Menu

April 15, 2020

The Next Designer For Givenchy Should Be…

I’m sure the hunt is already on for the next designer for Givenchy, but who do you feel would be a great fit for the brand?

Alber Elbaz

We haven’t heard much from the Israeli fashion designer since he left Lanvin back in 2015.  Could this be his grand return to the spotlight?

Lanvin never really recovered after he left.

Phoebe Philo

This is probably a long shot, as I have always felt that with her hardcore following she would be better suited to starting her own label.  But this is worth considering.

Riccardo Tisci

Could Clare leaving see a return of the designer to Givenchy?

Is Burberry’s chief creative officer done with presenting his refreshing take on the British house?

Raf Simons

The Belgian fashion designer has served as creative director of the German label Jil Sander (2005–12), as artistic director of the French fashion house Christian Dior (2012–15), and as chief creative officer of the American brand Calvin Klein (2016–18), plus his own label.

Is he looking for another dual creative director role at two fashion houses?

He has Haute Couture experience, which is probably Phoebe’s only weakness in this line up.

Do you have any other suggestions?  I would love to hear who you think would be a great fit for Givenchy.

Clare Waight Keller's Most Memorable Moments For Givenchy

Clare Waight Keller’s Most Memorable Moments For Givenchy

Jasmine Tookes Year of Ours Bandana Bra & Leggings

Jasmine Tookes Year of Ours Bandana Bra & Leggings

45 Responses to The Next Designer For Givenchy Should Be…

1. Kay June 15, 2020 at 8:10 pm #

Telfar Clemens

2. FromRussiaWithLove April 17, 2020 at 3:10 pm #

As inspired as these choices are unfortunately we would get someone young and hip and street, someone like the Alyx guy or the Meier duo. And none of the four mentioned are contractually available. Only Phoebe, but she won’t go to LVMH ever again. Her only choice now is Chanel (oh, I wish).

3. Lee Ann April 17, 2020 at 9:54 am #

I doubt Raf would ever work for a LMVH brand again . His time at Dior was not a happy one .

My wish is that they move MGC over to Givenchy and let a grown up take over Dior – MGC is really an accessory designer which is what they need . It be great if Phoebe could then take over Dior

4. TeaAtTwo April 17, 2020 at 9:09 am #

If branding and accessories sales are a big motivator perhaps Christopher Bailey could be a good commercial choice. Though I wander how beautiful his couture work would be.

5. boy April 16, 2020 at 5:13 pm #

Alber’s working on something with Richemont and Raf is joining Prada so we can rule those out. Phoebe could be interesting, but I don’t think she’s coming back so soon.
    How about Bouchra Jarrar? Or Olivier Theyskens? Maybe Galliano as a wildcard…

6. Rizz April 16, 2020 at 5:11 pm #

Throwing a curveball… Zac Posen

• nooyoo April 16, 2020 at 7:36 pm #

YESSSSSSS PLEASE!

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 7:57 pm #

Yes! I could see that, and his own label folded recently, didn’t it?

7. RN April 16, 2020 at 9:28 am #

HAIDER ACKERMANN!

8. Rachelle April 16, 2020 at 7:39 am #

STEFANO PILATI

• Catherine Kallon April 16, 2020 at 7:58 am #

OOOh. Why didn’t I think of that. He would be a really good choice.

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 9:11 am #

I would be enthused to see his Givenchy collection.

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 8:05 pm #

Very good possibility! I l really enjoyed him at YSL, and that campaign that Naomi did for YSL while he was there was absolutely divine!

9. Saudin April 16, 2020 at 2:46 am #

From the ones mentioned above, I think Alber Elbaz would do the best… but let me throw in the mix a name that hasn’t been mentioned the last few years……. FRIDA GIANNINI

• Catherine Kallon April 16, 2020 at 7:58 am #

Yes, what happened to Frida?

• FromRussiaWithLove April 17, 2020 at 3:18 pm #

I think she is in charity now, absolutely disappointed in fashion system

• Saudin April 17, 2020 at 5:43 pm #

Last year she gave an interview for an italian newspaper saying “Throughout these years I’ve been submitted several offers: some I discarded, some I considered. Yes, it’s possible that there will be interesting news this year,” the designer is quoted as saying. “Should I make a comeback to fashion, I’d want it to be for a less all-absorbing role than [the one] I had at Gucci,”

10. Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 1:22 am #

I will also add that Givenchy needs a sort of dark romance to it, and I don’t see that for anyone besides Riccardo in that list.

I also want to STRONGLY second P.’s suggestion of Josep Font…. and for fun I’d also like to throw in Simon Porte Jacquemus into the mix. His current design aesthetic definitely doesn’t give me Givenchy vibes, but I like the idea of a designer living in two worlds between their eponymous brand and a big maison– AND, call me age-ist, but I think that sort of multi tasking is more of a skill in younger/fresher designers. (Think of the difference between Alex Wang’s personal designs and his Balenciaga designs.)

• Catherine Kallon April 16, 2020 at 8:00 am #

I don’t see Josep Font at Givenchy. I don’t see him adapting to that dark aesthetic

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 9:27 am #

Josep Font at Lanvin might be a fit?

