Menu

April 30, 2020

Tracee Ellis Ross’ Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

Tracee Ellis Ross in  Comme des Garçons - 2017 'Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between'

Tracee Ellis Ross is fashion force to be reckoned with, and has really flourished with her partnership with LA-based stylish Karla Welch who was/is declared as one of the “Most Powerful” stylists by both The Hollywood Reporter and The New York Times.

The ‘Black-ish’ actress’ style can be polarizing at times, as she loves to take risks which not everyone can get on board with.

Or, if you’re like me, you’ll find this part of her style very refreshing.

Here are my 10 favourite looks from Tracee Ellis Ross, who we (I) hail as one of the most directional dressers on the red carpet.

1. Tracee Ellis Ross in Comme des Garçons – 2017 ‘Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between’

As I frequently say, the Met Gala can be one of the most frustrating nights on the fashion calendar.

Tracee wore a Comme des Garçons cobalt-blue quadruple axle of an avant-garde creation that may appear off-centered to most, but to us fashion lovers it was on brand and on theme.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Chanel Haute Couture – 2017 Emmy Awards

2. Tracee Ellis Ross In Chanel Haute Couture – 2017 Emmy Awards

The Emmys take place in September, so it is a nice warm-up to Awards Season which follows shortly afterwards.

Some felt this Chanel Haute Couture dress was too much of everything – feathers, sequins, balloon sleeves – but I’m was so drawn to the majesty of it all.  It was a show stopper, as she dared to do the most when some like to play it safe.

Tracee Ellis Ross in Agnes B & Celine - Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic

3. Tracee Ellis Ross in Agnes B & Celine – Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic

I’m still so charmed by this look which was oozing with plenty of personality.

The dress code for this event tends to be floral dresses, which for someone like Tracee would be considered “the safe option,” so I love how stood out from the crowd, and selected the right accessories for this event, namely the flats, when so many opt to wear heels on grass.

You only make that mistake once – speaking from experience.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Marc Jacobs – 2018 Golden Globe Awards

4. Tracee Ellis Ross In Marc Jacobs – 2018 Golden Globe Awards

Celebrities wore black to the 2018 Golden Globe Awards to protest sexual harassment and raise awareness for Time’s Up, a initiative fighting sexual misconduct in Hollywood and beyond.

It was a night were the mood was quite sombre, but Tracee proved you can be elegant and badass wearing this Marc Jacobs Spring 2018 look.

Some felt the dress was too boring, which it could’ve been the case had she not completed the look with the matching turban which was shown on the runway.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Ralph & Russo Couture – 2018 SAG Awards

5. Tracee Ellis Ross In Ralph & Russo Couture – 2018 SAG Awards

I know that some would’ve expected to be a list of Tracee’s most OTT red carpet looks, but I do appreciate her graceful looks as much as anything.

We all look forward to seeing her during awards season, and this sequined Ralph & Russo Couture gown didn’t disappoint.

I adore the elegance of the design, which incorporated plenty of modernity with the half-cut caped sleeve.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Narciso Rodriguez – 2018 NAACP Image Awards

6. Tracee Ellis Ross In Narciso Rodriguez – 2018 NAACP Image Awards

Tracee is a sexy woman, and her sexiest red carpet moment came at the 2018 NAACP Image Awards wearing Narciso Rodriguez.

Minimal in its design, the sequins lit up the red carpet, however some of you weren’t as enchanted by this look as I was.  With some preferring this look with her tawny furry jacket.

Tracee Ellie Ross in Michael Kors Collection - 2018 Met Gala

7. Tracee Ellie Ross in Michael Kors Collection – 2018 Met Gala

I adore this pure glamour moment in Michael Kors Collection, which I can imagine Tracee had played a thousand times in her mother’s closet.

It was a pure Diana Ross moment, and I was living for it.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Valentino Haute Couture – 2018 Emmy Awards

8. Tracee Ellis Ross In Valentino Haute Couture – 2018 Emmy Awards

Honestly, I’m still shocked that so many you disliked this Valentino Haute Couture moment.   It was, and still is giving me so much life as it is larger than life.

Bold, dramatic, energizing.  It was the ‘go big or go home’ moment of this event.

We often want something other than a princess gown at this event, and Tracee listened…ya’ll just weren’t ready.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Giambattista Valli Haute Couture – 2018 InStyle Awards

9. Tracee Ellis Ross In Giambattista Valli Haute Couture – 2018 InStyle Awards

This Giambattista Valli Haute Couture gown was/is the living embodiment of joie de vivre.

