Menu

January 13, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

2020 Critics Choice Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Posted by Catherine Kallon
2020 Critics Choice Awards

There were many more ladies who joined the likes of Jennifer Lopez and Lupita Nyong’o on the red carpet for the 2020 Critics’ Choice Awards, which was held at the Barker Hangar on Sunday (January 12) in Santa Monica, California.

Laura Dern:  Part of the citrus trending trio, the actress kept thing simple in style, and bright in colour wearing Emilia Wickstead Spring 2020 with Messika Paris jewels.

Alison Brie:  Brandon Maxwell has always been considered at the sleek modern choice, and I see no reason to refute that upon seeing Alison in this Pre-Fall 2020 column dress styled with Ana Khouri jewels.

Rachel Brosnahan: The actress wore a custom marigold v-neck embroidered dress with silver bow belt from the Carolina Herrera Pre Fall 2020 collection.  I have an issue with the skirt.  I really wish the construction had been a lot sharper for a smoother finish. Jimmy Choo’s classic ‘Minny’ sandals and Fernando Jorge jewels completed her look.

Emilia Wickstead Spring 2020
Brandon Maxwell Pre-Fall 2020

Florence Pugh: Embellished dresses were also trending at the Critics’ Choice Awards, with the ‘Little Women’ actress wearing what can only be described as a signature Prada red carpet dress.  I can only imagine how heavy this piece was, but it was definitely worth the effort, as I would say this was a personal best for Florence.  I love how the look nips her in at the waist, and was styled with complement accessories – Jimmy Choo ‘Talika’ pumps and jewels from Messika Paris and Maria Tash.

Mj Rodriguez:  The actress was channeling her inner Diana Ross wearing silver Moschino gown with Giuseppe Zanotti sandals.

Annabelle Wallis:  The British actress also wearing a cold-shoulder gown from Moschino’s Pre-Fall 2020 collection, but hers was a lot let sheer. Giuseppe Zanotti sandals was also her footwear of choice.

Moschino Pre-Fall 2020

Kristen Bell:  We’ve become accustom to a certain style from Kristen, so I love that she did something different in this Cong Tri Spring 2020 jumpsuit.  Both the style and the chartreuse colour feel like a bit of a risk, but it’s one that paid off I feel. Forevermark jewels completed her look.

Janet Mock: The director wore a Valentino Fall 2019 Haute Couture dress which feels like it’s a tad too big for her.  Thankfully the embellished leather gloves serve as distraction.

Cong Tri Spring 2020
Valentino Fall 2019 Haute Couture

Christine Baranski:  It’s criminal how hugely underrated Antonio Berardi is.  This royal green, neoprene long sleeve gown with embellished gold neckline was easily one of the best looks of the night. David Webb jewels added yet more sparkle to her look.

AJ Michalka:  The actress wore an Elisabetta Franchi Fall 2019 gown which stood out thanks to its vibrant graphic print.

Ava DuVernay:  I know what you’re going to say, but the intricate design on her Michael Cinco signature fit-and-flare dress was absolutely divine.

Greta Gerwig: The award-winning director is keeping up her run for wearing suits, despite many of you not taking too kindly to this run which extends from her ‘Little Women’ promo tour.  This lush  custom green velvet double-breasted tuxedo with black lapels and wide-leg matching trousers by Alberta Ferretti Limited Edition, was styled with Nikos Koulis jewels and Stuart Weitzman black satin ‘Fillmina’ sandals.

Susan Kelechi Watson: The actress was in sultry mode wearing a Galia Lahav gown featuring a fully sheer lace back styled with Marli New York jewelry.

Thomasin Mckenzie:  I’m always intrigued by a Louis Vuitton that doesn’t follow the usual LV style. While this dress sis made lace, and not tulle, its dainty elegance perfectly suits Thomasin’s style.  Repossi jewels completed her look.

Margaret Qualley:  The actress continues to have very quiet moments on the red carpet in this Miu Miu white dress embroidered with flower motif pearls and black velvet bow detailing.

Awkwafina: Continues to have a strong presence on the red carpet during awards season wearing a  marigold, silk chiffon Elie Saab Resort 2020 gown. I adore the green clutch here. Stuart Weitzman custom dyed ‘Chaka’ platforms and Irene Neuwirth jewels completed her look.

Lucy Hale:  Never one to be afraid to showcase her girly side, the actress was the epitome of feminine-chic wearing a Miu Miu green chiffon gown with a black satin belt embellished crystal and pearl detailing styled with Jimmy Choo ‘Pattie’ sandals and jewels from Maria Tash ,Anabela Chan, Djula and Harry Kotlar.

