Menu

January 6, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Cate Blanchett In Mary Katrantzou – 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Posted by Rachel Watkins
Cate Blanchett In Mary Katrantzou - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Cate Blanchett made a glorious return to the red carpet at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards on Sunday (January 5) in Beverly Hills, CA.

And, in so doing, she left me captivated in her first outing of the new decade.

This Mary Katrantzou Spring 2020 gown was spellbinding, what with its bejeweled bodice and plisse layers.

But, the most mesmerizing element was the fan-like, circular halo around the dress that made it all the more an alluring fusion between Renaissance romance and modern elegance.

Queen Cate strikes again.

Stuart Weitzman ‘Nudist’ sandals completed her look.

Cate Blanchett In Mary Katrantzou - 2020 Golden Globe Awards
Mary Katrantzou Spring 2020

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , , ,

Sienna Miller In Gucci - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Sienna Miller In Gucci – 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Reese Witherspoon In Roland Mouret - 2020 Golden Globe Awards

Reese Witherspoon In Roland Mouret – 2020 Golden Globe Awards

49 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Mary Katrantzou – 2020 Golden Globe Awards

1. Paola102 January 13, 2020 at 6:58 pm #

Nice dress and colour, the halo/cape is very interesting.
    I don’t like this type of bodice on Cate, though. Also, the hair is a bit aging on her.

2. Guest January 8, 2020 at 10:42 am #

This is a rare miss for me!

3. Guest January 7, 2020 at 10:07 pm #

Pops better on the runway. I can’t find this aesthetically pleasing, but it’s very Cate and very original, which was already a win on a rather dull night.

4. Noor January 7, 2020 at 4:30 am #

Adorable. It’s totally unexpected and not disappointing. I don’t remember her wearing yellow often. It’s not that bad… I’m in love with bodice, it’s everything.

Finally we were given one memorable look from GGA 2020.

5. Guest January 6, 2020 at 11:39 pm #

MAGNIFICENT!

I am soo in loved with this look! She is divine!

This may be one of the best look she has ever had. Most def BDOTY list worthy already!

Blanchett does not have a major movie coming out this year so Queen Cate may be absent from most of the red carpet, I am afraid

6. Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:21 pm #

I also don’t know what to say about this look. It was completely unexpected, but that’s what I like about Cate.
    The look reminds me a lot of SJP’s look at the Oscars in 2010, mostly because of the same colors. https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/03/08/runway-to-2010-oscars-sarah-jessica-parker-in-chanel-couture/

7. Guest January 6, 2020 at 8:54 pm #

Its interesting for sure, but that doesn’t make me like it

8. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:57 pm #

No me gusta…

9. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:31 pm #

Adore.

10. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:22 pm #

Why can’t everyone just dress like her?!??

11. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:42 pm #

Glorious in every way! A fabulous notch on her red-carpet HOF.

12. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:36 pm #

I know that some of the Twitter users compare Cate’s look to a buttercup lamp shade, however I have gotta give brownie points to Queen Cate for keep pushing fashion boundaries yet still looks stunning!! My only nitpick is I wish her hair was completely slicked back, and I kinda wish it’s in another color, maybe electric blue, but everything else is SPOT ON baby!!

13. Guest January 6, 2020 at 2:20 pm #

BEST DRESSED HANDS DOWN. She never fails to leave me breathless.

14. Sharon M January 6, 2020 at 1:43 pm #

I just hate that piece standing up in the center. What is the reason for that?

15. Guest January 6, 2020 at 1:14 pm #

I love the sleeves, but I just really dislike the cutouts and the colours of the bodice. The hair is a letdown as well, not sleek enough. This would’ve been a potential best dressed of the night if some modification was made.

16. MissHebble January 6, 2020 at 12:39 pm #

I genuinely can’t decide how I feel about this dress. Do I like it? Do I think I like it because its Cate? Do I find the colour a bit off? Is it the jewelled bits? The hair? I don’t know… I just don’t know!

17. Guest January 6, 2020 at 12:39 pm #

She looks great and different. I wish her hair was styled different and a different lip color. She can look a bit washed-out.

18. Guest January 6, 2020 at 12:22 pm #

I saw lots of memes on Twitter, comparing this look to the buttercup shade of table lamps, which makes me burst out of laughter. However I gotta say kudos for Queen Cate to push over boundaries while still looking stunning, maybe is the graceful aura that makes her capable to pull of such unique dress like this, on the fence but kinda like it somehow!!

19. Guest January 6, 2020 at 12:16 pm #

I love fashion forward Cate and I love that she still goes for bold looks like this and at big events like this. I’m not 100% loving it, though. I’m not the biggest fan of the hair and something feels a bit off here

20. lelaid January 6, 2020 at 11:43 am #

I’ve said this a million times about her but she manages to pull off something nobody else could.

21. Guest January 6, 2020 at 11:33 am #

While this is an amazing dress on its own and of course Cate Blanchett can make anything look good, I think it’s a wrong colour for her, it washes her out. Plus, I really dislike the hair here.

