Menu

05.02.19

2019 Oscars Nominees Luncheon

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features 2019 Oscars Nominees Luncheon

The 2019 Oscars Nominees Luncheon also saw a number of other bold-named stars joining Lady Gaga and Rachel Weisz for the occasion on Monday (February 4) in Beverly Hills, California.

Amy Adams: The actress kept it simple and luncheon-chic in a rich, forest-green Oscar de la Renta dress paired with Azza Fahmy chandelier earrings as her main source of embellishment.

Regina King:
This ballet-pink Prada dress was undoubtedly precious. But, it struck me as just a bit too twee for Regina.

Yalitza Aparicio: Yalitzia was also wearing a Prada frock that was slightly less precious, which is a good thing in this case. I found its retro silhouette a nice counterbalance to all that signature embellishment, too.

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features 2019 Oscars Nominees Luncheon

Glenn Close: Lovely in lavender, Glenn gave us a new look at menswear-inspired tailoring with this Alexander McQueen suit.

Melissa McCarthy: I love this midnight-navy Jonathan Simkhai frock on Melissa; the ruffled sleeves and hem make it flirty and the tonal waist seaming enhances the hourglass for an even more flattering look. But, what endears me to the ensemble most are her bright, coral-orange mules. Alison Lou earrings completed the outfit.

Laura Dern: Laura’s looks don’t always resonate, but I think this Proenza Schouler dress was a good effort from the actress. The bauble accents added that special, cool factor that her looks seek out — without venturing into overdone territory.

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features 2019 Oscars Nominees Luncheon

Marina de Tavira: I can see where Marina was going with a softer, romantic quality, but I don’t think the muted colours, the unstructured fit, or the boudoir silk effect of this Gucci studded dress really worked.

Linda Cardellini:
This Monique Lhuillier Spring 2019 lace party frock also trended to the twee side. But, some of that youthful sweetness was mitigated by the sleek black and white palette and the simple sandals.

Credit: Getty

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Glenn Close In Valentino - 2019 Santa Barbara International Film Festival

Glenn Close In Valentino – 2019 Santa Barbara International Film Festival

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Gladys Knight In Michael Kors Collection - Super Bowl LIII

Gladys Knight In Michael Kors Collection – Super Bowl LIII

19 Responses to 2019 Oscars Nominees Luncheon

1. Caroline February 7, 2019 at 1:20 am #

I don’t like Regina’s dress. The rest look good except for the last row.

2. CKMade February 6, 2019 at 3:38 pm #

Melissa looks fantastic! I also like Amy. I like Glenn, but I feel like the color washes her out.

3. Hoda Masoud February 6, 2019 at 9:22 am #

On a side note, Amy Adams chandelier earrings are by azza fahmy who is an Egyptian jewelry designer and as a fellow Egyptian I feel so proud of her right now 😍

4. Amanda F February 6, 2019 at 5:40 am #

Simplicity wins – Melissa, Amy and Glenn

5. henrique February 6, 2019 at 3:21 am #

whoa that gucci is one of the ugliest things i’ve ever seen…

6. Nadine February 6, 2019 at 12:03 am #

LOVE Yalitza’s dress.

7. Dhppy February 5, 2019 at 11:27 pm #

The first three are my favorite looks, although I really want to snip that snap that’s crossing Regina’s chest.

8. Chris February 5, 2019 at 7:01 pm #

Yalitza is looking nice once again! The color is feeling fresh on her, not totally sure about the shoes, though.
    The second row is nice as well.

9. Vizual Ninja February 5, 2019 at 2:58 pm #

Yalitza is such a joy, I like her look. I also like Glenn and Melissa…who looks smoking, definitely a personal best for her. Amy is ok too.

10. CN February 5, 2019 at 2:55 pm #

Glenn Close’s monochromatic fantasy is my favorite here.
    I would have loved Regina’s dress more if not for that strap across the chest. It’s very distracting.
    Yalitza looks really cute in this look. Laura Dern looks lovely.
    The rest of them look fairly boring.

11. faellie February 5, 2019 at 10:23 am #

Whoever dresses LInda should have known that you should never sit down to lunch (or even a dinner that is not a ball supper) in a strapless dress.

I hope for Laura’s sake that the baubles on her dress stopped before the bottom, as otherwise her lunch would have been very uncomfortable.

12. Kimma February 5, 2019 at 10:09 am #

They’re all pretty awful actually. I feel like I’m having a really negative start to the year with the comments, but honestly the fashion wins have been few and far between. Glenn is the best. Hope the general trend turns around soon.

• meme February 5, 2019 at 2:25 pm #

13. Ruth February 5, 2019 at 8:39 am #

Yalitza wears a lot of big names brands. Kudos to her stylist.
    Everybody looks amazing.

14. TeaAtTwo February 5, 2019 at 7:44 am #

Yalitza’s and Linda’s dresses come across as twee with Marina’s dress just ugly. The other outfits are quite nice. I wish Glenn had put tonal purple shoes to go with her suit.

15. Camilla February 5, 2019 at 6:50 am #

You can tell Melissa loves her outfit too. It’s simple but doesn’t fade into the background, and is sharp and chic, which is a gear shift for her – her best looks are often pretty, or we home in “flattering”-ness in knowing it’s not always a given from designers and the high-high street brands on the red carpet.

16. Jas February 5, 2019 at 6:40 am #

Amy (great colour and those earrings!), Yalitza (everything), Melissa (she looks hot!) and Laura (best in ages).

17. Lashae February 5, 2019 at 5:33 am #

Yalitza’s Prada dress reminds me so much of Rachel McAdams Prada she wore to this luncheon in 2016.

This is probably the best I’ve seen of Melissa McCarthy, the dress fits her great.

Also this is also the best I’ve seen of Glenn Close this awards season though I don’t care for the shoes.

Everyone else looks okay to meh.

18. JHH February 5, 2019 at 5:05 am #

Amy, Laura, and Glenn are flashing the same smile/grimace. The second row looks great even with the grimaces. Marina’s dress looks like a nightgown and Linda’s looks like a something a high schooler would wear. Grimace and all, Amy looks great. This is my first no for Regina in a long time — too twee. I don’t like anything about Yalitza’s look neck down — I don’t find the dress very flattering on her and the shoes even though they are sandals are having a hoof-like effect.