Menu

April 28, 2020

Marion Cotillard’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks In Christian Dior

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior - 2009 'The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion' Met Gala

Marion Cotillard first came to our (or at least my) attention with her appearance in films like ‘La Vie En Rose,’ ‘Big Fish’ and ‘Inception.’

Her frequent presence on the international red carpet circuit saw her quickly land a contract with Dior in 2008, where she was go on to wear the brand until 2015.

Her last red carpet look in Dior came at the British Independent Film Awards.

Then, much to our surprise – and without any announcement – us eagle-eyed fashion watchers did a double take when the long-time Dior spokesperson showed up to her Cannes Film Festival opening night premiere of ‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ wearing a Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture dress.

I mean, it wasn’t a stretch to see Marion in Jean Paul Gaultier as she often wore other French designers; but being an ambassador on a global stage it was perplexing to say the very least.

It had been reported that new [at the time] creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri, wanted a newer, younger face for her reimagined brand.

Many of you were rejoicing the end of this era, mostly because you felt her non-Dior moments saw a more creative side to her style, or as many would put it…her “real style.”

Who can forget how she introduced the world to the sequin-loving Halpern

But it would be remiss of me not to point out that one of your least favourite looks from Marion was when wore Balmain and Ludovic de Saint Sernin during Cannes Film Festival last year.

Looking back over her style file, it’s clear that I could also do another one of these with Marion’s “not-so-great Dior moments”, and her “non Dior moments,” and that her best period in Dior was pre-2013 when she went from Magnifique To Tragique

1. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – 2009 ‘The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion’ Met Gala

Usually I only go back the last ten years as that is when I started this site, but I was really struggling to get to 10, so I included this pale pink strapless Dior dress Marion made her Costume Institute Gala debut in.  This look showed off her figure to perfection, and appeared made for her.

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior - 2010 Critic’s Choice Awards

2. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – 2010 Critic’s Choice Awards

I really loved the Parisian elegance of this Christian Dior look, even if I did feel that the necklaces were overkill at the time.

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – 2012 Met Gala

3. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – 2012 Met Gala

Before sheer dresses became a trend you all despised, Marion graced the 2012 Met Gala in this sensual number from the Dior Spring 2012 Haute Couture collection. I still wish she had kept the dramatic cape from the runway, but it took my breath-away nonetheless.

4. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Haute Couture – ‘De Rouille et D’Os’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

I adore everything about this Dior Haute Couture look.  It was regal, elegant; impossible to upstage.  The very embodiment of a Cannes Film Festival look.

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ London Premiere

5. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Haute Couture – ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ London Premiere

When it comes to Marion and Dior, this for me was a perfect marriage of Parisian elegance, and modernity.

I really wish this level had been maintained through-out, as this is easily my favourite look on this list.

6. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Haute Couture – Printemps Haussmann Christmas Illuminations

It’s not like me to have more than one black look in a list like this, unless I’m talking about Angelina Jolie of course, but the previous one was part navy.

Sometimes, simple is best.  Raf wasn’t known for his minimalist approach but this was look all about paying homage to Dior’s iconic Bar jacket.

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

7. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Haute Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

I know many of you weren’t the biggest fan of the Dior Raf era, but I would say this was also one of my favourites from Marion in Dior.

From the colour, to the billowing drape that took this into style-forward territory…what’s not to love?

Even on a night where Andrea Riseborough also wore yellow, Marion still stood out.

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – BAFTA Nominees Party

8. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – BAFTA Nominees Party

The statement necklace threw a lot of people off this look, but I feel like it gave the look a unique twist enabling her to tie in the bold red shoes.

This look would have been boring without those added accessories.

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – ‘Rust & Bone’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

9. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Haute Couture – ‘Rust & Bone’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

It was another case of the shoes saving the look for me.

10. Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – ‘Little Prince’ (‘Le Petit Prince’) Cannes Film Festival Premiere

This was probably Marion’s last glory moment in Dior Haute Couture at Cannes Film Festival.

Yes, the fit is a bit off, but conceptually this is beautiful.

Credit: Getty

, , ,

Emma Stone, Léa Seydoux and Alicia Vikander Star In Louis Vuitton's New Accessories Campaign

Emma Stone, Léa Seydoux and Alicia Vikander Star In Louis Vuitton’s New Accessories Campaign

Olivia Culpo's Ralph & Russo Chic Tie-Dye Quarantine Set

Olivia Culpo’s Ralph & Russo Chic Tie-Dye Quarantine Set

19 Responses to Marion Cotillard’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks In Christian Dior

1. Mius Avery May 1, 2020 at 10:06 am #

love the yellow one!

btw would u be interested in doing a restropective for Zoe Saldana (her style is so underrated!)

