21.01.13

Beyonce Knowles In Emilio Pucci -  Ceremonial Inauguration For US President Barack Obama

Beyonce Knowles was accompanied by husband Jay-Z as they made their way along the West Front of the U.S. Capital in Washington, D.C. this morning to take their front-row seats to witness the second inauguration of President Barack Obama – plus, she was also there to perform the national anthem.

The loved-up couple looked very glamorous, with him in a grey Tom Ford suit and Bey mesmerizing in an Emilio Pucci Pre-Fall 2013 black velvet and chiffon beaded cut-out long-sleeved gown under a black fur Dior coat.

Lorraine Schwartz 80 carat emerald earrings and a 50 carat emerald ring provided a dazzling touch to her regal look.

Long two-tone honey-coloured wavy locks provided the finishing touches.

Beyonce looked stunning as always but I’m most impressed with Jay-Z, who scrubbed up very well, looking very distinguished (and, dare I say, ‘grown up’) in his suit.

Credit: Getty

Michelle Obama In Thom Browne - St. John’s Church

Michelle Obama In Thom Browne – St. John’s Church

Taylor Swift's Mark Cross Scottie Satchel

Taylor Swift’s Mark Cross Scottie Satchel

45 Responses to Beyonce Knowles In Emilio Pucci – Ceremonial Inauguration For U.S. President Barack Obama

1. Alina January 21, 2013 at 19:29 #

If you ask me, both of them are BDOTW worthy.

• Yeliz January 21, 2013 at 19:52 #

Agreed. They both look stunning.

• Lukas January 21, 2013 at 22:21 #

Agreed! This couple been looking glamurous than ever. That emerald jewellery and the black gown are so harmonic. BDOTW worthy.

• Christine January 22, 2013 at 02:34 #

+3 They both stepped up their game.

• Jess2 January 22, 2013 at 14:21 #

+4, very lovely! Loving Beyonce’s emeralds, they are the perfect touch.

2. bri January 21, 2013 at 19:29 #

Everything about this look STUNNING. BDOTW and BDOTWC(couple lol) worthy.

3. SilentVisitor January 21, 2013 at 19:43 #

Great performance by Beyonce and she looks stunning.
    During her performance, I was thinking about Whitney Houston singing that anthem… RIP WH

4. justme January 21, 2013 at 19:46 #

She looked amazing. Her hair and makeup were just flawfree.

I’m a Jay-Z fan but I really wish Beyoncé had shown up alone. He cranked up her style lol.

5. mirela January 21, 2013 at 19:52 #

Stunning, both of them. BDOTW for sure.

6. peach January 21, 2013 at 19:56 #

She looked gorgeous and she sounded wonderful.

7. Simon January 21, 2013 at 20:00 #

She is radiant, elegant, loved it !

8. Fanny January 21, 2013 at 20:11 #

Her HAIR!!! It’s so beautiful, and so is she in the gown. BDOTW

9. AW January 21, 2013 at 20:11 #

Jay-Z is so dapper here. Beyonce looks beautiful also, like money lol

It also seems like she’s softened her hair color a bit. For a while it was too brassy but this is lovely.

10. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) January 21, 2013 at 20:19 #

Gorgeousness!!! They both look divine!

11. LizLemooooooon January 21, 2013 at 20:31 #

BDOTY worthy in my humble opinion.

She is IT. She looks like…Christmas morning! The hair is laid and curled to perfection, her make up is stunning and glam, the dress is elegantly sexy and fashionable yet still modest enough for the event, I’m swooning over here!

Jay Z has also never looked better.
    So proud of how well Beyonce did today!

12. Dhppy January 21, 2013 at 20:34 #

Truly a history making diva moment, both in her look and her performance, Beyoncé nailed it.

13. cred419 January 21, 2013 at 22:09 #

Beyonce looks stunning and I love this look and the pop of color with the green earrings, but I just don’t think this dress was “event” appropriate. It this were an awards show, she’d be on point. IJS.

• Marybeth January 22, 2013 at 00:00 #

Agreed, both as to the the gorgeousness of the look and to its not being quite appropriate. It would be perfect for an inaugural ball but isn’t right for a daytime ceremony of this kind. Jay Z, OTOH, nails it on all counts.

14. Rebecca Z January 21, 2013 at 22:17 #

She did look beautiful, but am I the only one who thought that a long gown was a tad inappropriate for this occasion? Jay Z looks fab

• cred419 January 21, 2013 at 22:42 #

I totally agree with you Rebecca Z.

• TeaAtTwo January 21, 2013 at 23:17 #

Lol- she didn’t wear a gown for the first inauguration and that was an even bigger, more historical moment.

• Kate January 22, 2013 at 02:15 #

Not event appropriate? I strongly disagree. This is a presidential inauguration – the nation’s leaders and other dignitaries are all present. It is a nationally broadcasted event, as well as a celebratory and historical event.
      A long gown with sleeves protects her from the cold and looks ELEGANT and TOTALLY event-appropriate.
      If she had worn a louder color and had her hair done in some elaborate fashion, then it might’ve tip-toed into overdressed territory. But as it is? Definitely NOT.

• Lisa A January 23, 2013 at 02:58 #

I totally agree. It was a daytime event and this definitely an evening gown. Also, did you see anyone in an evening gown? I think not. It was the inauguration, not the ball.

• dee January 23, 2013 at 17:41 #

I completely agree. Way over-dressed.

15. TeaAtTwo January 21, 2013 at 22:49 #

I’d take the earrings away but she does look divalicious but in a more classy way. Jay Z looks good in suit.

16. EmmaWoodhouse January 21, 2013 at 23:16 #

I like his suit pretty well but her look reads heavy, OTT, and dated to me.

