Menu

December 31, 2019 Best Of

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #1

1. Nieves Alvarez In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

Making Nieves Alvarez number one for my Best Dressed Of The Decade, is by far the easiest decision I have ever made when compiling a Best Dressed list on this website.

This Stéphane Rolland Haute Couture gown, which she wore to the 2013 Goya Cinema Awards, will absolutely stand the test of time.

10, 20 years from now, this look will be as relevant, as it is iconic.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Stéphane Rolland is one of the most underrated designers.

Credit: Getty

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #2

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #2

Beyonce Knowles' David Koma Sequin Dress

Beyonce Knowles’ David Koma Sequin Dress

24 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #1

1. Guest January 3, 2020 at 9:49 pm #

Do you remember Lucy Liu in Carolina Herrera on Golden Globes? She definitely deserves a place here 🙂

2. Guest January 2, 2020 at 1:44 pm #

What about our beautiful FLOTUS Melania.. I can think of dozens of dresses she has worn with elegance and grace. BIAS article

• Guest January 2, 2020 at 6:47 pm #

The current FLOTUs has worn nothing that is worth considering for Best of the Decade. Maybe one can debate whether she should be covered by this blog (I happen to agree with FC on not covering her), but there is no way Melania belongs in any fashion summary of the decade. None of her looks so far are iconic enough. She still has, at least a year, to make it happen though.

3. Guest January 1, 2020 at 5:15 pm #

I love number 1. However, this is not the whole decade. The decade ends next year (the last of ten years needs to finish).

• Guest January 2, 2020 at 3:10 am #

Time starts counting at 0. So it is a new decade.

• Guest January 2, 2020 at 9:14 am #

Well, I guess we can both be right…

• Guest January 2, 2020 at 11:37 am #

I mean, strictly speaking time starts counting at 1 – there was no year 0, after year 1 BC it was year 1 AD. But I doubt anyone other than me really cares…

• Guest January 3, 2020 at 9:46 pm #

I care 🙂 this is how scientific world is counting!

4. Guest January 1, 2020 at 5:05 pm #

First of all, thanks to Catherine, the whole team and the readers for an amazing decade of red carpet fashion commentary. Now on to the decade’s best dressed, imo.

Between the Readers’ and the Critic’s lists, four of my favourite looks were included (which isn’t bad considering I tend to disagree with best dressed choices a lot). Some looks I’m missing include Tilda Swinton’s Haider Ackermann from the 2012 Golden Globes and Gwyneth Paltrow’s caped Tom Ford dress at the 2012 Oscars.

Not going to lie, I never understood what people loved about Aishwarya’s Michael Cinco Couture dress – it’s the one pick that completely baffles me.

I think Lupita and Diane Kruger both deserved spots, they had many memorable looks over the last decade. My choices were Lupita’s blue Gucci at the 2014 SAG Awards and Diane’s Dior gown in Cannes in 2012.

Not surprised that Cate’s Lacroix gown made it although I voted for her much more fashion-forward Balenciaga look at the ‘Blue Jasmine’ New York premiere.

But I couldn’t be happier that Nieves’s Stephane Rolland topped both lists, it was one of my favourites as well.

5. Guest January 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm #

Great choices Catherine. Happy New Year and here’s to another fabulous decade of RCFA!

6. Noor January 1, 2020 at 7:03 am #

I hope to see more of Stéphane Rolland Couture dresses on red carpet in 2020.

7. Guest January 1, 2020 at 4:56 am #

Happy New year!!

Thank tou so much for your work, FC.

May 2020 bring us plenty of Joy, peace and fashion!!

Love from Brazil.

8. KseniaBradner January 1, 2020 at 2:48 am #

This was perfection so it was worthy.

9. Guest January 1, 2020 at 12:50 am #

I couldn’t think of a more deserving winner than Nieves. She consistently kills it on the red carpet, while taking risks and being anything but predictable.

Happy new year FC! Looking forward to your coverage in the coming decade 🙂

10. Guest December 31, 2019 at 10:30 pm #

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2020s is wonderful for all.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 11:04 pm #

I’ll join you here :)) Happy New Year everyone and all the best for 2020!

• Noor January 1, 2020 at 6:59 am #

Happy new Year all!

11. Guest December 31, 2019 at 9:30 pm #

Overall:
    Happy about #1!
    Pleasantly surprised to see Zendaya’s butterfly look, somehow I didn’t think she’d be included, this look made my top 10.
    Baffled by the absence of Celine Dion’s Stephane Roland – one of the most remarkable, incredible and impactful looks ever, without a question, sorry.

12. Guest December 31, 2019 at 9:04 pm #

It does feel like a rarity and forever since we’ve seen Rolland’s work on the red carpet – Keri Russell at Star Wars premiere aside. Stéphane Rolland Couture, Alexis Mabille Couture and Ronald Van Der Kemp are a few designers that I would love to see being worn more often.

13. alvarospain December 31, 2019 at 8:59 pm #

Perfection, we can see it in the results of both lists: Nieves is #1 in the readers’ and critics’ list.

I’m so proud of my Spanish girl! Go Nieves! ??

14. Guest December 31, 2019 at 8:39 pm #

J’adore.

15. Guest December 31, 2019 at 7:58 pm #

I’m excited for the Golden Globes on Sunday. Hope there’s some amazing red carpet BDOTY worthy looks ?

16. Guest December 31, 2019 at 7:49 pm #

Perfection. Everything was right with this.

17. Phee phee December 31, 2019 at 6:59 pm #

YESSSS! This is beyond astonishing. If Karolina Kurkovas didn’t have such an emotional spot in my heart, I would of chosen this.
    I love Stephen Rolland designs. This is the top of the top.
    It is perfection. period.