Menu

September 24, 2019

2019 Emmy Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Posted by Rachel Watkins

Many more stars were at the 2019 Emmy Awards on Sunday (September 22). Here’s a snapshot of the diverse looks that they were wearing.

Kristen Bell: This Christian Dior gown was a dazzling way to take on a spectrum of colours in a sophisticated yet statement-making way.

Isla Fisher: The actress was a silver goddess in a Zuhair Murad metallic plisse gown that was the epitome of old Hollywood glamour — even if it maybe fell a smidge too long.

Robin Wright: The black belting on this Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccarello gown was clearly a nod to edgier form for the Grecian gown.

Eliza Scanlen: Wearing top-to-toe Miu Miu, Eliza fully embraced this darling princess moment. From the bows and frill to the embellished “slippers,” the look was very twee. But, the sweetness was so well put-together that it worked for the young star.

Dascha Polanco: The puff bow sleeves on this Christian Siriano Resort 2020 design would put any 80s prom gown to shame.

Joey King: This scarlet Zac Posen gown was striking in its simplicity against Joey’s alabaster skin. Swarovski jewels and Stuart Weitzman ‘Disco’ platforms unified the look, but stayed within the more minimal theme.

Catherine O’Hara: This custom Greta Constantine colour-block gown may get comparisons to Cruella de Vil’s black-and-white wardrobe. Giuseppe Zanotti sandals completed the bold look.

Halsey: Before taking to the Emmys stage to perform, Halsey was on the red carpet. We often see her in far more provocative looks, but she literally took a softer stance in this Rami Kadi lavender degrade gown.

Maisie Williams: With distinct retro-mod flair, this custom JW Anderson dress made an impact and Maisie wore it so well with Repossi jewels and Roger Vivier embellished shoes.

MJ Rodriguez: I can appreciate the saturated intensity of the fuchsia hue in this custom Jason Wu Collection gown, but the creases in the ball skirt and the black bows under the bodice spoiled it for me. Anita Ko jewels completed the look.

Busy Philipps: The actress wasn’t ready to leave summer behind in her custom Lela Rose Mirabelle yellow Swiss dot point d’espirit tulle gown — that could have also passed as an elaborate slip. She styled it with Irene Neuwirth jewelry and Stuart Weitzman ‘Sohot’ platforms, but it was the white clutch that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Nathalie Emmanuel: My issue with this Miu Miu gown is that it actually looks a little bit dated, between the placement of the cutouts and the oversized, crystallized embroidery. She accessorised with Anita Ko jewels.

Nicole Byer: Nicole was radiant in this sunny-yellow Christian Siriano cold-shoulder gown — and the twist of her updo was the crowning glory to the bold and beautiful entrance.

Christina Applegate: Gray will forever be a tricky hue to wear on the red carpet, and this custom Vera Wang Collection dress fell a bit flat for that reason. But, with all the ruffles and ruching, it seemed a bit contrived anyway. I do love the spark of her magenta lip here.

Sandra Oh: This simple, sculpted Zac Posen gown created a lovely silhouette for Sandra, which she accompanied with Messika Jewellery and Gina heels. I wish she had gone lighter on the blush and deeper on the lip here.

Melanie Liburd: I understand the allure of a big train on a big red carpet, but I just wanted to detach this overwrought tulle one and let the Azzi & Osta Couture peplum jumpsuit speak for itself.

Clea DuVall: Taking a page from the guys, she wore a Styland tux with Hearts On Fire jewelry for an intriguing departure from the sea of gowns and stilettos.

Amy Poehler: I like where Amy was going with this Greta Constantine brushed-gold jumpsuit, but the execution and fit didn’t quite come together — plus, I’m not sure why the black tie was there.

Natasha Lyonne: This metallic Gucci plisse gown styled with David Webb jewels immediately reminded me of something Florence Welch would wear. But, with the big bow, it also fit Natasha’s quirkier style.

Lyric Ross: The ‘This Is Us’ breakout starlet wore a Rubin Singer gown with a Tadashi Shoji clutch that was lovely, albeit perhaps a bit mature for her 15 years. The blunt bob did succeed in adding some youthful quality back to it.

