Lupita Nyong’o In Givenchy – NAACP Image Awards 2014

Lupita Nyong'o In Givenchy - NAACP Image Awards 2014Lupita Nyong’o took home the Best Supporting Actress trophy at the NAACP Image Awards 2014, hosted Saturday (February 22) at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in California.

I always look forward to the ’12 Years a Slave’ star’s red-carpet entrances. Here, she looked to the Givenchy Pre-Fall 2014 collection for inspiration, donning a ruddy, burnt-orange gown with matching Givenchy sandals and a box clutch.

The plunging bodice with harness-like detail was a structured contrast to the multi-pleated, ankle-grazing skirt, which she supplemented with an H. Stern gold cuff and long gold statement earrings.

Working with the rich desert tones, which began with the dress, she completed the effect with metallic bronze eye shadow and a mahogany-red lip—even lacquering her nails in a similar rust shade.

I’m just not sure if I’m yet on board with her new, two-sided ’do, although I appreciate the freshness of the approach.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Olivia Munn In J.Mendel - 16th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

Olivia Munn In J.Mendel – 16th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

Crystal Reed In Naeem Khan - 16th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

Crystal Reed In Naeem Khan – 16th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

40 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Givenchy – NAACP Image Awards 2014

1. Ysatis February 23, 2014 at 15:47 #

I don’t know what he hair stylist is doing. I think the hair is ruining what would have been a lovely look. On Ellen she also had a weird hairdo.

2. Vibes February 23, 2014 at 15:47 #

Dislike the do – it looks comical!

3. Alina February 23, 2014 at 15:50 #

I love it! The dress is gorgeous on her, the accessories are perfect, the makeup is flawless as always and… I can’t believe I don’t mind the hairstyle.

4. gabis February 23, 2014 at 15:53 #

The dress is great but the styling is too matchy-matchy and the hair is so bad it brings the whole look down. Wonder what she was thinking…

5. pinksugar February 23, 2014 at 15:54 #

I have sadly been feeling some misses from Lupita of late. This look has to be one of my least favorites. I don’t care for the color, it’s too chesty and her hair is beyond distracting.

• Kate February 24, 2014 at 08:13 #

Me too.

It is almost like she is either trying too hard or her stylist is not trying hard enough.

What was organic in the beginning has become forced and it’s clear she is now being paid for everything she wears, which also makes her choices lose her appeal.

Sadly, I am going predict that her Oscar dress will be the worst yet, a total anti-climax. Surely Prada creation which will see her sink back into obscurity, because lets face it after awards season I doubt we will ever see her again.

• alex February 24, 2014 at 15:05 #

Kate, maybe you are too pessimistic. I think Lupita is going to blow all of us away on the Oscar Red Carpet. I would prefer to take this look as a signal of saving-the-best-for-the-last. We will see.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion blog) February 24, 2014 at 16:33 #

Same. So much prettier where the bodice and length hit on the model. For me, a rare Lupita miss. I cant wait to see her at the Oscar’s.

• Noemi February 24, 2014 at 09:41 #

I agree. Besides the fact that I’m not a fan of matchy-matchy outfits, the hair is quite ridiculous, but most of all the V neckline is not the most flattering on her, I think that a modified version would have been better.

6. Christine February 23, 2014 at 15:55 #

I like the dress but not liking the hair or the shoes.

7. Mm February 23, 2014 at 15:57 #

Don’t love the hair. Not a fan on the plunging v on lupita. But she catches my attention with every look. I check out every detail. She is so gorgeous

8. Charlotte February 23, 2014 at 16:21 #

I don’t like the matching shoes and the hair.
    Plus, the dress is not flaterring around her breast.

9. ysh87 February 23, 2014 at 16:45 #

I love this look because it’s so different. I was beginning to get a bit bored of her monochromatic awards show looks. I don’t even mind the hair. The only thing I don’t like are the earrings.

10. Amanda February 23, 2014 at 16:56 #

sorry but her hair look like mickey mouse ears

11. Prudence February 23, 2014 at 17:13 #

I love the look, I was hoping she would wear some Givenchy and this look works so well on her skin tone and mega lean body. Now I know she has short hair and it does not give her so many options but I would not care if she wore the same hairstyle every frigging day because that weird do’ is very distracting

12. Quinn February 23, 2014 at 17:20 #

The hairdo is very distracting I couldn’t appreciate everything else on her. I hope she’s not sticking with this do for long.

13. Lisa February 23, 2014 at 17:39 #

I like it, but don’t love it. I think the accessories are too matchy and I do not like her hair.

