15.04.13

Coachella 2013

Coachella 1

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which kicked off this past weekend, is always a hotbed of eclectic, look-at-that ensembles, as the fest flaunts an anything-goes attitude that many stars are plenty keen to adopt. Cutoffs, crop tops and crochet all come out of the closet, and it’s the one time where even the most reprehensible faux-pas can get a free pass on the fairground—even if they shouldn’t.

Kristen Stewart: The most memorable part of this Kristen sighting was that she was arm-in-arm with her on-and-off boyfriend, Robert Pattinson. Her T-shirt, too-short shorts and Converse kicks were a complete yawn and paled in comparison to Coachella’s other cool and crazy looks. Of course, she would probably say she’s just there for the music not the photo op.

Solange Knowles: The singer continued her love affair with colour and print in this bubblegum-pink Hawaiian floral skirt and melon-orange CC Skye box clutch. Here, though, her go-to style didn’t work so well. The slit was too high, and her white Stuart Weitzman sandals were far too mumsy. She just looked uncomfortable.

Bella Thorne: The up-and-coming starlet really was the flower-child of the fest with her tiara of blooms worn atop her long auburn strands. At only 15, she can get away with shredded denim, a mesh shirt and sneakers, and still look charming.

Coachella 2

Vanessa Hudgens: Wearing white bloomers and little more than a lace doily on top, the ‘Spring Breakers’ actress gave us one of the most shocking looks of the weekend. With her long curly locks, she had more hair than clothes. I have to admit, with her round retro sunnies and medieval flower circlet, I didn’t even remotely recognize her.

Rita Ora: After her Jeremy Scott proclamation, the ‘How We Do’ singer had another raucous fashion exit up her sleeve. She donned a zipper jacket worn over a sheer, rolled-up T-shirt and a fuchsia triangle bra. A collar necklace and backwards baseball cap added some hip-hop cred, while her portrait skirt assured she always had a set of eyes on her—not that she needed any help in that department.

Alessandra Ambrosio: Earlier, she pranced around in tie-dye and pink shorts, but here the model returned to more neutral territory, as she made the best of boho with her long fringed caftan sweater, studded boots, Giuseppe Zanotti fringed bag and floppy hat.

Coachella 3

Kelly Rowland: The singer hit a bit of a bum note with this Harley-Davidson-diva look. Who ever said Coachella was key word for camo shorts and a leather motorcycle vest?

Emma Roberts: While the actress’s black shorts weren’t nearly as minuscule as some others we’ve seen, I still cannot give her many style points. That T-shirt knot should have never emerged from the ’90s, and we should send those cutesy heart-shaped sunglasses and that rainbow purse back in time, too.

Rumer Willis: Like Kristen, Rumer’s ensemble put me to sleep, although she checked the boxes of basic Coachella style: high-waisted denim, a see-through shirt, bold sunglasses and a cross-body bag.

Credit: FameFlynet

Elanne Kwong In Elie Saab - 2013 Hong Kong Film Awards

Elanne Kwong In Elie Saab – 2013 Hong Kong Film Awards

Eddie Redmayne In AllSaints - 2013 MTV Movie Awards

Eddie Redmayne In AllSaints – 2013 MTV Movie Awards

30 Responses to Coachella 2013

1. Kathy April 15, 2013 at 18:27 #

Ouch @ that Kristen Stewart description. I’m no fan of hers, but Coachella isn’t a red carpet event. Why the need to criticize people for not going all-out? Her outfit, as well as Kelly’s and Emma’s, may not be imaginative, but at least they all look comfortable and confident.

2. Yeliz April 15, 2013 at 18:41 #

Rumer is my favourite. Vanessa and Rita are the worst of the bunch.

Kristen didn’t looked that bad, it’s her normal style and you can’t blame her for wearing something she feels comfortable in for a music festival. I liked her previous look more though. She wore a skirt, which I loved.

• Mandy April 16, 2013 at 00:25 #

Vanessa look is the worst here but it’s a musical festival and although some celebrities dress up it isn’t a fashion event. Do you mean Kristen’s Jonathan Simkahai skirt? I loved that one.

• Yeliz April 17, 2013 at 22:06 #

Yes, that’s the skirt I meant. I loved it too.

