Menu

07.05.18

Front Row @ Prada Resort 2019

So many pretties (and a few handsome lads, too) were at the Prada Resort 2019 presentation on Friday (May 4) in New York City. The fashion house’s quirky, colourful sensibilities made for quite the eclectic front row.

Lily Collins: Grunge met girly in this Prada Fall 2018 look that threw caution to the wind when it came to tradition. Tube top aside, the schoolgirl pleats and socks took on a punky spirit with the skirt’s techy, polyurethane-like overlay and tall platform shoes. The lilac eye shadow and fashion-face clutch looked like they belonged to another outfit—but it was all a part of the funky charms.

Poppy Delevingne: I don’t think this hot-pink hue of this chiffon and sequin Prada Fall 2018 frock could have gotten any hotter. But, Poppy wasn’t about to have a customary pretty-in-pink moment, as she added the edgy-goth oxblood lip and black heels to dramatize the effect.

Dianna Agron: Even though there was a lot going on with this dimensionally embellished, neon-floral-studded Prada Fall 2018 design, I didn’t find the chiffon-coated dress overbearing. I love how she let the frock be front and centre by keeping her styling on the basic side. The one bold slick of the coral lip was the perfect finish.

Chloë Sevigny: Chloë has never been one to turn her back on a challenging look, and here she showed the ultimate flower power in the trippy, head-to-toe print. I love the look’s ode to retro days, but I think her hair and makeup could have been a bit more youthfully inspired.

Alexa Chung: This look checked all the boxes on Alexa’s signature style—girlish with borrowed-from-the-boys undertones, quirky, and playful. I like how she somehow made sense of all these disparate pieces.

Nicola Peltz
: The cropped top may have been ready for summer, but the rest of this Prada Resort 2018 ensemble was giving me all the fall vibes—even if she barely wore the coat. Other than that, the look seemed a bit bland.

Sarah Paulson: Speaking of coats… this oversized statement piece certainly commanded the room, giving the actress’s look an air of intrigue—while simultaneously teasing of the purple dress beneath. Even with the embellished socks and platforms, Sarah owned the eccentric ensemble.

Gabrielle Union: I love this combo of aqua and pink on Gabrielle, but it was her gorgeous beauty look and knotted updo that really took the sporty-chic Prada Fall 2018 outfit to the next level.

Sasha Lane: Even if something about this purple-chiffon two-piece look seemed unfinished, it’s the flatform sandals that I think will be the biggest point of contention.

Ava DuVernay: Before she heads to Cannes as a jury member, Ava walked on the wide side in this leopard-print dress that was so sassy and sweet on her. I like the addition of the red cross-body bag to celebrate the smart red collar.

Dakota Fanning: Dakota created a more classic interpretation of this patterned dress, styling it with sleek sandals and a shoulder bag. Seafoam-green eye shadow to match the bottom of the skirt tied it all together.

Claire Danes: I was charmed by how Claire introduced an element of carefully considered sophistication here amidst the louder looks with this floral dress that grazed over her baby bump.

Violetta Komyshan: The basic slip dress got a Prada punch with a bit of embellishment here and there—and a pair of platforms.

Ansel Elgort: Even Ansel’s ensemble received an embellished boost with the studded man-bag. I love when a suit doesn’t take itself too seriously, and this one had reverse racing stripes to ensure a nod to the unconventional. I have to give it to him for really owning this twist on tailoring so well.

Tracee Ellis Ross: Also in that bright, dubble-bubble pink, the actress didn’t look like she had a care in the world in this free-spirited frock. The colour was a delight on her; and perhaps the sneakers wouldn’t be a surprise. But, they still seemed like the oddball out (if there is such a thing with a Prada look).

Dane DeHaan: Also indulging in the progressive character of Prada menswear, Dane was a cool customer in this seafoam bomber and patterned shirt. He even pulled off the yellow-soled sneakers.

Selena Gomez: The lace undoubtedly added a sensual, boudoir appeal to Selena’s look. But, at the same time, it seemed a bit dated. I do credit her funky frames for bringing back some modern spunk.

Katherine Langford: Offering her own interpretation on the sartorial trend, Katherine combined her menswear-informed pieces with a bustier and white T-shirt. However, part of me wishes she had just skipped the slightly rumpled tee.

Jonah Hill:
Between the jacket’s boxiness, the Hawaiian luau shirt, and the blinding white shoes, this look was giving off throwback vibes that needed an upgrade.

Uma Thurman: Not content to get caught up in the sea of brash colours and intrepid embellishment, Uma donned a sheer lace dress that was actually lovely in its one-note nature.

