Cate Blanchett In Givenchy Couture – ‘Blue Jasmine’ London Premiere

Cate Blanchett In Givenchy Couture - 'Blue Jasmine' London Premiere

Cate Blanchett attended the UK premiere of ‘Blue Jasmine’ held at the Odeon West End this evening in London.

As I hoped, the Australian actress did wear couture, selecting a look from Givenchy’s Fall 2012 collection, which was full of both drama and intrigue.

Her black cold-shoulder gown with a halter neckline, gold-embroidered details and cape back took a while to grow on me as my issue was – and still is – that it sits too low around the arms, rendering them useless.

But the gown is not supposed to be functional; it’s supposed to be a work of art, so on that basis you can’t help but be floored by it and admire how she manages to pull it off.

Credit: Style.com, FameFlynet & Getty

Britney Spears In Alexandre Vauthier Couture & Chagoury - Planet Hollywood Residency Announcement

Britney Spears In Alexandre Vauthier Couture & Chagoury – Planet Hollywood Residency Announcement

Maggie Gyllenhaal's Christian Louboutin 'Geo' Studded Suede Pumps

Maggie Gyllenhaal’s Christian Louboutin ‘Geo’ Studded Suede Pumps

66 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Givenchy Couture – ‘Blue Jasmine’ London Premiere

1. chryssa September 17, 2013 at 22:33 #

Fierceless as always!!!What a great woman-stunning!

2. Hailey September 17, 2013 at 22:39 #

Amazing! No one else could pull this off like her- or would even try.

• Christine September 18, 2013 at 11:53 #

Queen Cate! She looks so fierce. Love the back.

3. GGG September 17, 2013 at 22:50 #

All hail the Queen of Couture!

4. arabeszk September 17, 2013 at 22:52 #

Beautiful and perfectly evokes the drama of the movie which – as living in Hungary – I’ve already seen and highly recommend!

5. Jolene September 17, 2013 at 22:54 #

The personification of elegance. The epitome of class. DIVINE.

6. Mario September 17, 2013 at 22:58 #

My Best Dressed of the Year.

• Cascia September 20, 2013 at 14:57 #

7. Mery September 17, 2013 at 22:58 #

Apparently I am the only one not liking this look. Did she take it from the wardrobe department of LOTR? Ok, seriously, if, for instance, it was Sandra Bullock the one wearing this dress, you would be all saying the dress is awful.

• Fanny September 17, 2013 at 23:07 #

The thing is, it’s NOT Sandra Bullock wearing this dress. It’s Kate, and she owns it.

The dress is difficult and maybe a bit hard to like, but Kate brings out the best of it and makes you appreciate it, as per usual… I actually really like this dress. I think it’s cool and mysterious. But if it wasn’t Kate, I might have hated it.

• Gemma September 18, 2013 at 00:04 #

*Cate.

• Fanny September 18, 2013 at 11:37 #

Haha yes Cate, sorry… :)

8. Nat39 September 17, 2013 at 23:08 #

What I love about Cate is that she always gives us something interesting and unexpected. This look is dark, beautiful, dramatic. The gorgeous gold embroidery and original cape make it special and rather impressive. I do feel that Cate looks a bit uncomfortable, stiff and tense, as the cape seems to be restricting her arms. But it’s a gorgeous look, love it. Without a doubt, a BDOTW contender in my eyes.

• Nat39 September 17, 2013 at 23:28 #

…and I agree, this is something I can call a work of art.

9. CreoleLady September 17, 2013 at 23:15 #

The dress highlights pads of flesh under her arms where the dress sits too low — not flattering at all. It’s black, overwrought yet underwhelming. Not sure it even fits properly around the waist. Her hair, an uninspired flat-ironed job. I am extremely disappointed.

• SleeplessinChicago September 18, 2013 at 14:34 #

I have to agree – this is a completely underwhelming and ill fitted look. It sits way too low around the underarm area and is SO unflattering on both the runway model and Cate Blanchett. The attempted drama was lost on me here and looked comical. The too open back looked cheap, either. This is a miss.

• Moxie September 18, 2013 at 16:34 #

I agree about highlighting the flesh under her arms. That was the first thing I noticed.

If they fixed that and raised it up a tad, this would be an awesome look.

10. AnderBoBo September 17, 2013 at 23:18 #

This isn’t my favorite Givenchy Couture but I’d say she’s pulling it off as well as it could be. She’s had better looks though.

• Yeliz September 18, 2013 at 13:22 #

ITA. Only she is the one who could pull this off and she is doing it amazingly, but she had better looks. Still BDOTW worthy though.