3. sara April 15, 2013 at 18:45 #

vanessa has an amazing body and legs and that the only good thing i can say about her her .
    everybody looks soooo bad

• Lia April 16, 2013 at 19:06 #

same

4. Nat39 April 15, 2013 at 18:48 #

This is bad, Solange is still the best of the bunch regardless, although her look does feel very uncomfortable for the event. For the fun, youthfulness, age and event-appropriateness I choose Bella Thorne who looks cute and comfy.

5. Rafael April 15, 2013 at 18:49 #

Solange total Coachella girl, love her!

6. Jai April 15, 2013 at 18:50 #

Lol, I love your descriptions; you sound so unimpressed with everybody. I agree about Solange, the outfit totally doesn’t work and seems completely out of sync with the event.

I find this festival hilarious – it seems a chance for Hollywood starlets to ‘go grunge’ without having to leave the comfort of their million dollar postcodes.

7. Carina April 15, 2013 at 18:51 #

This is a music festival, not a movie premiere. Why criticize Kristen for wearing something she feels comfortable in? She’s there to enjoy the festival, not to do self promotion.

8. Bernadette April 15, 2013 at 18:52 #

Come on, give kristen a break.
    I’m a regular festival-goer and I think her style is just right for a festival. I can’t understand why a festival has to be a fashion show!
    All the girls are just crazy in heels (or not there for the music) because standing for hours at the same place with heels is masochistic. So I would choose Kristen’s converse and her shorts over some fancy designer clothes

• Lex April 16, 2013 at 11:12 #

Totally agree! Looking comfortable is the best look.

• JJ April 16, 2013 at 13:23 #

Those short-shorts looked the opposite of comfy.

9. rafael April 15, 2013 at 19:26 #

NO RIHANNA IN CRACK POST? COME ON!!

10. TeaAtTwo April 15, 2013 at 19:37 #

I appreciate that Solange was bit more creative but I don’t like the super high slit on the otherwise fun skirt. Bella’s is the only other look I really care for here.

11. Moxie April 15, 2013 at 19:42 #

You can be comfortable and still be interesting to see. There are plenty of ways to dress up a t-shirt and shorts and still be comfortable, especially when you know photogs are going to be around.

12. Kaiva April 15, 2013 at 19:42 #

Ou my, what is Vanessa wearing! That should not be an outfit to go anywhere else than to bed.
    And while Kirsten style isn’t very exciting I think everybody should just accept that she’s not that insto style and she’s not the one who cares for jumping out of crowd.
    But why is Solange wearing cocktail dress and heels? I love her style as it is bright and colorful, but this was no time of place for cocktail dress and heels. Looks super uncomfortable.

I liked best Alessandra. She looks different from others, but without trying too hard. And looks like she can actually enjoy festiva; in that outfit.

13. dee April 15, 2013 at 19:54 #

Solange looks the best eventhough her slit is too high. Everyone else’s looks are just meh.

14. irina April 15, 2013 at 21:05 #

Your funny comments are the best thing in this post LOL!

15. Nadine April 15, 2013 at 22:28 #

Is it safe to say this is what stars look like without stylists? I feel better about myself now!

16. G April 15, 2013 at 23:47 #

Yawn
    very uninspiring
    where are Kate Bostworth and Diane Kruger? We need more flair here.

17. Sarah April 16, 2013 at 00:48 #

This just shows people when they don’t have a stylist. Maybe we’re just like them in their natural habitat..

• JJ April 16, 2013 at 13:23 #

I know. And it’s scary. lol

18. Christine April 16, 2013 at 02:01 #

No to all looks.

19. ariadne April 16, 2013 at 03:16 #

Agree with CK here especially with the KStew part. “She would probably say she’s just there for the music not the photo op.” is always her excuse.

• Susan April 16, 2013 at 22:15 #

But she is there for the music.

20. Denise April 16, 2013 at 07:31 #

I only like Bella Thorne’s look. I think the worst look is Solange’s. Where did she think she was going???? As long as all the others feel confortable I don’t mind how they look.

21. JJ April 16, 2013 at 13:22 #

Vanessa wore her pajamas to the event and can Kristen’s shorts get any shorter? I like Kelly’s look best.

22. EmmaWoodhouse April 16, 2013 at 14:11 #

If Bella had worn real shorts, her look would have been cute (does she have an ankle tattoo, though? :O) The rest are horrific.

23. justme April 17, 2013 at 17:28 #

-sigh- Vanessa started this Coachella so well. She wore a lovely floral Blu Moon dress that I must buy.

But I see that she’s back to her old OTT ways. This is a mess.