Menu

06.12.18

The Hollywood Reporter’s Power 100 Women In Entertainment

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon feature The Hollywood Reporter's Power 100 Women In Entertainment

Lupita Nyong’o was joined on the red carpet for The Hollywood Reporter’s Power 100 Women In Entertainment event on Wednesday (December 5) in Los Angeles, California, by a host of lovely ladies.

Amandla Stenberg: The young actress continues to have fun with fashion. This time she wore a Sies Marjan Fall 2018 striped suit which was oversized, but not outsized. The pretty pink hue ensured a feminine vibe.

Danai Gurira: The actress is back to wearing bold colour, and I couldn’t be happier. While I love the draping of this Poiret Spring 2019 dress, I prefer how this dress was presented on the runway.

Awkwafina: I surprised that even with this cheery bug-print MSGM top and skirt that the actress still can’t raise a smile.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw: I wasn’t surprised to see another suiting option on this red carpet. The tailored look is so striking in red, with the asymmetrical buttons adding interest. I’m a little thrown by the white clutch here. Surely black was a better options considering her buttons.

Yalitza Aparicio: This Novis Fall 2018 dress was easily my favourite look on this red carpet for multiple reasons. The colour – obviously – followed by the print and the vibrant styling. This look reminds me of Mindy Kaling before she opted for all dark colours, all of the damn time.

Elsie Fisher: The young ‘A24’ star was mixing ’60s vintage jacket with a saffron yellow Cos skirt. The boots and her go-to Kate Spade New York ‘Nicola’ bag kept the look feeling youthful.

Mandy Moore: The newlywed was back on the red carpet wearing one of her favourite brands: Gabriela Hearst. The off-the-shoulder design is made all the more girlie with delicate ruffles. I love how the mix media floral pumps really enliven the look.

Viola Davis: You can’t get more classic, or chic than black and white.

Christina Ricci: This boucle suit is very chic, but I feel it ages Christina.

Lena Dunham: The only thing working for me here are Lena’s red pumps.

Susan Kelechi Watson: Nice idea in theory, but those drapes were overwhelming.

Whitney Cummings: I want to like this Madiyah Al Sharqi look, but there is too much one-note-ness going on. Perhaps a contrasting belt would’ve lifted things here.

Credit: Getty

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon feature the Priyanka Chopra Weds Nick Jonas In Ralph Lauren

Priyanka Chopra Weds Nick Jonas In Ralph Lauren

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon feature the Gigi Hadid In Zac Posen - 2019 Pirelli Calendar Launch Gala

Gigi Hadid In Zac Posen – 2019 Pirelli Calendar Launch Gala

11 Responses to The Hollywood Reporter’s Power 100 Women In Entertainment

1. Caroline December 7, 2018 at 3:09 pm #

Danai, Gugu, Mandy and Whitney.

2. TinaL December 7, 2018 at 4:19 am #

Gugu, Amandla Stenberg and Awkwafina, love their bright and colorful clothes selections.

3. Dani Shuster December 7, 2018 at 2:13 am #

I enjoy this website and I generally appreciate the commentary, but I just want to say it rubs when the wrong way when you (the writers?) complain about various women not smiling. Maybe some people don’t want to smile….maybe they want to come off cool or mysterious. Or maybe they feel somewhat uncomfortable being scrutinized on a red carpet. Maybe you’d direct the same kind of comments towards a man, but I don’t think I’ve come across it.

• Vizual Ninja December 7, 2018 at 1:11 pm #

+1 This is a soapbox I’ve climbed on, it rubs me wrong too.

4. Fanny December 6, 2018 at 10:27 pm #

Despite the shoes and the clutch Gugu is my favourite here. That suit looks amazing on her.

• phee December 7, 2018 at 12:28 am #

5. Vizual Ninja December 6, 2018 at 9:18 pm #

Love the colours incorporated in Amandla’ suit, but the pants look too big to me. Outside of that I like 2nd row and Mandy.

6. JHH December 6, 2018 at 9:10 pm #

I think I could Awkafina’s look if she would just stand up straight — her posture is atrocious. Danai’s dress loses some of its interest as presented but overall is a good look for her. I could wear Lena’s dress to work on a day when I have a meeting where I have to look like a corporate professional but it does nothing for her. Mandy looks good but I can’t tell if that little white strip is part of the dress or her underwear. If it is part of the dress, it makes no sense and if it is her shapewear, then it is a sloppy wardrobe malfunction. Christina’s suit makes her look like an older politician (I’m thinking Angela Merkel)– not the look I would go for at this event but hey, to each her own.

7. TeaAtTwo December 6, 2018 at 6:16 pm #

Up until the last row I like all the looks, though I would take up Viola’s pants two inches and I agree the runway fitting of the Poiret dress. I would be so happy to see Mindy Kaling repeat Yalitza’s look or any of the colourful outfits tbh. Mandy has on my favourite shoes.

8. meme December 6, 2018 at 6:13 pm #

Gugu Mbatha-Raw (despite the bag), Viola (even though the pants are too long) and Yalitza are the ones I like. Mandy’s shoes are great but I hate the dress. The last row is absolute awfulness.

9. Ksenia December 6, 2018 at 5:54 pm #

I love Yalitza’s look. I also like Amandla and Elsie’s looks.