11. Carolina September 17, 2013 at 23:55 #

The problem to me with Cate is that sometimes (most of the times actually), she just tries to hard…
    most of her looks while promoting BJ have been quite disappointing! This one is not as exeption

• Jolene September 18, 2013 at 09:36 #

Sorry,with all respects, but I dont think she is trying anything at all. She is just being herself. Glorious, exuding confidence and elegance.

• kookee September 18, 2013 at 13:15 #

disagreed – not trying at all. she makes it look effortless though not my favourite. it’s not an everyday dress because it’s a PREMIERE dress (aka for grand openings)- and as already said, it’s a work of art.

• Kathy September 19, 2013 at 02:49 #

Really? I would say the exact opposite…Cate is the picture of effortless sophistication. She is so elegant in her demeanor, which naturally makes what she wears elegant as well. Her outfits always grab your attention, but not in a way that feels like she’s wearing them for a reaction. They’re works of art, because they are so bold and varied.

12. Anj September 18, 2013 at 00:07 #

I’m blown away by this look but at the same time, I just want to pull up the top part since it’s resting so low on the arms. It looks more flowy on the model, but more oppressive/constricting on Cate.
    I’m still amazed by her in this but I can’t ignore this fault as well.

• Katrin September 18, 2013 at 00:40 #

I agree

• KatieKate September 18, 2013 at 02:34 #

+2, yes, I would have to say you hit this nail on the head for me. She looks gorgeous, but there are some underlying issues which keep me from loving it 100%.

• kane September 18, 2013 at 07:56 #

My thoughts exactly. Blown away at first sight, but on closer inspection the restrictions around the arms are really bothering me. The model wears it better in that respect. Shame, I thought I was going to really love this one! It has been a little while now with Cate.

• Anissa September 18, 2013 at 14:49 #

Yes if you look the angle the fabric slants down on the model is much steeper so it looks like it’s skimming down her arm, but on Cate it’s more horizontal like it’s caught, and that ruins the drama of it. I also wonder why the cape length is so much shorter on her dress as that also adds to the not as elegant issue.

• Noemi September 19, 2013 at 20:20 #

I agree with you.

13. Fiona - Perth September 18, 2013 at 00:28 #

I think Cate is perfectly aware that she has a total image to live up to and no ordinary dress is ever enough now for big occasions. She picks gowns that make a statement and she more than carries it off, never letting the dress wear her. I love her drama and regal bearing, she is beautiful.

• SleeplessinChicago September 18, 2013 at 14:36 #

The drama was overblown to a completely comical final effect.

14. Katrin September 18, 2013 at 00:39 #

I do love it, but I want to love it more. I just wish the hair was in a tight ponytail or a bun.

• KatieKate September 18, 2013 at 02:36 #

Yes, beside the issues with the fit of the dress, I agree that her hair being up or at least back would have helped tremendously.

15. amanda September 18, 2013 at 00:47 #

I don’t see the hype over her style.

• dressaddict September 18, 2013 at 07:05 #

Her last outfits made me reconsider that too.

16. Parvati September 18, 2013 at 00:51 #

Amazing! She is a BDOTW-contender for me!!!

17. Marybeth September 18, 2013 at 01:04 #

I much prefer this on the model, where the cape flows nicely in a triangle from the base of the neck. It doesn’t work as well on Cate, where it sits lower and splays out.

Also, I think Cate should have worn her hair up so that everything is not pulling downward, so to speak. I particularly dislike the hair in that back shot.

Still, it’s an interesting dress and well worth the try.

• Zissou September 18, 2013 at 11:55 #

The lack of the triangle kills this for me: the shape just isn’t flattering on her.

• SleeplessinChicago September 18, 2013 at 14:41 #

Notice that the model wore the mask. Maybe cate should have done the same to create a batwoman effect.

18. EmmaWoodhouse September 18, 2013 at 02:34 #

Statuesque. She’s pulling off a difficult dress with such inimitable elegance. There’s an inscrutability about her, a sort of Mona Lisa beauty, that makes everything she wears seem to have a story behind it, and that works perfectly with the updated glamour (the cold-shoulder and rich embroidery makes me think early ’30s vampy glam)of this looks. Hail to the Queen!

• KatieKate September 18, 2013 at 02:37 #

I love your description of this look, and of Cate!

19. dee September 18, 2013 at 02:39 #

This is awful, awful, awful. It looks like her arms are glued to her sides and this dress looks awkward to wear. I applaud Cate for taking risks and wearing unusual things but they need to be flattering as well. This is not. So far I have been disappointed in this promo tour.

• Denise September 18, 2013 at 07:09 #

I agree. Although she is fearless and obviously loves fashion, why does she have to stand with her arms glued to her torso to prove it ?If this dress was somehow modified at least to help the wearer move her arms, it would have been much better.