Eris Baker: Another ‘This Is Us’ starlet, Eris had a bit more youthful fun with her Tadashi Shoji tulle tier gown and Hearts on Fire jewels. But it was the glitter makeup and sparkling headpiece where she really added her version of princess spunk to the look.

Jameela Jamil: I loved this mint-green Monique Lhuillier confection against Jameela’s complexion, even if it was a bit creased in some areas — and that the clutch matched seamlessly. The neon-coral lip was another spot-on choice here to bring fire to the look.

Lena Headey: Everything was coming up roses for Lena in this Brock Collection ruffle gown, whereby the distinct femininity was spliced through with the darker mystique of the black ribbon.

Jodie Comer: Spliced through several ways, this Tom Ford gown relied on slits at the shoulders, bust, and thigh for impact. I probably would have opted for a metallic sandal, but maybe black was selected to stay further out of bridal territory. Tiffany & Co. jewels completed the look.

Susan Kelechi Watson: I think Susan and Dascha Polanco were drinking the same style Kool-Aid with their love of pouf sleeves last night. Again, I would have preferred this Badgley Mischka Spring 2020 red gown without the pink appendages — especially since her Anabela Chan earrings were so striking of their own accord.

Niecy Nash: There would be no missing Niecy (or the girls) in this glinting Christian Siriano gown and matching turban.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus: The actress had a golden moment in this Oscar de la Renta dress that perhaps seemed just a teensy bit snug, or perhaps it was just her pose. Irene Neuwirth jewelry and shiny sandals followed her metallic mood.

Emily Hampshire: Much like Joey King, Emily went the way of crimson with a J. Mendel ruffle gown against her alabaster skin to gothic-glam effect. She styled the look with a Tyler Ellis clutch and Stuart Weitzman ‘Nudist Disco’ sandals.

Greta Lee: A look like this Christopher John Rogers design is hard to forget, so I’m sure you’ll recall that Tracee Ellis Ross wore a version of it not too long ago. The bib-like top felt a bit awkward here, but I can still appreciate the experimentation and illuminating, holographic lime hue.

Laura Linney: If the trousers had cut a slimmer silhouette, I think this two-piece look would have immediately been elevated.

Sian Clifford: Although this Emilia Wickstead dress was in a soft crème shade, it still cut a more severe attitude with the strict silhouette and fan sleeves.

Patricia Arquette: Another lady in white, Patricia wore a Christian Siriano gown that took on a gracious, serene mood. The more expressive side of the actress came through with the heavier metal hardware of her tassel clutch.

Credit: Getty

Heidi Gardner In Badgley Mischka - 2019 Emmy Awards

Heidi Gardner In Badgley Mischka – 2019 Emmy Awards

2019 Emmy Awards Menswear

2019 Emmy Awards Menswear

24 Responses to 2019 Emmy Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. Guest October 1, 2019 at 12:24 am #

I adore Kristen Bells gown! Gorgeous.. I also loved Maise’s dress. Joey King would have been amazing if her hair was different.

2. Guest September 24, 2019 at 6:31 pm #

all time personal bests for halsey and natasha lyonne here. not sure the hype over maisie’s — the design looks like her bra strap is peeking out.

3. Guest September 24, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

Maisie looks so confident and stylish. The dfress goes with her personality.Loved lena’s. Very understated, simple. Jamila Jameel, Susan, Jodie and Isla are my other favourites

4. Guest September 24, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Maisie Williams’ look was one of my favorites of the night.
    I also think that Natasha Lyonne, Eliza Scanlen, Joey King and Robin Wright among others wore looks that are very well suited to them and nailed it.

5. Sharon M September 24, 2019 at 11:16 am #

What was Amy thinking? It is too big, the color is terrible. I could go on, but I love her, and will stop here.

6. MissCoco September 24, 2019 at 11:05 am #

My favorite here is Joey King, her natural beauty shines in that look, divine!
    Also Maisie, she commands the look with her confidence. Kristen, Jodie Comer, Lyric, Melanie (w/o the train) and Sandra (w/o the make up) are great too, love their looks.
    Halsey, stands out with that work of art as a gown. The level of detail and the delicate overall effect is beautiful!

