Menu

May 6, 2015

2015 Met Gala Menswear Roundup

Met Men Matt

With the tidal wave of gowns and tonnes of sparkling embellishment at the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ 2015 Met Gala, hosted at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on Monday (May 4), the guys’ looks were a handsome, albeit less extravagant, accessory to the girls. Rather than attempting to accomplish the Chinese theme, some of the men reverted to safer, traditional tux territory while others bravely went in the direction of the East.

Robert Pattinson: This is the Robert Pattinson I like to see—polished and handsome without losing his edgy, bad-boy charm. His elegant Dior Homme three-piece tuxedo was one of my favourite men’s looks of the night.

James Marsden: The actor infused another layer into his Ermenegildo Zegna ensemble, elevating the look with a cream jacket paired with a white tuxedo shirt and black trousers.

Matt Bomer: Showing off the power of the classics, he was dapper in a dark Giorgio Armani suit and bow tie popped with the hint of colour in his pocket square.

men met 2

Usher: He may have been working a Velcro boot and cane after a foot surgery last month, but it was barely noticeable given his striking Calvin Klein Collection double-breasted black tuxedo that was a successful homage to the Chinese theme, especially when completed by his Louis Leeman slipper shoes that featured gold embellishment.

Common: The crane pin on the lapel of his traditional chocolate Prada tux was a subtle yet effective nod to the theme.

Ansel Elgort: I wasn’t as excited about the sheen or silhouette of of Ansel’s one-button jacket that appeared mismatched to the pants.

men met 3

Miguel: Taking a page from the style books of many of the ladies, the recording artist relied on a vibrant red hue to deliver Chinese inspiration in his Michael Kors custom suit. It certainly stood out on the carpet, but I’m not sure it did so for exactly the right reasons.

Justin Bieber: Also colouring outside the standard suiting lines, the Biebs attempted to reflect the richness of the Chinese culture in his eye-catching Balmain gold dragon-embroidered jacket and black shirting. He lost me with the slouchy pants and hipster shades, though.

Michael B Jordan: Another man who bravely embraced the theme, his lace-embroidered, deep bottle green three-piece Dolce & Gabbana tux was distinctive yet refined. It helped that it fit him like a glove.

men met 4

Eddie Redmayne: Attending the gala with his Valentino Couture-clad wife Hannah Bagshawe, Eddie was also dressed in a Valentino black tux to complete this power couple’s entrance. Yes, we’ve seen him in far more interesting looks, but this one had an undeniable classic sophistication.

Joshua Jackson: With Diane Kruger at his side, the actor exchanged black for dark midnight blue in an Alexander McQueen suit featuring contrasting lapels.

men met 5

Richard Madden: The ‘Game of Thrones’ actor added a differentiating touch to his tux with a white satin bow tie.

Dwyane Wade: The basketballer took his thematic look to new heights in a Versace blue tuxedo, custom red sash, and white bow tie with Buccellati jewels adorning the tie and jacket. I have to say it was far more interesting that his girl Gabrielle Union’s look.

men met 6

Joe Manganiello: Looking like every bit of the handsome stud that he is, the actor suited up in a sturdy and sleek Ermenegildo Zegna dark tuxedo and bow tie with a white dress shirt.

Lenny Kravitz: While I wasn’t impressed by Lenny’s tonal blue pinstripe Valentino tux (or his completely off-theme shades), I have even less affection for Lisa Bonet’s overwrought Valentino Couture embroidered gown which just appeared mumsy and rather drab among the more vivid colours of the evening.

met men 7

Adrien Brody: The actor deserves much credit for being one of the few alongside Usher and Justin Bieber for staying on script. His Chinese embroidered Dolce&Gabbana Alta Sartoria jacket was worthy of much praise.

George Clooney: Nothing but classic Giorgio Armani will do for the actor, and you will get no complaints for me, especially when his red pin pocket square his wife flame red gown.

Credit: Getty

Models @ The 2015 Met Gala

Models @ The 2015 Met Gala

Chanel Resort 2016 Front Row

Chanel Resort 2016 Front Row

29 Responses to 2015 Met Gala Menswear Roundup

1. Nicole June 3, 2015 at 5:42 pm #

The style of Ms. Fan Bingbing looks so cheap for me. It’s shame…

2. Alina May 7, 2015 at 3:14 pm #

Michael B. Jordan and Common.

3. eminere May 7, 2015 at 12:13 pm #

Top row wins, plus Jordan. Bieber looks like a douche.

4. Amy May 7, 2015 at 9:24 am #

Robert P, and Richard M and look amazing.
    Joe M’s tailor deserves a raise cause his suit is tailoring perfection.
    Usher and Justin Bieber deserve a special mention for sticking with the theme. I have to admit I love the Biebs Balmain jacket.
    Michael B’s patterned jacket is great but his pants are too tight for my liking.