22. Catarina_M January 6, 2020 at 10:56 am #

I don’t like the hair or the shoes. And the color washes her out. But I do like the dress and the jewelry.

23. Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:33 am #

Stunning as always.

24. Guest January 6, 2020 at 9:50 am #

I always enjoy seeing Cate Blanchett on the red carpet. Her looks are always so interesting and different, even though I’m not always a fan, and that includes this gown. While I love the plisse detailing, I think it clashes with the beaded dominatrix bodice. I also don’t think the fan-like sleeves were very flattering. And her hairstyle does not frame her face well.

25. Guest January 6, 2020 at 9:12 am #

I’m liking the dress on the model but on Cate I’m not sold. The hairstyle is biggest offender, big hair was probably to match or balance the sleeve but gives a dated look, a sleek do was needed.

26. sueno January 6, 2020 at 8:53 am #

I really hate everything about this dress.

27. Guest January 6, 2020 at 8:51 am #

I know it’s not PC not like everything CB wears but I hate this. I think someone like Danai Gurura would have sold this dress more but unfortunately not Cate. The color doesn’t suit her skin complexion to begin with and the aging hairstyle doesn’t help.

28. Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:59 am #

It’s a no for me this time.
    The dress is interesting but it is not her color and the hair ruins everything.

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 3:20 pm #

I just aw it from the back. Gorgeous!
      Still don’t like the color on her nor the hair.

29. Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:56 am #

I don’t think yellow is her color…I’m a bit disappointed with the choice. She looks good overall, but I’m sure I won’t remember this look in 2 weeks.

30. CharlotteLG January 6, 2020 at 7:54 am #

I don’t really like the dress, I find the fabric looks a bit cheap.
    But it’s something unique and she weats it well for sure, for that I like the whole look.

31. Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:44 am #

Love this. Also makes her look 10 years younger. She looks glorious. Just wish the hair was not so messy. But overall she looks good.

32. Guest January 6, 2020 at 7:42 am #

I wanted to love this because I feel like this is the type of gown that Cate usually slays in. It’s not ugly, I just don’t think it completely works. I love the sleeves and I love the back but I hate the bodice and the fact that it’s not long enough to cover those ugly shoes. Plus, her hair and makeup aren’t working with that shade of yellow.
    It’s dispapointing to say the least because this could’ve been major with some minor tweaking.

33. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:58 am #

Wow. This is one of the most striking and original looks Cate has worn in recent years. The construction of the dress is breathtaking. She looks like some otherworldly cross between Greek goddess and angel and warrior queen. I know it’s only a few days in, but this def goes on my BDOTY list.

34. Guest January 6, 2020 at 6:07 am #

I love MK, but I am not feeling this on Cate. I could see this on Alicia Vikander, but on Cate it just doesn’t gel for me.

35. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:54 am #

I loved this and Cate is one of the few who can pull it off with grace and style. The gown is so unique, ethereal and baroque. Gorgeous!

36. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:52 am #

The color is not good. The hair is too old fashioned. The shoes are horrible. I am not getting the love for this. Yes, it’s interesting but interesting does not make it a good look.

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 8:00 am #

ITA

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 10:46 am #

Needs a sleeker do.

37. P&P January 6, 2020 at 4:46 am #

I absolutely love this collection, this dress, and Cate, but I think the yellow doesn’t really work with her complexion and the styling is odd.

38. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:45 am #

Tbh most of this whole look is a mess (though I like the bodice) including the hair, makeup, the color, the sleeves and the shoes.

39. KseniaBradner January 6, 2020 at 4:35 am #

LOVE it on Cate, didn’t like it on the runway. Oh the magic of Elizabeth Stewart. Those sleeves are f-cking divine.

40. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:25 am #

It’s delightfully weird in a way only Cate could pull off.

41. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:25 am #

This looks cheap and so not Cate.

42. Phee phee January 6, 2020 at 4:24 am #

Certainly unique and stand out!
    Im having problems with the mismatching vibe of the hair. A different hairstyle would of set this a little higher. Maybe slicked back hair?
    I LOVE the fan/halo effect of those sleeves, and the plisse layers. Divine!!

43. JasLinds January 6, 2020 at 4:20 am #

Stunning and so interesting! Cate always keeps us on our toes. Not sure about the shoe choice, but thankfully we can’t really see them.

44. Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:20 am #

I don’t think this shade of yellow suits her much, it’s a bit too pale, but I do like the originality of the design, one of the most interesting looks of the night. I think I’d love to see this gown on someone like Zoe Saldana.

45. Vizual Ninja January 6, 2020 at 4:15 am #

I appreciate her keeping us guessing, I’m always excited to see what she’ll wear. But, I don’t know about this, the colour doesn’t work well with her complexion, and the design whilst unique & interesting, I’m not sure if I like it or not. Curious to see what the others have to say.

• Guest January 6, 2020 at 4:24 am #

Agree about the color, it’s not quite right for her imo. The gown does pop more spectacularly (both in terms of colour and design) on the model, which is expected.