Menu

February 7, 2019

amfAR New York Gala 2019

Posted by Heather Cichowski

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features amfAR New York Gala 2019

The amfAR New York Gala 2019 on Wednesday (February 6) presented bold look after bold look.

Heidi Klum: The supermodel showed off her assets in glittering Paolo Sebastian accessorized with Lorraine Schwartz jewels. The embroidery attempts to add whimsy.

Kim Kardashian: It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that it was all about the eye-popping cleavage of her vintage Versace look with Lorraine Schwartz jewels.

Karolina Kurkova: The bold colour and fluid silhouette of her Oscar de la Renta Pre-Fall 2019 look was mesmerizing, and more effective than some of the cleavage-baring styles.

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features amfAR New York Gala 2019

Nadine Leopold: The Austrian beauty showed separates can be as arresting as any gown in draped Ashi Studio Spring 2019 Couture.

Ebonee Davis: The Fendi Resort 2019 look is charming and the metallic boots are a fabulous addition, but it doesn’t feel quite right for the event.

Candice Swanepoel: The South African model was all wrapped up in a Rasario gown with Giuseppe Zanotti shoes. The oversized bow might have stolen the attention from the slit.

Leomie Anderson: There was an abundance of pink fabric in her Khyeli dress. The slit attempts to provide relief, but the gathers make it appear sloppy. Giuseppe Zanotti shoes finished the flirty look.

Grace Elizabeth: Her L’Atelier Sonia Rykiel ensemble feels a bit unfinished and almost like it was the lining to another look.

Danielle Herrington: There was no shortage of dynamic embellishment in her Thai Nguyen gown with Alexis Bittar jewels. The combination is sublime.

Milla Jovovich: The model-actress glittered in gold and silver-flecked Prada. It’s a head-turning mix of metallics.

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features amfAR New York Gala 2019

Hilary Rhoda: She showed the beauty of minimalism and decadent fabrics in a graceful Monique Lhuillier Fall 2019 gown.

Winnie Harlow: The model brought retro romance in Marchesa with Giuseppe Zanotti shoes and Lorraine Schwartz jewels.

Kelsey Merritt: Clad in Georges Hobeika Fall 2018 Couture, the Filipino-American beauty set pulses racing with her high slit and translucent embellished fabric.

Daphne Groeneveld: The Dutch stunner showed leg in Georges Hobeika, but it’s the sheer fabric on the bodice where the eye will likely go to.

Michi Delane: The detailing on her Ines Di Santo dress presents an interesting texture, but it might bring to mind bloody connotations.

Nina Agdal: She went short and sassy in Gustavo Cadile with Giuseppe Zanotti heels. The lining colour is throwing it off. It’s unclear where it’s meant to be flesh-toned or not.

Lais Ribeiro: She wasn’t bothered about showing cleavage or legs in Vitor Zerbinato with Giuseppe Zanotti shoes and megawatt Chopard jewels.

Kristina Romanova: There was plenty of poetic romance in her Rasario number. One gets so swept up in the voluminous sleeves they almost don’t notice the slit. Almost.

Devon Windsor: She balanced a plunging neckline and sexy slit with strong shoulders in an Alexandre Vauthier gown. The colour isn’t doing much for her.

Chanel Iman: The new mum was a goddess in gold tones in Rasario with Lorraine Schwartz jewels. It was an elegant bohemian outfit.

Sasha Pivovarova: Her pleated Dior gown provided some whimsical relief against the more overt styles. It still has allure from the gossamer material.

Kelsea Ballerini: The singer showed off her shape in Galia Lahav. It’s too bad the styling reads rather maturely.

Elsa Hosk: She took the plunge in vintage Tom Ford for Gucci. There’s a welcome effortless feeling to the ensemble.

Isabeli Fontana: Disco met modern sparkle in her Colcci Brasil look. It was an asymmetrical dress that didn’t feel disjointed.

Bar Refaeli: This Giorgio Armani gown was heavily decorated but one could almost call it seductively simple given its minimalist silhouette.

Victoria Justice: No ornate jewels were needed thanks to the actress’s embellished Nedo gown. APM Monaco jewellery added the right amount of sparkle.

Alessandra Ambrosio: The keyhole cutout of her Lena Berisha dress makes sense, but the triangular one is perplexing. Lorraine Schwartz jewels couldn’t distract from it.

Joy Corrigan: The American model went for full glamour and drama in Berta. Removing a few elements would let her natural beauty shine more clearly.

