Menu

January 27, 2020

2020 Grammy Awards Menswear Roundup

Menswear during awards season is no longer a boring array of black to midnight blue suits, especially not at the Grammys.

On Sunday, we got to see Billy Porter’s latest scene-stealing outfit, but here is a look at who else caught my eye on the night.

Quavo:  The rapper has attended this event in the past with his group, Migos, dressed in matching outfits.  But he was very much his own man wearing a red shiny suit decked out in tonal embellishment from Prada

John Legend:  Joining his gorgeous wife Chrissy Teigen on the red carpet, you’ll no doubt recognise the cut of his blazer, as it’s unique to Alexander McQueen.  We saw version of this on Brie Larson back in 2017, but I prefer the sharper pleats of John’s version.

Lil Nas X:  From the Medusa heads buttons to the iconic bondage-inspired leather harness, there was no question that this was a custom-made Atelier Versace fluorescent fuchsia look.  They say real men wear pink, because you’ve got to have a lot of guts to be able to pull it off, especially in fluro, which Nas does.  I don’t think the look needed the printed foulard at the wrist, but more is definitely more in this case.   John Hardy jewels completed his look.

Common: In one of two Dolce & Gabbana look on the night, the rapper was looking very dapper in this custom burgundy shawl lapel suit with matching crepe de chine shirt. Should he have gone full matchy with the shoes too?

Shaun Ross:  The model is known for serving dramatic looks on the red carpet, but this head-to-toe pearl look, was his own creation. Please read the back story and inspiration behind this creation on his Instagram.

Shawn Mendes:  There was another burgundy moment from Shawn Mendes who wore Louis Vuitton with Bvlgari jewels.  The unbuttoned white shirt adds a cool, fresh vibe to the autumnal hue, but does anyone wish he’d gone tonal like Common?

Orville Peck:  It looks like Billy Porter wasn’t the only one to opt for a fringed accent.  I’m not sure of the reasoning behind it, but I do like the with silver embroidered detailing on this Dior Men Fall 2020 grey shirt.

Tyler, the Creator:   The rapper looked ready to welcomes you to the Grand Dudapest Hotel.

Diplo:  Cowboys were taking over this red carpet, and Diplo did it in style thanks to Ralph Lauren Purple LabelDavid Yurman jewels completed his look.

Ben Platt:  ‘The Politician’ has a great sense of style.  I’m longing for another promo tour from him so we get to see more.   On this occasion he let this Balmain Fall 2020 harlequin embellished blazer do all the talking with a dazzling pair of  Jimmy Choo ‘Falcon’ oxford shoes completing the look.

Trevor Noah: If you were longing for something smooth, classic and timeless from this lineup, then Trevor has you covered.  The TV host completed his luxe look with David Yurman jewels.

Usher: Also in Balmain, my first reaction to this is why so bulky?  He could’ve taken the volume out of this look by removing the velvet sweater for a t-shirt.  David Yurman jewels and Giuseppe Zanotti loafers completed his look.

Credit: Getty

, , , ,

Alicia Keys In Atelier Versace - 2020 Grammy Awards

Alicia Keys In Atelier Versace – 2020 Grammy Awards

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2020 Grammy Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2020 Grammy Awards?

26 Responses to 2020 Grammy Awards Menswear Roundup

1. JohnM219 January 28, 2020 at 7:23 pm #

If Quavo’s suit was maybe half a size bigger, I would say Best Dressed.

2. Guest January 28, 2020 at 5:57 pm #

Orville is a gay country musician from LA, he always wears that mask or a similar one, it is kinda his thing and not exclusive to the look (has no specific meaning besides being his signature look)

• Guest January 28, 2020 at 9:39 pm #

Yes to all you said except he is not from Los Angeles. He is from Canada. I saw him live this past fall and he even wears it during performances. And by the way, he is fantastic live.

3. Guest January 28, 2020 at 9:47 am #

Ben Platt to me always has this senior citizen look,no matter what her wears?

4. Catarina_M January 28, 2020 at 9:14 am #

Common, for sure. And then Shawn Mendes.

5. Guest January 28, 2020 at 5:28 am #

When I look at this post and the one for the women, I have to say that on this occasion the men came out well ahead! Great to see this explosion of interesting men’s fashion on the red carpet over the past few years.

