Menu

January 20, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Gwendoline Christie In Rick Owens – 2020 SAG Awards

Posted by Rachel Watkins
Gwendoline Christie In Rick Owens - 2020 SAG Awards

After a bit of a disappointing red carpet at the 2020 Critics Choice Awards, Gwendoline Christie may have started to redeem herself — but perhaps only slightly — at the 2020 SAG Awards on Sunday (January 19) in LA.

This voluminous, tent-like design provided the ultimate theatrics on the Rick Owens Spring 2020 runway.

The statuesque actress certainly had a better chance of pulling it off, and at some angles, there is a certain intrigue to its dark, gothic edge — only enhanced by her oxblood lip.

That said, off the runway, I’m not sure the intricacies of the pleated, robe-like gown translated as well. From the side, some may even liken it to maternity wear because of the generous proportions.

Rick Owens Spring 2020

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , ,

Catherine O’Hara In Marc Jacobs - 2020 SAG Awards

Catherine O’Hara In Marc Jacobs – 2020 SAG Awards

Madeline Brewer In Monique Lhuillier - 2020 SAG Awards

Madeline Brewer In Monique Lhuillier – 2020 SAG Awards

19 Responses to Gwendoline Christie In Rick Owens – 2020 SAG Awards

1. Noor January 28, 2020 at 2:45 am #

Too costumy. Comparing her 2020 choices, I can’t see her new style direction to the front but to back.

2. Guest January 25, 2020 at 4:21 pm #

I’ll give this the benefit of the an unconventional silhouette and of probably presenting better in motion. I like it. I think.

3. ? January 20, 2020 at 12:17 pm #

To me she looks like the good fairy from a gothic version of “Wizard of Oz”, I really don’t know why ??‍♀️?
    I would love to see a close up of her rings. I am a huge fan of a slick, minimal look with just a maximal mix of rings.
    Overall, I am not a fan of the dress but she looks polished and beautiful.

anonymous as always

• Guest January 21, 2020 at 10:44 pm #

Ha! I saw her do the stage production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and her version of Titania (and costumes) reminded me very much of the Good Witch from Wizard of Oz

4. MissCoco January 20, 2020 at 10:50 am #

Love it! Pure modern drama. Very theatrical but not costumey. Really well put together.

5. MissHebble January 20, 2020 at 9:39 am #

This looks like on Drag Race, where they’re wearing something bulky and then whip it off to reveal an amazing outfit underneath. …guessing this wasn’t the case here?! 😉

6. Guest January 20, 2020 at 8:00 am #

While I like the intricate, pleated construction of this gown, the silhouette is not flattering at all. The contrast between the lightness of her skin and hair against all that dark fabric is a bit much. Plus, her hair looks limp and too casual for the red carpet.

7. JessHarps January 20, 2020 at 7:48 am #

Adore h2t. I like the hair too, the side part and softness is nice with the strong lip

8. Guest January 20, 2020 at 5:55 am #

Bad.

9. Guest January 20, 2020 at 2:30 am #

I’m not sure many others could’ve carried this dress. I think her face looks beautiful and so does her hair. I like the gothic thing she’s got going with this.

10. Phee phee January 20, 2020 at 2:08 am #

Its a lot of fabric. the detail didn’t translate.
    She does look pretty good and carries it all well.
    But is also forgettable.

• Phee phee January 20, 2020 at 3:04 am #

Im also finding the hairstyle not right. Too casual. It needed to be pulled back.

11. Guest January 20, 2020 at 2:01 am #

WAY TOO BULKY! That shape and all that black fabric is so heavy, widening, overwhelming and unflattering – just no.

• Guest January 20, 2020 at 3:12 am #

Exactly.

12. Guest January 20, 2020 at 1:36 am #

I’m actually loving the big dress, she pulls it off with her height and her confidence. Hair and make-up is really good also.

13. JasLinds January 20, 2020 at 1:36 am #

Gwendoline and Rick Owens is such an interesting pairing! She totally has the stature and presence to pull off his designs. I kinda love this for her – OTT in the best way. Hair isn’t quite right for this look though.

14. KseniaBradner January 20, 2020 at 1:27 am #

I think this is actually a good pick for someone like Gwendoline, however I think she should have been dramatic with her hairstyle and stunning Stephen Webster gothy earrings. His jewelry suits the mood of this gown. I think this gown had great Gwendoline potential, she just dropped the ball on the hair and jewelry.

• JasLinds January 20, 2020 at 1:35 am #

Totally agree re hair. Pulled back would have been such a strong look.

15. Guest January 20, 2020 at 1:23 am #

A whole queen.
    She’s a tall lady, so she can carry this much dress easily