• Valerie September 18, 2013 at 12:12 #

+ 1. I have loved a lot of her looks, but not this one. Not being able to move your arms or scratch your head is just ridiculous. Fashion forward or not.

• SleeplessinChicago September 18, 2013 at 14:37 #

I agree. Too much drama paired with this underwhelming dress looked unintentially comical.

20. jas September 18, 2013 at 08:02 #

in my eyes, cate can do no wrong. the way she carries herself means she can wear just about anything and still look all class.

21. Alina September 18, 2013 at 08:19 #

I like it better on the model.

22. mrs. a September 18, 2013 at 09:11 #

Not cute. That is all.

23. Joy September 18, 2013 at 11:11 #

I don’t generally ride the Cate bandwagon. This is no exception, I strongly dislike this gown. I can’t get past the armpit area and how low it sits. It looks so unattractive & unflattering, yes even on Cate. The beading is beautiful that’s the only positive side for me. Why does she have to try to one up fashion continually? Just too weird for my liking.

• SleeplessinChicago September 18, 2013 at 14:44 #

It looks that she is just trying too hard. She is taking herself way to seriously and this overblown costumy dress creates a comedic batwoman effect. Very funny, indeed.

24. Linda September 18, 2013 at 13:41 #

Ah, if only the cape were pulled up by two inches, to sit just nicely below the shoulder to allow for a much more fluid line.

25. msd September 18, 2013 at 13:51 #

I’m reminded of when she wore that crochet blanket dress a few years back (Cate Blanket!) I read later that she specifically requested it from the designers. She knows what she’s doing here – she’s playing with fashion – and it makes me smile.

• SleeplessinChicago September 18, 2013 at 14:40 #

I agree that this is all play and the dress here is more of a costume than an attire. She missed a point – it is not a theater stage and her look is comical. Maybe life to here is one big stage – but than she needs to be a subtler actress to pull it off. Give the audience a little more credit, do not insult our intelligence.

• msd September 18, 2013 at 15:14 #

Wow, you sound quite offended. I don’t think she’s trying to insult anyone’s intelligence. She’s experimenting and playing. The red carpet is a stage, really.

• KatieKate September 19, 2013 at 02:56 #

No kidding, we get it, you don’t like it, but it needn’t offend you. Out of your SIX comments, you used the word ‘comical’ or ‘comedic’ in FIVE of them. That’s actually what I find funny.

26. manja September 18, 2013 at 14:24 #

I am torn,on one hand I like it as she looks beautiful,and on the other hand she does look restricted,which is a bit distracting and strange.but still she carries her self with poise and grace

27. amanda September 18, 2013 at 15:11 #

AMAZING…ALL HAIL THE QUEEN!!

28. amy September 18, 2013 at 15:39 #

it’s fine. much better than her last looks but still not perfect. The dress is so low it shows her armpits: not cute

29. Tiger Nueng September 18, 2013 at 16:27 #

Only cate can pull this look, I don’t like the dressed but Cate look really good on it ☆

30. Sally September 18, 2013 at 16:57 #

The dress appears to have taken a hostage.

31. Prudence September 18, 2013 at 17:02 #

I truly want to love this because it has all the makings of a spectacular RC moment but there are a few details I simply cannot get past, mainly the way the cape sits on her. It looks awkward and constricting. I do wish she would just take it down a notch and give us something that isn’t so editorial and hard to pull off. I respect that she takes risks but lately none of them have paid off.

32. Glenda September 18, 2013 at 18:32 #

Here’s hoping Blue Jasmine will still be on people’s minds during awards season… Because, my God, she’ll blow everyone else out of the water without batting an eyelid and it’ll be a sight to behold. Stunning, as usual.

33. Pedro September 18, 2013 at 20:45 #

Queen Cate looks perfect, again!

Love love love

34. gabis September 19, 2013 at 00:28 #

I think the model wears it better. The cold-shoulder detail flows beautifully on the model whilst it looks too tight around Cate’s arms. Ill-fitting detail aside she looks gorgeous. The dress is divine and I absolutely love how her eye makeup complements the gold-embroidered details.

35. Giras September 20, 2013 at 05:43 #

I’m totally in minority when it comes to Blanchett’s looks because the ones where people crazy about (that pinky jellyfish dress for example) are mostly the ones where I just don’t get it. This is another example. But I always adore her boldness and appreciation toward art and fashion tho. :)

36. Minah September 20, 2013 at 22:14 #

BDOTY-worthy for me. What an stunning look and she carries it wiht such grace. Love it!