Charlotte Lawrence: Her Monique Lhuillier strapless gown and jewels had a prom feeling to them. The wishy-washy colour needed to be stronger.

Kourtney Kardashian: She was clad in sensual Versace with Lorraine Schwartz jewels, like her sister. There’s something amiss about the proportions of the neckline.

Credit: Getty

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Sienna Miller In Proenza Schouler - Ilene Joy Jewelry Collection Launch

Sienna Miller In Proenza Schouler – Ilene Joy Jewelry Collection Launch

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Givenchy - The Endeavour Fund Awards

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Givenchy – The Endeavour Fund Awards

71 Responses to amfAR New York Gala 2019

1. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

I meant to say Chanel, Candice and the no. 1 stunner: Karolina. That is all.

2. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Karolina looks absolutely breathtaking in this gown. There are a ton of other pics as well where you can really see the vibrancy of the colour. Also her skin is utterly glowing here.

3. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Karolina and Nadine are my picks here. Karolina felt like a palette cleanser after the try hards in the same row as her. Kourtney was never going to look as good as Doutzen did when she modelled it. A lot of bland looks but models generally can be disappointing on the red carpet. Is Bar wearing the same dress Cara Santana wore in Venice? https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2018/08/31/cara-santana-in-giorgio-armani-the-favourite-venice-film-festival-premiere/

4. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Ebonee’s look would have been awesome for a less dressy occasion.

5. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Kristina and Danielle are my favs here.

6. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Karolina and Mila are mu favourites here, followed by Ebonee.

7. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

I am amazed that Lais’ dress can stay up.

8. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Karolina, Candice, and Danielle look gorgeous. So does Ebonee but for a different event. I could have loved Nadine’s look with slimmer cut pants. I too am perplexed by Alessandra’s triangular cutout. It seems so random. I think Courtney borrowed her dress from Kim https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2018/04/03/kim-kardashian-versace-kkw-x-mario-dinner/. They should retire it.

9. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Hillary Rhoda for the win. I see quite a few trashy dresses and quite a few ugly ones. Kim is going to bust out of that dress any minute and looks super fake. Cindy Crawford wore that dress in red years ago and looked amazing. But hers actually fit her. Heidi just looks trashy and desperate.

10. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Hillary Rhoda and Karolina Kurkova look nice. Kim and Heidi both look trashy and bad. The rest are either meh or ugly.

11. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Kim as usual is the picture of tacky vulgarity. Same old orange tan, spilling implants, and cheap looking weave as always. So boring and predictable. Kourtney doesn’t look much better in that unflattering cut and too tight hair. Hedi’s dress is pretty, but the over the top cleavage kills the look. I think my favorites here are Candice and Victoria. Both look pretty and glamorous without trying too hard.

12. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Hillary Rhoda and Karolina Kurkova for me are the best.

Heidi and Kim are trying so much I simply can’t look at them.

13. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Karolina, followed by Candice.

I like Ebonee’s look as well, but not for the event.

14. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

The request to avoid personal attacks and stick to fashion should apply to Kim K as well as it does to Meghan M.

15. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Is it not true?

16. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

I just want to know, has Kim K ever looked classy and elegant? Why must she always look SO vulgar and so tacky?

17. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Candice and Hilary for me. I really like Nadine’s Ashi top but feel the volume needed to be balanced by a more slim line pant.

18. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Ah Kim at least she’s consistent. I only really love Candice here and Ebonee’ hair. And, I think that’s a personal best for Winnie. Everyone else is either, boring, tacky or dated.

19. Guest April 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm #

Karolina hands down. But I do love Candice and Hilary as well.

20. kane February 10, 2019 at 6:20 pm #

The first row gives me a school playground flashback: “yeah, I am not with them…”

That said, I like Hilary’s and Winnie’s looks.

21. Dorothy February 8, 2019 at 3:08 pm #

Victoria Justice, Danielle Herrington, Candice Swanepoel and Karolina Kurkova are my favorites; each one looks beautiful.

22. MissCoco February 8, 2019 at 11:56 am #

I love Karolina, Isabeli and Candice, really stood out from the rest. I can’t believe Alessandra goes to an event with that hair.

23. Miss H February 8, 2019 at 11:34 am #

FC, I love the juxtaposition of placing Karolina’s photo next to those of Boobs McGee 1 and 2. Karolina looks fantastic – classy and vibrant without a hint of try hard!

