Menu

November 19, 2019 Runway To Red Carpet

Kim Kardashian In Vintage Christian Dior - American Influencer Awards

In the last year, Kim Kardashian West’s love of vintage fashion has gone into overdrive.

She’s cycled through some of the greatest moments in ’90s fashion.

Most recently she wore Versace to the 2019 People’s Choice Awards, and last night (November 18), at the 2nd Annual American Influencer Awards in Hollywood, California, she tapped into yet another unforgettable fashion statement of the era wearing a John Galliano for Christian Dior Fall 1997 dress.

As you can see from the runway, a few tweaks have been made, most notably the length, the removal of the beaded neckline and crosses which were accented to the bodice.

This dress was so iconic, that it was actually on display at Metropolitan Museum of Art during the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ exhibit.

Kim Kardashian In Vintage Christian Dior - American Influencer Awards

I do love the way Kim has modified this look to suit her style with the draped skirt.  The original version wouldn’t have worked for her at all.

The only downside to this look are those hideous thonged heels.

Why are they a thing?  Who is responsible for this trend?

Kim Kardashian In Vintage Christian Dior - American Influencer Awards
John Galliano for Christian Dior Fall 1997

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , ,

Jennifer Hudson Was Brilliant In Blue For The An Evening Honoring Leonard Lauder

2019 Guggenheim International Gala Presented by Dior

2019 Guggenheim International Gala Presented by Dior

31 Responses to Kim Kardashian Rocks A New Vintage Look For The 2nd Annual American Influencer Awards

1. Guest November 21, 2019 at 2:11 pm #

When I saw her ig post, I couldn`t believe those shoes were Manolos. I think she tried to imitate the runway look, but girl those shoes are awful.

2. Guest November 20, 2019 at 5:07 pm #

Dear God, do NOT ruin 90’s Galliano !

3. Guest November 19, 2019 at 6:56 pm #

Her shoes look so uncomfortable…

4. Guest November 19, 2019 at 4:37 pm #

I think she looks great minus the shoes. She needs to keep things simple like that. It’s not always necessary to show everything off and she is a very attractive woman. This is the case of being demure without phoning in. I like it a lot.

5. Los_NGLS November 19, 2019 at 3:30 pm #

must be nice to be a millionaire many many times over. I find it very hard to believe Galliano was making things in 1997 that would fit Kim’s current body. So not only did she have to find a vintage piece but she had to find one in her size, or in a size that could be altered to her proportions.
    That is something!

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 5:22 pm #

Ha, yet so many celebs can’t get a tailor to take up their overly long pants/dresses a few inches so they’re not sweeping the floor as they walk.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 7:45 pm #

My goodness, what size do you think Kim is? At most, she would have needed a size 10 to alter to fit her her curves. Even Galliano made dresses in size 10 in 1997. In fact that is a very easy size to find on the vintage market.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 11:11 pm #

Cant? Don’t want to because it’s a statement/choice.

• Los_NGLS November 20, 2019 at 6:32 pm #

No clue what size she is, but her body is rather cosmetically altered, so who knows how those proportions translate.

6. Phee phee November 19, 2019 at 2:43 pm #

The dress is beautiful and she looks great,
    But those shoes!!! What a horrid choice.

7. Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:22 pm #

Such a gorgeous color, and I love the slit but given the controversy with her shapewear line, I find her wearing this style of dress kind of weird. And don’t get me started on those shoes…

8. Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:20 pm #

The shoes kill the look. Dress is pretty.

9. KseniaBradner November 19, 2019 at 1:34 pm #

The shoes show how obsessed with trends Kim is. The shoes do a disservice to the dress. She needs to resist temptation and just honor the dress. The dress is ruined by those shoes.

10. Catarina_M November 19, 2019 at 1:21 pm #

I can’t take my eyes of those awful shoes, is all I can see. It ruins what could have been a great look from Kim.

11. Guest November 19, 2019 at 1:04 pm #

The dress is great. The shoes are horrible.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 7:46 pm #

At this point, she has probably worn every type of shoe there is so she is going for these horrible ones to break up the monotony. The dress looks great on her.

12. Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:58 pm #

The shoes are hideous and the pose below the par of Yasmeen Ghauri (does Kim choose dresses specifically modelled by her or just a coincidence?) but I do like the dress on her. I hope a version from runway still exists. I wonder if it’s just a copy from the runway rather than the actual dress from the runway.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards November 19, 2019 at 1:08 pm #

“I wonder if it’s just a copy from the runway rather than the actual dress from the runway.”

I wondered the same for a moment. It is very possible. But it would be easy to modify considering the shape of the stock image.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 1:24 pm #

It would be slightly sad if the originals were being significantly altered. There might future exhibitions and retrospectives.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 1:36 pm #

It would be very sad to alter any iconic dress. If it doesn’t fit, you shouldn’t wear it.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 8:56 pm #

Why not? It is a dress. Is it not meant to be worn? Don’t “regular” folks routinely alter “regular” clothes? Geez… we take this thing called fashion way too seriously at times. Let the woman alter the dress if she wants to wear it.

13. _Hannah_ November 19, 2019 at 12:57 pm #

Ankles up, she looks really good. Bit squished, as usual, but good nontheless.

14. Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:48 pm #

Why is she allowed to modify an iconic dress. The dress would have to be taken apart and remade to fit her huge butt. And she looks like an alien.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:57 pm #

I don’t think she modified it. She just got a different version of the dress.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 8:58 pm #

Why not? What makes a dress iconic and unable to be worn by anyone or – god forbid- altered to fit? If she is “allowed” to get the dress, why on earth should she not tailor it to fit her?

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 9:02 pm #

It irks me when people’s obvious biases show. If Rosie Huntington-Whiteley got this dress and altered in the same way that Kim did, everyone would cry out about how genius she is fo “re-imagining” an “iconic” look. I hold no brief for Kim Kardashian West, but please at least try to be fair. Actually, never mind, cause I know that will never happen.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 11:59 pm #

I’m of the opinion that iconic vintage dresses should be preserved. Minor modifications, I can see. I’d be horrified if someone took an original McQueen and changed it dramatically to suit them. It’s my opinion. I respect yours so please do me the same me.

maybe she’ll buy Diana’s iconic dress she wore dancing with Travolta and mess that up too.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 11:59 pm #

i wouldn’t.

15. MissHebble November 19, 2019 at 12:22 pm #

This colour looks fantastic with her hair and skin tone. I agree that the modification makes it more “Kim”. I’m not usually a fan but this is okay!

• MissHebble November 19, 2019 at 12:23 pm #

Apart from the shoes!!!

16. CharlotteLG November 19, 2019 at 12:08 pm #

The dress works on her but the shoes are hideous!
    They ruin the look.