Menu

October 7, 2019

Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

A-list celebrities were out in force on Saturday (October 5) for the grand opening of Tyler Perry’s studios in Atlanta.

The director, screenwriter, producer and playwright made history as the only Black man to own a major movie studio in the US.

The Carters:  The red carpet shy duo were the main attraction – aside from the man of the hour of course.  Jay-Z was looking smart in Tom Ford, while Beyonce was sparkling in a yellow beaded creation by the Kuwaiti based designer Yousef Al Jasmi, which has been previously worn by Keke Palmer at the 2019 MTV VMAs. Anabela Chan’s sustainable diamond chandelier earrings and Roger Vivier clutch completed her look.

Halle Berry: The actress had the right idea in this House of Holland black satin suit, but sadly the terrible fit let her down.

Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

Tiffany Haddish:  The actress was just one of many working the metallic silver and black trend of the night in Vivienne Westwood.

Tika Sumpter:  The ‘Mixed-Ish’ actress shone brightly in her Rasario Fall 2018 look which served up sparkling elegance.

Michelle Williams:  I’m not sure what to make of this Malan Breton look.  Beautiful as it is, I feel like it would’ve worked better at the Wearable Art Gala.

Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

Viola Davis: There is nothing better than the sight of Viola Davis in a bold hue, and this hot-pink Jay Godfrey jumpsuit with a skirt overlay, is no exception.

Storm Reid:  The ‘Euphoria’ star was repping her co-stars Tommy x Zendaya Fall 2019 collection in this three-piece suit.   Styled with a braided updo and white pumps, this was by far my favourite look from this event.  She looked elegant, yet still youthful.  The tailoring has me thinking I might need to invest this collection myself.

Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

Monica: This Alexandre Vauthier velvet gown creates a statuesque silhouette, but this look would’ve turned heads mostly for the hot pink hue.

Kelly Rowland: I was in love with Kelly in this gold embellished Nicolas Jebran Spring 2019 gown, until I got the pointy pumps.  The Marzook ‘Pill’ clutch was far more complementary.

Taraji P. Henson:  Am I the only one that feels that despite this Christopher Kane dress being decked out with feathers, that it feels a little flat?

Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

Tina Knowles: Beyonce’s mum was on hand to remind us of the elegance and drama of Alexander McQueen’s tailoring in this Fall 2019 suit.

Ava DuVernay:  Yup.  This is a custom Greta Constantine red mock-neck long-sleeve tea-length high low dress is a very familiar silhouette for the director, but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…right?

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Margot Robbie's Mellow Yellow Attico Suit For Comic-Con

Margot Robbie’s Mellow Yellow Attico Suit For Comic-Con

Penelope Cruz, Gilded In Gold Chanel Haute Couture For The 'Wasp Network' New York Film Festival Premiere

Penelope Cruz, Gilded In Gold Chanel Haute Couture For The ‘Wasp Network’ New York Film Festival Premiere

18 Responses to Tyler Perry Studios Grand Opening

1. Jess Mara October 9, 2019 at 2:53 am #

What is going on with Halle Berry 0 that suit is so ill fitting that I would think it was taken straight from the runway!!!
    Many messy and unflattering looks among this bunch – though Bey looks great.

2. Guest October 9, 2019 at 12:25 am #

Beyonce with the dark hair makes me melt! So gorgeous

3. mandelagarvey October 8, 2019 at 4:00 pm #

storm and tina knowles are my favourites

4. Sharon M October 8, 2019 at 11:30 am #

I don’t understand how Halle Berry could have looked in the mirror and left the house in that.

5. MissCoco October 8, 2019 at 11:24 am #

Viola teaching us as always! She’s so gorgeous and she knows what’s good for her. Tifanny looks great too. Stormi, divine but a bit mature.

6. Guest October 7, 2019 at 10:43 pm #

Wow, Halle Berry looks HORRIBLE. The hat, the fit, the fabric everything is so wrong. Also, Tika’s dress was way to tight. Not a well dressed event (minus Storm).

7. Guest October 7, 2019 at 10:22 pm #

How is Beyonce wearing dresses that have been previously worn to events? Kind of surprised at that- I expected her to be first time only.

8. Phee phee October 7, 2019 at 10:05 pm #

Storm looks amazing. By the best of the group. So grown up and still youthful. Just beautiful.
    looks like Zendayas line is far superior to Rihannas line. Makes me wonder if Zendaya is bad at anything……

9. Guest October 7, 2019 at 9:24 pm #

Beyonce’s curves in that dress ?. I like the darker hair too. Monica’s dress is nice.
    Halle’s and Michelle’s outfits both look terrible

10. Guest October 7, 2019 at 6:05 pm #

Wow, Storm Reid is growing up, love, love, love.

11. Guest October 7, 2019 at 5:51 pm #

Storm looks great. Viola looks great in that color but I do not love the fit of the top portion. Most of the rest are ranging from meh to quite bad. Michelle’s dress remind me of a gardening tote. It’s actually pretty ridiculous looking but because she is slender, it does not look as crazy as it could look. I don’t hate Beyonce’s look as much as other commenters (I get it: she is channeling Jessica Rabbit) but I do wish she had chosen a different bag and simpler earrings. I’d like to see Tina’s suit again. For some reason, it is not working on her but it is quite interesting.

12. Guest October 7, 2019 at 3:55 pm #

storm is awesome….ava looks great….halle is mess ,,,,but for a while its been a mess….no thought in her outfits!!!!…..such a shame….xxjess

13. Guest October 7, 2019 at 3:08 pm #

Storm is only one I like here. Beyonce’s dress is awful. She looks deformed.

14. Guest October 7, 2019 at 2:33 pm #

Michelle’s dress looks like it came with cup holders or places for tools. LOL

15. Guest October 7, 2019 at 2:32 pm #

A lot of really disappointing looks here. I was hoping for more from Viola, Tika, and Taraji. Their outfits just seem so boring and safe—where’s the fireworks, ladies?
    My favorites are Ava and Storm. They look great!
    I wish Beyonce didn’t bring that mother-of-the-bride clutch; otherwise, it’s a pretty solid Beyonce outfit.

16. KseniaBradner October 7, 2019 at 2:26 pm #

I love what Michelle Williams is wearing, Tiffany Haddish looks very nice, love the color of Ava’s dress, Storm’s look is cool, love Viola’s dress color.

17. Paola102 October 7, 2019 at 2:23 pm #

Stormy’s look is so smart. I love the fit and the colour. I just think it’s not for a red carpet…
    I love Viola’s outfit. It compliments her colouring so well, and don’t get me started on those curls.
    Tiffany’s dress is nice as well, it’s an interesting fabric for a Westwood’s dress.
    And what was Halle Berry thinking? the shirt is 2 sizes too small, the blaser 2 sized too big and the pants are pulling and pooling….with a fabric that does not forgive. ?

18. Guest October 7, 2019 at 2:08 pm #

Stormy and Viola are the only ones worth my attention. The rest is either a mess or extremely unflattering and boring.