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 8:00 pm #

That’s a very good point there is a certain bubbly lightness to his designs. It’s kind of like if Ikea did couture.

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 9:25 am #

There some nice pieces but Wang’s Balenciaga collections were rather meh overall.

• Los_NGLS April 17, 2020 at 10:27 pm #

Some may have considered them “meh”, lol, but he took care to let his own label and Balenciaga live in two different worlds. Something Demna is not doing at all. If it weren’t for him slapping that damn name everywhere, I wouldnt be able to tell Vetemens and Balenciaga apart.

11. Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 1:10 am #

Someone new and fresh. Givenchy needs someone who can deliver the cross-section of youthful energy, breathtaking design with touches of avant-garde, and absurd classic chicness. I wonder what happened with Claire, it seemed like she was doing sooo well. I loved her last few collections. ALSO, I wonder where she is going (it def sounded like she had solid plansin her IG goodbye) AND I wonder if Duchess Meghan will follow her there???

NAYS
    – Riccardo could do all of that… but he’s already done it, would be a strange for him to go back.
    – Raf might have it in him, but I’ve always seen him as a minimalist, and I don’t think minimalism is what Givenchy needs.
    – I don’t see it for Alber and Phoebe.

YAYS
    – Imagine Mary Katrantzou,
    – Or Iris Van Herpen (but ban her from 3D printing, for variety from namesake designs, lol),
    – Or Virgil Abloh (though I doubt it’s possible to do men’s at Louis and everything at
    Givenchy, and Off-White too),
    – Orrrr how about Kerby Jean Raymond (Pyer Moss)!
    – Or Brandon Maxwell (minimalistic in a way too, but I think he would challenge himself if
    given the job).

Lastly, apologies for not posting in the past month+, its been a little crazy (I am in NYC) but more importantly I could couldn’t (and still can’t) figure out how to log in to my account here [insert upside smiley faces]

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 8:12 am #

Nooo to Virgil taking the helm of Givenchy. A lot of his work seems to be ‘inspired ‘ by other current designers. Though he is doing a good job brand/cachet wise.

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 8:10 pm #

Lol, true, often “inspired”. I do love everything he does at LV Mens though, he’s such a great fit there, I’m always excited to see that show.

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 8:24 pm #

Yeah, he’s better at menswear, streetwear and branding.

12. Nat39 April 15, 2020 at 11:55 pm #

I’m voting for the return of Riccardo Tisci.

13. anonymous as always April 15, 2020 at 9:55 pm #

“with her hardcore following” yep, that’s me right here ☝🏻

14. P. April 15, 2020 at 8:24 pm #

I don’t know if he would be a good match but I really miss seeing Josep Font’s work. He did such a good job with Delpozo and it would be interesting to see what he can offer next.

• anonymous as always April 15, 2020 at 9:53 pm #

Oh yes! What an excellent recommendation! He put Delpozo on the fashion map for me and he would fit very well in Givenchy.

• TeaAtTwo April 15, 2020 at 10:04 pm #

That would be an interesting appointment.

• KT April 15, 2020 at 11:00 pm #

Alber all the way. Miss his designs

• Breverjohn April 16, 2020 at 4:26 am #

I’d say Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen just to add confusion.

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 1:15 am #

OMG Josep, yes! I love Delpozo.

15. TeaAtTwo April 15, 2020 at 6:48 pm #

I loved Raf Simons at Jil Sander, really liked some of his work Dior and strongly disliked the rest, at Calvin Klein I was most confuses about what he aiming for. I think I would like to see how his collaboration with Prada will pan out.

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 8:13 pm #

Yeah, I liked some of his one-off celeb pieces at Calvin but I didn’t get it overall. I think he’ll be a good fit with Muccia.

16. TeaAtTwo April 15, 2020 at 6:43 pm #

Mary Kantrantzou could fit in so well at Givenchy, a good mixture of imprinting her own take at the house but also keeping some of the brand identity that it has had under CWK.
    Olivier Theyskens was a designer who I thought ideal for couture but I haven’t really followed his work for a while.

• Catherine Kallon April 15, 2020 at 7:03 pm #

Love the idea of Mary Kantrantzou

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 1:14 am #

OMG, Mary was my first thought BEFORE reading through the comments!
      And I will say this about Raf, I saw some of his designs at the Dior 70 year exhibition in Paris, summer 2017 (completely unplanned accident, was in Paris for 3 days after a friends wedding in Florence and saw an ad in the subway) and his designs are far more intricate and interesting up close… But I still dont think he’s right for Givenchy

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 9:26 am #

That sounds like a most glamorous summer trip.

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 8:06 pm #

A bit too glamorous for my pockets tqh :-I

• Los_NGLS April 16, 2020 at 8:14 pm #

*tbqh

• TeaAtTwo April 16, 2020 at 9:31 pm #

I hope you have fond memories of the trip. 🙂

• Los_NGLS April 17, 2020 at 10:30 pm #

Thank you, and I do! It was my first time in Italy, which also included Rome, and I’ll always love Paris <3 (I'd insert a photo in here but that option doesn't seem to be available currently)