Credit: BFA Courtesy of Prada

Priyanka Chopra's Gianvito Rossi Helmut Mules

Priyanka Chopra’s Gianvito Rossi Helmut Mules

2018 GLAAD Media Awards

2018 GLAAD Media Awards

19 Responses to Front Row @ Prada Resort 2019

1. Amy May 7, 2018 at 11:43 pm #

The amount of bad looks here is amazing. Looks like a Forever 21 meets Nasty gal meets rock lineup. Seriously
    Poppy loos lovely but her shoes are lame, same for Dakota
    Gabrielle looks really cool, so does Alexa

2. pinksugar May 7, 2018 at 5:18 pm #

Poppy, DIanna, Dakota, Claire,Uma, and Tracee all look good. But you know it’s a questionable event when Paulson can’t pull off a look.

3. Pheephee May 7, 2018 at 5:15 pm #

O my. These are mostly very bad.
    Umas is passable but completely forgettable. Ansel looks interesting.

Poppys makeup ages her tremendously.
    The clothes range from meh to mostly unbelievably ugly.

4. Original meme May 7, 2018 at 2:24 pm #

so much fug in one place. these are all awful. dreadful

5. Lara May 7, 2018 at 1:05 pm #

Tracee, Uma. Claire (minus the mom-hair).
    Otherwise this post wins the award for the most horrendous looks in a single location for 2018.

6. Christine May 7, 2018 at 11:59 am #

Prada is horrible aside from the few custom gowns.

Ansel, Uma and Dakota look good but the rest look awful

7. Maria F. May 7, 2018 at 10:57 am #

i wanted to say that you would have to pay me to wear any of these outfits, but then I realized, that indeed, they do get paid…

8. james May 7, 2018 at 10:57 am #

Uma, Ava and Claire are the only one who don’t look like they tried hard! The rest is beyond AWFUL! Although, I don’t dislike Chloe’s look either.

9. Lashae May 7, 2018 at 10:26 am #

So many nominees for WDOTY (especially Sarah Lane, Lily Collins, Poppy Delevingne and Dianna Agron)

The only looks I like are Ava DuVernay and Claire Danes

10. charlotte May 7, 2018 at 5:26 am #

Wait a minute….Ansel Elgort was carrying a Man-bag???? THAT IS A MAN BAG?
    I thought he looked like one of those husbands who carry their wives purses at the mall.

• Martin May 7, 2018 at 9:06 am #

I’m all for men wearing whatever the hell kind of bag they want on the red carpet, but Ansel’s bag is definitely from Prada’s women’s Cahier collection. And because of that, I actually love that he carried it.

I didn’t find much to love among this particular front row – most of the looks are just too heavy on Miuccia’s “ugly chic” aesthetic. The mixed print on Dakota’s dress is lovely and quite striking though.

Not sure whether Fashion Critic is running a WDOTY for the men this year, but if she is I believe that Jonah Hill has the award in the bag with that heinous look.

• charlotte May 7, 2018 at 12:15 pm #

Honey,don’t get me wrong,I have no problem with men carrying whatever bag they want, I was merely questioning if that was a man bag or not.
        I’ve seen a woman carry the exact same bag the other day in Manhattan.

• Martin May 7, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

Absolutely on the same page as you, charlotte. I saw the same bag in Sydney last week as well!

11. charlotte May 7, 2018 at 5:22 am #

Lord,where should I even begin?
    Poppy looked so scary with That makeup
    Selena Gomes’ grandma called and want her dress back.

overall, a very ill-dressed event with rare exceptions like Dianna Agron and Dakota Fanning

12. Nat39 May 7, 2018 at 3:38 am #

Ansel is stepping it up fashionwise. I think Dianna Agron pulls off her dress, only would’ve preferred a more delicate sandal instead. Dakota looks nice.

13. Caroline May 7, 2018 at 2:55 am #

Most of these looks are a mess. Uma is my favorite here.

14. JHH May 7, 2018 at 2:14 am #

Everything here is awful and screams fashion victim, except maybe Claire and Ana. Even Sarah is letting me down today.

• JHH May 7, 2018 at 4:23 am #

If you told me that the third row had escaped from some sort of facility and had grabbed random pieces of clothing to make their escape, I would believe you. Just look at Gabrielle Union or the shoes on the other two. Why? And, why the aging awful makeup on Poppy?

15. Mimi May 7, 2018 at 2:03 am #

Poppy is my favorite here, but the lips and shoes ruin it for me. The dress is so cute though.