24. Amy February 8, 2019 at 11:32 am #

Karolina looks effortlessly chic. Great color.

Candice looks nice, that bow saved the dress.

Winnie’s dress is quite elegant. They actually got the sheer panel right which is rare when it comes to darker skintones

25. Noemi February 8, 2019 at 11:12 am #

So many beautiful looks and tacky ones. I like Karolina Kurkova, Hilary Rhoda, Sasha Pivovarova, and Elsa Hosk in that beautiful Gucci dress.

26. aa February 8, 2019 at 9:57 am #

I only like the Danielle, Ebonee, Milla, and Hilary.

27. Camilla February 8, 2019 at 8:07 am #

Victoria Justice, Chanel Iman, and Ebonee Davis. I like that Victoria’s look, while sleek, doesn’t look like it’s been chosen just to showcase her body, as many of the others have (Alessandra Ambrosio next to her is never not a case in point).

p.s. I’m not sure if Chanel Iman’s column dress, sandals and peacock-y earrings would be called ‘bohemian’ on someone else. Great look though.

28. brat February 8, 2019 at 2:04 am #

Karolina, Ebonee, Danielle and Hillary!

29. Sarah February 8, 2019 at 12:23 am #

Candice Swanepoel, Karolina and Elsa Hosk are my best dressed here!

I think without the bow Candice’s look could’ve been quite boring – although she would’ve made it work.

Karolina is always knocking it out of the park and making it look so easy to do so, more models need to take pointers from her.

And I love the clean minimalism that Elsa has going on.

My worst dressed is probably Alessandra – that random cutout, and that hair my god she can do so much better!!

30. Nadine February 7, 2019 at 11:26 pm #

Lot of nice looks from the models, but Karolina is sublime.

31. YoungTimGunn February 7, 2019 at 11:21 pm #

Karolina aside, who looks beautiful and timely, what a sorry mess! And of course, leading the way in absolute vulgarity is Kim K. The Kardashian/Jenner klan is just pollution.

32. phee February 7, 2019 at 10:52 pm #

Karolina by far. although Candice looks nice too.

Kim was laughable.

33. JHH February 7, 2019 at 10:49 pm #

• JHH February 8, 2019 at 2:02 am #

I am amazed that Lais’ dress can stay up.

34. Sanya February 7, 2019 at 10:44 pm #

Karolina and Mila are mu favourites here, followed by Ebonee.

35. Caroline February 7, 2019 at 10:37 pm #

Kristina and Danielle are my favs here.

36. TeaAtTwo February 7, 2019 at 9:19 pm #

Ebonee’s look would have been awesome for a less dressy occasion.

37. TeaAtTwo February 7, 2019 at 9:16 pm #

38. Jeremy McKay February 7, 2019 at 9:01 pm #

39. Lara February 7, 2019 at 8:44 pm #

I meant to say Chanel, Candice and the no. 1 stunner: Karolina. That is all.

40. Lara February 7, 2019 at 8:43 pm #

Lais, Candice and the no. 1 stunner: Karolina. That is all.

41. JHH February 7, 2019 at 8:32 pm #

Karolina, Candice, and Danielle. Ebonee looks great but for another event and I could have loved Nadine’s looks if the pants had a slimmer silhouette. I too am perplexed by Alessandra’s triangular cut out. I think Courtney borrowed this dress from Kim https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2018/04/03/kim-kardashian-versace-kkw-x-mario-dinner/. They should retire it.

• Catherine Kallon February 8, 2019 at 1:19 am #

Ahhh yes. 😀

good spot

42. gabis February 7, 2019 at 8:19 pm #

Karolina hands down. But I do love Candice and Hilary as well.

43. Vizual Ninja February 7, 2019 at 8:10 pm #

44. Kimma February 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm #

45. s February 7, 2019 at 7:46 pm #

• meme February 7, 2019 at 8:05 pm #

NO. Because she thinks she’s the most beautiful woman in the world and she’s a narcissistic exhibitionist.

• Lara February 7, 2019 at 8:45 pm #

• meme February 7, 2019 at 9:04 pm #

Is it not true?

46. Iva February 7, 2019 at 7:43 pm #

Karolina, followed by Candice.

I like Ebonee’s look as well, but not for the event.

47. Hannah February 7, 2019 at 7:05 pm #

Hillary Rhoda and Karolina Kurkova for me are the best.

Heidi and Kim are trying so much I simply can’t look at them.

48. pinksugar February 7, 2019 at 6:57 pm #