14. arang February 23, 2014 at 17:55 #

I actually find this an interesting look. Seems a bit fiercer than her usual and I like the color. Would’ve liked to see it in motion as well. The hair seems to fit the look, here.

15. Rebecca Z February 23, 2014 at 18:30 #

I love this. I can even take her hair–not my favorite I appreciate her need to change things up some.

16. Anja February 23, 2014 at 18:50 #

This is probably her worst look.

17. Megha February 23, 2014 at 19:07 #

To me this is her worst look to date so far because until now she hasn’t stepped a wrong foot
    Nothing works for me here
    This is the first time I think a color does not work for her. The plunge is not complementing her athletic shape. The makeup for the first time feels off. And well enough has been said about the hair – I don’t think there was a need to experiment there

18. michboa February 23, 2014 at 19:09 #

I really like this look. I like that she switches things up with hair and make-up.Monotony is for the birds; it looks like she’s having fun, and I love the colour against her skin.

19. Yeliz February 23, 2014 at 19:32 #

This has to be her worst look. Sadly, I don’t like anything about this.

20. Fiona-Brasil February 23, 2014 at 19:59 #

Oops!She did it again!Stunning Lupita.

21. Pedro February 23, 2014 at 20:13 #

Lupita looks terrible, for the first time! That’s sad…

The hair is terrible and the neckline makes her look so muscular

22. KC February 23, 2014 at 20:26 #

Hate this color on her! Also dislike the hairstyle.

23. ramsay February 23, 2014 at 21:39 #

This look has much in common with the Givenchy dress that Cate Blanchett wore about a month ago (in the shape, construction etc.) while I do prefer Cate’s version (that colour combination was very imaginative) I have to say this is also good – I don’t mind the hair – though I prefer her hair as she had it for most of last year, simple and with no volume

24. Nat39 February 23, 2014 at 22:25 #

The hairstyle is really awful, it’s the 1st thing that pops at you, plus this type of Gyvenchy dress is a deja vu, we’ve seen this cut already, and it’s not flattering for her frame. Not her best choice this time around.

25. naya February 23, 2014 at 22:26 #

thank god she made a bad red carpet appearance !i was starting to thinking she wasn’t human!! LOL! i am just looking forward her Oscar outfit, as i’m pretty sure she is gonna nail it!!

26. Fiona - Perth February 23, 2014 at 22:51 #

I am not a fan of this look, the colour doesn’t sit well with her and the plunging neckline does not work as perhaps she has lost weight or something but her bones are really visible and that is not the best look. Not keen on the hair but I don’t mind trying out new looks but it doesn’t save the dress for me.

27. Carla February 24, 2014 at 00:12 #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way she’s not only bringing short, natural, African hair to the red carpet but she’s styling it in creatively different ways –we haven’t really seen that since Cicely Tyson in the 1970s. It’s glorious, and she’s radiant.

• Cássia February 24, 2014 at 04:01 #

• Marina February 24, 2014 at 19:19 #

+ 2. It’s a bit odd but I really like it.

28. Freya February 24, 2014 at 01:15 #

I like the dress and don’t mind the styling but for some reason her skin looks oily in the pios…might just be the camera flash. Additionally, she is quite muscular and her sternum is quite prominent…maybe not the best cut for her.

29. andrianto February 24, 2014 at 02:53 #

Freshness REALLY?
    gurl…
    you all think lupita is the it golden girl so no fault in her.

the hair is a mess
    that hair look like sailor moon (goggle it)

30. olivia February 24, 2014 at 03:45 #

a bold choice to make change, but unfortunately, no

31. Markness February 24, 2014 at 07:13 #

I;m not a fan of the hair. But sadly I’m not a fan of the dress, either. This is a shocker for Lupita but I guess she has to take this risks in order to have a more diverse range of red carpet looks. But I don’t understand because on Imogen it looks good, maybe it’s the color and the fabric. Kim Kardashian and Joan Smalls did not look good in this style of dress either.

32. kane February 24, 2014 at 11:01 #

I fell in love with this at first sight, but again, hips. Hmmm. She looks so much leaner from the side. I still like this though and find it a tad more interesting and unconventional than Naomie’s look. The hair is baffling to me. It looks okay, but unnecessary.

33. dee February 24, 2014 at 13:38 #

The only thing I don’t like is the hairstyle but I love everything else.

34. Jai February 24, 2014 at 19:29 #

Can’t say I love the dress, although it is pretty fierce, but the hairstyle is awesome. I don’t get what’s NOT to like! Bravo!