Menu

October 29, 2019 Runway To Red Carpet

Heidi Klum Wore Iris van Herpen Haute Couture To The 2019 Angel Ball

Heidi Klum and Tom Kaulitz attended the 2019 Angel Ball held at Cipriani Wall Street on Monday (October 28) in New York City.

Having spent a lot of time talking to brands and PRs, I know that they can both be very picky about who they loan their clothes to.

And this makes perfect sense, as you want the person wearing your clothes to be best representation of your vision.

So, when I saw Heidi Klum in this Iris van Herpen Fall 2019 Haute Couture I was baffled.

We’ve had Gwendoline Christie, Eva Green, Tilda Swinton, Lady Gaga, Madisin Rian, Danai Gurira, Cara Delevingne, and then Heidi Klum?!?!?

You may feel that is being very snobby, Heidi Klum isn’t in the same category as those women in terms of unique, innovative style.

You’ve only got to look at Heidi in this dress, and the way she’s styled her hair with this piece to see that I’m right, she can’t pull this off.

It looks like a sack on her, as it doesn’t sit right.

Iris van Herpen Fall 2019 Haute Couture

, , , , ,

Lena Dunham's Christopher Kane Rubberist-Print Sleeveless Satin Dress

Lena Dunham’s Christopher Kane Rubberist-Print Sleeveless Satin Dress

Sienna Miller's Pleated Plissé  For SCAD Savannah Film Festival

Sienna Miller’s Pleated Plissé For SCAD Savannah Film Festival

28 Responses to Heidi Klum Wore Iris van Herpen Haute Couture To The 2019 Angel Ball

1. Guest October 31, 2019 at 7:25 pm #

It’s really the hair and makeup not lifting the look (and preconceived notions- she was a model after all so why not?). In all honesty, the dress isn’t that great compared to others and really, it looks lifeless in the runway pic too? It’s hanging off Heidi because it’s laying like that to begin with.

2. Sharon M October 30, 2019 at 12:39 pm #

No. And I don’t like the dress…too much of a costume, as are their other dresses. Runway pieces, yes.

3. Guest October 29, 2019 at 11:44 pm #

I kinda want to defend her here. I don’t like this but I don’t hate it like many of you do. This gown is just not for her, but it isn’t that tacky compared to many of her normal looks. The hair is bad here for sure, and that’s the major problem.
    To be honest, even in her prime days as a model, she’s more a VS angel or Sports Illiustrated type, she’s never a high fashion one as she lacks the IT.
    It’s not surprising that she can’t do this justice, but I don’t find it to be super tacky or sth either.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 30, 2019 at 6:52 am #

For me it’s not about hating. It more that she’s not the right person to sell this dress/brand/designer/style

• Guest October 30, 2019 at 3:41 pm #

I know what you mean FC. I was referring to some replies saying this being super tacky or sth. I just don’t find it to be that bad. But she just cannot sell this gown, and that’s for sure. It’s a shame she’s a beautiful woman but always has a a questionable style.

4. Guest October 29, 2019 at 7:47 pm #

I think most of the problem is the hair! It would have looked so much better all pulled back. I also think the black background of the red carpet is not letting the dress shine! On the runway photo the background is all white and we are able to see the patterns of the garment. I do love Heidi though – she’s a great host on PR.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 30, 2019 at 6:53 am #

I agree with all you points and the hair and background

5. Guest October 29, 2019 at 7:11 pm #

I am so sad because I love the designer but this is a WDOTY contender for me. Heidi did this SO wrong. From her hair and makeup and the fit, wow, horrible.

6. BabyZsaZsa October 29, 2019 at 5:59 pm #

Question for FC and other insiders: This is so baffling (because it is SO bad, especially compared to other amazing ambassadors for the brand) …. is there any chance Heidi simply got the dress herself (i.e. this wasn’t endorsed by the IvH team? Just curious!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 30, 2019 at 6:59 am #

I would say that it’s highly unlikely that she purchased the dress. It’s Couture. It’s a new design. And celebrities don’t buy clothes, especially the one-time use dresses they wear on the red carpet.

Unless you are a client I would assume there is only one of each of these dresses.

It’s not like ready to wear were there is more than one piece in existence.

7. Phee phee October 29, 2019 at 4:40 pm #

Nope doesn’t work on her at all. the hair is a mess. the dress does nothing good for her.

8. Guest October 29, 2019 at 4:11 pm #

Newp. Heidi doesn’t have what it takes to wear this gorgeous design. She pretty much turns everything into tacky town.

9. Los_NGLS October 29, 2019 at 3:23 pm #

I want to applaud her efforts for stepping out of her Heidi box, but this dress just doesn’t work.

It very much looks like a sack on her, and I’m not sure what the fabric is, but also looks like they forgot/failed to steam it.

10. Paola102 October 29, 2019 at 3:07 pm #

I looked at other pictures online to see if it’s this photo, or the way she is standing, or the fact that her husband is in the photo with her. But no, she is not wearing it well or giving it justice at all! The beauty look is not helping elevate the look either.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 30, 2019 at 6:50 am #

I did the same thing. I looked at every single picture and they were all bad

11. Guest October 29, 2019 at 3:05 pm #

Damn, first woman to look horrible in IVH.
    Even rita ora managed to look good when she wore IVH.

This dress looks like shiny trash bags on Heidi.
    I’m more interested in her boyfriend.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 30, 2019 at 6:51 am #

My thoughts exactly

• Guest October 30, 2019 at 6:08 pm #

Husband, and where do live?

12. Guest October 29, 2019 at 2:57 pm #

What the what?!!? No, just…no….

13. Guest October 29, 2019 at 1:50 pm #

You totally nailed it. She is so off brand for them. And thinking about the magnificent Gwendoline and then HK gives me the shudders.

14. Guest October 29, 2019 at 1:57 pm #

Ok Ok…. she could have made it made it egregious by overcooking it with a necklace and bracelet…. just saying

15. CharlotteLG October 29, 2019 at 1:47 pm #

She manages to make a IVH dress looks tacky!

16. Guest October 29, 2019 at 1:45 pm #

Though for Heidi herself, I give her some applause for not picking another princess, Vegas or all-about-the-boobs gown.

• Guest October 29, 2019 at 10:47 pm #

although I think this is one of those dresses that looks like it is dragging the boobs down. Then you do tend to look there first. I think it is okay and probably looks better in other pics. HK & TK look happy.

17. KseniaBradner October 29, 2019 at 1:38 pm #

I totally agree with FC. There is ALWAYS politics and hierarchies of who can wear what and when. This is a huge misstep for Iris van Herpen. Karl Lagerfeld famously shaded Heidi: “I don’t know Heidi Klum. She was never known in France.” I’m sorry, but Heidi’s tackiness remains.

18. Catarina_M October 29, 2019 at 1:37 pm #

The dress doesn’t shine (as it should) on Heidi. And the hair doesn’t help at all.

19. sueno October 29, 2019 at 1:37 pm #

This was pretty much unnecessary and unfortunate combination.

20. _Hannah_ October 29, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

I am always surprised how bad she can look sometimes. She’s such a beautiful, energetic woman with a great body. And she cannot sell such a great dress. What a shame.