Menu

January 27, 2020

Billy Porter In Custom Baja East by Scott Studenberg – 2020 Grammy Awards

Posted by Rachel Watkins
Billy Porter In Custom Baja East by Scott Studenberg - 2020 Grammy Awards

Well, leave it to Billy Porter to shut down the red carpet with what will surely be one of the most talked-about ensembles of the night at the 2020 Grammy Awards on Sunday (January 26) in LA.

And, that’s exactly what he was going for here in a Look — with a capital L — that had the ‘Pose’ star channeling every ounce of disco-glam opulence, starting with the Baja East glittering jumpsuit and matching cropped jacket.

But, as glitzy as it was, it was the Sarah Sokol Millinery hat that really made the statement. The mechanical hat — the chandelier fringe moves in front of the face — is an amped-up continuation of the brand’s paparazzi-proof fringe bucket hats.

More dazzle came in the form of Alexis Bittar Jewelry — which was all fine and dandy, but those jewels were an afterthought to the look’s 70,000 hand-placed crystals.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , , ,

Priyanka Chopra In Ralph & Russo Couture - 2020 Grammy Awards

Priyanka Chopra In Ralph & Russo Couture – 2020 Grammy Awards

Sophie Turner In Louis Vuitton - 2020 Grammy Awards

Sophie Turner In Louis Vuitton – 2020 Grammy Awards

26 Responses to Billy Porter In Custom Baja East by Scott Studenberg – 2020 Grammy Awards

1. JohnM219 January 27, 2020 at 6:03 pm #

I actually don’t mind this, as it’s fun and it’s the Grammy’s.

I feel as though it’s a bit of “the boy who cried wolf.” No one’s going to celebrate these looks while he’s at Whole Foods, but the Grammy’s? I’m fully onboard.

2. Guest January 27, 2020 at 12:11 pm #

Perfect for the Grammys — campy, sparkly, OTT. Love the nails. That hat is a lot of fun, too. A nice pick-me-up.

3. Sharon M January 27, 2020 at 11:58 am #

Another costume. Meh.

4. Catarina_M January 27, 2020 at 9:52 am #

I like this for the neck down. And I love that spider. The makeup it’s just bad:did he really faked a mole in white?

5. Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:43 am #

I think the first few outfits we though, this has to be fashion, it’s that wild and interesting. I think we’re now starting to realise there’s no fashion to it, it’s just getting a bit tacky

6. Guest January 27, 2020 at 6:40 am #

I don’t even know what to make of this. Was tackiness an official theme at this year’s grammy?? Can someone tell this that if he tones it down a little and dresses because he likes it and not because of attention, he may actually look good. The blue suit and even the curtained hat would have made an amazing look but no, he had to spoil it with blingy jewels, blingy flairs,clutch and not to forge, the hideous makeup!

7. Guest January 27, 2020 at 6:01 am #

I dont get it on him. Just a little tone down i guess.

8. Guest January 27, 2020 at 5:27 am #

this is just stupid!!!!!!!

9. Guest January 27, 2020 at 2:24 am #

I’m over this.

10. Vizual Ninja January 27, 2020 at 1:45 am #

I think his antics are appropriate for the Grammy’s, this put a smile on my face. I preferred his look from the Clive Davis party, from a fashion perspective.

11. Claudia The Critic January 27, 2020 at 1:39 am #

Am I the only one who’s kind of over his attention seeking getups? Not digging the makeup here.

12. Guest January 27, 2020 at 1:26 am #

It’s Grammys, it’s who he is, and if I don’t look at it from the “menswear category” standpoint, then I have no complaints. I think the jumpsuit works well on him.

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:46 am #

It’s definitely not womanswear, no woman would put that on! Not even lady gaga

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 3:18 pm #

It’s “his own persona category”. I’m not a fan, but on the Grammys night it goes, and I’m going to disagree re: Lady Gaga. This is so much better done and more palatable than when Gaga goes crazy. This is showy, theatrical, but the jumpsuit actually looks good on him and he coordinated the rest of the look very well.

13. Guest January 27, 2020 at 1:25 am #

This is one of his best imo. I was getting bored by the Lady Gaga try-hard vibes for a while but for the Grammys it’s perfect.

14. KseniaBradner January 27, 2020 at 1:16 am #

Not my favorite, it’s tacky. Can’t Iris van Herpen, Ronald van der Kemp, Maison Margiela, Schiaparelli, Viktor & Rolf or Aganovich cook Billy something from their Couture? I’m tired of this kind of style. I want High Fashion from Billy, because I know he has it somewhere in him.

And before you say, ‘Oh those designers won’t dress him’ Iris van Herpen dressed Heidi Klum. And Billy is as visible and working in the industry as Jordan Roth. You’d be surprised how open some designers can be to dressing people, you often just have to put yourself in front of them.

• JR January 27, 2020 at 1:22 am #

I’m pretty sure none of the couture houses would want anything to do with him. He’s a joke, who makes a mockery of fashion with outfits like this.

• KseniaBradner January 27, 2020 at 1:26 am #

Couture houses have dressed people who are less employed, less impressive and historic than Billy Porter, so it’s possible. Not Chanel, but someone else, sure actually.

• JR January 27, 2020 at 1:42 am #

Maybe if he was doing something other than attempting to shock (which it doesn’t) and be the most outrageously dressed he might have had a chance.

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 8:48 am #

So right, they wouldn’t touch him, the shock of it’s gone and now it’s looking hideous

15. Phee phee January 27, 2020 at 1:05 am #

I love that spider! So fun.
    The whole outfit is fun. Im not sure “like” is the right word….
    Its fun. cheesy. the hat is hilarious. he looks very costumey but also not bad……?

16. Guest January 27, 2020 at 1:04 am #

I’m getting tired and bored of him and his attention seeking outfits.

It was fun at first but now it’s just tiring.

I like the hat

• Originalmeme January 27, 2020 at 1:17 am #

I agree. He’s tiresome.

• JR January 27, 2020 at 1:22 am #

I actually agree with Ruth on something! :-).
      He is beyond tedious and looks ridiculous.

17. MissCoco January 27, 2020 at 1:01 am #

Strong ice skating vibes but I love the hat and the spider bracelet.

• Guest January 27, 2020 at 1:28 am #