17. Jeremy January 21, 2013 at 23:25 #

Beyonce is that rarified creature that has an innate sense of elegance and glamour. Even when she’s writhing around in next to nothing. haha. Though, that is clearly not the situation here. Here, she just looks stunning and radiant.

Jay Z has never looked better. Refined and dapper and charming and very much age-appropriate.

I agree with you, SilentVisitor – I, too, thought of Whitney Houston’s iconic rendition of the anthem. I think it’s a testament to Whitney’s greatness that it’s pretty much impossible to top her version of the Star-Spangled Banner. Beyonce’s didn’t reach the stratosphere like Whitney’s, but she did an excellent job and should be very proud of herself on this historical occasion.

• Fashion Critic January 22, 2013 at 00:00 #

Beyonce was close, but like you say Whitney’s rendition is pretty much unbeatable.

18. Kevin January 21, 2013 at 23:49 #

Indeed, BDOTW nominee right here! Both of them.
    Her rendition was just jaw-dropping. Shed a tear, and I’m not even American.

• Fashion Critic January 22, 2013 at 00:01 #

I always get emotional when I hear the anthem too and I’m British :)

19. coupdegrzia January 21, 2013 at 23:58 #

She is beautiful and sounded great, but I thought the gown itself was not event appropriate and wearing fur, which I assume is real, and those giant emeralds, was tacky and tone-deaf, given the occasion and challenges of the country. This was not a red carpet or concert, I think she should’ve shown more awareness of the larger context.

20. Erika January 22, 2013 at 01:21 #

Beyonce looked beautiful but was not dressed event appropriately. A sheer gown for the main inauguration? This wasn’t an inaugural ball or a state dinner or the Met Gala. Something more office chic would’ve been more suitable.

21. serenissima January 22, 2013 at 02:26 #

She always looks overdressed to me. Like a little girl playing dress-up or a country mouse in the city.

22. Pedro January 22, 2013 at 02:27 #

Jay-Z looks amazing, so stylish!

Beyonce looks gorgeous but she was not dressed event appropriately

23. jb January 22, 2013 at 02:41 #

the queen of the day was MObama and she was in an event appropriate coat and day dress and this ego maniac shows up in fur and emeralds at 11 AM and of course her legions of fans live for it. Solange would’ve been dressed funky yet appropriate. how is it she is smart enough to always seems to hit the nail on the head and yet her sister gets so much credit for her streaky vocals and hair. I seriously do not know how these two are related!

• vicky January 22, 2013 at 05:43 #

• LizLemooooooon January 22, 2013 at 14:14 #

Wow, someone sounds angry.
      If the Obamas had a problem with the way Beyonce dresses or performs they wouldn’t have invited her or been so enthusiastic about her after the performance.
      It’s not like she bullied her way there and surely she would have checked what she could or couldn’t wear beforehand.
      Seems to me like you just wanted an excuse to bash Beyonce.

• jb January 22, 2013 at 16:24 #

beyonce or not there is a such thing as decorum a floor length gown at 11 AM is inappropriate. 4 years ago even the queen of soul Aretha toned it down in a great hat and coat. sounds to me someone just wanted to PRAISE beyonce and that is fine because she is a professional performer but she missed her mark with this on. that is all I was saying. but, I do love a good discussion on decorum! and, that to me is what makes someone truly stylish; the ability to be appropriate on all occasions

24. Genevieve January 22, 2013 at 04:55 #

Jay Z looked dapper! Beyonce is gorgeous and her Emilio Pucci gown and Lorraine Schwartz emeralds are stunning, yet better suited for an evening inaugural ball, rather than an afternoon outdoor ceremony. Part of being well dressed is being event appropriate. This look misses the mark.

25. KK January 22, 2013 at 09:55 #

I agree with the others who said it was inappropriate. She looks amazing and this dress and those earrings are DIVINE. But it’s an 11am daytime event and she’s in a long velvet and chiffon cutout beaded gown. This is a nighttime dress if ever there was one. I know she’s an entertainer and Michelle’s the First Lady and therefore they’re on different fashion standards. Michelle is wearing a gorgeous and “dressy” coat with boots. Kelly Clarkson, who also performed, was dressed similarly in a coat and boots. When you’re that far off from other “important” people who are attending the same event as you, I’m sorry but I have to call that a fashion miss.

• Jose Kwan January 22, 2013 at 17:17 #

Beyonce probably wore the gown and out-dressed Michelle Obama and Kelly Clarkson, because she thought they were Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.

• ~abi~ January 22, 2013 at 20:39 #

hahaha! i like beyonce {and i say if you get to perform in front of the world on a very important day, then wear what you feel fabulous in!}, but this made me laugh! :)

26. dami January 22, 2013 at 11:28 #

she looked beautiful but i think she got her inspiration from angelina jolie at the 2010 oscars.

27. Amy January 22, 2013 at 12:32 #

she’s clearly overdressed, even the FLOTUS is wearing a nice coat. Inauguration or not this is Daytime. She looks nice though, the dress is beyautiful (sorry i had to),the hair not so much.
    Btw Jay-Z is the real stunner here, nice to see him wearing something age appropriate. His suit is perfect

28. Shari January 22, 2013 at 21:04 #

As an Iranian girl sitting in Germany and watching the ceremony out of interest. I really have to say Beyonce looked fabulous. This couple is in their appearance true stunning perfection. Really loved the full opulence of the dress. It is a shame that those looks shall only be preserved for really “special” nighttime occasions like some readers here want us to tell.
    Also Michelle Obama really knows how to get the best out of herself. She got me with her look also.