fall 2020 collection, while she’s surrounded by kids’ toys, as well as Balenciaga’s Neo Classic bag.

If you follow Cardi on Instagram, this picture could’ve easily been taken from her page, so with regards to authenticity, I can’t knock this.

In terms of is this a great brand fit for Cardi when it comes to the red carpet, she’s worn one of only 4 looks I can actually see her wearing.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me to see her rock one of those blazers with the extreme pointy blazers.

Credit: Balenciaga

We earn a commission when you follow the link to make a purchase.

Shop the look

, , ,

Best Dressed Of The Week - Elodie In Versace

Best Dressed Of The Week – Elodie In Versace

'The World To Come' Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

‘The World To Come’ Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

10 Responses to Cardi B Is The New Face Of Balenciaga

1. phee September 15, 2020 at 10:44 am #

what an odd odd mix.

2. TeaAtTwo September 10, 2020 at 6:17 am #

I picture her in the body suits outfits and items worn by male models on the runway most easily but she had that fabulous few days in Paris where she wore Richard Quinn so we could be pleasantly surprised by seeing her in those bold shouldered midi dresses. There’s a teal? leather or patent coat – look 71 -with a shaggy fur collar that would really good.

3. Original Meme September 8, 2020 at 9:54 pm #

Nope. We all know what she really looks like and this isn’t it. 2020 can’t end soon enough.

4. JHH September 8, 2020 at 7:16 pm #

I’m neutral on this pairing. It’s not as odd to me as the Rita Ora, Ariana Grande, and Jennifer Lopez pairings. The main reason is that I can totally see Cardi B in the Balenciaga Knife over the knee boots.

• Fee September 9, 2020 at 12:21 pm #

I still think Ariana Grande x Givenchy was the most confusing celebrity/fashion house pairing of all time (actually I will throw Lindsay Lohan and Chanel in there too). Cardi actually looks really beautiful in this ad.

5. JH September 8, 2020 at 6:19 pm #

Big fat no. As Andy said above, 2020 strikes again. LOL

• weiss September 9, 2020 at 2:35 am #

I think Cardi does makes sense with Demma’s Balenciaga. I dont think she has worn a lot of the brand but I saw her wearing of their structured coats from the Fall 2018 collection and she looked amazing. I hope she doesn’t get pigeonholed into wearing hoodies and sneakers if this is more than a campaign thing.

6. Andy September 8, 2020 at 6:03 pm #

As if 2020 couldn’t get worse…

• Catherine Kallon September 8, 2020 at 7:04 pm #