6. KseniaBradner January 28, 2020 at 12:56 am #

FC: it’s not widely known because he unfortunately isn’t widely known (Orville Peck is the best thing to happen to country with the grand exceptions of Yola and Kacey Musgraves), but Orville Peck always wears a mask. It allows him to feel more free: “I think that my mask helps eliminate pretense, and this idea of having to go onstage and perform as someone or something I’m not.”

Diplo (clean, restrained enough of the douche), John Legend (adventurous for him!), and Trevor (if it works…) are the best.

7. Guest January 28, 2020 at 12:14 am #

NGL I’m swooning over Diplo. The colour of Lil Nas X’s look is brilliant.

8. Phee phee January 27, 2020 at 11:43 pm #

Shawn Mendes, Common, Trevor are my three faves. The more classic looks got me.
    Although, I am a total sucker for Lil Nas’ bright pink suit. Its pure fun.
    I love Johns suit but I cant unsee those shoes now!
    Orville and Tyler I just dont get.

• Phee phee January 27, 2020 at 11:44 pm #

O and Shaun Ross’ pearl outfit…..got to appreciate the effort he took to make that outfit. Thats commitment!

• Kat January 28, 2020 at 12:59 am #

1 million percent agree

9. Guest January 27, 2020 at 10:43 pm #

Quavo’s my favourite here. I loved Brie’s suit but John looks so dapper in the suit, the shoe choice is very unfortunate.
    Lil nas x is camp and cheesy non conforming so the Grammys is a good event for it.
    I prefer Common’s tonal look to the Shawn’s white shirt.

10. Guest January 27, 2020 at 10:30 pm #

Unfortunately I do feel that Billy started to believe his own hype and is dressing rather clown-ish as of late.

The dressed male was James Blake in Yohji Yamamoto! Also love Legend’s McQueen suit.

11. Guest January 27, 2020 at 10:21 pm #

The men are killing it with the red suits this year. First Michael B. Jordan and now Quavo. Love it. Common and Sean are also doing well in red tones here though I am just as annoyed with Common for wearing D&G as I was with Lupita. I am a magpie so I love Orville’s shirt (the Lone Ranger mask is silly) and Usher’s jacket. Sadly though, Usher’s outfit is very unflattering. Agree with all the negative comments about John’s shoes. Lil Nas X continues to be fun on the red carpet. All in all, the guys here tended to be creative and I am here for that.

12. JR January 27, 2020 at 10:17 pm #

Billy Porters “scene stealing” look.
    Attention seeking more like.

13. Guest January 27, 2020 at 10:00 pm #

John looks great; my personal favorite for the men last night. I don’t mind the shoes.

14. Guest January 27, 2020 at 9:35 pm #

Was hoping to see BTS here. Saw them yesterday at the red carpet and they looked impecable. Quavo and Shawn are the only ones in this group that I like. The other ones meh

15. Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:19 pm #

Quavo caught my eye as well. The suit maybe shiny, but the slim fit works beautifully on him and the embellishments add a little extra for the event, and I like his sharp presentation with the simple black shirt. Common looking sharp as well. Nice color from him and Shawn Mendes.
    John ruined his look with the inexplicably big sole shoes.
    Lil Nas X deserves a shout-out for his bold pink look, it’s Grammys afterall, but I’m not a fan – pink cowboy with a harness (??) are we sure he’s going to Grammys even..
    Shaun Ross overloaded on pearls.

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 11:16 pm #

Tyler, the Creator looks funny, although I like how committed to the character he is, the suitcase and all lol.
      Don’t care for the rest of the cowboy crew.
      Trevor Noah – very neat, but boring. This is Grammys and I’m not craving anything standard/classic, we see enough.
      Usher looks like he’s wearing black velvet PJs with a jacket thrown over.
      Ben Platt – not the most standout, but nicely done.

16. Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:15 pm #

Lil Nas X needs his own tag, please! love him and his exploring fashion style

17. Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:10 pm #

Can we please discuss John shoes. Ugh they ruin the look

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:12 pm #

His shoes are too big, they ruin the look for me too.

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:35 pm #

Jesus christ why did u bring my attention to that? So horrible.
      I was loving his suit until saw those hideous shoes.

• Guest January 28, 2020 at 12:52 pm #

I have’t noticed it til you mentioned it and now I can unsee it. Happy? 😀

18. Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:08 pm #

Quavo is perfect! Swag from head to toe! 🙂

19. Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:07 pm #

I love John’s look. The fit’s perfect, it’s interesting without a hint of try-hard and he looks comfortable in it.