Menu

October 22, 2019 Runway To Red Carpet

2019 InStyle Awards Red Carpet Roundup

2019 InStyle Awards

Here is a roundup from the rest of the looks which hit the red carpet at the 2019 InStyle Awards on Monday (October 21) in Los Angeles, California.

Laura Harrier: My first feeling was déjà vu, but that can’t be the case as actress usually wears Louis Vuitton, but this gorgeous two-piece hails from Brandon Maxwell’s Spring 2020 collection.  The mint green sandals kept this look fresh.

Nina Dobrev:  Those of you who don’t like the PJ trend might want to look away now. Cong Tri presented the most luxe pair of satin separates for Spring 2020 with the draped detail on the hip setting this look apart.

Amandla Stenberg: There may be several different theories as to whether Amandla pulled off this Gucci Fall 2019 look.  I would say yes; with that being mostly down to the styling.  This wasn’t a black pumps and clutch kinda dress.  The hair helps too. Maya Brenner and Nancy Newberg jewels completed her look.

Brandon Maxwell Spring 2020
Cong Tri Spring 2020
Gucci Fall 2019

Storm Reid:  There weren’t many gala style gowns at this event, but Storm was in great company with Kiki Layne.  The ‘Euphoria’ star wore a custom Mulberry halter neck feather gown in a fresh mint green hue.

Ellen Pompeo: I kinda wish the one-sleeve Martin Grant Resort 2020 jumpsuit was in a rich colour like green.  I’m not the biggest fan of this gold colour on Ellen. Stephen Webster jewels completed her look.

Lake Bell:  On the other hand, red has always been a great colour for Lake.  This Sies Marjan Spring 2020 dress is sensational.  From the colour to the draped details, this was easily one of my favourites from this event.

Martin Grant Resort 2020
Sies Marjan Spring 2020

Dove Cameron: This flounced hem Alice McCall Resort 2020 dress is perfectly suited to Dove’s effervescent style.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus:  It was great to see the actress wearing something a lot different in this metallic Brandon Maxwell Spring 2020 dress, but I found the hair and makeup terribly aging. Fernando Jorge jewels completed her look.

Janet Mock:   Rosie Assoulin makes some intriguing pieces, and this Resort 2020 look is one of them.  I feel like I shouldn’t like the summer top with the black ball skirt, but somehow I love the high contrast of the two.

Brandon Maxwell Spring 2020
Rosie Assoulin Resort 2020

Judith Light:  The actress always plays her part, and she stood out once again wearing an Badgley Mischka jewel-tone mosaic print column gown.

Hunter Schafer:  This Rick Owens Fall 2019 oxblood gown is highly sophisticated, but I love the twist with the platform boots, which sits well with Hunter’s alternative style.

Jameela Jamil:  There is a lot for the British actress to contend with when it comes to this Prabal Gurung Spring 2020 feather bustier gown.  The first is, “where do I place my hands?” Thankfully she took her cue from the runway.

Rick Owens Fall 2019
Prabal Gurung Spring 2020

Christy Turlington Burns: The model tends to stick to dark colour on the red carpet, so this shimmering Marc Jacobs Fall 2019 turtleneck green dress styled with a red animal print clutch is a real treat.

Amber Valletta:  This leather Loewe Spring 2020 tank dress looks a lot more interesting in the right light.

Adria Arjona: The actress didn’t follow the dress, dress code.  Her MSGM Fall 2019 suit may have got lost on this red carpet has it not been for the glitzy 80s-inspired twist with the crystal-embellishments.

Marc Jacobs Fall 2019
Loewe Spring 2020
MSGM Fall 2019

Tommy Dorfman: The actor wore a front bib shirt and pants from the Sies Marjan Spring 2020 collection. Is it me, or did this not translate so well off the runway?  Perhaps it’s just the positioning of Tommy’s hands that is throwing things off.

Sophia Bush:  The actress was as gorgeous as ever in this yellow Markarian Spring 2019 dress, with the styling taking this keyhole piece up several notches. Sophia Webster Freya sandals completed her look.

Sies Marjan Spring 2020

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Zendaya Coleman's Givenchy Haute Couture Sophisticated Look For The 2019 InStyle Awards

Zendaya Coleman’s Givenchy Haute Couture Sophisticated Look For The 2019 InStyle Awards

Queen Letizia of Spain Takes Center Stage At The Enthronement Ceremony Of Emperor Naruhito

17 Responses to 2019 InStyle Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. KseniaBradner October 24, 2019 at 7:14 pm #

Laura Harrier’s style is much simpler and chicer than Louis Vuitton. Her beauty shines through when she’s not wearing LV.

2. Guest October 23, 2019 at 11:41 am #

I am obsessed with Jameela’s look. She looks absolutely gorgeous. I love Storm’s as well, so chic!

3. Guest October 23, 2019 at 6:36 am #

My 2 cents…As great as laura harrier looks, I think Brandon Maxwell needs to do some rethinking of their runway presentation. How would someone be able to look better than bella hadid in full glam wearing the same look. I would reconsider buying a look if I know a supermodel in regular day styling already looks 3000X better in it.

4. Jess Mara October 23, 2019 at 12:49 am #

Cant really find any amongst the lot that I like – they all look either terrible, unflattering or poorly styled.
    Sophia Bush is probably the only one that I’ll give a pass too.

• Paola102 October 23, 2019 at 1:55 pm #

I am trying to like one of the outfits…no luck.

• Jess Mara October 24, 2019 at 2:22 am #

I know right – and they all have stylists and money (or connections) to get the best runway looks. Im constantly amazed!!

5. Guest October 22, 2019 at 8:31 pm #

That red dress is gorgeous on the model, not so much on Lake. The Rick Owen dress is good but those boots are hideous.

6. Guest October 22, 2019 at 8:20 pm #

Lake and Adria are my favourites also Amandla for creative styling even the stacked pumps work here.
    I liked Nina’s look because it’s the most playful look we’ve seen from her in a while but more that I look back at it, I only like the colour and waist detail. It looks a a bit sloppy fit wise and the PJ vibe is off putting.
    If Tommy’s top didn’t look so rumpled and he had worn boots than I may have been on board with his outfit.

7. Phee phee October 22, 2019 at 3:08 pm #

There isn’t one single look I like here. They are either outright bad or unflattering or both.
    But like the other commenters I cannot see the turlington, valletta, arjona looks….so maybe those ones have something promising.

8. Vizual Ninja October 22, 2019 at 2:56 pm #

I really like Laura here, and that’s it really. I like the colour on Nina but it looks too big.

9. Guest October 22, 2019 at 2:56 pm #

I can’t see C. Turlingron, A. Valletta and A. Arjona looks. ?

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 22, 2019 at 6:40 pm #

Sorry. re-added

10. Guest October 22, 2019 at 2:55 pm #

The Christy Turlington to Adria Arjona looks aren’t coming up. Anyone else?

• Guest October 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm #

Me too

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 22, 2019 at 6:40 pm #

Sorry the image was corrupted. it should be fixed now

• Guest October 22, 2019 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks, Catherine.

11. Guest October 22, 2019 at 2:27 pm #

Laura is giving more Missguided than designer. But she looks ok.
    Nina’s outfit needs better fitting.Too long, too wide… Nice color but I pass.
    The Rick Owens dress is cute but I can’t with the shoes.
    Boobage fitting aside the Prabal is actually interesting. Cute ?.