Menu

January 3, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Our risk taker of 2019, Cynthia Erivo was not about to take her foot off the gas in 2020.

The ‘Harriet’ star joined Jennifer Lopez and Renée Zellweger on the red carpet for the 31st Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards Gala held at the Palm Springs Convention Center on Thursday (January 2) in California.

But unlike JLo, the British actress is not in the business of diluting her signature, unique style.

Some might say that this sheer navy and gold bustier Schiaparelli Fall 2019 Haute Couture gown with a hood is a bit too much for this event; save it for the Grammys.

I would say, “where’s your spirit of adventure?”

If there’s one person who’s going to ensure this awards season will serve up some moments of unpredictability, it’s Cynthia, and I’m so here and ready for it.

Schiaparelli Fall 2019 Haute Couture

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , , ,

Renée Zellweger Wore Jason Wu Collection To The 2019 Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards

Charlize Theron Wore Christian Dior To The 2019 Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards

20 Responses to Cynthia Erivo Wore Schiaparelli Haute Couture To The 2019 Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards

1. Guest January 5, 2020 at 5:54 am #

Not impressed

2. Noor January 4, 2020 at 12:45 pm #

It’s happy to see her again with that smile. I’ not always a fan although she enjoys colors.

3. lelaid January 3, 2020 at 9:52 pm #

Between her and Emilia Clarke’s Schiaparelli I’m really appalled at the poor construction that Schiaparelli is calling “couture”. This looks like a Fashion Nova dress draped over a fabulous bustier.

4. Guest January 3, 2020 at 7:24 pm #

I feel like this should’ve worked but it didn’t.

5. Maya January 3, 2020 at 7:23 pm #

Love the hood, love the glittery bustier. But as a few other people have pointed out, I wish the fabric was richer and not sheer. (Also, wow, she has incredible shoulders.)

6. StJosephCross January 3, 2020 at 7:07 pm #

Love it! Grace Jones vibes is always a good thing

7. KseniaBradner January 3, 2020 at 7:05 pm #

I agree with Catarina in that I love this, but the sheerness with the specific fabric makes it look a little cheap, even though the bodice and cut of the halter-hoodie show it is not cheap at all.

8. Phee phee January 3, 2020 at 6:37 pm #

Well, after cutting her style down in her risk-taker post Im caught eating my words….lol
    I love this look on her. Why? Because its sleeker, more clean-cut, more modern silhouette. I always said she suits these looks farrrrrr more than those girlie princess Ott looks.
    I love the hood frankly, and the colors…..its sheer ya, but overall, Im taking this as a win.

9. Guest January 3, 2020 at 6:10 pm #

You know what : she is here to win her Oscar and become one of the very few members of the EGOT club so she might as well go BIG or GO HOME. Seems she has chosen already and I am here for it too like you Catherine. ?

10. Guest January 3, 2020 at 5:16 pm #

I think she’s going to make awards season so interesting and exciting. I can’t wait!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards January 3, 2020 at 6:08 pm #

I’m so excited

11. Guest January 3, 2020 at 3:52 pm #

Can’t help but shake off a dated feel, and yeah, she needs to tone down those eyelashes, they are too ott and fake-looking, and the ‘ribbon’ in her hair is cheesy and unnecessary.

On the side note, if it had been a hood it would’ve made all the difference – it would’ve actually made the look more cool and up-to-date.

12. Guest January 3, 2020 at 3:36 pm #

I like the glamour and fun of it. I’m glad she kept the hood, it’s very Cynthia and doesn’t look overplayed. I would change the hair colour and add a light lining or slightly thicker fabric to make the skirt look more couture quality expensive.

13. Los_NGLS January 3, 2020 at 3:30 pm #

I think it looks great (and I’ve always been pro-sheer, lol), but I would’ve taken away the hood, or just jet it hang or something. I don’t understand the hood at all.
    Oh also, though the makeup looks good, I’ve never really liked matching makeup colors to looks, I think coordination is a better goal for makeup.

• Guest January 3, 2020 at 6:10 pm #

The hood kinda reminisces the Grace Jones era imho.

• Los_NGLS January 3, 2020 at 8:41 pm #

Ah yes. I didn’t like them on Grace either. (or rather, I wouldn’t have had)

14. Catarina_M January 3, 2020 at 3:12 pm #

She looks great, I just don’t like the sheerness of the fabric.

15. P&P January 3, 2020 at 3:00 pm #

I really like this. The dress is simultaneously classic but modern. Agree with the previous commenter that the fabric looks a bit cheap, but other than that she looks great.

16. CharlotteLG January 3, 2020 at 2:38 pm #

I like this.
    The dress is beautiful and it works perfectly on her.
    My only complaint would be about the blue fabric, it looks a bit cheap.

• Guest January 4, 2020 at 2:00 am #

Agree with the blue fabric, which appears to be too light and slightly transparent, hence cheapens the whole look.