19.06.13

Katy Perry For Vogue US July 2013

Katy Perry for Vogue US July 2013

Katy Perry looks beautiful gracing her first ever cover for American Vogue – shot by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz – wearing a Rodarte Fall 2013 floral dress.

The 28-year-old singer can be seen in a slew of beautiful looks, including a remarkable red lace Valentino Haute Couture gown (you may remember Adele wore the short version to the Grammys), a floral Dolce & Gabbana gown, a red satin Zac Posen strapless gown, a black-and-red Prada look, plus a Michael Kors floral bustier and ball skirt.

Throughout her shoot, the one thing that remains constant is her Revlon red lip colour, a trend we’ve seen on the red carpet.

In her interview Katy talks about making music, Russell Brand and John Mayer.

On making music: “When I am in between records, sometimes I doubt myself. I’ll be like: Did I just get lucky, or did I mass-manipulate the world into thinking that seven songs were worth a number-one position? And then I go back into the studio and I start writing, and the true essential oil of who I am comes bubbling back up and reminds me that it’s always been inside of me, that nobody can take this away no matter what comment anyone makes. It’s going to be there because it’s what I was born with and it’s what I’ve worked on my whole life.”

On Russell Brand: “He’s a very smart man, and I was in love with him when I married him. Let’s just say I haven’t heard from him since he texted me saying he was divorcing me December 31, 2011. At first when I met him he wanted an equal, and I think a lot of times strong men do want an equal, but then they get that equal and they’re like, I can’t handle the equalness. He didn’t like the atmosphere of me being the boss on tour. So that was really hurtful, and it was very controlling, which was upsetting.”
On what caused their breakup: “I felt a lot of responsibility for it ending, but then I found out the real truth, which I can’t necessarily disclose because I keep it locked in my safe for a rainy day. I let go and I was like: This isn’t because of me; this is beyond me. So I have moved on from that.”

On her on-again, off-again relationship with John Mayer: “I was madly in love with him. I still am madly in love with him. […] Beautiful mind, tortured soul.”

Credit: Annie Leibovitz for Vogue

Kristen Wiig In Prabal Gurung - 'Imogene' Paris Premiere

Kristen Wiig In Prabal Gurung – ‘Imogene’ Paris Premiere

Net-A-Porter International End of Season Sale Is Now On

Net-A-Porter International End of Season Sale Is Now On

18 Responses to Katy Perry For Vogue US July 2013

1. Yeliz June 19, 2013 at 18:22 #

It’s an interesting editorial. I love all the gowns she wore, but my favourite is the stunning Valentino gown.

2. Pedro June 19, 2013 at 18:27 #

She looks FLAWLESS!

I love the Valentino dress

3. dee June 19, 2013 at 19:49 #

My favorite shot is the last one.

4. JJovana3 June 19, 2013 at 20:03 #

Russell Brand dumped her over text message on New Years day????

Classy guy. Ugh.

5. Godiva June 19, 2013 at 20:20 #

Did anyone else laugh why she described Jon Meyer as a “beautiful mind, tortured soul” <– that sounds like a classic excuse that is used when guys try to cover up the fact that they are behaving poorly.

6. Christine June 19, 2013 at 20:22 #

I like the editorial just not the cover.

7. MaddyEliza June 19, 2013 at 20:36 #

What a magnificent shoot. I love every piece she is wearing.

8. Sharon June 19, 2013 at 20:57 #

I have always liked Katy and really enjoyed seeing these photos of her. She really is a beautiful young woman. Russell Brand is such a jerk.

9. kane June 19, 2013 at 21:56 #

I love the coverered in roses-effect on the cover and especially the last two dresses. Interesting to see the print in the first picture on a different kind of dress than the Dior inspired one.

10. Aparajita June 19, 2013 at 22:41 #

I wish fashion magazines would put models on covers more than celebrities.

• Cookie June 20, 2013 at 00:03 #

I just get a little annoyed that people like Julianne Moore and Tilda Swinton have never been on the cover of Vogue while Rihanna and Kate Upton have. US Vogue is becoming a little too immature for my taste. Katy Perry is wonderful but she lacks the poise and refinement of an ideal Vogue woman.

• Kathy June 20, 2013 at 03:22 #

Maybe not Tilda or Julianne in particular, but Vogue has given Nicole Kidman and Meryl Streep covers, so I think the magazine maintains a fair balance of young juggernauts and seasoned legends.

• Prudence June 20, 2013 at 03:53 #

I think celebs should be ban from them period. I mean its not like they even sell magazines? Rihanna’s last cover bombed and even beyonce the great has had some terrible selling covers. At the end of the day the people buying these magazines do not want Katy Perries on the cover, we want models. I have completely ceased to buy vogue magazines because of the recent cover girls who simply did not deserve it.

• Kathy June 21, 2013 at 00:08 #

Actually, celebrities are some of the best-selling magazine covergirls because of their overwhelming presence in pop culture. The Jennifer Anistons of the world are just bigger household names than the Karlie Klosses or the Arizona Muses, and that’s the truth. Of course, I wouldn’t mind seeing more models on covers but the format of fashion magazines has evolved so that the covers come with interviews/articles which appeal to the public’s interest. It just makes more sense business-wise.

Also, just because some people might want models on the covers doesn’t mean they’re going to make the decision of whether to buy the issue based off of who is on the cover. It’s kind of a win-win situation…people who pay a lot of attention to celebrities are satisfied, while people who couldn’t care less which celebrity is on the cover just ignore that aspect and don’t suffer a loss.

11. KatieKate June 19, 2013 at 23:43 #

I love her. I love this interview and editorial. Kudos to her for being so open and honest. I hope she finds a good, real man. The Zac Posen shot s stunning!!!

12. Kathy June 20, 2013 at 03:25 #

This spread is typical Annie Leibovitz…which is not to say that it’s not spectacular. I love the slightly offbeat fairy tale feel, with the gorgeous gowns against a sort of rustic and old-timey backdrop.

13. EmmaWoodhouse July 2, 2013 at 20:04 #

I love a lot of the gowns, and am sorry about her breakup (not that I like Russell Brand, ugh!) but it’s sad!
    The cover is my least favorite shot, actually. Nice setting.

14. Dionne Owens August 30, 2013 at 04:02 #

The “Zac Posen” dresses are absolutely stunning. I would LOVE to be a photographer for great designers, such as Zac. Dreaming! – Beautiful props and poses with Katy Perry. Nice work!