Joey King:  The purposely wrinkled Prada dress does have a futuristic feel about it.  But if you didn’t like Lucy Boynton’s look from the Golden Globes last week, perhaps this won’t appeal to you.

Kaitlyn Dever:  At this point you may be over Dior Haute Couture pink tulle bustier dresses, but I was charmed by this outing. Sergio Rossi ‘Godiva Steel’ sandals and a hot-pink lip to prevent the dress washing her out.

Phoebe Waller Bridge:  The actress isn’t one to usually do sheer, but there was a timeless quality to her Dior Haute Couture Fall 2019 black tulle bustier dress which I love. Nancy Newberg and Anna Sheffield jewels accessorized her look.

Emily Hampshire:  The same really applies to Emily’s J.Mendel Resort 2020 gown.

Chloe Bennet: The actress looked like she was floating on a cloud wearing this YANINA Couture Spring 2019 blush chiffon gown.

Olivia Wilde: The actress kept things simple in Valentino Spring 2020 styled with Messika High Jewelry

Credit: Getty & Vogue.com

Zendaya Coleman In Tom Ford - 2020 Critics’ Choice Awards

Zendaya Coleman In Tom Ford – 2020 Critics’ Choice Awards

2020 Critics Choice Awards Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

2020 Critics Choice Awards Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

39 Responses to 2020 Critics Choice Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. Guest January 16, 2020 at 5:31 pm #

Florence is my fav here.

2. Guest January 15, 2020 at 3:59 am #

Christine Baranski looks fabulous!
    Also, most of the looks are working!!

3. Paola102 January 14, 2020 at 3:21 pm #

Christine looks so chic. I also like Awkwafina, Phoebe and Lucy. I applaud Kristen for not having one crease on this fabric. Proof it can be done. Chloe’s dress sits too low. The rest is predictable or meh.

4. Guest January 14, 2020 at 3:21 pm #

Christine Baranski looks perfect.

5. Guest January 14, 2020 at 2:50 pm #

I’m on the fence about most of these. Kristen looks sensational – I adore the color. Christine’s dress is gorgeous but the sleeves look uncomfortably tight? And Awkwafina desperately needs to get a new stylist/makeup artist.

6. Sharon M January 14, 2020 at 12:57 pm #

Laura Dern blew me away…I think she looks wonderful. I also like Phoebe’s dress…very different for her, and very flattering.

7. Guest January 14, 2020 at 10:34 am #

Almost everyone look soooo good!

8. Kat January 14, 2020 at 10:02 am #

Better dressed that the Globes in my opinion. I’m impressed. LOVE Christine Baranski. BDOTW for me

9. Catarina_M January 14, 2020 at 9:22 am #

I’m loving this bright colour dresses!
    Laura Dern, Kristen Bell and Christine Baranski are my favourites.

10. Noor January 14, 2020 at 5:29 am #

Alison is the first to be noticed as stunning. Annabelle is the second who’s breath taking. Christine is the third who make me fall in love with her gorgeous dress. Along Lucy who asks to love her head to toe.

I like this over Golden Globes. It’s good to see a red carpet with the standards with no begging for attention with showing skin. I don’t know who else was there but judging by what I saw through RCFA, I like this event.

11. Guest January 14, 2020 at 5:23 am #

Joey King is my favorite of the bunch. Love the silhouette and the wrinkly texture of the silver (even though I was not a fan of Lucy Boynton’s look due to the styling and coloring on her).
    The orange color is gorgeous. I esp love how refreshing it looks on Laura Dern – best she’s looked in quite awhile.
    Although Lucy Hale looks very pretty and feminine in that Miu Miu, I’m on the fence regarding that pearl and crystal embellishment along the hips.
    And Christine Baranski demonstrates that you don’t need to show skin or a crazy silhouette to stand out.

12. Originalmeme January 14, 2020 at 5:02 am #

Laura and Alison look great. The color is gorgeous. Christine looks elegant and classic, as always. Kirsten bell’s outfit is a crime.

13. Guest January 14, 2020 at 4:52 am #

Laura Dern (oh my that colour), Christine Baranski and Lucy Hale are my top three.

14. Guest January 14, 2020 at 3:47 am #

Rachel Brosnahan really needs to rethink that haircolor and her makeup is dreadful, especially with the dress color.

• Guest January 14, 2020 at 5:11 am #

Although I prefer her as a brunette, she’s a natural blonde.

• Guest January 14, 2020 at 2:51 pm #

I feel like she has Emma Stone syndrome, where she looks good in every hair color except her own (blond).

