Nicki Minaj In Monique Lhuillier – 2012 American Music Awards

Nicki Minaj managed to find a gown as loud as her personality for the 2012 American Music Awards held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in California on Sunday evening.

She wore a gorgeous lime-green draped trumpet gown from Monique Lhuillier’s Resort 2013 collection.

The gown was styled with a stunning statement necklace and an equally OTT cocktail ring.

Curly blonde tresses, a different colour polish on each nail and her signature bright-pink lip colour completed her look.

With all the effort that Nicki went to to style this look, you would’ve thought that her stylist would’ve done some homework on this gown.

You may remember that Julie Bowen wore this same gown almost exactly two months ago to the 2012 Emmy Awards.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Ke$ha In Michael Costello – 2013 American Music Awards

Ke$ha In Michael Costello – 2013 American Music Awards

Gwen Stefani In Balmain - 2012 American Music Awards

Gwen Stefani In Balmain – 2012 American Music Awards

13 Responses to Nicki Minaj In Monique Lhuillier – 2012 American Music Awards

1. Odette November 19, 2012 at 02:03 #

Nikki’s stylist is Johnny Wujek, who also works with Katy Perry and Kate Mara.

Julie wore this gown to the EMMYS. The Emmys. A huge event. Not as big as the Oscars, but still huge.

Nikki looks tacky as always, whereas Julie looked classy albeit awkward as always.

Elegantly awkward is always better than trashy in my book.

Cant’ wait to vote for Julie Bowen in FC’s Who Wore It Better on this gown.

• mia November 19, 2012 at 03:20 #

I agree – i can’t wait for FC’s “Who Wore It Better” on this gown, as Julie’s look is fresh in my mind. and quite frankly – i’m disappointed in Nicki’s choice. I actually hate almost ALL her looks – but it’s always entertaining to see what crazy OTT outfit she comes up with.

this is just sad. and boring. and she looks crazy i that photo.

• Lara November 19, 2012 at 11:47 #

Nicki Minaj doesn’t strike me as the type of person who cares that someone wore something before she did, as long as she wears it the most outrageously. Mission accomplished.

• Hannah Williams November 19, 2012 at 21:36 #

Totally agree. In fact, I don’t like any of his clients’ (that you listed) styles at all. Paula PAtton wore basically the same gown almost exactly 10 months ago, too. Julie is my favourite fo all 3, the other two, especially Nicki, made it look cheaper than I’m sure it is.

2. Nat39 November 19, 2012 at 02:14 #

With Julie Bowen’s look still fresh in my memory, can´t possibly get excited about this one. Nikki´s styling is way ott and forced – the oversized accessories, the ott hair and makeup, her ott cheerful attitude …all reads buffoonery to me.

• lu November 19, 2012 at 15:46 #

3. Christine November 19, 2012 at 02:16 #

I actually prefer this dress on Nicki. It matches her loud persona. She rocks it much better than Julie.

4. Kathy November 19, 2012 at 02:19 #

She finally wears a classy gown, but she has to go and ruin it with that hair. Nicki is 10x worse than Rita Ora.

5. Angela November 19, 2012 at 02:22 #

I think Nicki works this piece better than Julie because Nicki has the confidence to own it, and it matches her image perfectly. Who can rock a neon green ANYTHING better than Nicki?

6. EmmaWoodhouse November 19, 2012 at 02:48 #

Due to the highlighter color, I’m not fond of the dress to start with–add Nicki’s tacky persona and the look is majorly awful. OTT just got reinvented.
    Plus–seriously, Julie Bowen wore this dress so recently that it took me less than a second to remember it.

7. Yeliz November 19, 2012 at 08:22 #

I don’t think that this gown suits her. Especially after we saw it on Julie.

8. Moxie November 19, 2012 at 15:15 #

Prefer Julie Bowen at the Emmys. Nicki’s hair is just not working for me and she has a few too many accessories.

9. admmgz November 19, 2012 at 17:26 #

I don’t think it looks too bad- actually, I thought it was sorta glammed up for her