7. KseniaBradner September 24, 2019 at 11:01 am #

Some of these deserved their own post, especially Kristen Bell’s Dior.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards September 24, 2019 at 11:17 am #

Hello. We posted around 30 individual posts, at over 7 pages deep. Which took nearly 6 hours or more. Not everyone can get an individual post. Rachel has provided really thoughtful commentary on each person here.

8. _Hannah_ September 24, 2019 at 10:50 am #

Firstly I want to applaud Christian Siriano – one of the few designers who is not afraid of woman’s body and can/do design for different body shapes.
    My fav here are Kristen’s – amazing dress and looks great when it moves and Maisie’s – very edgy.
    I’m glad to see Jameela here – she looks really good here (although I like her more in suits ;)). I love the beauty look and her earrings.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards September 24, 2019 at 11:20 am #

I totally agree. I applaud him too

9. Guest September 24, 2019 at 10:03 am #

Sian Clifford’s dress is my favorite of the whole evening – the front is interesting but the back made it a winner. It was really quite unique, elegant and modern.

10. Kat September 24, 2019 at 9:55 am #

Overall, a fantastic red carpet. People took risks, (most) people looked great. Lots of colours, silhouettes, textures. Love it.

My faves (of this bunch) are Halsey, Maisie and Emily.

But my overall favourites from the event were Angela Bassett and Carice Van Houten, followed by Marisa Tomei. Angela and Carine are now on my BDOTY list.

Great coverage FC and team x

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards September 24, 2019 at 11:14 am #

Thank you. I enjoyed this one for the risks that were taken.

11. Guest September 24, 2019 at 9:37 am #

Kristen followed by Joey and Sian. I actually like Halsey’s gown but I dislike alot her hairstyle and Sandra’s hairstyle too.

12. Guest September 24, 2019 at 9:34 am #

I love Maisie’s dress and Joey king’s. Halsey’s dress was lovely also.

13. Guest September 24, 2019 at 5:31 am #

I’m really glad you featured Kristen here because when I saw it on Instagram, it became immediatly one of my favourites! This dress is great! I also liked Maisie a lot and I have to say I quite like Nathalie too. It’s very “her” and her hair looks amazing on this occasion.

14. Guest September 24, 2019 at 5:24 am #

Kristen stands out most for me. Joey looks lovely as well.

15. Guest September 24, 2019 at 4:32 am #

With that hairstyle, Patricia looks like a monk. I really wish Laura had worn slim cut pants — that would have been a great outfit. Emily, Niecy, Maisie, and the first row look great. Eliza looks like a lovely doll. Shout out to Halsey for covering up and looking good doing it. The rest are ranging from me to dated to “welcome to dullsville.”

16. Noor September 24, 2019 at 4:00 am #

First one I noticed is Maisie. Normally I’m not a fan of her previous looks. Anyhow here she deserve to be in the BDOTW list (not to be the BD though). She has chosen a good looking dress and I like the black and white color shading.
    Others I like is, Kristen Bell, Joey King, Halsey, Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer, Emily Hampshire and Sian Clifford. Extra attention for Nathalie’s hair style. It’s an improvement. Her dress also better than some. And Lena. She looked fine on the stage. But to me that black ribbon has ruined everything.

17. Guest September 24, 2019 at 3:09 am #

I actually like the addition of pink sleeves on Susan Kelechi – they totally add charm and make the look more special. The fit of the gown is sharp and flattering, and her styling is fab, those earrings are gorgeous – easily the best of red-and-pink and one of my faves of the night.

18. SarahS95 September 24, 2019 at 1:49 am #

Of this bunch my favourites are Isla, Joey, Catherine, and Emily! They’re all pretty classic looks but they’re done well and so I’m a big fan!

19. Guest September 24, 2019 at 1:13 am #

Maisie looked so cool.

20. Vizual Ninja September 24, 2019 at 12:34 am #

Really love Kristen here, I think one of my favourites actually. Top row is good overall. I also like Sian, Joey, Emily and Susan. And all I can say is daaaaammn Niecy, I’m not even fond of the dress,kinda dated, but she looks freaking good generally.

21. Guest September 24, 2019 at 12:12 am #

I had seen a close-up pic of Sandra Oh last night. That is prob the worst makeup of the night. It looks like she’s seriously sun-burnt on the cheeks.
    It’s a shame coz the pink looks lovely on her.