5. rebecca o May 7, 2015 at 8:02 am #

That’s the best Robert Pattinson’s ever looked. Michael B Jordan also looked fantastic.

6. Annel May 7, 2015 at 7:39 am #

I never thought I would ever say this, but Bieber was actually on the right track!

A slimmer pant and a less annoying attitude with the shades, and he would probably have been my fave.

I prefer Robert P and Michael B. Jordan though, as it is.

7. Nat39 May 7, 2015 at 3:14 am #

Michael B. Jordan for taking a risk with the full-on pattern, following the theme, while remaining appropriately classic and dapper for the grand event. Also love Robert Pattinson, looking absolutely handsome in his very polished classic look and Common, looking smooth.

• Nat39 May 7, 2015 at 8:17 am #

As for Bieber, I have no words. Looks like he is following a ‘night club’ theme rather than paying tribute to oriental culture. No points from me.

8. Phoenix May 7, 2015 at 2:17 am #

Ha. Im digging Justin Biebers look amazingly. I think he tried the theme out and passed. Its interesting without going into tacky territory. (Ill ignore the sunglasses.)

9. François Bresmal May 7, 2015 at 1:46 am #

I really wish there was like a male Rihanna or Gaga to wear something extravagant & on theme! If there is one night they could do it, it’s the Met Gala night, and men are just so uninspired & unadventurous… There are so many great & strong Chinese menswear costumes and here it’s all tux & white shirts.. So sad

10. Raphael May 7, 2015 at 1:03 am #

Derek Blasberg was amazing, should be here!

11. Anne May 7, 2015 at 1:01 am #

I can’t even believe I’m going to admit this, but I appreciate the look that Justin Bieber put together. One of the few guys that stepped outside the box and into the theme. Now, excuse me while I fling myself off the nearest bridge for complimenting that little punk

12. CreoleLady May 7, 2015 at 12:42 am #

I am distracted by how beautiful Gabrielle Union looks in that dress. The color is fab, love the lip color, clutch and smile. Anyway, some nice looks here among the guys, Usher is working that cane….

13. EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2015 at 12:23 am #

Dwayne Wade, Adrien Brody, Michael b. Jordan, and Commons. Also Richard Madden.

14. Fanny May 6, 2015 at 10:44 pm #

Common, Michael B Jordan and Adrien Brody.

15. DorianGray May 6, 2015 at 10:41 pm #

Brody’s look was served by Dolce & Gabbana.

16. Christy May 6, 2015 at 9:32 pm #

My Top 3 are Adrien Brody, Michael B Jordan, and Richard Madden.

17. Bailey May 6, 2015 at 9:25 pm #

Joshua Jackson’s midnight blue suit is my favourite!

18. Nora May 6, 2015 at 9:13 pm #

How is it that the men’s looks at this event are more impressive and on theme than the womens! They knocked it out of the park. Usher, Common, Eddie, MJordan, and even Biebs deserve applause.

and can I just say eddie redmaynes wife looks spectacular too!

19. Zineb May 6, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

Never thought I’d say this but Justin Bieber looked great and on theme and his is my best dressed male. But oh man, Joe Manganiello. Enough said.

20. justme May 6, 2015 at 8:39 pm #

Usher, the Biebs and MBJ because they followed the theme.

21. Christine May 6, 2015 at 8:27 pm #

BDMOTW worthy looks are Miguel, Robert Pattinson, Justin Bieber and Dwayne Wade

22. Christine May 6, 2015 at 8:27 pm #

BDMOTW worthy looks are Miguel, Robert Pattison, Justin Bieber and Dwayne Wade

23. Fiona-Brasil May 6, 2015 at 8:25 pm #

OMG!The first trio : they are gorgeous!

24. Aocc May 6, 2015 at 8:05 pm #

Rob and Michael are the best ones there, though I loved Hamish Bowles

25. Yeliz May 6, 2015 at 8:00 pm #

Rob and Michael are my favourites here.

26. Nadia99 May 6, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

Best dressed in that order:
    – Common
    – Michael B. Jordan
    – Robert Pattinson

27. Hannah May 6, 2015 at 7:52 pm #

My personal favourite guy at this event (that I’ve seen) was Adrien Brody. I love how he wasn’t afraid of the theme and really took the opportunity to wear a non-standard suit!

28. LoreleiLee May 6, 2015 at 7:49 pm #

For me Michael B. Jordan (so, so, so handsome) is best dressed followed by Usher and then yes even JBiebs. A couple of Chinese friends have said he was more ‘on theme’ than a lot of people at the event.
    Michael looks gorgeous and on theme, I appreciate his willing to take fashion risks.
    Pattinson looks good but his suit wasn’t particularly interesting and Bomer’s suit looks off to me.