Menu

22.09.17

Supermodels pay tribute to Gianni Versace

When I was told that Versace were going to do something special to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Gianni Versace’s death, I immediately booked a ticket to Milan because I wanted to be a part of the celebration.

If you don’t know the story already, Versace is the reason why I fell in love with fashion.

The show was highly emotional, with a voiceover reminding us why we fell in love with fashion, how Gianni changed the landscape of fashion, and why we still love and miss him 20 years on.

The Spring 2018 show paid a beautiful homage to his unparalleled work. I felt a huge sense of nostalgia. It took me back to my teenager years flicking through issues of Vogue and wishing to be part of that world one day.

I’ve been to countless shows, but this one felt different. You could feel something in the air; even the models had a more determined pattern to their stride.

All was revealed when the curtain dropped following the finale.

Cue goosebumps upon goosebumps as the REAL supermodels Carla Bruni, Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford and Helena Christensen strode forward with Donatella Versace to George Michael’s ‘Freedom’.

I won’t lie, I was fighting back the tears, others couldn’t, and I don’t blame them such was the heightened emotion of it all.

After speaking to some of the models who weren’t even born during Gianni’s era, they shared that there weren’t that many dry eyes backstage after the show.

If you didn’t see the show head to Versace.it.

It’s a 14 minute trip down memory lane, and a fitting celebration of a true fashion icon.

Credit: Getty

amfAR Milano 2017

amfAR Milano 2017

Front Row @ Versace Spring 2018

Front Row @ Versace Spring 2018

22 Responses to Supermodels pay tribute to Gianni Versace

1. The Very Simon G September 25, 2017 at 09:00 #

It looked absolutely EPIC, and I’m so jealous but so pleased you were there. What a piece of fashion history to attend!

• Catherine Kallon September 25, 2017 at 10:00 #

It really was. One of the best things I have ever witnessed.

2. Giada September 23, 2017 at 19:00 #

What a lovely tribute post. You can feel the love you have for Versace. I bet you were pinching yourself 😉 .

3. TeaAtTwo September 23, 2017 at 05:55 #

Omg they look like goddesses

4. Christine September 23, 2017 at 01:28 #

Beautiful Post!

5. Schoolbea September 22, 2017 at 23:24 #

Amazing. So glad you were there, Catherine. I’m enjoying reading about all your emotions, yours and the commenters. Fashion comes alive with you all. I was very young when Versace died, but not so much that I can’t look back on those years with a bit of nostalgia.

Really happy that you will be able to treasure a memory of attending this show.

6. CreoleLady September 22, 2017 at 21:50 #

Wow. May need to add a new category — best show of the year.

7. Saudin September 22, 2017 at 20:43 #

This is what fashion shows are all about! Although I missed seeing Christy Turlington and Linda Evangelista…. nevertheless, it was a goosebump moment

• Leandra September 22, 2017 at 21:02 #

Linda wouldn’t touch a catwalk… She was in the Australia Next Top Model and the contestants didn’t recognize her or knew who she was I was aghast…

• Saudin September 22, 2017 at 21:27 #

I guess they offered her less than $10,000 and she declined. Regarding to the ANTM, those girls were obviously, seriously stupid not to recognize an icon….

• Catherine Kallon September 22, 2017 at 21:37 #

Leandra, I’m very surprised they didn’t know who she was….disgusted in fact.

As I said above some of those girls weren’t even born when Gianni was alive, but they ALL knew who he was and the importance of the show.

To know your craft, you have to know your history.

• Leandra September 22, 2017 at 21:56 #

I was shocked !!! and disgusted as well. How can one dare to even wish to work in fashion not knowing about LINDA ? I remember back then we didnt even say her surname ! Only Linda and it was enough.
          I’m soooooo jealous that you were there Catherine. What a moment in fashion! Congrats girl. I really thought I was the only one crying.

8. Leandra September 22, 2017 at 20:30 #

You guys may think that Im exagerating but I cried a bit. I watched it live and was soooo emotional!!!!! I remembered my teens years desperately wanting to wear Versace and my mum telling me that “You only wear Versace if you want to show the wh*re inside you” WHILE she herself had 2 candy colour suits! Disfunctional family, you see… I was too young then and now I’m too old for this flashback in time. But the 90ies were so fantastic to me…
    My lord, the finalle… what a show ! Im still trying to process such a 90ies ressurrection in full blown. I can’t believe Donatela put those leggings and those jewelled boots on the catwalk again, and I loved it!! It was epic.

• Mimmi September 24, 2017 at 12:04 #

I think it is so sweet that you got emotional, so was I!

9. Caroline September 22, 2017 at 20:30 #

I would have cried if I had been there! FREAKING GOOSEBUMPS. Congrats Catherine, you deserve it.

10. Alina September 22, 2017 at 20:10 #

Happy that you had the opportunity to experience this live, Catherine. The photo alone gave me chills.

11. Jess September 22, 2017 at 20:10 #

glad you had a blast FC; fashion can be so silly and frivolous, but at the same time so special to us all for different reasons <3

12. mokka September 22, 2017 at 20:02 #

I’m watching the videos over and over again and I just can’t describe the feeling! I’m so happy that you get to experience it all in person, FC. And that iconic song! Donatella paid tribute to two legends today.

• Leandra September 22, 2017 at 20:32 #

me too!!! i watched at least 5 times now… I can’t believe they didnt cast Vlada… she has the best walk.

13. Thomas Monks September 22, 2017 at 19:55 #

I saw your InstaStory that you were going. The pang of jealousy hit. I watched the show live online and had goosebumps from the start to the end. The greatest hits made fresh again, the love letter to Gianni that Donatella penned for the soundtrack, the supermodels. I was watching the show and when the cast of models walked the finale and I hadn’t seen Naomi I was shocked. When the lights stayed down I knew I was going to cry and when the curtain was pulled and all the supers were revealed I lost it. This will go down as one of the best fashion shows in history! I am jealous and excited that you got to experience it live. You were, to quote Hamilton, “In the room where it happened.”

• Leandra September 22, 2017 at 20:42 #

We can expect those numbers in every single red carpet I think. Several of them. Can’t wait !!

14. AnderBoBo September 22, 2017 at 19:45 #

Wow what a beautiful tribute truly befitting such an icon! I am so glad you were able to attend FC!