15. JasLinds January 14, 2020 at 2:51 am #

Laura, Alison and Christine.
    Also, I think Awkwafina looks really good – sometimes she doesn’t get it quite right. AND I’M SO MAD SHE DIDN’T GET AN OSCAR NOMINATION and we won’t (probably) get to see her there.

16. Guest January 14, 2020 at 2:07 am #

Annabelle

17. KseniaBradner January 13, 2020 at 11:23 pm #

Margaret Qualley dressed like she doesn’t want to be there. Stay home.

Thomasin’s LV is DIVINE. It reminds me of Lady Gaga’s divine LV gown. Boy can they do custom white gowns.

I like Joey’s Prada. It’s unique while still being quite conservative.

Olivia Wilde is my queen, but I wanted more from her.

Kaitlyn Dever was born to wear Dior and Valentino. Why wear Monique Lhuillier when Dior Couture and Valentino Couture are right there…

Awkwafina’s look is gorgeous and one of her best ever. Her eyemakeup ties everything together.

Janet presented that Valentino Couture well, I just think it needs someone taller, like Elizabeth Debicki. Seriously, that gown suits her tall stature and no-fuss style, but it would add much needed razzle dazzle. The gown is too conservative on Janet. Though I LOVE Janet Mock in Valentino Couture, give me more.

The love Rachel’s style, but the taffeta skirt is too long. Taffeta fabric is great for a tulip shape, but it looks awkward when a round shape is elongated.

• Originalmeme January 14, 2020 at 5:05 am #

Ms Qualley is just another dull nepotism model who thinks she has much more talent than she does. Her whole look is awful

18. Guest January 13, 2020 at 10:56 pm #

First thought on seeing Janet is that she is wearing dishwashing gloves. It would look better without then surely.

• Guest January 14, 2020 at 5:15 am #

The gloves totally ruined the look!

19. Guest January 13, 2020 at 7:10 pm #

Haven’t seen most of these looks before but I really like:
    Laura Dern, Annabelle Wallis and Christine Baranski.
    Alison Brie is also good.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:38 pm #

all those plus Lucy Hale.

20. Guest January 13, 2020 at 6:58 pm #

Laura, Christine, and Lucy Hale.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:38 pm #

100%

21. Guest January 13, 2020 at 6:27 pm #

Antonio Berardi – a designer who’s work I’ve haven’t heard or seen in ages, Christine’s gown looks fantastic.
    I also love Kristen’s jumpsuit.
    It might be just the shot but Janet looks to a rounded stomach in it and the gloves look cheap costume off the runway.
    Allison is my favourite of the orange outfits, Laura’s dress need to be taken up an inch or two.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:39 pm #

I hope to see Antonio Berardi more often. It’s been a while

22. MissHebble January 13, 2020 at 6:10 pm #

Laura, Annabelle and Christine are my favourites here. That orange is such a joyful colour! Kristen looks good too. I am a sucker for a jumpsuit!

23. Vizual Ninja January 13, 2020 at 3:52 pm #

Top row looks great, that bright orange looks fab on all of them. I just wish Laura did a more polished hairstyle for her look. I also like Florence, though I’m biased I loved her since seeing Midsommar, and Kristen here.
    Updates
    That green on Christine is lush, such a sophisticated look. I like Ava’ look here, it is a bit of a change by her standards. Love Joey but her dress looks like foil. Lucy is the strongest addition for me.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:37 pm #

Christine is always divine

24. Phee phee January 13, 2020 at 3:47 pm #

Of the oranges, Alison Brie wins. Its just so delish. I love the dress, the color, and that fabulous lipstick! Laura also looks pretty darn good.
    Of the silvers, Annabelle wins. She had the best overall look from ht2. The others I have nitpicks.
    Kristen looks pretty good. The color works for her surprisingly. Its a risk that paid off for her. Although not a fave of the night or anything….

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:38 pm #

I agree with Brie when it comes to the best orange

• Phee phee January 14, 2020 at 2:30 am #

Of this added batch, I love Lucy hales look. Its so adorable, in the best way possible. She looks wonderful!
      Christine looks very classy, as always.

25. Guest January 13, 2020 at 3:28 pm #

Was there an orange/silver memo?
    Allison looks sleek

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:39 pm #

LOL looks like it

26. Dominos January 13, 2020 at 2:55 pm #

You know you’re surrounded by “yes people” when not one person on Rachel’s team is willing to tell her that hair colour is not working for her. Fire them and bring back the brunette.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 13, 2020 at 8:38 pm #

Is it not for a film?

• Dominos January 14, 2020 at 10:14 am #

I’d have requested a wig.