Menu

December 13, 2019 Runway To Red Carpet

Alicia Keys Wore Prabal Gurung To The 2019 Billboard Women In Music Event

Alicia Keys Wore Prada To The 2019 Billboard Women In Music Event

Alicia Keys attended the 2019 Billboard Women In Music event held at Hollywood Palladium on Thursday (December 12) in Los Angeles, California alongside Normani, Taylor Swift and Rosalía.

Much like last years event, the Grammy winner opted to wear a suit.

Unlike last year, Alicia opted to wear makeup.

I have no issue with her opting for a natural look, but I thought that following a makeup free photo shoot back in 2016, she was inspired to go makeup-free indefinitely saying, “the strongest, most empowered, most free, and most honestly beautiful that I have ever felt.”

I guess something has changed because I see cat-eyes and a pretty lilac lip to complement her Prabal Gurung Spring 2020 suit.

The fit of the suit is oversized, but thankfully it doesn’t overwhelm.

There was a time when an oversized blazer was only worn on your first day of school, as your mum wanted that blazer to last at least two terms before you grew out of it.

Now, celebs like Lady Gaga and Rihanna are showcasing their penchant for oversized, structured tailoring, but here Alicia puts her own stamp on suiting by keeping the satin bolero we saw on the runway.

I’m buying into this bolero because of the sharp colour contrast. Had it been the same colour, it wouldn’t have had the same impact.

The only odd thing for me here, is her brown Casadei ‘Blade’ pumps.

Thoughts?

Prabal Gurung Spring 2020

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , , , ,

Keri Russell Shows Love To Saint Laurent On Jimmy Fallon & Mark Cross Grand Opening

‘Little Women’ Paris Premiere

‘Little Women’ Paris Premiere

18 Responses to Alicia Keys Wore Prabal Gurung To The 2019 Billboard Women In Music Event

1. Paola102 December 16, 2019 at 5:16 pm #

Nice colour but that’s it. the scrunchy and brown shoes are a no.
    I don’t understand the bashing on this….I did notice that she is wearing make-up when she had said she won’t…so what??? it’s still not a ton and she looks lovely with or without.
    Also, when it comes to suiting….why does it have to be about a political stance! Pants are more confortable to begin with..and it’s just a trend…in a few months it might die down. And if it doesn’t, then we have more choices.

2. Guest December 13, 2019 at 10:38 pm #

Is just me or anyone also sees 2 giant purple seahorses on her arms?

3. Guest December 13, 2019 at 7:07 pm #

No to the bolero, the tacky bra, the lack of a top, the too long pants and she’s not tall enough for this suit.

4. Guest December 13, 2019 at 5:10 pm #

I like the suit. I’m don’t get the brown shoe choice though. The bolero looks like a giant scrunchy but it works and it adds quirky pizazz expected for a music event.

5. Guest December 13, 2019 at 4:44 pm #

Of course she is wearing makeup. Most of these artists are hypocrites because they know the industry requires them to look good and as unrealistically beautiful as possible. I don’t think she can’t afford NOT wear make up in the industry she is in. Celebrities are superficial human beings like the rest of us ?

• Guest December 13, 2019 at 5:43 pm #

Gurl i thought I was the only one who thought no make up wearing alicia keys was a scam.

• Guest December 14, 2019 at 5:19 pm #

She is a phoney. She would not have dared to start her boring empowering movement when she had intense acne issues at the beginning of her career. She even signed a contract with Clearasil alongside Puff Daddy. Always roll my eyes at this one. That being said, she is a very beautiful woman with gorgeous natural hair.

6. KseniaBradner December 13, 2019 at 4:22 pm #

I’m not crazy about the matte color or the design but this is fine. The shoes are baffling.

7. Phee phee December 13, 2019 at 4:12 pm #

No. She is missing a shirt. The bra thing is just cheesy.
    The color of the suit is great. I dont even mind this particular oversize look on her, as its not overwhelming.
    But that bolero is ugly and messes up the look. The shoe color makes no sense at all.

• Guest December 13, 2019 at 4:50 pm #

What you said exactly.

• Catarina_M December 13, 2019 at 5:23 pm #

Everything you said.

8. Guest December 13, 2019 at 4:04 pm #

Another suit

Women in music event and every woman at this event is wearing pants/masculine wear further promoting the ideology that being masculine is powerful and being feminine is weak

• Guest December 13, 2019 at 4:36 pm #

I don’t usually agree with you on most but you hit the nail on this one. Today’s feminism seems to be about ” if you want to be taken seriously by men, try to look as masculine or less feminine as possible “. Which makes no sense to me because the biggest feminists all wore skirts and dresses. Marie Curie, Henriet Tubman, Simone Veil, and so on.

• Guest December 13, 2019 at 4:49 pm #

Few/almost none of women are wearing suits exclusively rather wearing dresses on other occasions.
      Also one could argue that women having been wearing little dresses for ages and now wearing pants (when they want to) is part of not being boxed in by gendered expectation of what’s an appropriate red carpet look.

• Guest December 13, 2019 at 5:41 pm #

Taylor swift wore pants
      Maggie Rogers wore pants
      Normani wore a pant suit
      Lauren from 5th harmony wore a pant suit
      Alicia keys wore pants suit
      Jamelia jamil wore a pant suit
      Rapper rhapsody wore pants

I’m not saying women shouldn’t wear pants but this ideology that for u to be taken seriously as a woman u have to wear a pant suit/masculine clothing Is wrong.

Even women in politics, always wearing pants, promoting that ideology that masculinity is strong and femininity is weak. I’m not saying they should wear loud shocking colours, u can still look sharp and powerful in feminine looking clothing .

• Guest December 13, 2019 at 11:47 pm #

AOC wears dresses and skirts at work events and she’s prime future presidential candidate.
      Pants suits might be a trend that’s timely for gender, identity and equality conversation but part of that is that people are multi-faceted and don’t have to stick to one box.
      Most of them have rocked mini skirts recently. They’re being bosses in skirts or pants. Plus, if excluding pants suits to show a strong and female message than that’s also a limiting ideology.

• Guest December 14, 2019 at 3:22 am #

Is AOC the only female politician in the world? I knew somebody was gonna mention AOC. Use ur head for once. U clearly know what I’m talking about but ur just too strong headed to admit it.

• Guest December 14, 2019 at 8:30 am #

Never said that she was only female politician. Betsy Devos, Condoleeza Rice, Theresa May et al have all worn skirts during work events. Your myopic eyes must have just ignored those facts for sake of your rubbish argument.