2. Lara April 29, 2020 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks for this FC. As a suggestion, can you put the year in each title so it’s easier to follow?

3. TeaAtTwo April 29, 2020 at 11:38 am #

The lighting at arrival and entrance staircase for Met Galas pre-2014 all look so dark. Marion’s 2012 Met gown looks nice, I think the hair lets the look down though.

4. Kat April 29, 2020 at 9:34 am #

I love look 5. Look 6 was okay. The rest weren’t my fave.

5. Mary April 29, 2020 at 8:49 am #

The way she was dropped by Dior and the whole conversation after at, left such a bitter taste in my mouth… Those are all great looks, but with 2 or 3 exceptions nothing special imo.

I used to love Marion’s style and posture so much, and now I sometimes wonder whether she just worked with the right people at the right time. She is a gorgeous woman of course, no doubt about that, but when it comes to fashion choices I haven’t been excited about her since before Dior if I’m being honest… Raf Simmons and her weren’t aways the best of matches.

• Saudin April 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm #

I think the people at Dior cared about her sooo much that they didn’t wanted her to suffer wearing MGC’s mediocre stuff so they let her go… Let’s see what they collaboration with Chanel brings….

6. pheephee April 29, 2020 at 2:16 am #

Wow. She sure doesn’t have many good looks. #5 & #7 are by far the best looks. Have always loved those two.
    the rest are mediocre at best

7. Tiger Nueng April 29, 2020 at 12:48 am #

My Top list is the yellow at the 2013 Bafta and I also always remember she in the blue black Dior at the 2009 Oscar dressed.

8. Bee April 29, 2020 at 12:33 am #

The dress at the Printemps Christmas illuminations looks lovely but it also looks like she might work at Printemps, perhaps a bit like workwear.

9. Memo April 29, 2020 at 12:27 am #

She really have a good moments with Dior, I also like her ‘Rust and Bone’ AFI Fest premiere & 2013 SAG Awards

10. Amy April 28, 2020 at 8:58 pm #

The dark Knight rises look is quintessential French chic. I love it.

11. Kate April 28, 2020 at 8:21 pm #

Marion’s Met Gala look from 2012 and her London premiere look to “The Dark Knight Rises” are my favorites. Catherine, I know you took a break during 2016 (we all missed you so much!), but I’m curious what your thoughts are on this look… Marion wore Christian Dior Couture to the Cannes Film Festival premiere “From the Land of the Moon” in 2016. It wasn’t my most favorite look from Cannes that year, but I remember loving the back of the dress.

• Catherine Kallon April 29, 2020 at 3:36 pm #

At first I was like meh…but then it became infinitely more interesting when you see if from the back.

• phee April 30, 2020 at 3:58 am #

oo. first time I have seen a back view! Makes it that much better. Thanks 🙂

12. Saudin April 28, 2020 at 7:42 pm #

The ultimate Dior ambassador…..

13. TeaAtTwo April 28, 2020 at 7:27 pm #

Her yellow 2013 Baftas look – J’adore. It’s in my top 20 or 30 looks of the decade even I wish she had gone sans necklace. The Dark Knight Rises premiere look is one of her best too. I really like the Dior pumps from that period.
    Her 2013 Golden Globes look is one I really liked too, it felt gorgeously understated. I think I would replace the last look for her 2015 Césars Film Awards, it felt like a nice combination of her quirky style while representing the brand, though again I wish she had lost the necklace. The red necklace at the Baftas Nominees party was a lovely addition to the look.

14. Elena April 28, 2020 at 7:10 pm #

Met 2009 😍
    She had some very good looks

15. TeaAtTwo April 28, 2020 at 5:41 pm #

Catherine – Will you be doing a Valentino Haute Couture wishlist? 🙂

16. Chris April 28, 2020 at 5:33 pm #

The 2013 BAFTAs look is amazing and the Dark Knight Rises premiere look is incredibly chic and well styled as well.

Besides those looks, I guess I’m just not the biggest fan of her style. Even since her Dior contract ended, I haven’t liked most of what she has worn (with the exception of the Halpern look and an Armani Privé look she wore in Cannes in 2017). I really like her as an actress and want to get excited by seeing her on a red carpet, but I don’t really most of the time.