Tracee Ellis Ross In Marc Jacobs – 2019 NAACP Image Awards

10. Tracee Ellis Ross In Marc Jacobs – 2019 NAACP Image Awards

This is the Tracee Ellis Ross I know and love.

Her Marc Jacobs Fall 2020 dress packed a mighty punch – and not just because of the sheer volume of it, but also for the polka dots.

Credit: Getty

NY & Company Celebrate Mother's Day With Gabrielle Union, Eva Mendes & Kate Hudson

NY & Company Celebrate Mother’s Day With Gabrielle Union, Eva Mendes & Kate Hudson

Margot Robbie's Jacquemus La Robe Manosque Maxi Dress

Margot Robbie’s Jacquemus La Robe Manosque Maxi Dress

17 Responses to Tracee Ellis Ross’ Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

1. M May 3, 2020 at 1:28 pm #

I think you picked her best looks.

The pink Valentino, the CdG and both Marc Jacobs in particular were memorable. And she never looks overwhelmed.

2. Kate May 2, 2020 at 9:45 pm #

One of my favorites from Tracee is from this year’s Vanity Fair Oscars Party. She just about slayed me in Zuhair Murad Couture… so gorgeous!

3. Samuel May 2, 2020 at 12:21 pm #

I don’t really get her…always screams of try hard. Nothing is ever that flattering

4. Hisadora May 1, 2020 at 10:54 pm #

I adore them all….. but the pink ones take my heart

5. Chris May 1, 2020 at 11:30 am #

Both Marc Jacobs looks and the Valentino at the Emmys are my favorites. So good!

• Chris May 1, 2020 at 1:28 pm #

And the iconc Comme des Garcons Met Gala moment of course…

6. Sandra ricard April 30, 2020 at 10:42 pm #

Tracy ellis Ross is classic smart beautiful that is a shame she is not getting more offer for work when is Hollywood going to relize black girls a on the top off there game we have bodies to die for and we never have to buy our back side

7. phee April 30, 2020 at 9:47 pm #

I find there is always something a bit off. Ive never taken to her like others have.

I do appreciate very much that she went with the Met Gala theme. Nothing more I despise than celebs who dont go on theme.

Overall, I do much prefer her simple looks rather than her ott try-hard looks.

8. TeaAtTwo April 30, 2020 at 7:59 pm #

The Comme des Garçons – I would love that worn again, the Ralph and Russo – though I would have preferred silver sandals with it, the Valentino Haute Couture, and the Giambattista Valli Haute Couture are my favourites. Also, love the Versace dress and Marc Jacobs coat look that she wore to her mom’s 75th birthday party but I don’t know if that had a red carpet so doesn’t qualify for this.

9. CN April 30, 2020 at 5:45 pm #

If there is one look that I wish were included, it would be that green suit with the snake belt. I thought I looked amazing—tailored to perfecion and that kelly green hue just blew me away.

10. CN April 30, 2020 at 5:36 pm #

She’s got an incredible sense of style. She gives us variety: edgy, whimsy, drama, sometimes minimal, even sexy. There are no limits to what she’s willing to try—and more often than not she looks incredible in whatever she chooses to wear. She has fun with fashion, and it shows.

11. Clancy from Dallas April 30, 2020 at 5:03 pm #

ugh, the pure joy that she radiated at the 2018 Emmys was just so amazing!

12. Jess April 30, 2020 at 2:10 pm #

Eternal love for this woman’s style. You can tell she loves fashion and her priority isn’t creating a ‘flattering‘ look or turning herself into a sex object, but it’s about creating something visually interesting and having fun. She dresses to please herself not others.

13. Nat39 April 30, 2020 at 1:57 pm #

Whether it’s often unflattering harsh makeup and severe hair or lack of refined posing skills, can’t say I’m a big fan, sorry, can’t really choose a fave. Her colorful Christopher Kane at The Late Show with James Corden was fun and full of flair, and I have to say she pulled it off much better than the model with the equally vibrant pumps and natural hairstyle.

14. Sharon M April 30, 2020 at 12:02 pm #

I do think sometimes Tracee is over the top and she wears things that are not flattering just for the effect. But, I think you chose the best looks…except for the Chanel. My favorite is the 2018 NAACP Awards…she looked gorgeous!

15. Martijn April 30, 2020 at 11:19 am #

The MET gala look is an all time favourite! The colour, the cut and how she styled it! But in general I like her style, she’s bold and always seems to be having a blast and what a charisma she has!.

16. Catarina_M April 30, 2020 at 10:47 am #

For me the Agnes B & Celine for the Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic, beats them all and the Sag Awards, Ralph & Russo for second best.