Menu

May 7, 2019

Lady Gaga’s Four Brandon Maxwell Looks For The 2019 Met Gala

As the 2019 Met Gala co-host and reigning queen of camp, Lady Gaga had her own big, platform-clad footsteps to fill on Monday (May 6) in New York City for the ‘Camp: Notes on Fashion’-themed gala.

Gaga has been doing the camp thing for years — cue the meat dress, the egg, the orbit design, and the list goes on and on — so, she has a whole repertoire of shock-and-awe looks to her name and an OTT reputation to maintain.

But, never fear, she managed to outdo herself yet again whilst shutting down the pink carpet with not one, not two, but four distinct outfit changes.

She peeled back the layers of each and every Brandon Maxwell creation, clearly moonlighting as a Russian nesting doll.

First up was a magnificent magenta confection — impossibly billowy and with a train that could have doubled as her personal parachute. I also love the girlish fun here with the gigantic bow in her hair.

Hiding below all that pink perfection was a black gown that was made whimsical with the pouf skirt and the black umbrella she carried.

Calling all Little Monsters… Gaga slimmed down even further to this hot-pink column gown, where she revived the ’80s brick mobile phone — and equally retro sunnies.

Leave it to Lady Gaga to throw all caution to the wind with her final showing, stripped bare to bra and undies with fishnets. It’s nothing we haven’t really seen before, but the whole point here was the performance aspect and the art of the quick-change.

In this last skin-baring look, her decorative eye makeup and signature, hoof-clad feet were the most heavily outfitted areas of her entire body.

Credit: Getty

, , , ,

Louis Vuitton @ 2019 Met Gala

Louis Vuitton @ 2019 Met Gala

Michael B. Jordan In Coach - 2019 Met Gala

Michael B. Jordan In Coach – 2019 Met Gala

22 Responses to Lady Gaga’s Four Brandon Maxwell Looks For The 2019 Met Gala

1. Guest May 12, 2019 at 1:15 pm #

1. Not one look out of 4 come close to what Gaga is capable of.
    2. The concept, quality and execution of the red carpet performance did not come close to what she is usually known to deliver.

On a camp themed night, its ironic that maybe Less Is More would have worked?

2. Guest May 8, 2019 at 2:42 am #

This night was made for Gaga and she did not disappoint! I love her commitment not only to the theme but for her pink carpet antics. She was most definitely Queen of the night!

3. OGCaroline May 7, 2019 at 1:47 pm #

I expected more. That’s it. Expected more.

4. Guest May 7, 2019 at 11:55 am #

I know you said you won’t be posting everyone but this is still a great amount of work.

I’m still hoping to see some of the models (like Jourdan Dunn, Josephine Skriver and even Kendall) and a few celebrities (like Dua Lipa).

As for Gaga – it was a performance not the look. 🙂

I like the second dress the most but appreciate the overall effort.

5. IDfc301 May 7, 2019 at 11:35 am #

Yes, none of the outfits are particularly memorable for MET standards. That’s not the point. Gaga is camp and the theatrical of this performance is C.A.M.P. to its core.

As always with Gaga, she always has something to say about pop culture. Whether it’s re-telling something of the past (that Pink dress is like if Monroe was in the 80s) or making a statement about our obsession with it (laying around in your underwear, on the most famous steps in fashion culture, for more photographers than you can imagine).

This is camp af and best of the night – but not best dressed. She never usually is though.

• Guest May 8, 2019 at 2:26 am #

+1!!!

6. Guest May 7, 2019 at 11:09 am #

I find this woman very basic and very gimmicky. She doesn’t impress me any more because she is always “on” . Very underwhelming event this year imho.

7. Guest May 7, 2019 at 10:54 am #

She wowed the crowd!! This was another day in the office for her. I loved her entrance so much!!! My favorite out of he hanged is her first look. Marvelous!!!!

8. Guest May 7, 2019 at 9:50 am #

Just amazing

9. MissHebble May 7, 2019 at 9:21 am #

I adore the spectacle of it all. While none of the outfits blew me away I loved the performance. She certainly knows how to work the red (pink!) carpet!

10. Guest May 7, 2019 at 8:35 am #

She was losing me with each disrobe moment. Just felt like ‘best of’ past looks of Lady Gaga

11. Phee phee May 7, 2019 at 5:45 am #

While none of the looks after the first one were of much interest I like that she peeled off layers and gave a show.
    the first one is not pretty either but at least its dramatic.
    the makeup stands out most I think.
    She sure knows how to do camp though.

12. Guest May 7, 2019 at 5:39 am #

She was one of the first people on the carpet. When I initially saw these looks I was raving but now I’m looking at them again, they look kinda basic. I want more from gaga.

13. Vizual Ninja May 7, 2019 at 5:38 am #

This is peak Gaga! I was wondering how she’d outdo herself but with four outfit changes in 10minutes she definitely delivered! The first two of the wardrobe marathon were my favourites.

14. CarolinaSt May 7, 2019 at 5:37 am #

I appreciate the performance but none of the actual looks really stood out to me

• Guest May 7, 2019 at 10:22 am #

I feel the same. I love the theatrics but not the looks.

• AnderBoBo May 7, 2019 at 10:28 am #

I agree, wish we got one amazing look as opposed to four underwhelming ones.

• Guest May 7, 2019 at 1:30 pm #

15. Vu0n9 May 7, 2019 at 5:34 am #

I enjoyed each look until she stripped off. The bra and panties combo is very ugly tbh.

16. SarahS95 May 7, 2019 at 5:26 am #

Queen of Camp!! The perfect host of this themed gala. She created so many iconic photos in the space of 15 minutes with 4 different looks – she’s on another level

17. JasLinds May 7, 2019 at 5:26 am #

This theme was made for Gaga. She totally outdid herself! Love every look and love the drama!

18. Guest May 7, 2019 at 5:23 am #

I was just wondering where Gaga was. I love the huge phone with the pink dress and the glasses. I actually like the all three looks and the Russian doll effect of peeling off layers until we got to her underwear and pantyhose. The last look is the least creative and least interesting. But, I can’t deny that Gaga knows how to do CAMP.